1930-39 | 1940-49 | 1950-59 | 1960-69 | 1970-79 | 1980-1989
Thomas J. Potts ’33 of Columbus, Ohio, died July 5, 2006. Formerly of Fort Lauderdale, Fla., and Greenville, S.C., he served on a number of boards, including that of King College in Bristol, Tenn., and as president of the board of Westminister Academy. He was a veteran of WWII.
R. Dean Pine Jr. ’34 of Kintnersville, Pa., died March 30, 2006. Counsel for the American Can Co., he also served as director of Bucks County Opportunity Council.
Julian S. Carr ’34-’37 of Atlanta died May 1, 2006. He practiced law in Atlanta for 50 years with Watkins and Daniel. In 1963, his book “From the Cripple to Khrushchev” put Soviet communism in historical perspective and predicted its demise. During WWII, he taught mathematics at Virginia Military Institute and later became the first non-Virginian to serve on its governing board.
William F. Henderson ’37 of Northborough, Mass., died July 14, 2006. Formerly of Pittsfield, he practiced law at Henderson, Brennan and Reder in that city. He retired in 1978. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Army.
Sumner H. Rogers ’37 of Wilsonville, Ore., died April 6, 2006. Formerly of Newton, Mass., he was associated for 65 years with what became Sugarman, Rogers, Barshak & Cohen in Boston, a firm he co-founded with his brother-in-law in 1937. He was a charter member of Boston Investment Associates, where he served as president for 47 years. He was also a director of World Jai Alai, a gaming corporation with headquarters in Miami Beach.
Arthur M. Wood ’37 of Lake Forest, Ill., died June 18, 2006. He was an executive with Sears, Roebuck and Co., joining the company’s legal division in 1946 and becoming president in 1968. In 1973, he was elected chairman and CEO, signing the last beam used to build Chicago’s Sears Tower. He remained a company director until 1983. During WWII, he served as a lieutenant colonel in the U.S. Army.
William B. Randall ’38-’39 of St. Paul, Minn., died April 13, 2006. He was of counsel at Doherty Rumble & Butler in St. Paul. Elected Ramsey County, Minn., attorney in 1959, he served for 20 years before returning to private practice. He was involved in many community organizations and was president of the Grotto Foundation. During WWII, he served as a major in the U.S. Army.
James A. Moore ’39 of Tannersville, Pa., died July 20, 2006. Formerly of Front Royal, Va., he was a partner at Pepper, Hamilton & Scheetz in Philadelphia and was the CEO of Camelback Ski Corp. in the Pocono Mountains from 1962 until 1985.
Shepherd Brooks ’40 of Cambridge, Mass., died July 17, 2006. A philanthropist, he practiced law in Chicago, served as dean of university development at Brandeis University and was appointed by President Kennedy to help establish the Indian Institute of Technology in India. In 1950, he was named European director of the Salzburg Seminar, a nongovernmental organization in Austria focused on global change. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Army in the South Pacific, attaining the rank of major.
Leonard Cornell ’40 of Redwood City, Calif., died June 2, 2006. For 30 years, he owned Cornell Realty in Palo Alto, and he was president of the Mid-Peninsula for Fair Housing Association. Early in his career, he was a special agent for the FBI. In 1929, when he was a Boy Scout, he befriended a Japanese scout he met at an international jamboree. Their lifelong friendship inspired his commitment to pacifism and his declaration of conscientious objection during WWII. As alternative service, he worked in a state mental hospital in Philadelphia and later co-founded what is now known as the National Association for Mental Health. He also served as vice president of the California Theater Foundation.
John W. Whittlesey ’40 of Chappaqua, N.Y., died April 1, 2006. He was a solo practitioner in Chappaqua, specializing in employment law.
Kent P. Cooper ’40-’41 of Boca Raton, Fla., died Jan. 20, 2006.
Alexander R. Early III ’41 of Glendale, Calif., died Dec. 15, 2004. He was a Superior Court judge in California. After he retired in 1987, he worked in the court’s retired judge program and advised the governor’s Office of Legal Affairs.
