1920-29 | 1930-39 | 1930-39 | 1940-49 | 1950-59 | 1960-69 | 1970-79 | 1980-1989 | 1990-1999


Alexander Katzin ’28-’29 of Bala Cynwyd, Pa., died March 14, 2005. He was in private practice in Philadelphia. Earlier in his career, he served as a special deputy attorney general for the U.S. Department of Justice in Pennsylvania.


Milton B. Riskin ’30 of Bethlehem, Pa., died Nov. 15, 2004. He was a partner in a general practice in Bethlehem, where he focused on wills, estates and probate law. He was also president of Wilbur Savings and Loan Association and counsel for Moravian College in Bethlehem.

Max Freund ’32 of New York City died Dec. 29, 2004. He was a partner and then of counsel at Katten Muchin Zavis Rosenman in New York City, where he specialized in litigation.

James G. Henry Jr. ’32-’33 of Ft. Lauderdale, Fla., died Aug. 10, 2004. For almost 29 years, he was a judge for the Social Security Administration. He retired from the bench in 2003. Earlier in his career, he assisted the attorney general in New Jersey and helped prosecute city officials in Newark. He was vice president, general counsel and director for Heller Brothers Steel Co. A descendant of Patrick Henry, he was a member of the Sons of the American Revolution. He was also a trustee of Ocean County College in Toms River, N.J.

Craddock M. Gilmour ’33 of Salt Lake City died July 21, 2004. He was a solo practitioner in Salt Lake City and later founded Gilmour Lime Co. Earlier in his career, he practiced law in New York and London, before serving as general counsel to the Utah Tax Commission. In the 1960s, he served on the governor’s council on aging and was a chairman of the Utah State Bar Association’s Committee on Dangerous Drugs and Narcotics. Active in Episcopal Church affairs, he served on a standing commission on racism in the 1960s, helped draft human relations legislation for the church and drafted its statement on Vietnam. During WWII, he served as a colonel in the U.S. Army and received the Legion of Merit for his work on war contracts at the Pentagon.

Francis W. Jenness ’33-’34 of Cape Elizabeth, Maine, died Feb. 24, 2005. An advertising and jingle copywriter for commercial products and retail stores, he worked for Tatham-Laird & Kudner, now Euro RSCG Worldwide, and helped create jingles for Ovaltine and the clothing store Robert Hall. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Navy.

John N. Cole ’34 of Newport, R.I., died July 29, 2004. He worked for the U.S. Department of Justice in the antitrust division. He also worked in the Office of Price Administration. In 1946, he joined Maguire, Cole & Bentley in Stamford, Conn., and litigated cases against utility companies. He was a director of the South Shore Bank and the Multibank Financial Corp. A member of the Society of Mayflower Descendants, he wrote articles for the organization’s publication, the Mayflower Quarterly, and for Rhode Island History.

Jesse A. Hamilton ’34 of Glendale, Calif., died Oct. 17, 2004.

C. Francis Petit ’34 of Palo Alto, Calif., died Feb. 13, 2005. A lawyer and businessman, he worked for two law firms before joining Harvill Corp. and Southwest Products in Duarte, Calif. He was involved in the citrus industry and served as president of C.W. Petit Ranch and vice president of Reimer Petit Ranch. He also served on the board of La Vina Hospital in Altadena. In 1974, he won the American Lawn Bowls Association National Open Singles Championship; 10 years later, he was named manager of the association’s World Bowls Team; and in 1985, a tournament of the Pasadena Lawn Bowling Club was named in his honor.

Santo J. Salvo ’34 of Millville, N.J., and Hutchinson Island, Fla., died Jan. 8, 2005. A senior partner at Salvo & Salvo, he specialized in corporate law and was the first municipal judge of Millville. He served on the Millville Hospital Board and was chairman of the board of AAA of South Jersey for more than 55 years.

