Professor of Practice
Alan Jenkins is a Professor of Practice at Harvard Law School where he teaches courses on Race and the Law, Communication, and Supreme Court Jurisprudence. Before joining the Law School faculty, he was President and Co-Founder of The Opportunity Agenda, a social justice communication lab.
Jenkins’s prior positions have included Assistant to the Solicitor General at the U.S. Department of Justice, where he represented the United States government in constitutional and other litigation before the U.S. Supreme Court; Director of Human Rights at the Ford Foundation, where he managed grantmaking in the United States and eleven overseas regions; and Associate Counsel to the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund, where he defended the rights of low-income communities facing exploitation and discrimination. He previously served as a Law Clerk to U.S. Supreme Court Justice Harry A. Blackmun and to U.S. District Court Judge Robert L. Carter.
Jenkins is a frequent commentator in broadcast, print, and digital media on topics ranging from Supreme Court decisionmaking to racial equity to the role of popular culture in social change. His past Board service includes New York Public Radio, the Center for Community Change, the Legal Action Center, and Futuro Media Group, as well as the Board of Governors of the New School for Public Engagement. He has also served on the Selection Committee for the Sundance Documentary Fund.
Jenkins holds a J.D. from Harvard Law School, an M.A. in Media Studies from the New School for Public Engagement, and a B.A. in Psychology and Social Relations from Harvard College.
- A.B. Psychology and Social Relations Harvard College, 1985
- M.A. Media Studies New School for Public Engagement, 2005
- J.D. Harvard Law School, 1989
- Harry A. Blackmun, U.S. Supreme Court
- Robert L. Carter, U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- Alan Jenkins, It’s Time for a ‘Bigotry Pass’ on Scripts, Holywood Rep., June 10, 2020.
- Alan Jenkins, The Global Significance of 'Black Panther', Hollywood Rep. (Feb. 23, 2018, 10:03 AM).
- Alan Jenkins, Juhu Thukral, Kevin Hsu, Nerissa Kunakemakorn & Megan Haberle, Promoting Opportunity through Impact Statements: A Tool for Policymakers to Assess Equity, 6 Advance, Fall 2012, at 61.
- Alan Jenkins & Sabrineh Ardalan, Positive Health: The Human Right to Health Care Under the New York State Constitution, 35 Fordham Urban L.J. 479 (2008).