H. Shippen Goodhue ’41 of Lexington, Mass., died Jan. 6, 2006. He was a partner at Goodhue and Colt in Boston and specialized in probate and estate planning. He was a trustee of the Rivers Country Day School, a treasurer of the Brightwood School and a director of the Boston Council for International Visitors and the Dodgeville Co. After retiring, he earned a master’s degree in education at Boston University, with a specialty in English as a second language. He taught at Cambridge Center for Adult Education and at Hebrew College.
Harry W. Henry Jr. ’41 of Ladue, Mo., died July 18, 2006. He was president of Graham Paper Co. and later worked in real estate. He joined Graham in 1950 and served as secretary-treasurer and vice president before being named president. In 1978, he left to work with the commercial real estate companies Forsythe Group and Greystone Partners. For 27 years, he served on the Ladue Zoning and Planning Commission, including several terms as vice chairman. Early in his career, he practiced law with a San Francisco firm. During WWII, he served as a first lieutenant in the U.S. Army Finance Corps.
Wilbur Charles Woodhams ’41 of Gig Harbor, Wash., died April 27, 2006. An Episcopal priest, he was rector of St. Paul’s Within-the-Walls in Rome for 20 years. He was involved in the ecumenical movement of the 1960s and helped bridge differences between Anglicans and Catholics during the Second Vatican Council. Prior to his ministry in Rome, he was pastor at Christ Church in Tacoma, Wash., from 1950 to 1961. He was also chaplain at Annie Wright School and helped found the Charles Wright Academy, a pre-K through grade 12 independent school, both in Tacoma. He attended what is now the Episcopal Divinity School in Cambridge, Mass., and was associate rector at St. Luke’s Episcopal Church in San Francisco before moving to Tacoma. During WWII, he was a U.S. Navy supply officer in the North Pacific.
H. Truxtun Emerson Jr. ’42 of Naples, Fla., died May 13, 2005. Formerly of Cincinnati, he spent his career with Dinsmore & Shohl in that city, joining the firm in 1946 and being named a partner in 1954. He was councilman for the Village of Indian Hill, Ohio, from 1965 to 1971, serving as vice mayor and later mayor. He was also an attorney for the Metropolitan Housing Authority and a member of the Society of Colonial Wars, Ohio chapter. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Navy Reserve aboard the USS Perry and USS Ellyson.
Laurence S. Locke ’42 of Boston died April 5, 2006. For more than 50 years, he was a workers’ compensation lawyer. He began his career with Horowitz, Petkun, Rothschild and Locke in Boston in 1946. By 1970, he was associated with Petkun and Locke, and he retired in 1990. During WWII, he was a second lieutenant in the U.S. Army Air Forces.
Herbert M. Lord ’42 of Greenwich, Conn., died May 9, 2006. An admiralty lawyer, he was a longtime partner at Burlingham, Underwood and Lord in New York City before joining Curtis, Mallet-Prevost, Colt & Mosle in 1992. He established Curtis, Mallet-Prevost’s admiralty department. A president of the Maritime Law Association of the United States, he advised various countries on the formation of their maritime law codes. He was also an advisory board member of the Tulane Admiralty Law Institute and a member of Comite Maritime International.
Bernard B. Marks ’42 of Sioux City, Iowa, died Aug. 15, 2005. He was a partner at Marks & Madsen in Sioux City from 1985 to his retirement in 2000. From 1946 to 1985, he was an attorney at Shull, Marshall and Marks, also in Sioux City. He held executive board positions with Flavorland Industries and KTIV TV and was active with directorships of local financial institutions and other organizations.
Houghton Furr ’43 of Lincoln, Neb., died March 15, 2006. For 36 years he worked for the Lincoln Telephone & Telegraph Co., joining the company in 1955 as secretary-treasurer and retiring as vice president and treasurer. Early in his career, he was a law professor in Lincoln and taught constitutional law. He also taught vocal music for seven years, was a concert pianist and won Best Artist at a Lincoln Symphony contest in 1946. He later performed a concert at Carnegie Hall in New York City. From 1965 to 1966, he served on the board of the Lincoln Symphony, and for 40 years, he was the organist for St. Paul United Methodist Church in Lincoln. He joined the U.S. Army Air Forces in 1943.
