1930-39 | 1940-49 | 1950-59 | 1960-69 | 1970-79 | 1980-1989 | 2000-2009


David R. Blossom ’32-’34 of Kiantone, N.Y., died Sept. 17, 2005. He practiced law at Alexander & Green in Manhattan from 1936 to 1963, with the exception of his years of military service. He was later a solo practitioner in Brooklyn Heights, N.Y., and served as a town justice in Kiantone. A president of the Jamestown Bar Association and editor of its newsletter, he received the association’s first outstanding service award in 1999. He was also treasurer of the Jamestown Audubon Society. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Army, and in 1946, he was deputy military government officer for the occupied city of Munich, Germany. He continued to serve in the Reserve for 12 years, retiring as a colonel in 1958.

Martin A. Meyer Jr. ’33 of Tucson, Ariz., died Oct. 1, 2005. Formerly of Southampton, N.Y., he was vice president and general counsel of the Savings Bank Association of New York State. He was a trustee of the Savings Bank of Rockland County.

Milton H. Lehrer ’34 of New York City died Jan. 21, 2006. He was an administrative law judge of the Parking Violations Bureau of New York City and president of Samuel Lehrer & Co., a men’s textile company. He was also president of Alexander D. Goode Lodge B’nai B’rith.

Arthur Thad Smith ’34 of Englewood, Colo., died Oct. 8, 2005. He was of counsel at Poulson, Odell and Peterson in Denver, where he practiced law into his 90s. Earlier in his career, he worked for the Continental Oil Co., where he was general attorney for the Rocky Mountain region. He taught oil, gas, minerals and land-use law at the University of Westminster School of Law in London and the University of Denver College of Law. For 10 years, he was a member of the Cherry Creek School Board. He was also co-founder of the Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation and KRMA Educational Channel 6. He served in the U.S. Navy during WWII.

Irving Castle ’34-’35 of Palm Beach, Fla., died Oct. 29, 2005. Formerly of Connecticut, he co-owned and -operated Lehigh Petroleum Co. in Norwich, which later included the Chucky’s Convenience Store chain. The company, which became the largest oil, gasoline and propane distributor in eastern Connecticut, was partially sold in the 1950s, with a final sale in 1982.

William H.G. FitzGerald ’34-’35 of Washington, D.C., died Jan. 5, 2006. An investor and philanthropist, he served as U.S. ambassador to Ireland from 1992 to 1993. During his career, he was a senior partner at the investment firm Hornblower, Weeks, Hemphill & Noyes, vice chairman of Financial General Bankshares and chairman of North American Housing Corp. He was a trustee of the Corcoran Gallery of Art, chairman of the White House Preservation Fund and treasurer of the Atlantic Council of the United States. A tennis player until the age of 93, he established a program to mentor inner-city children at the Washington Tennis Foundation, where the tennis center is named in his honor. He was also a benefactor of the U.S. Naval Academy, and he and his wife founded a program to send academy midshipmen to Oxford University for postgraduate study. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Navy.

Asher W. Schwartz ’35 of Rye, N.Y., died March 20, 2006. A labor attorney, he was a founding partner of the New York City firm O’Donnell, Schwartz, Glanstein & Lilly, where he remained active until his retirement in 2001.

Joseph R. Graves ’35-’37 of Rancho Mirage, Calif., died March 26, 2005.

Daniel A. Shea Jr. ’35-’36 of Weymouth, Mass., died Oct. 23, 2005.

Oliver W. Hammonds ’36 of Dallas died Feb. 14, 2006. A solo practitioner, he focused his Dallas practice on taxation and investments. Earlier in his career, he was an attorney at the U.S. Treasury Department and in the Tax Division of the U.S. Department of Justice. He was a director of the Dallas Council on World Affairs and helped raise $1 million for the establishment of the Manley O. Hudson Chair of International Law at HLS. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Army Air Forces as an intelligence officer.

Vance N. Kirby ’37 of North Chatham, Mass., died Jan. 5, 2006. An emeritus professor at Northwestern University School of Law, he specialized in federal taxation and co-wrote a four-volume tax casebook, “The Study of Federal Tax Law.” Prior to joining Northwestern, he practiced law for several years in Chicago, and he continued as a tax adviser to Chadwell, Kayser, Ruggles, McGee & Hastings during his academic career. Earlier in his career, he worked for the U.S. Treasury Department’s Office of Tax Legislative Counsel in Washington, D.C., and practiced law in Boston and Connecticut.

Julius Cohen LL.M. ’38 of Princeton, N.J., died May 28, 2005. A professor emeritus at Rutgers University, he taught at the school from 1957 to 1981. He began his teaching career in the political science department at West Virginia University. During his tenure, he served as an adviser to the West Virginia Legislature and the West Virginia Office of Civilian Defense and as an aide to the state’s governor. In 1946, he joined the faculty at the University of Nebraska, and in 1956, he moved to New Jersey. He was the Guggenheim Fellow at Rutgers-Newark from 1963 to 1964. After his retirement from Rutgers, he served as a visiting lecturer at Jilin University in Changchun, China, and as a visiting distinguished professor at California Western School of Law.

John R. Covington ’38 of Lake Forest, Ill., died Jan. 13, 2006. He was a partner, and later of counsel, at Tenney & Bentley in Chicago. He was chief counsel and secretary of the Sargent-Welch Corp. and the Oliver Corp. and served as a director of Presbyterian Home, Friends of Lake Forest Library and State Mutual Life Assurance of America.

