- Student Government shall administer the establishment and dissolution of student organizations at HLS. For the purposes of these provisions, “student organizations” do not include official student journals administered by the Office of Community Engagement, Equity, and Belonging.
- Upon a showing of sufficient organizational structure and student interest, a nascent organization is entitled to recognition as a provisional student organization at HLS. These determinations will be made in the fall semester of each year. Provisional student organizations are entitled to the services provided to all student organizations. Provisional student organizations may apply for funding at a fixed level applicable to all provisional student organizations, under the funding provisions of this Constitution.
- Upon showing of continued student interest, as well as active contributions by the organization to campus life, a provisional student organization is entitled to recognition as a full student organization at HLS one year after they were provisionally approved. Full student organizations are entitled to the services provided to all student organizations. Full student organizations may apply for budget-based funding applicable to all full student organizations, under the funding provisions of this Constitution.
- Once each year CEEB shall require all student organizations to submit a basic statement of continuing existence¹ outlining activities undertaken by and student participation in the organization. If an organization fails to demonstrate a meaningful continued existence or does not respond, it will be reduced to provisional status. If a provisional organization fails to demonstrate a meaningful continued existence or does not respond, it will be dissolved.
- Decisions pursuant to the above rules shall be made by the Director of Student Organizations. The decision of the Director of Student Organizations is subject to an automatic right of appeal by members of the organization or potential organization. Any appeal shall be heard at a meeting of SRB following at least one week’s notice to the student body of the appeal. Review of a denial of organization status is de novo and requires a vote of a majority of those representatives and officers present, where quorum has been met. Review of the dissolution of an organization is de novo and requires a two-thirds vote of those representatives and officers present, where quorum has been met.
¹A meaningful continued existence means a group that has a regular membership process through which any student at HLS can join, hosts at least one meeting or event per semester, and stipulates that they are a group that meets a need of the HLS community in good faith.