Please visit our OCI Program Comparison webpage to determine which Harvard Law School (HLS) recruitment program best suits your organization’s recruiting needs. EIP Registration opens in early February.
Participating Employers and Students
Through the Early Interview Program (EIP), law firms, businesses and other private sector employers are welcome to interview rising 2L students for summer 2020 positions and/or 3L students for post-graduate positions beginning in fall 2020.
Interview Location and Dates
EIP interviews will take place from August 5 to August 9, 2019 between 9 am and 5:20 pm at The Charles Hotel in Cambridge, MA.
- Information regarding interview dates and the booking of hotel rooms will be sent in mid-March.
- Interview dates are determined in advance of registration.
- Date assignments move up one day each year when possible. For example, an employer interviewing on Tuesday in 2018 would interview on Monday in 2019. An employer interviewing on Monday in 2018 would interview on Friday in 2019.
- See dates and deadlines below for more information about the important dates leading up to EIP.
Interview Assignments and Schedules
Student interviews are assigned via lottery which takes into account student ranking preferences. Students have a period to drop assigned interviews and sign up for open slots.
- After this process is complete, employers will receive their interview schedule with student resumes (July 30).
- A final schedule will be provided at check-in on the morning of the interview date.
- During the week of EIP, there is a daily add process each morning from 8:30 – 11:30am where students can sign up to interview in the open slots on the interview schedules. When added, students will write their name on the schedule posted on the interview room door and leave a copy of their resume.
Interview Length Options
Employers have the option of choosing 20- or 30-minutes interviews.
- One schedule of 20-minute interviews allows for 20 interview slots.
- One schedule of 30-minute interviews allows for 13 interview slots.
$700 per interview schedule.
- Firms with 40 or fewer attorneys are eligible for a reduced rate of $350 for the first interview schedule.
- Please visit our OCI Program Comparison for more information about EIP fees.
If your organization is unable to visit Cambridge for on-campus interviews, we encourage you to participate in our Resume Collection Program.
HLS Grading System
Student Callbacks Timing
As you plan for the upcoming recruiting season, we ask all EIP employers to conduct callback interviews between August 12 – 30. Please note that classes will begin on September 3 for 2Ls and 3Ls. Consistent with Harvard Law School’s Recruiting Policies & Guidelines, employers may not conduct callback interviews during the week of EIP (August 5 – 9).
We ask that employers inviting candidates to visit their offices explain the organization’s travel expense reimbursement policy prior to the visit. Travel expenses include airfare, rental cars, taxis, and food allowance. It is our experience that clarifying these issues prior to the callback period avoids misunderstandings that may arise when reimbursement policies are not explicit.
|February 12||Registration opens
Register in Symplicity and read more about registration requirements.
|March 5||Priority registration deadline
Employers that complete registration by March 5 will be notified of their interview date and can begin reserving interview and sleeping rooms at The Charles Hotel on March 18.Employers that complete registration after March 5 will be notified of their organization’s interview date(s) on a rolling basis up to the final registration deadline on June 28.
|March 18||Interview dates & hotel reservations
March 18 is the first date to submit room reservations to the Charles Hotel.
|June 24-June 28||Confirmation Period
This week is the last opportunity to make adjustments to interview schedules before students begin bidding.
|June 28||Final registration deadline|
|July 12-22||Student bidding / application period|
|July 22-25 (at 10am EST)||Bid Review Period
Learn how many students applied to interview with your organization. This is the last opportunity to adjust interview schedules with OCS & reservations with The Charles Hotel.
|July 30||Interview schedules & student resumes released
Interview schedules and student resumes will be available in Symplicity.
|August 5-9||EIP Interviews
Interviews take place at the Charles Hotel between 9 am and 5:20 pm.
|August 5||Resume collection results released
Resumes & transcripts from students who bid on resume collections will be available in Symplicity.
|August 12- 30||Callback Interview Period
Callback interviews should not be scheduled to take place during the week of EIP (August 5 to 9).
|September 2||Labor Day|
|September 3||Fall 2019 classes begin for 2Ls & 3Ls|
Employers participating in EIP are expected to comply with Harvard Law School’s Recruiting Policies & Guidelines.
Employers are not permitted to pre-screen candidates. A randomized lottery procedure utilizing students’ employer preferences is used to assign interviews. This process is designed to maximize interviewing opportunities for both students and employers. Other than resumes, employers should not ask for additional documents such as a transcript in advance of their interviews. If requested, students will bring transcripts, writing samples and / or references to the interview. Employers also should not request students to submit a cover letter with their resume or to bring one to their interview.
For assistance please contact us at email@example.com.