William H. Smith ’38 of Tucson, Ariz., died April 4, 2006. He was vice president of corporate communications for Valley National Bank from 1960 to 1976. He practiced law in Los Angeles in the late 1940s and was active in many community organizations. In the 1950s, he served as director of the news bureau at the University of Arizona, where he started the University of Arizona Press. A wood craftsman, he carved a figure of St. Augustine featured in the book “Saints of the Southwest” and a figure of St. Philip for St. Philip’s In the Hills church in Tucson. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Navy. He received the Legion of Merit for combat duty in the Mediterranean and retired as a lieutenant commander in 1950.

Drexel A. Sprecher ’38 of Chevy Chase, Md., died March 18, 2006. From 1945 to 1949, he was a prosecutor, and later deputy chief counsel of the prosecution team, at the Nuremberg Trials. After the tribunals ended, he was editor in chief of the 15-volume report of the trials. He later wrote “Inside the Nuremberg Trial: A Prosecutor’s Comprehensive Account,” which was published in 1999. Last year, another book he wrote about the trials, “Looking Backward—Thinking Forward,” was published. After the war, he was associate chief counsel of the Salary Stabilization Board and an assistant administrator of the Small Defense Plants Administration. He also worked for the Democratic National Committee. Later in his career, he was a consultant with Leadership Resources and taught organizational behavior at George Washington University. Prior to his enlistment in the U.S. Army, he was a labor lawyer for the National Labor Relations Board.

J. Edward Kern ’38-’39 of Hollsopple, Pa., died Sept. 13, 2005. Formerly of Westmont, he was self-employed and the owner of a registered Hereford cattle-breeding company. He also served as an FBI agent and was a board member of Goodwill Industries, where he was board president in 1973 and 1974.

Charles B. Bayly Jr. ’39 LL.M. ’40 of Virginia Beach, Va., died Sept. 22, 2005. He was senior tax counsel for the Columbia Broadcasting System, where he worked for more than 40 years.

James T. Kilbreth Jr. ’39 of Scarborough, Maine, died Oct. 21, 2005.

Horace G. Nebeker ’39 of Houston died Sept. 9, 2005. He was a longtime employee of Texas Eastern Transmission Corp. He joined the legal department of La Gloria Oil and Gas Co. in 1940 and moved to Houston in 1958, when the company was acquired by Texas Eastern. During WWII, he served as a judge advocate in the U.S. Navy in Hawaii and Washington, D.C. He remained in the Reserve and attained the rank of lieutenant commander.

Philip J. Bisceglia ’39-’41 of Long Beach, N.Y., died Jan. 20, 2005. He was vice president of American Transit Insurance Co. in New York City and counsel to the New York State Legislature.

Charles L. Prince ’39-’40 of Alta, Calif., died Nov. 18, 2005. He was president of C.L. Prince Co. in Colfax, Calif., and chairman of the Colfax City Planning Commission.


Brent M. Abel ’40 of San Rafael, Calif., died Dec. 26, 2005. He was a partner at Bingham McCutchen in San Francisco, where he specialized in estate planning and taxes, and he was president of both the San Francisco and California bar associations. During WWII, he was lieutenant commander of the destroyer escort USS Buckley when, on May 6, 1944, his 28th birthday, his ship rammed a German U-boat. During the engagement, German soldiers boarded the destroyer and engaged in hand-to-hand combat for control of the Buckley. Under Abel’s command, the destroyer reversed its engines, sank the sub and rescued 36 German crew members. He was awarded the Navy Cross for his actions.

Woods McCahill ’40 of Slingerlands, N.Y., died Oct. 3, 2005. For 26 years he served in the legal department of General Electric in Schenectady. Earlier in his career, he worked in the tax department of a Cleveland law firm. He was a director of Kaymyr, a Glens Falls company, and the State Bank in Albany. He was president of Albany Medical Center Foundation and the Albany Boys’ Club and served as a trustee of Albany Medical College, Hotchkiss School and Siena College. During WWII, he served as a lieutenant in the U.S. Navy.

Ronald C. Roeschlaub ’40 of Glendale, Calif., died Dec. 8, 2005. He was president of Irontite Products Co. in El Monte.

John A. Thierry ’40 of Hill, N.H., died Feb. 1, 2006. Formerly of Milwaukee, Wis., he was a longtime employee of Bucyrus International. He began his career as an attorney with Bucyrus-Erie Co. and served as vice president, director and officer of several of the company’s subsidiaries and affiliates throughout the world. In 1977, he retired as senior vice president. He was a director of both Columbia and St. Luke’s hospitals and the Citizens Governmental Research Bureau. A founder of the United Performing Arts Fund in Milwaukee, he served as president in 1970. He was also a trustee of the Wisconsin Conservatory of Music and, after retiring to New Hampshire, served on the board and was head of fundraising for the New Hampshire Music Festival. He established the Southeast Asia Art Foundation and donated his collection of books, photographs and slides of Southeast Asian sculpture to the University of Michigan in 2003. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers at Fort Belvoir, Va., attaining the rank of captain.

John F. Robertson ’40-’41 of Canastota, N.Y., died Oct. 9, 2005. He practiced law at his family’s firm, Robertson and Robertson, from 1947 to 2002. He was supervisor for the town of Lenox, N.Y., from 1962 to 1973 and president of the Canastota Board of Education for 12 years. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Army Air Forces in Italy and North Africa and received the Bronze Star.

John Boustead ’41 of Ho-Ho-Kus, N.J., died Jan. 14, 2006. He practiced patent law at McLean, Boustead and Sayre in New York City.

