HLS Event Scheduling Update
HLS Student Organizations are allowed to pre-purchase food for their membership when the purchase is connected to an event or meeting. For student organizations whose members are abroad food purchases can be accommodated but all expenses must be made using the HUECU debit card and retaining appropriate itemized receipts/invoices.
Reimbursements and gift cards are not allowed.
Importantly, when purchasing food for your membership, to ensure that food is equitably distributed, it is your responsibility to make pre-purchased food available to all of your members, regardless of where they are located during the academic year.
Catering from Harvard University Dining Services
All events held in Harkness Commons, The Pub, Milstein Function Space, Caspersen Patio, Kumble Plaza, or on Jarvis Field must use Harvard University Dining Services (HUDS) for catering. These spaces are reserved throught the Events Office.
We are transitioning from Restaurant Associates to Harvard University Dining services for our internal catering service. We will update this page with the booking process when details are finalized.
Catering from Outside Vendors
Student organizations and journals may use an outside vendor as long as the event complies with the following conditions:
- The space is one other than those noted above, reserved through the Events Office, and the reservation indicates the use of an outside caterer.
- The food is takeout, dropped off by a delivery person, or purchased from a grocery store. No outside catering staff may be present to serve the food.
- The group ordering the food is responsible for cleaning up the room at the end of the event. Leftover food can be brought to the Student Org Workroom (WCC 2063).
- The group is not serving alcohol.
- The Restaurant Associates kitchens, food preparation areas, and utensils are not used by outside vendors.
If you are ordering outside catering for an event, be sure to order enough food to cover the size of your venue (i.e. 90 people for WCC 1010). Use your judgment, but know that it is better to have extra food than to run out.
- Remember to keep dietary needs in mind – many students require Kosher, Vegetarian, Vegan, Nut-free, Gluten-free, and Halal meals.
- If you plan to serve alcohol at your event, you must follow the HLS Drug and Alcohol Policy. For on-campus events, you will need to work with RA. For off-campus events, work with a licensed restaurant or bar and use drink tickets.
Use your organization’s HUECU debit card to order outside catering and submit the receipt via your organization’s Receipt Submission Google Form immediately after the event.
Have food delivered at least 20 minutes before the event.
- Order extra plates, napkins, and utensils.
- Make sure someone is available to set-up the room 20-30 minutes before the event so everything goes smoothly (set-up food, arrange the room, check A/V, etc.).
Extra food can go to the Student Org Room, WCC 2063. Email the free food listserv at email@example.com to let people know!
- Food leftover from events is not permitted in the Lounge or in the Pub.
- Leave the room better than how you found it. Make sure all trash is thrown away and wipe down tables if needed.