Arthur I. Neyhus ’44-’45 of Chicago died June 29, 2006.
Edgar D. Romig ’46-’47 of Washington, D.C., died June 13, 2006. An Episcopal priest, he was rector of the Church of Epiphany in downtown Washington for nearly three decades. In 1947 he contracted polio and was paralyzed for six months. He later enrolled in what is now the Episcopal Divinity School in Cambridge, Mass., joining his father and brother in the ministry. In Massachusetts, he was assistant minister at Trinity Church in Boston and rector of Grace Church in North Attleboro and St. Stephen’s Church in Lynn. In 1964, he joined the Church of the Epiphany, overseeing a major renovation and the dedication of 14 buildings and properties near the church. During WWII, he served as a volunteer ambulance driver with the British 8th Army in North Africa. He later served as an infantryman in the U.S. Army’s 12th Armored Division and received the Bronze Star and Purple Heart.
Norman D. Blotner ’47 of New Rochelle, N.Y., died June 23, 2006. He was senior vice president for real estate, secretary and director of Lane Bryant in New York City. He was also director of the Better Business Bureau of Metropolitan New York. Early in his career, he practiced law. A lacrosse player, he coached the Harvard team. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Navy, attaining the rank of lieutenant commander.
H. Raymond Cluster ’47 of Baltimore died Jan. 21, 2005.
Charles O. Porter ’47 of Eugene, Ore., died Jan. 1, 2006. An Oregon Democrat, he served two terms, from 1957 to 1961, in the U.S. House of Representatives. He endorsed several ideas that were unpopular at the time, including admitting China to the United Nations and trading with China in nonstrategic materials. He returned to the law practice he had begun in Oregon and unsuccessfully sought re-election several times. For more than three decades, he waged a legal fight to remove a hilltop Christian cross from Skinner Butte in Eugene. The first lawsuit was filed in 1965, and in 1997, the 9th Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals ruled the cross unconstitutional. In 2001, he wrote a resolution seeking to impeach the five Supreme Court justices who voted to stop the presidential ballot recount in Florida. He was in the U.S. Army Air Forces during WWII.
Stanley van den Heuvel ’47 of Darien, Conn., died May 13, 2006. He served as senior vice president and corporate secretary of Manufacturers Hanover Bank. He joined the Hanover Bank in 1955, after practicing law for several years, and retired in 1982. He was a director of the LTC Trust Co. of New York and a longtime board member of Goodwill Industries of Greater New York and Northern New Jersey, which honored him as director emeritus in 2004. During WWII, he served as an officer in the field artillery of the 37th Division in the South Pacific.
John R. Baylor ’48 of Lincoln, Neb., died May 6, 2006. He was a senior partner at Baylor Evnen and a judge on the Court of Industrial Relations. During WWII, he served in the British Army with the American Field Service, and his unit liberated the Bergen-Belsen concentration camp in 1945.
Arthur R. Ivey ’48 of Greenwich, Conn., and Vero Beach, Fla., died July 8, 2006. He was a founding partner of Ivey, Barnum & O’Mara of Greenwich.
Jack G. Perry ’48 of Las Vegas died March 3, 2005. He was a solo practitioner specializing in commercial litigation, family law, corporate law and probate in Las Vegas. He was also a director of Geothermal Energy Corp. He previously was a partner at Rogers Monsey Woodbury Phillips Perry & Berggreen.
Ramsay D. Potts ’48 of Washington, D.C., died May 28, 2006. A corporate lawyer, he co-founded what became known as Shaw, Pittman, Potts & Trowbridge in Washington, D.C. He retired in 1986 as managing partner and became senior counsel to the firm. During WWII, he was a combat pilot and flew in missions over France and North Africa, participating in a vital raid on oil refineries at Ploesti, Romania, one of the Germans’ top sources of petroleum. He was made a colonel at age 27 and served as group leader of the 453rd Bomb Group, where actor James Stewart was his operations officer. His military decorations included the Army Distinguished Service Cross, the Bronze Star, two Silver Stars, the Legion of Merit and three Distinguished Flying Crosses. He was later a military adviser to the U.S. Strategic Bombing Survey. After graduating from HLS, he was a special assistant to W. Stuart Symington, U.S. Air Force secretary, and was president of the Military Air Transport Association. He retired from the Reserve as a major general in 1972.