Charles F. Brown ’41 of Washington, D.C., died March 21, 2006. He was general counsel for the National Science Foundation, where he worked for 10 years beginning in 1966. He helped create the foundation when he was general counsel of the Office of Scientific Research and Development after WWII, and in 1976, he received the foundation’s Distinguished Service Award. During the war, he was a key player in scientific research and development for the OSRD. He later assisted in the creation of NATO and was named the alliance’s deputy assistant secretary general for production and logistics in 1953. For six years, he was associate general counsel to the CIA before joining the Scientific Engineering Institute in Waltham, Mass., as vice president and treasurer.

Caspar W. Weinberger ’41 of Mount Desert Island, Maine, died March 28, 2006. He served in the cabinets of Presidents Richard Nixon and Ronald Reagan. From 1981 to 1987, he was secretary of defense in the Reagan administration and presided over the biggest peacetime increase in military spending in U.S. history. He was a strong advocate of the Strategic Defense Initiative, which proposed a space-based missile defense shield. In the 1970s, he was budget director, and later secretary of health, education and welfare, for President Nixon. He was also the fourth publisher of Forbes magazine and was later named chairman of the company. He began his political career in the California Legislature in 1952, and in 1969, he served as chairman of the Federal Trade Commission. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Army’s infantry in the Pacific.

Chester Devenow ’41-’42 of Toledo, Ohio, died Nov. 6, 2005. He was a manager of two small operations in Toledo in the early 1960s when he orchestrated a takeover of a large Detroit manufacturing firm. He then transformed the resulting merged company, Sheller-Globe Corp., into an automotive supplier with sales of nearly $1 billion annually. After his company was taken over in 1986, he became a bank executive and served as chairman of Trustcorp Inc. He served on many civic boards and received the Ohio Governor’s Award in 1981. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Army as an intelligence officer in the Pacific and was awarded the Bronze Star.

Bernard M. Halpern ’42 of Oakland, Pa., died Jan. 23, 2006. He was a leader in the Pittsburgh banking community and president of the Commercial Bank and Trust Co. He guided the bank through a series of mergers and buyouts and retired from banking in the late 1980s. He was also involved in two family businesses, J. Halpern Co., which manufactured toys and costumes, and the Washington Trust Co., a community bank, which was sold in 1956. President of Montefiore Hospital in the late 1960s, he helped the hospital affiliate with the University of Pittsburgh’s medical school. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Marine Corps as an intelligence officer in the Pacific theater, where he persuaded Japanese soldiers hiding in caves on the island of Guam to surrender. He received the Bronze Star and attained the rank of major.

Sherman S. Lawrence ’42 of East Hills, N.Y., died Jan. 9, 2006. An attorney at Kane, Kessler, he specialized in corporate, estate and real estate law. He was a trustee of the Bernard and Helen Sheftman Foundation, president of the Garden City Jewish Center and a supporter of the Rabbi Isaac Elchanan Theological Seminary at Yeshiva University.

Fred W. Peel Jr. ’42 of Los Gatos, Calif., died Nov. 10, 2005. He was a tax lawyer in Washington, D.C., and a professor emeritus at the University of Arkansas at Little Rock School of Law. He wrote two editions of “Consolidated Tax Returns” and co-wrote a third edition. For 25 years he practiced law in Washington, D.C., as a partner with Alvord & Alvord and later with Miller & Chevalier. He also worked for the U.S. government and was a staff attorney of the Joint Congressional Committee on Internal Revenue Taxation. During WWII, he served as a captain in the Office of Strategic Services.

Bennett I. Berman ’46 of Chicago died Feb. 11, 2006. He was general counsel of National Tea Co., a retail grocery chain that operated supermarkets throughout the U.S. He later was a solo practitioner in Chicago, specializing in commercial real estate and business law. A chairman of the Chicago Bar Association’s landlord and tenant subcommittee, he lectured on real estate law, and several of his articles on the subject were published in the Chicago Bar Record. For more than 25 years, he served as a director of the Harvard Club of Chicago. He most recently served as the club’s treasurer.

Edmund J. Flynn ’46 of Colorado Springs, Colo., died Jan. 11, 2006. Formerly of San Francisco, he was an attorney for the Pacific Maritime Association, an association of shipping companies there. Between 1971 and 1972, he represented the company in negotiations with the longshoremen’s union during a 136-day strike. Flynn began his career in the nation’s capital, serving as an attorney for the National Labor Relations Board and later as counsel at the Printers’ Union. He moved to Salt Lake City to represent Kennecott Copper Corp. in negotiations with miners’ unions, before joining the Pacific Maritime Association in 1969. During WWII, he served as a commander in the U.S. Army Air Forces and received the Purple Heart.

Alvin J. Slater ’46 of Boston and Palm Beach, Fla., died Feb. 2, 2006. A real estate attorney, he represented many Boston-area banks and specialized in eminent domain trial work and conveyancing. He was counsel to the Workingmen’s Co-operative Bank of Boston and was a proprietor of the Boston Athenaeum. He left the practice of law in 1972 to attend to business interests in real estate and investment securities. In 2003, he was inducted into the Collegium of Distinguished Alumni at Boston University, where he endowed a chair in Jewish Holocaust Studies at the Elie Wiesel Center for Judaic Studies.

Lansing B. Lee Jr. ’47 of Augusta, Ga., died Nov. 2, 2005. For nearly six decades, he practiced law in Augusta. Lawyers from each of the last five generations of his family practiced there. A fellow of the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel, he was also chairman of the fiduciary law section of the State Bar of Georgia and president of the Augusta Bar Association. In 1997, he was honored by the Augusta Bar Association upon the completion of his 50th year of practicing law and was lauded as a “lawyer’s lawyer” and a “latter-day Renaissance Man.” During WWII, he was an officer in the U.S. Army Air Forces.

Joseph M. Boychuk ’48 of Surprise, Ariz., died Jan. 19, 2006. He was an attorney with Hennessy, Boychuk & Steinberg in New York City.