Robert S. Fuchs ’34-’35 of Newton, Mass., died Dec. 1, 2004. For 20 years, he was the New England regional director of the National Labor Relations Board, and he worked for the board for nearly 40 years. His father was owner of the Boston Braves baseball team from 1923 to 1935, and Fuchs was a third-string catcher and president of the Harrisburg (Pa.) Senators. He later wrote a book about his and his father’s experiences in baseball. For 25 years, he taught labor law at Boston College and Suffolk University. He served in the U.S. Army during WWII.

Norman Annenberg ’35 of New York City died Jan. 8, 2005. A solo practitioner in New York City, he specialized in matrimonial, corporate and estate law. He was a benefactor of the Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship Program at Columbia University. He was awarded the Bronze Star for his service in WWII.

James C. Phelps ’35 of Van Nuys, Calif., died July 6, 2004. He was a corporate director for industrial relations for Fibreboard Corp., a developer of forest products.

George E. Ray ’35 of Dallas died Jan. 11, 2004. He was president of Ray Trotti Hemphill Shearin & Finfrock in Dallas, where he specialized in tax and estate planning. He was president of the Texas Bureau for Economic Understanding, advisory director of the Small Business Council of America and a longtime board member of the Dallas Council on World Affairs. He served on Baylor University’s development council for 14 years and was named an honorary alumnus of the university’s law school in 1982. He wrote “Incorporating the Professional Practice.”

Elliott E. Ruskin ’35 of Boynton Beach, Fla., and Merrick, N.Y., died Nov. 28, 2004. For more than 50 years, he practiced law in New York City. He specialized in trusts and estates and taxes as a partner at Halperin Ruskin & Klau.

Robert Y. Taliaferro ’35 of El Dorado, Kan., died Feb. 19, 2005. He was a co-founder of the Butler County Abstract Co. After the company was sold in 1971, he continued to work for the new company until his retirement at the age of 75. He wrote columns for local newspapers and served on the boards of the American Red Cross and El Dorado’s Chamber of Commerce, Community Concerts and Library. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Navy and was aboard the USS Terror on May 1, 1945, when the ship was hit by a kamikaze, causing 171 casualties.

Robert Bygrave ’35-’36 of Bath, Maine, died Feb. 11, 2005.

Thomas H. Brown Jr. ’36 of Westport, Conn., died April 9, 2004. He was president of All State Venture Capital Corp., a small-business investment company.

William F. Delaney Jr. ’36 of Reno, Nev., died Aug. 3, 2004. Formerly of Allenhurst, N.J., he was president of Delaney Offices, a reinsurance firm in New York City.

Gerald P. Rosen ’36 of Roswell, Ga., died Oct. 9, 2004. Formerly of Marina Del Rey, Calif., he was a professor at Loyola Law School in Los Angeles. He joined the faculty in 1971 and was dean from 1981 to 1982. During his career, he was director of the Vanderbilt Group of Mutual Funds and president of the Pegasus Income & Capital Fund.

Bertram D. Sarafan ’36 of Southbury, Conn., died Dec. 5, 2004. A specialist in administrative law, he was chairman of the New York State Racing and Wagering Board and the New York State Liquor Authority. Earlier in his career, he was an assistant district attorney in New York. He was a veteran of WWII.

Ralph E. Clark Jr. ’36-’37 of Gunnison, Colo., died July 17, 2004. Formerly of Cincinnati, he was an attorney specializing in probate and trust law. He was a director and treasurer of the Cincinnati Travelers Aid Association and a trustee of the Ohio Bar Association. He later moved to Crested Butte, Colo., and restored the Rio Grande Railroad Depot, which he donated to the town for a community center. During WWII, he served with the 37th Infantry Division in the South Pacific.

C. William Cooper ’37 of Cranberry Township, Pa., died Feb. 20, 2005. Formerly of Falmouth, Mass., he was a solo practitioner there. He was a legal adviser to Falmouth Nursing Association, a director of the College Light Opera Co., and an officer of Falmouth Hospital and the Falmouth Village Improvement Association.

Winfield T. Durbin ’37 of La Jolla, Calif., died Jan. 24, 2005. He lived in the Chicago area for more than 60 years and practiced law there.

