Room Selection Dates
Know the Basics
Incoming students are considered to be 1Ls, Transfers, LLMs, incoming SJDs, and exchange students. However, because the grouping process takes place during the official application period in April, transfers and exchange students will not be able to create groups.
Groups are created during the HAHLS housing application process, and must be formed by the end of the housing application period. See Housing Application Dates for information on deadlines. Students will not be able to create groups after the housing application deadline for incoming students. Students can search for another student to group with on the “Suitemate” page of the HAHLS application. The HAHLS suitemate pages will walk you through the basic process of creating a group. Here is some detailed information about creating a group that you might need:
- Incoming students will be able to create groups with only one other student of their same student classification. This means 1Ls will only be able to group with one other 1L, LLMs with LLMs, etc.
- Although a group can only have 2 students in it, that group is not limited to only 2 bedroom suites. This means that a group of 2 students can still select to live in 5 Mellen St even though that house has 7 rooms.
- Students are not obligated to select a room with their group mate(s). Students can decide to log on and select a space individually, instead of having the group leader select for all group members. Creating a group does not require that group mates select a space together.
- Creating a group does not restrict students from viewing the entire available room inventory. During Room Selection Windows, students can view the available vacancies and decide at that time whether or not they would like to select a space for themselves individually, or select as a group. There is no need to cancel your group if you decide to select individually.
Search for a Groupmate(s)
A student can search for a suitemate in several ways:
- Suitemate Auto Search – If you do not already know another student with whom you want to live, you can use the “Suitemate Auto Search” to generate potential suitemates. You will be able to see your match percentage with other students by using the profile questions you both answered earlier in your applications.
- Search by Details – If you already know the student with whom you want to live, you can search for that person using their name, HUID, or birth date. You will only be able to search for people who have completed the “Suitemate Opt In” page of their housing application.
- Search by Profile – If you do not already know another student with whom you want to live, you can search for a potential suitemate by specific profile answers they supplied in their housing application.
Create a Group
- Once a student finds another student with whom he wants to live, he may request that that person be his suitemate. HAHLS will automatically email that student informing him that someone has requested to be his suitemate, and saying that he must login to HAHLS in order to accept or decline that request.
- Suitemate requests must be accepted by the housing application deadline in order for students to select rooms as suitemates.
- Students can remove themselves from a group on the “Suitemate” page of the HAHLS application.
- Suitemates will receive the same room selection window.
- During room selection, in order to select a suite together, one of the suitemates will need to assign himself and his suitemate to a suite.
- Either suitemate will be able to assign the other suitemate to a room. It does not have to be the person that initially made the suitemate request.
- Students who have entered into a group can later decide to select individually.
- Students who are suitemates have the option of selecting a suite together, but they do not have to. Students in a group can still decide to individually select their own rooms outside of the group they have created. To do so, the student may log onto their own housing application to participate by themselves.
Sign Your Contract
- Once a suitemate assigns himself and his suitemate to a room, both students will need to sign their own housing contracts within three days of the room being selected. This means that each student must login to HAHLS and sign his own contract. Room reservations will expire if the student has not signed his contract within 3 days of the room being selected. The student who assigns himself and his suitemate should make sure to notify the suitemate once he has assigned him to a room.
- If one of the suitemates, for any reason, cancels his HAHLS application, it will dissolve the group that he is in. However, it will not delete the application of his suitemate. If the suitemate cancels after room selection, cancelling will delete the group booking.
- Once group members have been assigned to a room, any member of that group can individually swap their room using Room Swap.