John W. Simpson ’48 of Rancho Bernardo, Calif., died July 20, 2006. A specialist in aviation law, he was a partner at Koteen and Burt and, later, Kelley Drye & Warren in Washington, D.C. Earlier in his career, he worked for the Civil Aeronautics Board and served as an officer of Western Airlines. During WWII, he was a fighter pilot and flew missions over Germany.
Arthur S. Friedman ’49 of Chappaqua, N.Y., died March 28, 2006. For more than 50 years, he was a civil trial lawyer in New York City. He was a partner at Gallup, Climenko and Gould before forming Friedman, Wang and Bleiberg. In 2004, his firm merged with Foley & Lardner, and he retired in 2005.
Joseph J. Geehern ’49 of Agawam, Mass., died May 27, 2006. A longtime resident of Westfield, Mass., he worked for Stanley Home Products in Westfield for two decades, serving as general counsel and director of the company before his retirement. Early in his career, he was an associate at McClennen & Fish in Boston. He served on a number of charitable boards, including as a trustee of Noble Hospital and a director of the Frank Stanley Beveridge Foundation. During WWII, he served as a lieutenant in the U.S. Army.
Frank P. Mack ’49 of Sacramento, Calif., died Feb. 23, 2006. He was an attorney and an administrative law judge with the California Unemployment Insurance Appeals Board for 17 years.
W. Tyler Peabody Jr. ’49 of Wallingford, Pa., died Jan. 27, 2006. Formerly of Moylan, Pa., he worked for Scott Paper Co. for 29 years, retiring as corporate secretary in 1983. Early in his career, he practiced law at Root, Ballantine, Harlan, Busby and Palmer in New York City. A director of the Helen Kate Furness Library, the Nether Providence Community Associates and the Ethel Mason Day Care Center, he was also chairman of the Chester-Wallingford chapter of the American Red Cross. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Navy in the Pacific theater and at the U.S. Naval Ordnance Test Station in California.
Marvin J. Wise ’49 of Dallas died July 3, 2006. A Dallas attorney, he was of counsel to Baskin & Novakov after practicing law with another partner for 31 years. He was honored by the Texas State Bar Association for 50 years of practice. Chairman of the Dallas Bar Association section on wills, trusts and probate, he was elected a fellow of the American College of Probate Counsel. He was a director of the Dallas Home for the Jewish Aged and wrote its endowment fund trust. He also worked as a liaison between the probate courts and Terrell State Hospital. He served in the U.S. Army and taught English at what is now Lackland Air Force Base to officers and enlisted men of the Chinese Nationalist Air Force.
Robert M. Fisher ’50 of South Conway, N.H., died June 30, 2006. A literary scholar and teacher, he was also a ski racer and co-founder of New Hampshire Girls High School Ski Racing. He earned a master’s degree in English from Middlebury College in 1954 and a doctorate in English literature at the University of Colorado. He taught at Wesleyan, Dartmouth and Proctor Academy before becoming a teacher at Kennett High School in Conway, N.H., where he taught and coached for 20 years. He was the father of Abigail Fisher, a former U.S. Olympic skier. He served in the U.S. Air Force as a navigator.
James Murray Howe ’50 of Dennis and Cambridge, Mass., died June 30, 2006. A partner for 22 years at Sullivan & Worcester in Boston, he retired in 1993. He headed numerous fundraising drives for HLS, and also for Harvard College, including helping to raise $19.5 million for the class of 1945’s 50th reunion. He was a trustee of the Dennis Conservation Trust and the Trustees of Reservations, among other conservation groups. He was a supporter of the Mashantum Tennis Club, where a tennis court and maintenance building are named in his honor. He was a U.S. Army captain in northern Italy during WWII, and at his retirement from the Reserve in 1965, he was promoted to colonel.