Maurice F. Joyce ’37 of Norwood, Mass., died March 5, 2004. Formerly of West Roxbury and Cambridge, Mass., he was a longtime real estate lawyer and an assessor for the city of Boston for 25 years. He also taught real estate at Burdett College.

Salvatore E. Pirro ’37 of Garden City, N.Y., died July 7, 2004. He was a solo practitioner specializing in immigration law. He taught adult education Spanish, Italian and French classes and served as editor of the Kiwanis Bulletin of Garden City.

Jay E. Rubinow ’37 of Manchester, Conn., died Jan. 4, 2005. A Superior Court judge and state probate court administrator, he presided over a 1970s trial that found that Connecticut’s system of funding public school education was unconstitutional. He was named the best trial judge in Connecticut in 1976 by Connecticut Magazine and the Connecticut Bar Association. From 1961 to 1967, he served as chief judge of the Connecticut Circuit Court. A lifelong resident of Manchester, he practiced law there for 23 years prior to his judicial appointment. After retiring from the bench in 1982, he served as a state trial referee.

Frederick Bold Jr. ’38 of San Francisco died Dec. 14, 2003. A specialist in California water law, he founded the Diablo Water District in 1953 and served as general counsel to both the Diablo and Contra Costa water districts for many decades. For 23 years, he was a partner in the firm of Carlson, Collins, Gordon, and Bold in Richmond, Calif., and in 1970, he organized the firm now known as Bold, Polisner, Maddow, Nelson & Judson in Walnut Creek. When he retired in 2003, at the age of 90, he was one of the oldest practicing lawyers in the state. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Army and participated in D-Day. He later served in the U.S. Army Reserve, attaining the rank of colonel.

Henry G. Fischer ’38 of Washington, D.C., died Jan. 3, 2005. A Washington, D.C., lawyer and publisher, he was president of Pike & Fischer, a legal publishing company in Silver Spring, Md. He founded the firm in 1939 and published “Federal Rules Service,” a treatise on the federal rules of civil procedure, as well as other treatises on federal regulation. His company later became a subsidiary of the Bureau of National Affairs. He also concentrated in communications law and civil procedure at Fischer Willis & Panzer. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Army Signal Corps.

Sidney I. Roberts ’38 of New York City died Feb. 26, 2005. An international tax lawyer, he co-founded Roberts & Holland in New York City. He was president of the U.S. branch of the International Fiscal Association and wrote many treatises and articles on tax matters. He also taught at Columbia Law School.

Sidney H. Willner ’38 of New York City died March 14, 2005. He was a longtime executive of Hilton International, joining the company in 1958 as vice president. He negotiated purchases and sales, leases and contracts for the company and helped it expand from four hotels to 90 worldwide. At 73, he and a partner started a hotel chain, Medallion Hotels, and he served as chairman. Earlier in his career, he worked for the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission as an associate director of its public utilities and corporate reorganization division and practiced international and corporate law in Washington, D.C. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Army Judge Advocate General’s Corps, attaining the rank of captain. After the war, he reorganized the German coal and steel industries, breaking up three companies into 30 enterprises, and helped negotiate a treaty that created the European Coal and Steel Community.

Stanley H. Gaines ’39 of Falls Church, Va., died Jan. 17, 2005. An attorney and CIA officer, he worked for the agency in Germany and Washington, D.C., before retiring in 1973, and received its Intelligence Medal of Merit. He later was in private practice with Keating & Johnson. During WWII, he was an artillery officer and scout in the U.S. Army, landing at Normandy Beach three days after D-Day. He attained the rank of captain and served in the Judge Advocate General’s Office after the war ended.

Warner H. Henrickson ’39 of La Mirada, Calif., died April 11, 2005. Formerly of Homewood, Ill., he was tax counsel to Amoco Oil Co. in Chicago for 30 years. He also taught at Marquette University Law School in Milwaukee.

Frederick S. Lane ’39 of Hingham, Mass., died March 21, 2005. A specialist in real estate law, he was a longtime partner at Nutter McClennen & Fish in Boston, where he was chairman of the real estate and finance department and a member of the executive committee. He was also chairman of the ABA’s section on real property, probate and trust law; the first chairman of the Anglo-American Real Property Institute; and the first president of the American College of Real Estate Lawyers, which established an award in his honor. He served in the U.S. Navy during WWII.

