Your browser does not support JavaScript

The HLS Financial Office manages the payroll for Research Assistants paid out of faculty funds as well as program and class Teaching Assistants and the Board of Student Advisers. All other RAs should report to HLS Human Resources.

Hiring Forms and Getting on the Payroll

The US Department of Homeland Security requires that individuals beginning work in the US submit work eligibility documents (I-9 and supporting documentation) to the HLS Financial Office within three business days of beginning their employment.

Prospective RAs and TAs must visit the Financial Office prior to beginning their work assignment to fill out hiring forms and have their work eligibility verified.

International Students must have their employment authorization verified prior to beginning work, and should not assume they are automatically eligible to work in the United States. Visit the HLS Financial Office with your passport and immigration documents as soon as you are offered employment and accept a position, however note that you may not begin work until your eligibility is verified. You may be required to update your work authorization documents if your visa status changes or if you are studying in the US for more than one year. International Students are prohibited from working past their employment authorization date and must resubmit updated work authorization documents prior to beginning/continuing their work in the US.

If you have any questions about your employment eligibility, visit the Harvard International Office Employment Website.

When visiting the Financial Office to fill out your hiring paperwork, please remember to bring the following documents with you:

  • RA or TA Set-up form, signed by manager/faculty/faculty assistant (see forms below)
  • US Citizens – Passport. In lieu of a passport, you can bring one document proving your identity and one proving employment authorization, e.g. driver’s license/state ID/school ID and either a social security card or birth certificate (certified copy is OK)
  • International Students – US Permanent Resident Card or passport and all original immigration documents (visa, I-94 departure record, I-20/DS2019/I-797)
    **Note: International Students must have or apply for a US Social Security Number to work at HLS. For more information on obtaining a SSN, visit the Harvard International Office**
  • Cancelled check and/or bank account information for direct deposit sign-up

For more information on required acceptable documents for submitting with your I-9, please see the U.S. Citizen and Immigration Services Website.

Entering Time and Paychecks

During the academic year, registered students are only permitted to work 20 total hours per week, even if a student is working for more than one faculty member.

Beginning 9/1/19 RA’s and TA’s on the weekly payroll must enter their hours electronically in PeopleSoft on a weekly basis by 5PM on Thursday for the week ending that Saturday for paychecks the following Friday.  Directions for entering time are here.

Useful Forms and Links

University Payroll Policies and Information