At Harvard Law School, supporting the core needs of our vibrant educational community and providing our students with crucial financial aid are priorities of the highest order. As part of our commitment to these needs, we are pleased to offer planned giving opportunities at HLS that benefit both the Law School and the donor.
What is Planned Giving?
Planned giving is a type of giving that can allow you to make a significant gift to Harvard Law School while also addressing some of your own financial and real estate planning needs by way of tax planning.
Types of planned gifts include:
- Mutual funds that may reduce your capital gains taxes.
- Life income gifts, such as charitable gift annuities and charitable remainder trusts, that pay you an income during your lifetime while generating a current income tax deduction.
- Testamentary gifts that preserve access to principal while enabling you to make a lasting gift to Harvard Law School.
- Gifts from retirement plan assets that can reduce your income tax and the taxes your heirs may eventually have to pay.
- Charitable lead trusts that pay an annual amount to Harvard Law School and then distribute to heirs at a reduced transfer tax cost.
A well planned gift will create advantageous tax and income benefits for you and your heirs, and leave a lasting legacy for the Harvard Law School community new and old.
What Does Planned Giving Support?
- The Annual Fund, which utilizes unrestricted gifts for broad and immediate impact, allowing the Dean to swiftly address the community’s highest priorities.
- Scholarship funds that enable the Law School to enroll students regardless of financial ability and to create generations of leaders in public and private practice.
- Clinical chairs and professorships that help HLS attract faculty who are leaders in their fields.
- Unrestricted funds that allow Harvard Law School to address emerging topics in the legal profession and prepare students for real-world issues.
For questions or requests for more information, please contact Charlie Gordy at (617) 496-9265 (direct) or firstname.lastname@example.org.
“Planned giving is our opportunity to give the next generation the same outstanding legal education we had.” -Thomas M. Lamberti ’57