Robert K. Mardfin ’39 of Hilton Head Island, S.C., died Oct. 28, 2004. Formerly of Darien, Conn., he was a benefit plans adviser for Exxon Corp. in New York City.

John H. Weaver ’39 of Great Falls, Mont., died July 31, 2004. A member of what is now known as Jardine, Stephenson, Blewett & Weaver in Great Falls for 44 years, he specialized in trial and tax law. For 10 years, he served as managing partner. He served on the Montana Supreme Court Commission on Practice from 1967 to 1979 and was president of the Montana Bar Association. During WWII, he served as a captain in the U.S. Army.

Robert B. Wolf ’39 of Conshohocken, Pa., died March 25, 2005. He was a senior partner at Wolf, Block, Schorr & Solis-Cohen in Philadelphia and an advocate for juvenile justice. In the 1960s, he served as chairman of the Pennsylvania Committee on Crime and Delinquency, and he later was head of a Philadelphia Bar Association committee to develop a program to pay for legal representation for juveniles. In 1984, he was appointed a special master for the Youth Study Center in Philadelphia. He was director of the Greater Philadelphia Movement, which spearheaded political reform in the city, and was counsel to the Federal Housing Administration. In 1989, he received the Fidelity Award from the Philadelphia Bar Association for his pro bono contributions to the city’s justice system. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Army, and in 1945, he was assigned to the staff of the chief U.S. prosecutor for the Nuremberg war crimes trials.


Albert H. Hoopes ’40 of Bloomington, Ill., died Sept. 29, 2004. For more than 55 years, he practiced law in Bloomington. He was a director of State Farm Insurance Mutual Funds and Hoopes Enterprises.

Henry W. Lewis ’40 of Chapel Hill, N.C., died Dec. 19, 2004. A professor of public law and government at the Institute of Government at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, he joined the faculty there in 1946. He served as the institute’s assistant director for 27 years and was acting vice president of the university during the late 1960s. He was active in the Episcopal Church, and in 1951, he wrote a book about the history of the Anglican Church in Northampton County. He served in the U.S. Army during WWII.

John C. Lovett ’40 of Benton, Ky., died Sept. 6, 2004. A longtime Benton attorney, he was a circuit court and special appellate judge and a partner at Lovett, Johnson & Mattingly. Earlier in his career, he worked for the FBI and as principal trial attorney with the Tennessee Valley Authority in Knoxville. He was a director of the Bank of Benton. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Army as a staff sergeant in Georgia.

George W. Singiser ’40 of Troy, N.Y., died Jan. 28, 2005. A general practice attorney in Troy, he worked at two different firms before founding his own practice in the late 1940s. He went on to specialize in real estate and probate law. He served as trustee, president and counsel of the Rensselaer County Historical Society. In 1991, he was awarded a 50-Year Award from the New York State Bar Association. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Army Air Forces.

Robert D. Crassweller ’41 of Chapel Hill, N.C., died July 18, 2004. An author and expert on Latin America, he was general counsel for ITT Latin America. He was counsel for Pan American World Airways from 1954 to 1966. A visiting fellow on the Council on Foreign Relations in New York City, he also was a visiting professor at Sarah Lawrence College and Brooklyn College. He wrote three books, including “Trujillo: The Life and Times of a Caribbean Dictator.” He reviewed books for The New York Times and for Foreign Affairs, the magazine of the Council on Foreign Relations. During WWII, he worked for the U.S. State Department’s Division of World Trade Intelligence.

Robert L. Foote ’41 of Bellingham, Wash., died March 5, 2005. Formerly of Evanston, Ill., he was a senior partner at Sidley & Austin in Chicago. During WWII, he served as a lieutenant in the U.S. Navy.

Robert G. Moch ’41 of Issaquah, Wash., died Jan. 18, 2005. For 55 years, he was an attorney in Seattle. He was coxswain of the University of Washington crew team that defeated Italy and Germany to win the gold medal at the 1936 Summer Olympics in Berlin. While attending HLS, he coached crew at MIT, and he later served as a rowing steward for the University of Washington for many years.

