Dr. Alain-Laurent Verbeke is a Visiting Professor of Law at Harvard Law School since 2007.
He is Full Professor of Private Law, Negotiation & Mediation at KU Leuven in Belgium (since 1991), holding the Chairs in Family Property Law (Trusts & Estates) and Negotiation & Mediation. He also has tenure as Professor of Private Law & Comparative Law at Tilburg University in the Netherlands (since 1999) and Professor of Law & Negotiation at UCP Lisbon Global School of Law in Portugal (since 2008). He is a Senior Partner at Deloitte Legal in Belgium.
At KU Leuven Faculty of Law, he is Director of the Rector Dillemans Family Property Law Institute; co-director of the Institute for Contract Law and the Center for Notary Law. At KU Leuven Faculty of Psychology, he is co-chair of LCM, the Leuven Center for Collaborative Management and of the KU Leuven Centre for Business Families. In both faculties, he is (co)supervising numerous Ph.D. and post-doctoral research. In Harvard, he is affiliated with PON, the Program on Negotiation at Harvard Law School.
In Leuven, his current teaching includes family property law, estate planning, comparative law, negotiation and mediation. He is teaching negotiation in Harvard, Lisbon and Tilburg. He was awarded the Belgian Francqui Chair (2010-2011, VUB), the KBC Chair in Family Wealth (2014-2015, Antwerp Management School) and the Gommaar van Oosterwyck Chair in Notary Law (2003, VUB).
As a Deloitte Legal attorney, at the Bars of Brussels and West Belgium, he heads the Greenille Private Client Team (since 2001), (Chambers tier 1 Belgium), supervising three service lines: advisory (estate and tax planning and international wealth structuring), conflict handling (including estate litigation, negotiation, mediation, arbitration) and family and business dynamics (facilitating processes of family dynamics, family governance and next gen trajectories, in family businesses).
- Postdoctoral Fellow Negotiation Harvard Law School, 2005
- J.D. Notary Law, Summa cum laude University of Ghent, 1995
- Ph.D. Law KU Leuven, 1991
- LL.M. Law, Summa cum laude University of Michigan Law School, Ann Arbor, 1988
- J.D. Law, Summa cum laude KU Leuven, 1987
- B.Phil. Philosophy, Magna cum laude KU Leuven, 1984
- All Courts in Belgium (exc. Cour de Cassation), Belgium (2001)
- Alain Laurent Verbeke & Robert H. Mnookin, Pas De Vraie Dialogue? Bye Bye Belgium!, L'Echo, Dec. 15, 2006, at 19.