John B. Pierce Jr. ’50 of Georgetown, Maine, died Feb. 18, 2006. A corporate lawyer, he was a longtime partner at Gaston, Snow, Rice & Boyd in Boston. He joined the firm in 1951, was named partner in 1957 and served as counsel from 1977 until 1990. For more than 40 years, he was managing trustee of the Lachaise Foundation, which supports and promotes the work of the American sculptor Gaston Lachaise. He was also a director of Shawmut Corp., a trustee of the Portland Museum of Art in Portland, Maine, and, for more than 30 years, a trustee of Thompson Island Education Center. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Army.
Monroe L. Inker ’51 LL.M. ’54 of Newton, Mass., died April 15, 2006. He was a family law attorney and a prominent Massachusetts divorce lawyer. He co-wrote “Massachusetts Practice: Family Law and Practice,” and his work resulted in the passage of no-fault divorce and the equitable division of marital assets statute in 1975. From the late 1950s through the 1970s, he was a criminal defense lawyer and represented many accused murderers and organized crime figures. In 2005, he joined Rubin and Rudman in Boston, after 35 years of managing his own practice, White Inker Aronson in Boston. An editor of the ABA’s Family Law Quarterly, he was also an adjunct professor at Boston College Law School for more than 30 years, and most recently, he taught a course on child custody at Suffolk Law School.
John A. Price ’51 of Grand Junction, Colo., died July 15, 2006. He practiced law in Walden for many years, served as county judge and retired as a Colorado District Court judge in 1986. During WWII, he served in the U.S. military and was involved in the Battle of the Bulge and the occupation of Berlin.
Donald Sipes ’51 of Beverly Hills, Calif., died April 5, 2006. A television executive, writer and producer, he was senior vice president at CBS television network, president of Universal Television, president and chief operating officer of the MGM film company and chairman of United Artists. He wrote or co-wrote several novels and was a writer-producer for several television series.
Irwin S. Markowitz ’52 of Fort Lee, N.J., died July 31, 2006. Formerly of Teaneck, N.J., he had a law practice in Bergen County for 50 years. He was of counsel to Fischer Porter & Thomas, where he focused his practice on corporate and commercial transactions. He had previously served as general counsel to financial and insurance companies. A chairman of the alternative dispute resolution committee of the Bergen County Bar Association, he also served as a mediator for the New Jersey Superior Court, the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of New Jersey and Nasdaq. He was a U.S. Army veteran.
Herman I. Merinoff ’52 of Great Neck, N.Y., died June 28, 2006. He was co-chairman of the Charmer-Sunbelt Group of Manhattan, one of the region’s three major liquor distributorships. He joined his family’s liquor distribution business in 1959 and transformed it into a company with more than $3 billion in annual revenue and operations in 16 states and the District of Columbia. Early in his career, he practiced law at a Manhattan firm and later was an assistant federal prosecutor in Manhattan. He served on the state commission overseeing the 1964-65 World’s Fair in Queens and, with his wife, endowed a research center at the North Shore University Hospital in Manhasset, N.Y.
Robert R. Reid Jr. ’52 of Birmingham, Ala., died Jan. 13, 2006. He was a partner at Bradley Arant Rose & White, specializing in complex tax and corporate matters. A birder and conservationist, he was involved with the Audubon Society and the Alabama Ornithological Society for many years and is credited with envisioning the Alabama Coastal Birding Trail. He was a supporter of Partners in Flight, and among the honors he received were the Audubon Conservationist of the Year, the Alabama Conservancy’s Conservationist of the Year and the Gold Leaf Award for Land Acquisitions, for helping to acquire hundreds of thousands of acres in the Alabama Tensaw Delta.
B. Richard Spinner ’53 of Palm Beach, Fla., died April 23, 2006. He was a broker with Smith Barney in West Palm Beach and, later, Palm Beach.