Stanley M. Epstein ’42 of Wayland, Mass., died March 10, 2005. He was a senior partner at Epstein, King & Isselbacher, a firm he founded as Epstein, Salloway and Kaplan in 1965 after working in private practice for 19 years. After closing his firm in 1995, he joined Berlin, Clarey, Axten & Levee as counsel. He was chairman of the United Way of Newton, was a director of local chapters of the American Red Cross and helped establish the first elderly housing complex in Weston.

Humphrey Nash Jr. ’42 of San Antonio died Aug. 5, 2004. He was a businessman and tax attorney. During his career, he practiced law at Ropes & Gray in Boston and was a tax attorney for Aramco.

William D. Tucker Jr. ’42 of Scituate, Mass., died March 7, 2005. He was a senior partner and then senior counsel specializing in corporate law at Davis Polk & Wardwell in New York City and was a director of Chubb Corp.

Ralph J. Balducci ’43 of Fayetteville, N.Y., died March 8, 2005. He was a partner at Love & Balducci in Syracuse. During WWII, he served as a cryptographer in the U.S. Army Signal Corps.

John J. Dwyer ’44 of Shaker Heights, Ohio, died Jan. 21, 2005. For 12 years, he was president and chief executive of Oglebay Norton Co., a mining and lake transportation company in Cleveland, where he had worked since 1946. He briefly worked for Thompson Hine in Cleveland after graduating from HLS and returned to the law firm as a partner after leaving Oglebay Norton. He served as chairman of the Greater Cleveland Growth Association in the early 1980s, head of the distribution committee of the Cleveland Foundation and founding chairman of the Cleveland Education Fund, as well as in executive positions for a number of nonprofit organizations. He was also a trustee of Notre Dame College and DePauw University in Indiana.

Edward L. Fix ’45-’46 of Pacific Palisades, Calif., died March 14, 2004.

Albert L. Goldman ’46 of Lexington, Mass., died Dec. 29, 2004. During his 56-year legal career, he was an advocate for the labor movement and an authority on advising all phases of a union’s activities. He joined the law firm now known as Angoff, Goldman, Manning, Pyle, Wanger & Hiatt in Boston in 1948 and went on to become its president. He advocated for the teachers’ union during the Boston school busing controversy in the 1970s and pioneered the establishment of employee health and welfare benefit funds in Massachusetts. He served in the Naval Aviation Service, where he flew on dirigibles and worked as a cryptographer.

William M. Higgins Jr. ’46 of South Yarmouth, Mass., died Nov. 16, 2004.

Herbert F. Schmelzer ’46 of New York City died Nov. 10, 2004.

I. Murchison Biggs ’46-’47 of Lumberton, N.C., died Feb. 25, 2005. For more than 50 years, he practiced law in Lumberton. He was also a businessman and helped build Biggs Park Mall and K.M. Biggs Inc., and he served as president and chairman of both businesses. He was an attorney for Robeson Community College for 30 years and for the Robeson County Board of Education for 13 years. He also served as city attorney for Lumberton. In 1990, he was inducted into the North Carolina Bar Association’s General Practice Hall of Fame.

Samuel M. Fahr ’47 of Iowa City, Iowa, died Aug. 28, 2004. A professor of law at the University of Iowa, he also taught at the University of Pennsylvania, at the University of Minnesota, and in Peru, France and England. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Navy as a submariner in the South Pacific.

Irvin M. Kent ’47 of Greenwood Village, Colo., died March 13, 2005. A career military officer in the U.S. Army, he retired as a colonel in 1971. He later went into private practice and served as president of the Aurora Bar Association in Colorado. During his career, he served as a civilian attorney for the Nuremberg war crimes trials in Germany and as a judge advocate during the Vietnam War, presiding over military tribunals in the Saigon region. He also served as a legal officer for Operation Mercy, helping Hungarian refugees arrive in the U.S. in the late 1950s. He earned two Purple Hearts and the Bronze Star with an oak leaf cluster for his military service during WWII.