Philip A. Cramer ’48 of Laguna Niguel, Calif., died Jan. 10, 2005. He was an attorney in Tustin, Calif.

John E. Hess ’48 of Orono, Maine, died Feb. 13, 2006. Formerly of Bangor, he was of counsel for Eaton, Peabody, Bradford & Veague, now Eaton Peabody. He was a director of Eastern Maine Medical Center, Eastern Trust Co. and Husson College and chairman of the Bangor City Council.

John W. Hill Jr. ’48 of Concord, Mass., died Feb. 11, 2006. A consultant and an international seller of electronic printing equipment used by newspapers and other periodicals, he began his career as a market research analyst with Mergenthaler Linotype Co. in New York. He later worked with a printing press manufacturer in Chicago before becoming vice president of global marketing at Photon Inc. in Wilmington, Mass. An advocate for legislative and administrative support for issues and funding affecting the Department of Mental Retardation, he was president of the parents’ association at Hogan Regional Center in Danvers, Mass., where his mentally disabled younger brother was a resident. During WWII, he served in the medical detachment of the 37th Field Artillery Battalion. He fought in the Battle of the Bulge and served in the Rhineland and in Central Europe.

John E. Kilgore Jr. ’48 of Surry, Maine, died Dec. 30, 2004.

Lawrence B. Morris Jr. ’48 of Darien, Conn., died March 22, 2006. A 50-year resident of Darien, he was a corporate attorney and an investment banker. For 22 years, he practiced law at the New York City firm of White and Case. In 1969, he left the firm to join Dean Witter, where he was senior vice president for four months before being named president. He resigned in 1971, citing philosophical differences over moving the company’s executive headquarters, and became general partner of Wertheim & Co. From 1974 until his retirement, he practiced law at Patterson, Belknap, Webb & Tyler. A civic leader in Darien, he served as president of the Darien Land Trust and was a longtime trustee of the Kips Bay Boys & Girls Club of New York. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Army Signal Corps, attaining the rank of major. He was awarded the Legion of Merit, the Italian Cross of Military Valor and the Polish Silver Cross of Merit.

S. Fred Tsuchida ’48 of Mamaroneck, N.Y., died Dec. 30, 2005. He was a partner at Reid & Priest in New York City and an adviser to Mitsubishi International Corp. and Mitsubishi Estate New York Inc. He represented the Japan Commercial Arbitration Association in U.S. arbitration proceedings.

Hilton A. Wick ’48 of Burlington, Vt., died March 17, 2006. A Vermont attorney and state senator for one term in 1988, he taught business law at the University of Vermont and was president of Chittenden Trust Co. He raised money for a variety of environmental, health and social causes, including the expansion of Fletcher Allen Health Care, where a plaza was named in his honor. During WWII, he served in the South Pacific.

Haig Barsamian ’49 of Providence, R.I., and Boca Raton, Fla., died Jan. 20, 2006. For more than 50 years, he practiced law in Providence. During WWII, he served as a first lieutenant in the U.S. Army Air Forces in Europe.

Charles D. Gersten ’49 of Boca Raton, Fla., died March 16, 2006. A longtime resident of West Hartford, Conn., he founded Gersten & Gersten in Hartford with his brother in 1950. In 1988, he helped found Gersten & Clifford with his son and several other partners. He taught at annual Tax Institutes during the ’60s and early ’70s and, later in his career, served as a parajudicial officer for the federal court in Connecticut. He was a founder and director of the Equity Bank in Wethersfield and was a supporter of Trinity College, the Chabad House in Simsbury and St. Francis Hospital. During WWII, he served as a U.S. Army staff sergeant in Italy.

James J. Kerrigan Jr. ’49 of Naples, Fla., died Dec. 21, 2005. He was vice president for finance and law at Inmont Corp. in New Jersey, which is now part of BASF, a chemical company. He was in private practice before joining Inmont in 1954. He retired in 1981. A company commander in the U.S. Marines during WWII, he served in Guam; Okinawa, Japan; and then Beijing during the occupation of northern China. He later served during the Korean War.

Melvin H. Morgan ’49 of Mill Valley, Calif., died Jan. 23, 2006. He was a founding partner at Janin, Morgan & Brenner in San Francisco, where he practiced law for more than 50 years. He served in the U.S. Navy.

Francis S. Moulton Jr. ’49 of Concord, Mass., died Jan. 2, 2006. He was of counsel at Bingham Dana & Gould, now known as Bingham McCutchen, in Boston, where he practiced estate planning and probate law. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Army.

Grover W. Radley ’49 of Ilion, N.Y., died Nov. 26, 2005. A longtime Ilion attorney, he established Radley and Rheinhardt with his son. From 1967 to 1985, he was town attorney for German Flatts, N.Y. During WWII, he was a first lieutenant in the U.S. Army’s Medical Administrative Corps. He participated in the Battle of the Bulge and was awarded the Purple Heart.

Richard F. Vander Veen ’49 of Grand Rapids, Mich., died March 3, 2006. In 1974, he succeeded former President Gerald Ford in Congress, becoming the first Democrat to represent Michigan’s conservative 5th District in 64 years. He later founded the Resource Energy Co., a wind energy company, and was a member of the Michigan State Waterways Commission. In 1992, he founded the Ryerson Library Foundation, which raised $31 million to build the downtown Grand Rapids library. He was stationed in the South Pacific with the U.S. Navy during WWII and later served in the Korean War.


