The Dean of Students Office is your primary advocate and resource for navigating life at Harvard Law School. We’re here to help every step of the way, whether you’re trying to navigate your coursework, a life event, or preparing for the bar. Please contact us or make an appointment to learn more about our student support services.
Support Where You Need It
Academic & Personal Support
The Dean of Students Office can help with referrals for academic support and assist with navigating a range of personal circumstances that may arise during your time at HLS.
The Dean of Students Office can provide support for a range of personal circumstances that occur during exam period.
Handbook of Academic Policies
The “HAP” is your source for policy at HLS.
HLS records classes upon request for various reasons, some of which fall under the DOS purview. Learn more about recording policies and processes here.
Health and wellness at HLS means resources for mind, body, and spirit.
Visit The Well to find everything from physical health and athletic activities to mental and emotional support.
The basics of 1L: sections, holding events & the BSA. Learn about it all here!
Replace Your Tent Card
Most professors request or require students to display their name tent card during class sessions. If you are a current student and have lost the tent card that was provided to you previously, please submit a request to replace your tent card.
Please note: this form is NOT for incoming students–all incoming students will automatically be given their first tent card at the beginning of the fall term.
LOA and Visits Out
DOS facilitates personal and medical leaves of absence, as well as visits to other law schools due to hardship or for specialized study.
Students seeking information regarding these programs should review the program-specific information linked below and contact DOS at email@example.com with any further questions.
Berkeley Exchange Program
The Berkeley Exchange Program was designed for the purpose of enhancing the educational opportunities available to law students at both Harvard and Berkeley by providing them with exposure to a different faculty and student body.
During the J-term of your 2L year, you can petition the Administrative Board, via email to the Dean of Students Office, to study at Berkeley in your 3L year.
For procedures and general information about the program, please visit our Berkeley Exchange webpage. Information on the program and deadlines can also be found in sections III.F.2 and IX of the Handbook of Academic Policies.
In addition, interested students should consult SFS’s Financial Aid Policy Overview and Berkeley Exchange Financial Information. It is recommended to speak with the Registrar’s Office to confirm your status before submitting your application and finalizing your 2L spring schedule.
Visits At Other Law Schools
The Program for Visits at Other Law Schools is available for HLS students who desire to study out of residence at another ABA accredited law school due to personal hardship or significant academic need. In order to participate in this program, you must petition the HLS Administrative Board through the Dean of Students Office.
For information on policies and deadlines, please visit sections III.F.3 and IX of the Handbook of Academic Policies. In addition, interested students should consult SFS’s Financial Aid Policy Overview and Financial Information for Visits at Other Law Schools.
Applying to visit away from Harvard Law School:
- Before planning a visit, make sure you have an audit of your credits and what you must complete by third year.
- Petition the Administrative Board via email to the Dean of Students explaining your reasons for wanting to study at another school. Please include the following information:
- The school(s) you wish to visit
- Your plans to complete the professional responsibility requirement
- Contact the other law school to determine their criteria for allowing visits (contingent on HLS Administrative Board approval).
- Once accepted, your courses and academic program at the other school must be approved in advance by the Registrar’s Office.
Visits into HLS
HLS will consider students currently enrolled at other ABA accredited law schools for a one-semester or one-year visit to the Law School only in cases based on exceptional circumstances.
- Applications are only accepted from students currently attending ABA accredited law schools.
- You must petition the HLS Administrative Board by emailing the Dean of Students Office with an explanation of the reasons you want to study at Harvard Law School. Please address your letter to the secretary of the Administrative Board.
- Your application must include a certified transcript from your home law school.
Please note that students visiting Harvard Law School as part of the Visiting Program will receive their law degrees from their home law school and will be subject to the academic rules of their home institution as well as those of Harvard Law School.
Interested students should also refer to Financial Information for Visits into HLS.