Clinton A. Reynolds ’47 of Riverside, Conn., died March 11, 2005.

James F. Bell ’48 of Washington, D.C., died Feb. 6, 2005. He was a partner practicing administrative and banking/finance law at Jones, Day, Reavis & Pogue in Washington, D.C. After retiring, he worked for the Board of Hospice of D.C. and for Bread for the City.

Gerald Bouvier ’48 of Bradenton, Fla., died Dec. 27, 2004. Formerly of Orchard Park, N.Y., he was a partner at Bouvier O’Connor Cegielski & Levine in Buffalo, where he specialized in litigation.

Albion W. Fenderson ’48 of Wadsworth, Ill., died March 19, 2004. He was senior vice president and general counsel of the Federal Home Loan Bank of Chicago. He later joined Hopkins & Sutter, where he became a partner in 1981. Earlier in his career, he was a trial attorney with the U.S. Department of Justice Office of Alien Property and the Federal Home Loan Bank Board. He was a director and later president of Neighborhood Housing Services of Chicago. He served as an aerial photographer in the U.S. Army Air Forces during WWII.

Joseph H. Gainer Jr. ’48 of Wilmington, N.C., died Dec. 27, 2004. Formerly of Potomac, Md., he was acting general counsel of the Export-Import Bank of the U.S. in Washington, D.C.

James L. Guest ’48 of Houston died Feb. 13, 2005. He worked for Statesman National Life Insurance Co. in Houston.

Wilfred G. Howland ’48 of Tampa, Fla., died March 31, 2005.

Fiorenzo V. Lopardo ’48 of Escondido, Calif., died Jan. 24, 2004. He was a superior court judge for the state of California, appointed in 1971 by then Gov. Ronald Reagan. He was instrumental in developing the North County Law Library in Vista. After retiring from the bench in 1987, he worked as a private judge, specializing in settling complex civil cases. Earlier in his career, he practiced law in Los Angeles and was president of the Escondido Union School District. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Marine Corps and was the commanding officer of Headquarters and Service Company, 3rd Battalion 38th Marines, 5th Division.

John Clancy Mullen ’48 of Houston died March 19, 2005. He served in various public offices and owned his own law practice in Alice, Texas, for many years. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Army Air Forces.

Walter P. Muther ’48 of Newton, Mass., died March 9, 2005. He was general counsel and president of Associated Industries of Massachusetts and served as a lobbyist on Beacon Hill in Boston for 37 years. During the 1960s and 1970s, he led successful fights against measures for a graduated state income tax and for a flat electricity rate. He also championed an amendment to the state constitution allowing cities and towns to offer incentives for industrial development. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Army.

Royal S. Radin ’48 of Staten Island, N.Y., died Nov. 8, 2004. He was a judicial hearing officer for the New York State Supreme Court and president of the Staten Island Institute of Arts & Sciences.

Herbert R. Winick ’48 of Woodmere, N.Y., died Jan. 2, 2005. A CPA and solo practitioner, he was president and budget director of Congregation Sons of Israel. During WWII, he served as a lieutenant in the U.S. Army.

Norman E. Anderson ’49 of Portland, Ore., died Jan. 19, 2005. A longtime Portland attorney, he practiced estate planning, probate and tax law. He was president of the Portland Golf Club and served in the U.S. Navy during WWII.

Boce William Barlow Jr. ’49 of Silver Spring, Md., died Jan. 31, 2005. Formerly of Hartford, Conn., he was a Connecticut judge and state senator. In 1957, he became the first black judge in Connecticut history, and in 1966, he was the first black person elected to the state Senate. He later went into private practice, retiring in 1981. In 1987, the city of Hartford named a street in his honor. He served in the U.S. Army in the southeast Pacific during WWII.