Kingsbury Browne Jr. ’50 of Kennebunkport, Maine, died Nov. 11, 2005. An attorney and conservationist, he was a partner at Hill & Barlow in Boston and a founder of the Land Trust Alliance. He began his career at Choate, Hall & Stewart and was also an attorney at Peabody, Kaufman and Brewer, both in Boston. He was a fellow at the Lincoln Institute of Land Policy in 1980 and visited more than a dozen land trusts in the West. Two years later, he helped found what became the Land Trust Alliance, which provides assistance to more than 1,500 land trusts nationally and has been instrumental in preserving almost 9 million acres of land. He served as general counsel to the alliance and editor and chairman of its Conservation Tax Program. He also taught at Northeastern, Suffolk and Boston universities. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Army Air Forces in the Pacific theater.

Joseph H. Greenberg ’50 of Indianapolis died Nov. 28, 2005. He was a partner and later of counsel at Bamberger & Feibleman in Indianapolis, where he focused his practice on estate planning and probate law and real property law. He was active in the Jewish Welfare Foundation and was a director of the Indianapolis Bar Association.

Howard R. Kaufman ’50 of Palm Beach, Fla., died Jan. 11, 2006.

Duncan Lennon ’50 of Charlotte, N.C., died March 8, 2006. He was vice president and tax counsel for Duke Power Co. in Charlotte and later was of counsel to Hopkins, Sutter, Hamel & Parks in Washington, D.C. He volunteered at the Shepherd’s Center of Charlotte, an interfaith senior center, and he and his wife traveled the world with Friendship Force, an international cultural exchange organization with headquarters in Atlanta. During WWII, he was a cryptographer.

Bernard C. Welch ’50 of Longboat Key, Fla., died Jan. 15, 2006. Formerly of Boston, he was trust counsel for Shawmut Bank there, and his principal areas of practice were estate planning and probate law.

George B. Boston ’51 of Bowling Green, Ky., died March 3, 2006. A longtime Bowling Green attorney, he was a judge for the Bowling Green Police Court and a master commissioner and domestic relations commissioner for the Warrant Circuit Court. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Army’s 30th Infantry Division in France and Germany and received two Purple Hearts and the Bronze Star.

Clifford J. Friedman ’51 of Kent, Conn., died Jan. 6, 2006. Formerly of New York City, he was a stockbroker and then an arbitrator for the American Arbitration Association, the New York Stock Exchange and NASDAQ. A longtime board member of the Brooklyn College Foundation, he received the college’s Presidential Medal in 1981 and was named a life trustee in 1985. He served in the armed forces for three years during WWII.

Leonard H. Krim ’51 of Flushing, N.Y., died Jan. 18, 2006. He was a Manhattan lawyer and a principal of Pelham Realty Associates.

George L. Thurlow ’51 of Visalia, Calif., died March 17, 2006.

Edwin B. Barnett ’52 of Haverford, Pa., died Feb. 4, 2006. He was an attorney for more than 40 years, and his clients included the developers of the former Liberty Bell Race Track. Earlier in his career, he was associated with the Philadelphia firms of Strong & Barnett and O’Brien & O’Brien. Before retiring in the 1990s, he assisted in his son’s Havertown law practice. He was on the council of managers for the Philadelphia Archdiocese Office for Development and was a board member and served on committees of Catholic Charities.

A. Edward “Ed” Kendig ’52 of Wheatland, Wyo., died Sept. 14, 2005. He was a longtime bank president in Wyoming and a state senator from 1963 to 1977. After graduating from HLS, he joined the State Bank of Wheatland, later known as First National Bank in Wheatland and then Norwest Bank-Wyoming, where he retired as president in 1987. In the mid-1950s, he briefly worked for a Denver law firm before returning to banking in Wheatland. He was president of the Wyoming Bankers Association, a trustee of Wheatland’s school board and a director of the Independent Bankers Association. During WWII, he served as a sergeant first class in the U.S. Army.

Edward Lane-Reticker ’52 of Brunswick, Maine, died Dec. 13, 2005. A banking lawyer for 40 years, he retired as general counsel of Bank of New England Group after working for Bank of New England and its predecessor companies from 1960 to 1991. He had joined the Connecticut Bank and Trust Co. in 1960 and served as its secretary and general counsel. He also taught in and was associate director of the Boston University Graduate Program in Banking and Financial Law. Early in his career, he worked at the Institute of Government at the University of North Carolina before joining the Connecticut Public Expenditure Council to work on court reorganization. He also practiced law with Murtha, Cullina, Richter & Pinney in Hartford and was of counsel to Edwards & Angell. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Navy Reserve, and he retired as a captain in 1977.

Adolfo F. Luca ’52 of Brooklyn, N.Y., died Feb. 20, 2006. He worked in private practice before joining NBC as an attorney in New York.

Bernard Cedarbaum ’53 of New York City died Feb. 5, 2006. He was a longtime partner at Carter, Ledyard & Milburn in New York City, where he was chairman of the corporate department and a member of the executive committee. He was the principal corporate legal adviser to the U.S. Trust Company of New York and handled the company’s first public offering of shares in 1976. He also handled the incorporation of the American Express Co. Formerly of Scarsdale, he was involved in many civic organizations there, including as a village trustee and a member of the board of education. He was awarded the town’s highest civic honor, the Scarsdale Bowl Award, in 1999. During the Korean War, he served in the U.S. Army in Germany. He was the father of Daniel Cedarbaum ’83.

Joshua M. Twilley ’53 of Dover, Del., died June 25, 2005. For 50 years he practiced law in Dover. In 1975, he was appointed to the Delaware Public Service Commission, where he served for more than 30 years. He was a member of the Gas Research Institute Advisory Council and the Gas Committee of the National Association of Regulatory Utility Commissioners, and he wrote the code of ethics for the NARUC. He served on many boards, including those of the First National Bank of Wyoming, Dover Chamber of Commerce and Catholic Social Services. He was also a board member and president of the Elizabeth W. Murphey School. He served in the U.S. Army during the Korean War.

