Most departments will have a student employee at some point during the year, sometimes providing administrative or program support and sometimes working as RA’s or TA’s. Students who will be paid out of the Faculty Allowance are hired and set-up in the Finance Office. If the student will be paid out of program or department funds, the HR Office sets them up.
All TA’s must be approved by Dean Claypoole in the Dean’s Office.
All RA’s and TA’s are paid at the standard rate of $12 per hour. Any changes in the rates must be approved. Check with Finance for approval process.
No person should start work without filing the necessary forms and paperwork! Anyone who will be getting a paycheck from Harvard University must:
- be legally eligible to work in the U.S. International students must not start working until their eligibility has been established.
- provide original documents to establish their identity.
International Students must have their employment authorization verified prior to beginning work, and should not assume they are automatically eligible to work in the United States. Visit the HLS Financial Office with your passport and immigration documents as soon as you are offered employment and accept a position, however note that you may not begin work until your eligibility is verified. You may be required to update your work authorization documents if your visa status changes or if you are studying in the US for more than one year. International Students are prohibited from working past their employment authorization date and must resubmit updated work authorization documents prior to beginning/continuing their work in the US.
If you have any questions about your employment eligibility, visit the Harvard International Office Employment Website.
ID AND TAX FORMS
- U.S. Citizens must provide a passport or a combination of other documents – see I-9 form. They will also need to file tax forms, the federal W4 and Massachusetts M4.
- Foreign Nationals must provide a passport, valid visa and their I-94. They will get email from the Glacier system, a third-party company who gathers tax information for the university.
- Direct Deposit forms are available, but students (and other employees) can change their preferred delivery method, tax withholdings and other personal information in PeopleSoft once they are set up.
Along with ID and tax forms, students will need to submit a Set-up Sheet; there are separate forms for RA’s and TA’s. This form is filled out by the faculty member or their assistant and signed by the faculty member, then submitted to Finance.
- Download the RA Set-up Sheet and submit to Lori Adgate.
- Download the the TA Set-up Sheet and submit to Steven Ramos.
Student Timekeeping now in PeopleSoft: As of September 1, 2019, all student RAs and TAs should submit their time through PeopleSoft, not paper forms.
Things to know about submitting your time in PeopleSoft
- Report hours electronically in PeopleSoft on a weekly basis by 5 PM on Thursday for the week ending that Saturday. If you receive an email noting an earlier deadline, then take note of cutoff times.
- All hours should be reported in .25 hour increments. For example, if you work two hours and fifteen minutes, the time should be reported as 2.25.
- If you are entering hours for more than one position make sure you know your Employee Record Number (ERN) for each job. This is not your Harvard ID but a one-digit number most often 0-4. The HLS Finance Office can supply you with your ERN.
Help! I forgot to report my hours and PeopleSoft doesn’t let me report for previous weeks
- RA’s: If you forget to enter your time, contact Katie Fortunato in the Faculty Support Services department, Langdell 130.
- TA’s: If you forget to enter your time, contact Steven Ramos in the Finance Office.
The Timesheet can be accessed through the My Time and Absences tile on the Self Service page. To get to the Timesheet, go to Self-Service > My Time and Absences > Report Time and Absences > Timesheet.
Reporting Scheduled Hours Weekly
During the academic year, registered students are only permitted to work 20 total hours per week, even if a student is working for more than one faculty member.
- Enter hours under each day of the current week that you worked.
- Select REG-Regular from the Times Reporting Code drop down box.
- Click the Submit (green) button.
- On the confirmation screen, click OK.
- Verify that all hours entered are correct.