Douglas W. McCallum ’54 of Burlington, Conn., died July 11, 2006. He was a lawyer in Burlington. Prior to forming his own practice, he was an attorney with Gillespie and McCallum in Unionville, Conn. He was active in town politics and the Burlington Library Association and Burlington Cemetery Association. He served in the U.S. Army during the Korean War.
John T. Skolfield Jr. ’54 of Winter Park, Fla., died March 29, 2006. He was a solo practitioner in Winter Park, where he focused his practice on estate planning and probate law.
Nathan Hale ’55 of New York City died July 19, 2006. For 40 years, he was a trusts and estates attorney in New York City, practicing with Shearman & Sterling; Kelley, Drye & Warren; Casey, Lane & Mittendorf; and Haythe & Curley.
John S. Sammond ’55 of West Palm Beach, Fla., died Jan. 31, 2006. A longtime partner at Quarles & Brady, he was responsible for opening the firm’s first branch office. He was a director of many companies, including Tropical Plant Rentals, Medalist Industries and Kelley Co., and civic organizations, including Lakeside Children’s Center and the Wisconsin Conservatory of Music. From 1945 to 1947, he served in the Civil Air Patrol. He later served in the U.S. Marine Corps Reserve, resigning as a major in 1963.
William J. McCarthy ’56 of Baltimore died June 16, 2006. A managing partner of Venable in Baltimore, he also held prominent roles in banking in that city. He joined what was then known as Venable Baetjer and Howard in 1958, briefly left the firm in 1960 to serve as an assistant Maryland attorney general and retired in 2002. A chairman of Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center, he was also a trustee emeritus at Gilman School, where he had served as president of the board from 1975 to 1980. He was also on the board of the Maryland Historical Society and was instrumental in helping to revitalize the ancestral home of Maryland’s founding Calvert family in Yorkshire, England, for use by University of Maryland students. In 1993, he became a member of the Adirondack 46ers, open only to hikers who have scaled all of the Adirondack Mountains’ 46 tallest peaks.
Sidney E. Ives ’56-’57 of Gainesville, Fla., died Aug. 8, 2005. He was a rare-books librarian at the University of Florida. Formerly of Cambridge, Mass., he had previously worked as an acquisitions bibliographer at Harvard’s Houghton Library. He served in the U.S. Army.
Arthur P. Scibelli ’57 of Vienna, Va., died March 29, 2006. He practiced business and tax law in the Washington, D.C., area and was a partner at McGuireWoods in McLean, Va. He worked for the U.S. Housing and Home Finance Agency and for two private attorneys before joining one of McGuireWoods’ predecessor firms, Bauknight, Prichard, McCandlish & Williams in Fairfax, in 1968. During the Korean War, he served in the U.S. Army, and he retired from the Reserve as a lieutenant colonel in 1991.
Martin C. Seham ’57 of Tenafly, N.J., died April 1, 2006. A labor attorney, he represented many foreign airlines and several independent labor organizations. His firm, Seham, Seham, Meltz and Petersen in New York City, represented unions of pilots and flight attendants. He was general counsel for the American Maritime Association, a multi-employer bargaining association. He was also chairman of the New York City Public Utility Board and a board member of the Bergen County Urban League, and he managed Hubert Humphrey’s presidential campaign in northern New Jersey in 1968.
Warren G. Wintrub ’57 of Boca Raton, Fla., died June 13, 2006. Formerly of Stamford, Conn., he was an executive partner at Coopers and Lybrand, now PricewaterhouseCoopers, where he worked for 35 years. A specialist in tax matters, he was elected partner in 1963, served on the executive committee from 1976 to 1988 and was chairman of its retirement committee from 1979 to 1992. He served on eight corporate boards and was treasurer of Stamford’s Temple Sinai and a trustee of Low Heywood School.
Robert E. Guilford ’58 of Santa Monica, Calif., died July 16, 2006. He was a partner at Baum, Hedlund, a Los Angeles-based national plaintiffs law firm, where he represented victims of aviation accidents. He began flying airplanes in 1961, owned a series of aircraft, co-founded the WarBirds of America and frequently attended air shows with his Hawker Hunter, a vintage British fighter jet. He was profiled in aviation magazines, was featured in articles and books about air sporting events, and was the subject of a piece on CNN.
