Kennedy Sinclair Scholar
Affiliate at the Berkman Klein Center for Internet and Society
ebietti at sjd.law.harvard.edu
The Justice of Online Gatekeeper Regulation
My research focuses on the regulation of large online gatekeepers such as Google or Facebook, explain the evolution of the law underlying these actors’ business models and asks what types of constitutional and other obligations these companies have towards their users. I explore these questions primarily through non-consequentialist moral and political philosophy. My goal is to contribute to laying some of the theoretical foundations for a better understanding of the increasingly important societal role of online gatekeepers, and to guide policymakers in determining appropriate regulatory interventions in this area.
Fields of Research and Supervisors
- Internet Regulation, Law and Policy with Professor Yochai Benkler, Harvard Law School, Principal Faculty Supervisor
- Comparative EU-US Perspectives on Cyberlaw and Privacy with Professor Urs Gasser, Harvard Law School
- Constitutional Theory, Nonconsequentialist Normative Ethical Theory and Political Philosophy with Professor Richard Fallon, Harvard Law School
Additional Research Interests
- Intellectual Property
- Antitrust Law
- First Amendment
- Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning
- Technology Ethics
- Consumer Law
- Property Law
- Harvard Law School, S.J.D. Candidate 2017-Present
- Oxford University, Diploma in Intellectual Property Law and Practice, 2016
- Harvard Law School, LL.M., 2012
- University College London, LL.B., 2011
Academic Appointments and Fellowships
- Berkman Klein Center for Internet and Society, 2017- present, Affiliate
- Kennedy Sinclair Scholar, 2019-20, Harvard University
- Edmond J. Safra Center for Ethics, 2018-19, Eugene P. Beard Graduate Fellow
- Harvard Law School, 2018-19, Teaching Fellow
- Harvard Law School Graduate Program Fellow, 2018-19, Writing Teaching Assistant
- Consent as a Free Pass: Platform Power and the Limits of the Informational Turn, Pace Law Review (2020), https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3489577.
- The Discourse of Consent and Control over Data in EU Data Protection Law and Beyond, Aegis Paper Series, Hoover Institution (2020), https://www.hoover.org/profiles/elettra-bietti.
- From Ethics Washing to Ethics Bashing: A View on Tech Ethics from Within Moral Philosophy, Proceedings of ACM FAT* Conference (FAT* 2020), https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3513182.
- Locked-in Data Production: User Freedom and Capture in the Platform Economy, Working Paper, https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3469819. A short version of this paper has been published on the Edmond J. Safra Center for Ethics’ For the Record Blog (May 13, 2019): https://ethics.harvard.edu/elettra-bietti-may-13-2019.
- Dissolving Privacy One Merger at a Time: Competition, Data and Third Party Tracking, (with Reuben Binns), https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3269473, Computer Law and Security Review (2020). Short version on the DLI Blog.
- Data is power: Towards additional guidance on profiling and automated decision-making in the GDPR, 2 Journal of Information Rights, Policy and Practice (2017) (with Frederike Kaltheuner), https://doi.org/10.21039/irpandp.v2i2.45.
- Languages: English, Italian, French
- Qualified to practice law in: New York, USA (2013), England and Wales (2016)
Last Updated: January 22, 2020