Anton W. Bigman ’54 of Pittsburgh died Feb. 15, 2006. A solo practitioner in Pittsburgh and Braddock, Pa., he was solicitor for the Braddock-, North Braddock- and General Braddock-area school districts for more than 25 years. In 1981, he helped establish Pennsylvania’s Woodland Hills School District.

Clark C. King Jr. ’54 of Northbrook, Ill., died March 6, 2006. A trial attorney for 36 years, he was a partner at Lord, Bissell and Brook in Chicago. He was a 46-year resident of Northbrook, where he was active in many community organizations, including the Northbrook Civic Association and Northfield Township Republicans. He served in the U.S. Army.

Abraham Kon ’54 of San Francisco died Jan. 29, 2005. For 39 years, he worked for Macy’s West, previously known as Macy’s California. During his tenure, he served in various merchandising and management positions, and for 11 years, he served as senior shortage controller.

Raymond A. Reister ’55 of Minneapolis, died Sept. 4, 2005. An attorney with Dorsey & Whitney in Minneapolis for 34 years, he focused his career on trust and estate law. He was an adjunct faculty member for the University of Minnesota extension division and a fellow of the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel. He was co-editor of the publication Minnesota Probate Administration. In the 1950s, he served as a judge advocate in the U.S. Army in Germany. He served on many community boards, including as director of the Minnesota Humanities Commission, treasurer of the Minnesota Historical Society and vice president of the Minneapolis Athenaeum.

Donald J. Bain ’56 of Riverdale, N.Y., died Jan. 3, 2006. Formerly of Barnstable, Mass., he was the owner of a bed-and-breakfast, Ashley Manor, in Barnstable.

Edward P. Ellis ’56 of Atlanta died Nov. 5, 2005. He was a partner at Ellis Moore & Simons in Atlanta, where he focused his practice on estate planning and probate law and taxation law.

Lloyd S. Kupferberg ’56 of Highland Park, Ill., died Dec. 25, 2005. He practiced corporate law as an attorney at Schwartz, Cooper, Greenberger & Krauss in Chicago. A mandatory arbitration panelist in the Circuit Court of Cook County and a guardian ad litem of the 12th Judicial Circuit of Florida, he was also a director and officer of the Edmond and Alice Opler Foundation.

Paul K. McDonald ’56 of Greenwich, Conn., died July 21, 2005. He was president of Paul McDonald & Co., a financial services company.

Richard J. Cravens ’57 of Evanston, Ill., died July 16, 2005. He was in private practice in Evanston. Earlier in his career, he specialized in banking and commercial real estate finance at the First National Bank of Chicago. From 1980 to 1987, he was a member of the Chicago Bar Association’s real property committee.

Arthur L. Harper ’57 of Boca Raton, Fla., died Feb. 3, 2006. He specialized in permitting and environmental legislation and worked in the legal department of General Development Corp. in Miami. After graduating from HLS, he worked for a Boston law firm before serving for five years as a missionary for the Congregational Church in what is now Zimbabwe. He was also headmaster of Thomas Girls School in Connecticut. He received a special commendation from President Richard Nixon for his work in establishing the Protect Your Environment Club in New England.

Charles D. Hawley ’57 of Bethesda, Md., died March 26, 2006. He was senior counsel for the U.S. Postal Service in Washington, D.C., where he worked from 1968 to 1997. During his career, he was an associate at Covington & Burling and taught law at the University of Idaho and Case Western Reserve University in Ohio. From 1957 to 1966, he served in the U.S. Navy Judge Advocate General’s Corps, and he was later in the U.S. Navy Reserve.

Frederick N. Young ’57 of Dayton, Ohio, died Jan. 12, 2006. He was a judge of the Ohio 2nd District Court of Appeals and a state representative. After graduating from HLS, he joined his father’s law firm, and he served as an Ohio state representative from 1968 to 1976. He spent 35 years in the practice of law before his election to the appellate bench, where he served two six-year terms. He was also chairman of the Montgomery County Republican Party from 1977 to 1982 and was twice a delegate to the Republican National Convention.

James O. Freedman ’57-’58 of Cambridge, Mass., died March 21, 2006. A president of Dartmouth College and the University of Iowa, he was an advocate for liberal arts education and well-known for speaking out against prejudice and bigotry in the academic world. A collection of his essays, “Idealism and Liberal Education,” was published in 1996. Early in his career, he was an assistant law professor at the University of Pennsylvania, where he was later associate provost and dean of the law school. He was named president of the University of Iowa in 1982 and of Dartmouth in 1987. He was later president of the American Academy of Arts & Sciences in Cambridge.

Thomas P. Moonan ’58 of Pittsford, N.Y., died March 27, 2005. He was president and CEO of Monroe Title Insurance Corp. He joined the family-owned business in 1997 and helped it grow to include 200 employees in 23 offices across New York state. He was previously a real estate attorney in the Rochester area for more than 30 years and served as president of the New York State Land Title Association from 2003 to 2004. A charter member of the American College of Real Estate Lawyers, he was also chairman of the New York State Bar Association real property law section and president of the Title Insurance Rate Service Association.

William C. Withers ’58 of Woodbridge, Conn., died Jan. 20, 2006. He was in private practice in Woodbridge, where he was active in real estate and community affairs and served on the Zoning Board of Appeals. He moved to Woodbridge in 1966 and was in-house counsel for the Pond Lily Co. in New Haven. Earlier in his career, he focused his practice on tax and international law and worked for the Irving Trust Co., the Internal Revenue Service and Raytheon. While at the IRS, he was involved in preparing the first income tax treaty to be argued before the U.S. Supreme Court, Maximov v. United States. He was active in the Boy Scouts of America and was the father of five Eagle Scouts. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Air Force.

