Your browser does not support JavaScript

Student Accounts and Expenses

Student account notices for the 2017-2018 academic year were sent by the Harvard University Student Accounts Office to students at their Harvard Law School email addresses in July. For LL.M. students, the charges on their account include the following items:

  • Tuition
  • Student Health Services fees and Student Health Insurance Plan fees
  • Activities fee
  • Residence hall (fall semester fee) or first months’ Harvard University Housing rent (if any), together with any associated insurance and/or meal plan charges

Tuition and fees for the whole year (and rent, if any, billed for residence hall or affiliated housing) must be paid in full before LL.M. students will be permitted to register for the fall semester. LL.M. students will also be responsible for their spring semester residence hall fee or monthly Harvard University Housing rent when it is billed. S.J.D. students are billed by semester.

Sponsored Billing

Students who have a sponsoring organization that will be paying Harvard University directly for all or part of the student’s tuition and fees must complete and submit the Third-Party Billing Form (available in the admissions binder or on the Admitted Students website). The student’s sponsor will receive a separate billing statement and payment instructions from Harvard University’s Third Party Billing Office. Students are responsible for paying the items on their student accounts that the sponsor will not be paying. In addition, if the student’s sponsor fails to pay the agreed-upon amount, the student is responsible for paying all charges remaining on the student’s account before the end of the academic year. Third-Party Billing Forms should be sent to:

Graduate Program Financial Aid
Harvard Law School
Graduate Program, WCC 5005
1585 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge, MA 02138

Fax: (617) 496-9179

Financial Aid Credits

Students who have accepted a scholarship and/or loan from the Graduate Program or the Harvard University Committee on General Scholarships may deduct the amount of any such financial aid when paying their student bill, unless this amount is already reflected on the student account under the
heading “Anticipated Financial Aid.”

NOTE: Students who have accepted financial aid from any non-Harvard sources may not deduct any part of such aid from their amounts due (unless the financial aid will be paid directly to Harvard by a sponsor who has submitted a Third- Party Billing Form; please see above for information on sponsor payments).

Each student who accepts a student loan as part of their financial aid package must attend a loan information session during Orientation. International students with student loans must also present their passports, visa documents, and local identity cards (e.g., driver’s license or national identity card) to comply with verification requirements.


Other Student Account Notices

After the initial account notice, students will receive periodic emails when charges, credits, or payments are posted to their account. No account notices will be sent if the student’s account has a zero balance and there is no activity for the applicable period. It is the student’s responsibility to pay any outstanding balances by the due date and to keep his or her account current. No diploma will be awarded to any student with an outstanding balance on their bill.

Health Insurance and Dental Insurance

All registered students are automatically enrolled in the University Health Service Plan. The total fee, which includes access to services provided by the University Health Clinic, Blue Cross/Blue Shield insurance coverage, and prescription drug coverage, is $3,718 for the academic year. The Health Services fee is mandatory and cannot be waived by any student who is in residence.

The Massachusetts Division of Health Care Finance and Policy has issued regulations that set the minimum standards for a student health insurance program. To waive participation in the Harvard-sponsored Blue Cross/Blue Shield insurance plan, you must show that you have alternative health insurance that is comparable to these minimum standards. Further information regarding these standards and waiver eligibility is available at:

To apply for a waiver online, please carefully review all information and follow the instructions available at:

Insurance coverage for a spouse and other dependents is also available if you specifically apply for such coverage within the open enrollment period (i.e., before July 31 for the fall term, and before January 31 for the spring term). For more information, please visit:

Enrollment forms for dependents are available at the Health Clinic located in the Smith Campus Center, 75 Mt. Auburn Street, Cambridge, or by download from:

The Graduate Program strongly recommends that each student also obtain optional dental insurance. You will not be automatically enrolled in dental coverage. To enroll, please visit The deadline to enroll for the academic year is September 30 (no exceptions).

Payment of Student Accounts

All students are expected to pay amounts due on their student accounts on a timely basis. No diploma will be awarded to any student with an outstanding balance. In some cases, the actual degree will be withheld until the balance is paid in full.

Any student who leaves the University with an amount due on the student account that is unpaid for 60 days or more may be subject to collection activities. The costs associated with collecting an unpaid account will be added to the student’s outstanding debt and must be paid in full.

Student bills may be paid online or by money order, check, Western Union, or wire transfer, but not by cash or credit card. All payments are to be made in U.S. currency. Checks must be drawn on a U.S. bank (or a bank with a U.S. branch indicated on the check) and made out to “Harvard University,” with your name and Harvard student identification (“HUID”) number clearly written on the check.

For more information about the acceptable forms of payment, please visit:

To pay a student bill by wire transfer, please wire the money to the following account:

Bank Number: ABA# 026009593
Bank Name: Bank of America
Bank Address: 100 Federal Street, Boston, MA 02110
Account Name: President & Fellows of Harvard College SRO
Account No.: 942926-3103
Swift No.: BOFAUS3N
Memo: Student Accounts Office (+617-495-4187)
Identifier: Full name of student, student’s HUID, and sender’s name and address

Please note that though wires are subject to fees, neither Harvard University nor its bank charges for the receipt of wire transfers. International wires are subject to a fee charged by an intermediary bank between the sending and the receiving banks. Please check with your bank to determine what, if any, fees may apply to your wire transfer and be sure to adjust the amount of your transfer accordingly.

Important Tax Information for Foreign Students

If you are a foreign student and you receive a scholarship from a U.S. source, you may be subject to a 14% withholding of U.S. federal income tax on the amount of your scholarship that exceeds tuition and mandatory fees. However, if you come from a country that has a tax treaty with the United States, you may be exempt from such tax withholding. (Note that tax withholding is not necessarily the amount of tax you owe— even if tax is withheld, you may not actually owe tax and may receive a refund and, conversely, even if tax is not withheld, you may actually owe tax when you file your tax return.)

For more information on tax withholding for foreign students, please visit: and The Harvard University Financial Services (UFS) Office helps international students determine their tax residency status and apply for tax treaty benefits. Please contact the UFS at with any questions about tax residency or tax treaties. Please note that although a tax treaty may exempt your scholarship (and/or earnings, if any) from tax, you are still required to file an income tax return (report). (You will receive more information about this from the Harvard International Office.)