John Markle Jr. ’58 of Exton, Pa., died Dec. 14, 2004. A lawyer and labor negotiator, he was associated with Drinker, Biddle & Reath for 45 years. He was named a partner in 1964 and opened the firm’s Berwyn, Pa., office in 1992. As a labor specialist, he represented Major League Baseball umpires in negotiations with team owners, and until the 1980s, he was chief labor negotiator for Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority. He was a contributor to the treatise “Developing Labor Law” and chairman of Pennsylvania’s Labor Relations Board from 1996 to 2004. He also served in executive positions for a number of charitable and other organizations. During the Korean War, he served in the U.S. Marine Corps, and he retired from the Reserve as a lieutenant colonel in 1973.
Loyd M. Starrett ’58 of Rockport, Mass., died May 4, 2006. He was a private practitioner in Beverly, Mass., and a longtime town moderator in Rockport. He opened his Beverly practice in 2001 after 17 years with the Boston firm Mahoney, Hawkes & Goldings, which he had founded as Fordham & Starrett. From 1964 to 1985, he was an attorney with Foley, Hoag and Eliot. In addition to being town moderator in Rockport for more than 30 years, he was chairman of the Zoning Board of Appeals for 26 years. A Baptist layman, he was on the national board of the Baptist Church and was a parliamentarian for the general board and at numerous biennial meetings. He served in the U.S. Air Force, attaining the rank of major.
Daniel Steiner ’58 of Cambridge, Mass., died June 11, 2006. He was Harvard University’s first general counsel, serving from 1970 to 1992. In 1982, he was given the additional title of vice president. Most recently, he was president of the New England Conservatory, the first nonmusician to lead the institution. Early in his career, he practiced law in New York City, was assistant general counsel for legislation in the U.S. State Department during the Johnson administration and later was chief of legislative programs for the U.S. Agency for International Development. He was general counsel for the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission before joining Harvard as secretary of the University Committee on Governance in 1969. He served in the U.S. Air Force Reserve. He was the brother of HLS Professor Emeritus Henry Steiner ’55.
James Farid Sams LL.M. ’59 of Bethesda, Md., died Dec. 21, 2005. He was president and CEO of American Development Services Corp., a real estate investment company with properties in Georgia and North and South Carolina, from 1976 until the time of his death. In 1964, he entered the private practice of law, and he was a resident partner in 1971 in Beirut, Lebanon, when he established the Middle East regional office of Kirkwood, Kaplan, Russin, Vecchi and Sams, where he worked before establishing ADSC. A president and chairman of the National Association of Arab Americans, he also was a director of the Inter-religious Committee for Peace in the Middle East and co-founded American Near East Refugee Aid and the American Committee for Tyre (Lebanon), to save archaeological treasures of the ancient city. After the signing of the Taif Agreement, which ended Lebanon’s 15-year civil war, Sams initiated and chaired the American task force for Lebanon’s Conference on Lebanon: National Reconciliation and Reconstruction, held in 1991. He was a second lieutenant in the U.S. Army.
T. Roberts “Toby” Appel II ’60 of Fort Myers, Fla., died July 9, 2006. Formerly of Lancaster, Pa., he was the managing partner of Appel & Yost until his retirement in January 2005. He served as an arbitrator on construction cases for the American Arbitration Association and, from 1982 to 1988, was a member of the house of delegates of the Pennsylvania Bar Association.
Thomas W. Heenan ’60 of Chicago died May 2, 2006. He was a partner at Chapman and Cutler in Chicago, where he worked for 35 years. A longtime director of Woodward Governor Co., a designer and manufacturer of energy control solutions for aircraft and industrial engines, he was also a director of Telemedia Inc. and Seigle’s Home and Building Centers. He served as a navigator in the U.S. Air Force, based in Charleston, S.C., and retired as a captain from the U.S. Air Force Reserve in 1972.