Burnham H. Greeley ’59 of Honolulu died Jan. 26, 2006. He was a partner at Greeley Walker & Kowen in Honolulu.


Richard H. Bailin ’60 of Oakland, Calif., died Feb. 22, 2006. A Hayward, Calif., attorney for more than 45 years, he specialized in business transactions, real estate and estate planning. After graduating from HLS, he joined Dunne, Phelps & Mills in San Francisco, where he was managing partner. He was a founding member of Hunters Point Youth Park and was president of its board of directors for almost 30 years. He was also president of the San Francisco Junior Chamber of Commerce and a trustee of the St. Rose Hospital Foundation.

John R. Kramer ’62 of New Orleans died March 7, 2006. He was an associate dean and professor at the Georgetown University Law Center, and he established legal clinics at both Georgetown and Tulane universities. He joined Georgetown University Law Center as associate dean for clinical education in 1970 and served for 10 years, and he was later dean of Tulane Law School. During his career, he advised U.S. Rep. Adam Clayton Powell on the House Committee on Education and Labor in the 1960s and was special counsel to the chairman of the House Committee on Agriculture in the 1970s. He was president of the Field Foundation for 10 years and founding chairman of the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities for more than 20.

Alan Merson ’62 of Seattle died Oct. 4, 2005. He was a Unitarian minister in Washington state and British Columbia, Canada. After law school, he moved to Alaska and opened a mobile legal aid clinic for Native Americans. He later taught law in Denver and was head of the Environmental Protection Agency’s Rocky Mountain region. In 1972, he was involved in his first of four political campaigns when he defeated a 24-year incumbent Colorado congressman in the Democratic primary but lost the general election. In 1980, he moved to Washington to represent San Juan County’s effort to block a trans-Puget Sound oil pipeline. He later became a Unitarian minister, serving as a volunteer prison chaplain. In 2001, after he was diagnosed with stomach and bone cancer, he became an advocate for health care for the poor, walking across Washington state just last year to draw attention to the nation’s health care crisis. He served in the U.S. Navy.

Henry G. Zapruder ’62 of Chevy Chase, Md., died Jan. 24, 2006. A Washington, D.C., tax attorney, he was a senior partner at Baker & Hostetler and a key adviser for Interest on Lawyers’ Trust Accounts, a program that has raised more than $1 billion to pay fees of lawyers working for impoverished clients. Earlier in his career, he worked for the U.S. Justice Department and several private firms before forming a tax specialty law firm, Zapruder & Odell, in 1989. On Nov. 22, 1963, his father, a Dallas dressmaker, captured on film the assassination of President John F. Kennedy. Zapruder handled various matters pertaining to his father’s 26 seconds of footage until 1999, when the federal government bought the film for $16 million.

Jeanine Jacobs Goldberg ’63 of Los Angeles died Jan. 31, 2006. She was a tax lawyer at Tyre Kamins Katz Granof & Menes in Los Angeles. She began her career as a trial lawyer with the U.S. Department of Justice in Washington, D.C., and later served as senior tax counsel for Atlantic Richfield in Los Angeles. She was also a director and president of the Beverly Hills Estate Counselors Forum and vice president of the Beverly Hills Bar Foundation.

Charles P. Normandin ’63 of Wellesley, Mass., died Dec. 21, 2005. A bankruptcy lawyer, he spent his career at Ropes & Gray in Boston, where he was a partner for 25 years. He was a member of the National Bankruptcy Conference and a fellow of the American College of Bankruptcy.

Stuart C. Hall ’64 of Anchorage, Alaska, died Nov. 9, 2005. He was a solo practitioner in Anchorage and served as ombudsman for the state of Alaska from 1994 to 1997. Earlier in his career, he worked as legislative counsel in Alaska and served seven years on the Alaska Public Utilities Commission. He established Viva Alaska! Enterprises and was president of the Government Hill Community Council. He served in the U.S. Air Force Reserve as a lieutenant colonel.

David L. Stone ’64 of New Orleans died Aug. 18, 2005. He was a lawyer for 30 years at Stone Pigman Walther Wittmann, a New Orleans firm co-founded by his father, and served on its management committee. He was a director of Ochsner Clinic Foundation and chairman of the Louisiana Council of the American Israel Public Affairs Committee, from which he received a leadership award in March 2005. Active in New Orleans theater, he played leading roles in modern dramas and Gilbert and Sullivan operettas.

Lawrence W. Kanaga III ’65 of Milford, Conn., died March 12, 2006. He was of counsel to Schine, Julianelle & Antonucci of Orange and Westport, Conn. During his career, he was a trial attorney with Goldstein and Peck in Bridgeport and a founding partner at Zeldes, Needle & Cooper, also in Bridgeport. Active in the Special Olympics, he was an internationally certified official for boccie and officiated at the Special Olympics World Games in 1995 and 1999. A carpenter, he established the Walnut Beach Woodwork & Cabinet Co. in Milford and, in 2005, was granted a patent for his invention of a system for precision miter cutting.

M. Chase Waring ’66 died Oct. 12, 1986, in Hanover, N.H. A family member wrote recently to inform the Bulletin that his death had never been noted in the magazine.

William J. Burke ’67 of Glen Head, N.Y., died June 9, 2005. He was a litigator and partner at Burke & Stone in New York City, where he concentrated his practice on federal, maritime, commercial and tort defense work. He was a trustee of Manhattan College and president of the Manhattan College Alumni Society.

