Fellow at the Program on Science, Technology and Society (STS) – Harvard Kennedy School
msudai at sjd.law.harvard.edu
“Social Movements and the Politics of Health – From the Laws of Nature to the Laws of Men”
Maayan’s dissertation examines the phenomenon of health activism from a legal perspective and asks, what are the legal means that health social movements have in order to influence medical standard of care? Through a close analysis of selected health social movements’ legal struggles, Maayan’s research examines the complex relationship between medical professional autonomy and the authority of law, when confronted through the actions of patient advocacy organizations.
Fields of Research and Supervisors
- Health Law and Bioethics with Professor I. Glenn Cohen, Harvard Law School, Principal Faculty Supervisor
- Law and Social Movements with Professor Janet E. Halley, Harvard Law School
- Gender Analysis of Science with Professor Sarah S. Richardson, the Department of the History of Science, Harvard University
Additional Research Interests
- Law and Technology, STS (Science Technology and Society studies)
- Evidence Law, Expert Evidence
- Property Law
- Law, Gender and Sexuality
- History of Science and Medicine
- Harvard Law School, S.J.D. Candidate 2014-Present
- Harvard Law School, LL.M. Program 2013-2014 (requirements fulfilled, degree waived)
- University of Haifa, Israel, LL.B. & B.A. in East Asian Studies, 2012
Academic Appointments and Fellowships
- Harvard Law School, 2015-2016, Petrie-Flom Center for Health Law and Bioethics, Student Fellow
- Harvard Kennedy School, 2016-2017, Program on Science, Technology and Society (STS), Predoctoral Fellow
- Harvard College, 2016-2017, Medical Ethics and History, Teaching Assistant
- Revisiting The Limits of Professional Autonomy – The Intersex Rights Movement’s Path to Demedicalization, 41 Harv. J.L. & Gender (forthcoming, 2017).
- Changing Ethical Norms for DSD Management, The Lancet Diabetes & Endocrinology (forthcoming, 2017).
- The Testosterone Rule- Constructing Fairness in Professional Sport, Journal of Law and the Biosciences (forthcoming, 2017).
- Intersex people and the law, in LGBT RIGHTS IN ISRAEL – LAW, SEXUALITY AND GENDER IDENTITY 797 (2016, with Sagit Mor and Or Shai).
- Intersex Normalization Surgery – From Absence to Presence, 44 MISHPATIM Law Rev (The Hebrew University Law Review) 89 (2014, with Sagit Mor and Or Shai).
2015-2016- Contributor at the Petrie-Flom Center Blog “Bill of Health” writing on the intersections of law, society and health.
2010-2014- Co-founder and Writer at Feminist Blog “Reuma” . The blog has received wide media references, both in local and International press, and is committed to feminist activism.
Languages: English, Hebrew
Last Updated: April 30, 2017