Robert E. Manley ’60 of Cincinnati died March 23, 2006. A longtime Cincinnati attorney who focused his practice on property rights, he also wrote for scholarly journals and was a regular contributor of letters and columns to local newspapers. He taught law, economics and urban planning at Xavier University and the University of Cincinnati. He also was president of the Friendly Sons of St. Patrick and founded several community groups, including the Citizens’ Patrol, the Cincinnati Mounted Patrol Association and a local chapter of the Explorers’ Club.
George L. Dyer Jr. ’61 of Port Ludlow, Wash., died May 12, 2006. He practiced law in Hawaii until 1987, when he retired to Port Ludlow. He wrote “40 Poems for T: The Fun of Writing Poetry,” published by Tige Publishing Co. in 1999. He served as a pilot in the U.S. Navy.
Walter I. Nathan ’62 of New York City died April 6, 2006. He was an attorney in New York City, concentrating in estate planning and probate law.
David I. Obel ’64 of Riverdale, N.Y., died April 26, 2004. He was a general labor attorney for NBC.
Michael L.C. Henderson ’66 of Burlington, Vt., died Jan. 28, 2006. He was the co-pastor of the Congregational Church in Exeter, N.H. He was ordained by the Metropolitan Boston Association of the United Church of Christ after his 1974 graduation from Harvard Divinity School, and from 1972 to 1978, he was assistant minister in Harvard’s Memorial Church. From 1978 until their retirement in 2003, he and his wife, Jane Geffken Henderson, served as co-chaplains at Williams College and then as co-pastors of the Plymouth Congregational Church in Plymouth, N.H., and later of the Congregational Church in Exeter.
John E. Haner ’67 of Wilton Manors, Fla., died April 10, 2006. Formerly of Chicago, he was a partner in the tax division of Arthur Andersen & Co. there.
Jay J. BloomBecker ’68 of Live Oak, Calif., died June 14, 2006. He was in private practice in Santa Cruz, specializing in workers’ compensation and disability. Earlier in his career, he focused on computer security, founded the National Center for Computer Crime Data in 1980 and discussed the topic on “Nightline,” “The Today Show” and “Oprah.” He was also an assistant district attorney in Los Angeles for 10 years. In 1994, he helped found Chadeish Yameinu, a Jewish renewal community in Santa Cruz. He died after being shot in his office, allegedly by a client.
Joshua P. Smith ’68 of Washington, D.C., died July 25, 2005. A curator and collector of prints, he was a leading authority on and a collector of avant-garde photography. Toward the end of his life, he focused on Soviet-era photography. He wrote “Photography of Invention: American Pictures of the 1980s” and was a guest curator for several galleries and museums, including the National Museum of American Art.
Madeline F. Nesse ’72 of Silver Spring, Md., died May 18, 2006. She was an attorney for the Office of the General Counsel in the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. For the past 20 years, she worked for the department’s Children, Families and Aging division, on issues involving the health and welfare of children. She practiced law in New York City, Philadelphia and Washington, D.C., before joining HHS. She was president of the Tifereth Israel Congregation in Washington, D.C.
Kenneth D. Powell ’73 of Las Vegas died April 3, 2006. He was self-employed as a music industry consultant. Earlier in his career, he was director of business affairs at A&M Records in Hollywood, Calif.
Jörg Gustav-Adolf Schmeding LL.M. ’75 of Hamburg, Germany, died June 4, 2006. A lawyer for 30 years, he practiced at White & Case in Hamburg, joining what was then known as Ohle Hansen Ewerwahn in 1976.
Takeshi Nishida LL.M. ’82 of Tokyo died June 8, 2006. He was a member of the House of Representatives and the Liberal Democratic Party in Japan. A third-term parliamentarian, he had worked as a parliamentary secretary for the Finance Ministry since November 2005. He was first elected to the lower house in 1996 as a member of the New Frontier Party. After losing his seat in 2000, he regained it in 2003 as a Liberal Democratic Party member.
William H. Lash III ’85 of McLean, Va., died July 13, 2006. He was an official in the administration of President George W. Bush and a professor at George Mason University School of Law.