Wilfred K. Watanabe ’67 of Honolulu died Dec. 26, 2005. He was a judge of the First Circuit Court in Honolulu from 1985 to 2003. He began his judicial career in 1981, when he was appointed a district court judge. Earlier in his career, he practiced law with two firms, Padgett and Greeley and Chuck & Fujiyama, before becoming a solo practitioner. In 1974, he was Hawaii’s House majority attorney. Before attending HLS, he was a U.S. Air Force pilot for nearly nine years.

Anthony F. Granucci ’68 of San Francisco died Dec. 7, 2005. He was a developer of railway infrastructure for Bechtel Corp. in Europe and was involved in the privatization of the London Underground. Much of his career was spent at Mochtar, Karuwin & Komar in the Republic of Indonesia, where he was involved in many infrastructure developments. Before moving to the Far East, he was an attorney at what is now known as Thelen Reid & Priest in San Francisco. He developed an interest in the arts and archaeology of the Indonesian archipelago, and in 2004, he received a master’s degree in archaeology and ancient history from the University of Leicester in England. Shortly before his death, he published a book on the arts of the Lesser Sunda Islands of eastern Indonesia.

Andre J. Zdrazil ’68 of St. Paul, Minn., died May 7, 2005.

Frank L. Gniffke ’69 of Waipahu, Hawaii, died Oct. 11, 2005. An international law attorney, he specialized in U.S.-Asia business. For a total of 20 years between 1969 and 1996, he lived and worked in Japan or Hong Kong and was a member of the Hong Kong and Japan bar associations.

Steven P. Frankino ’69-’70 of Wayne, Pa., died Sept. 27, 2005. A professor at Catholic University and dean of the university’s Columbus School of Law, he also served as dean of the law school at Villanova University and remained on the Villanova faculty until his death. He was Catholic University’s general counsel and law school dean from 1979 to 1986, when he became dean of the law school at Villanova, serving until 1997. He participated in the ABA’s Central European and Eurasian Law Initiative to bring about legal reform in the former communist bloc, and he was treasurer of the Pennsylvania Health Law Project.

Correction: The obituary notice for Larry D. Soderquist ’69 that appeared in the Spring 2006 Bulletin incorrectly stated that he was a captain and chief intelligence officer in the U.S. Army during the Vietnam War. In fact, he was a captain in the U.S. Army military police and was stationed in Okinawa, Japan, during the Vietnam War.


James H. Rice ’71 of Oklahoma City died July 14, 2005. He was an attorney in Cleveland before moving to Oklahoma in 1976. For four years, he was a second lieutenant in the U.S. Army, stationed at NASA’s Lewis Research Center. After he left the military, he worked at NASA on the development of the first heat shields for space travel. He was president of the Oklahoma City Ski Club and the Central Oklahoma Opera League, where he founded an opera library.

James C. Gray Jr. ’72 of Washington, D.C., died March 9, 2006. He was an associate professor at the University of the District of Columbia David A. Clarke School of Law and played a major role in helping the school gain full accreditation, reviewing the curriculum and teaching the in-house bar-passage program. He joined the faculty as dean of students in 1991 and began teaching international law, human rights law and alternative dispute resolution in 1998. Focusing his career on civil rights law, he was assistant counsel with the NAACP Legal Defense Fund in New York City and a United Nations legal adviser during the Carter administration. He also worked with the Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law.

Robert H. Bohn Jr. LL.M. ’74 of Concord, Mass., died Nov. 26, 2005. He was a judge of the Massachusetts Superior Court and a tutor for a private middle school for disadvantaged youths. Since 1989, he was an associate justice on the court, and prior to that, he was a district judge in Newton. Earlier in his career, he was an attorney with Neighborhood Legal Services in Washington, D.C., and a director of the Legal Aid Society in Wichita, Kan. In 1973, he was appointed to the Massachusetts Parole Board, and he was later director of the attorney general’s civil rights division, where he represented the State Board of Education for six years in a Boston school desegregation case.

Steve Prye ’78 of Memphis, Tenn., died Jan. 9, 2006. He was an attorney and taught at the University of Illinois College of Law and Vermont Law School. Early in his career, he practiced law in New York City, focusing on taxation and estate planning, and for many years, he wrote an estate planning column in the Memphis Commercial Appeal. He taught law until 2000 and was later diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder and placed under court-ordered guardianship. In 2004, he lost a suit against the state of Missouri and election officials alleging that the state’s mental competence requirement, which prohibits people with court-appointed guardians from voting, violates federal law.


Marcela D. Chennisi ’88 of Houston died Nov. 16, 2005. She worked for Hines Co., an international commercial real estate firm. Earlier in her career, she practiced commercial real estate law with Goulston & Storrs before moving to Seoul, South Korea. She served on the West University Parks Board and volunteered at Rice University, St. John’s School and River Oaks Elementary.

Christoph F. Hoebbel LL.M. ’89 of Munich, Germany, died May 17, 2005. He was a partner at Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher in Munich, where he was a member of the international corporate transactions group. He began his legal career with a New York City firm in 1991. He later worked at Beiten Burkhardt Mittl & Wegener, a German law firm, before joining Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher.


Shirin Shakir ’07 of Manhasset, N.Y., died March 31, 2006. A 2003 graduate of Williams College, she held summer internships with Sen. Hillary Clinton and the Legal Aid Society of New York. In 2005, she was a summer associate with Kramer Levin, where she helped win asylum for a persecuted Togolese woman. She was a member of the Law School Council and the International Law Society and, during her 1L year, a committee chairwoman for the Public Interest Auction. She died in a white-water rafting accident in Peru during spring break.