Your browser does not support JavaScript

How can I work with HLS students?

Your organization may work with HLS students during the school year either by offering a pro bono placement – where students perform legal work without receiving academic credit – or by offering a clinical placement – where students perform legal work for academic credit.


  • All students doing clinical and pro bono work must be supervised by a licensed attorney.
  • Students cannot receive monetary compensation for their pro bono or clinical work during the academic year.
  • The students’ work must be law-related and involve the application or interpretation of law, formulation of legal policy, drafting of legislation or regulations. Students should not do clerical or fundraising work. Eligible tasks include: assisting an attorney at a trial, client and witness interviewing and investigation, drafting documents, assisting pro se litigants in court, community legal education, research and writing, or policy analysis.

Providing a Pro Bono Placement

  • Pro bono projects are best for timely matters that need immediate and short-term assistance, one-time events, or research and writing that can be done off-site.
  • Supervisors are required to confirm pro bono hours and submit a short evaluation of the student work.
  • HLS requires J.D. students to perform at least 50 hours of unpaid legal work for nonprofit, governmental agency or law firm (working solely on pro bono matters).

Providing a Clinical Placement

  • Clinical placements may be a good option if your organization will host a student on-site for 8-20 hours/week over a semester.
  • Students are allowed to earn academic credit for legal work performed with nonprofits and governmental agencies.
  • During fall and spring terms, students have the option to choose their weekly/ hourly commitment, depending on their class and other extra-curricular commitments. They may choose between 8, 12, 16, or 20 hours per week. During winter term, which is held in January for approximately three weeks, students are required to work full-time.
  • Students may also be enrolled in a related subject matter course.
  • Supervisors are required to give regular feedback and to complete written evaluations of student performance.
  • Only 2L, 3L, or LL.M. students can enroll in a clinical placement.

Where do I start?

Approved organizations will have the ability to advertise jobs, internships, and term-time opportunities through Harvard Law School’s Helios website, a system accessible to HLS students and alumni.

1. Tell Us About Your Organization

Our office will work with you to find the most suitable arrangement that meets your needs and complies with law school and ABA guidelines for students.
Contact us with details about your organization and what work you would like assistance with.

2. Post a Position

One you are in the Helios database you can post a position by following these steps:
  1. Visit the Helios website
  2. Enter your email address
  3. Receive a one-time link to your e-mail to access the Helios system – Only approved contacts at your organization will have access to Helios, and only approved organizations can access Helios. If you enter your email address and do not receive an email with a one-time link, please talk to a hiring contact at your organization who may have access privileges.
  4. Edit your organization’s profile information and contacts.
  5. Create a new position to advertise or copy and edit a previous posting.

If you want to advertise term-time internships or volunteer opportunities and/or require further assistance, please contact us.

The Bernard Koteen Office of Public Interest Advising (OPIA) can assist with summer and post graduate opportunities.