George A. Bender ’49 of Washington Depot, Conn., died Nov. 14, 2004. A real estate broker, he was associated with the DeVoe Realty Co. in New Milford, Conn., and later with Auchincloss & Silk Real Estate in Washington Depot. Formerly of Bronxville, N.Y., for 10 years he was president of Texaco Ventures, a real estate subsidiary of Texaco. He had been with Texaco since 1950, practicing law in Chicago and New York. He served as chairman of the Planning Commission for the Town of Washington, Conn., and was named “Town Volunteer of the Year” in 2003. He was also a trustee and finance committee chairman of the Washington Art Association. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Army, attaining the rank of captain.

Arthur H. Gemmer ’49 of York, Pa., died Aug. 12, 2004. An attorney in Indianapolis, he practiced general and appellate law and served as deputy prosecutor for Marion County and as deputy attorney general for the state of Indiana. He was secretary of the Indiana State Bar Association and a member of the Indianapolis chapter of the Junior Chamber of Commerce, where he was instrumental in establishing the Indianapolis Zoo.

Gabriel B. Schwartz ’49 of New York City died Oct. 12, 2004. He was a litigation partner at Hahn & Hessen in New York City.

Maurice Shire ’49 of Mount Vernon, N.Y., died Aug. 28, 2004. For more than 40 years, he practiced law in New York City. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Army Air Forces and was stationed in the Pacific.


James F. Fallon Jr. ’50 of Hampton, N.H., died Feb. 15, 2005. He practiced law with McWalter and McWalter in Concord, Mass. After retiring in the early 1960s, he moved to Hampton and managed his family’s drugstore. He was a Hampton selectman and served on the town’s municipal budget committee. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Army’s 32nd Red Arrow Division and was stationed in New Guinea, Australia and Japan.

Hans A. Adler ’51 of McLean, Va., died Jan. 29, 2005. He was a senior economist at the World Bank and an expert on the economics of transportation issues. He joined the World Bank’s International Bank for Reconstruction and Development in 1961. Earlier in his career, he was an economist in the Office of Management and Budget in Washington, D.C., assisting the counsel on tariff and trade policy during the Kennedy administration. He also worked with the Federal Reserve Bank of New York and was part of the U.S. Strategic Bombing Survey, studying the effect of Allied bombing on the German aircraft industry. After retiring in 1986, he served as a consultant to Poland’s minister of finance and taught economics at George Mason University. He served in the U.S. Army Air Forces in Berlin from 1946 to 1948 and helped reorganize Germany’s banking system.

Norman Alberts ’51 of New York City died June 2, 2004.

Richard Denton ’51 of Elmira, N.Y., died Jan. 17, 2004. He practiced real property law as a partner at Denton Keyser LaBrecque & Moore in Elmira.

Charles E. Grodberg ’51 of Bayonne, N.J., died Nov. 2, 2004. He was an attorney and real estate broker in New Jersey.

Ernest London ’51 of Jupiter, Fla., died Aug. 11, 2004.

Robert E. Mertz ’51 of Pittsburgh died Dec. 17, 2004. A longtime Pittsburgh attorney, he was a partner at Buchanan Ingersoll and an attorney for Westinghouse Air Brake Corp. He also served as vice president, general counsel and secretary of the Dravo Corp. He worked in the U.S. Air Force General Counsel’s Office in the early 1950s.

Robert M. Shea ’51 of Wellesley, Mass., died Feb. 22, 2005. Formerly of Brookline, Mass., he was vice president and counsel of John Hancock Mutual Life Insurance Co. After retiring in 1984, he continued to work as a consultant to the company. He wrote a number of legal papers for the Association of Life Insurance Counsel and the American Life Convention and was a trustee of Labouré College in Dorchester. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Army and participated in campaigns in Normandy and northern France. He was awarded the Bronze Star.

John L. Globensky LL.M. ’52 of St. Joseph, Mich., died Jan. 8, 2005. For 50 years, he practiced law at Globensky, Gleiss, Bittner & Hyrns in St. Joseph. He was president of the Berrien County Bar Association, a director of the Twin Cities Chamber of Commerce and Shoreline Bank, and a trustee of the Lakeland Hospital Foundation.

Sheldon M. Goodman ’52 of Eastchester, N.Y., died Oct. 26, 2004. A longtime Eastchester attorney, he focused his practice on estate planning/probate, real estate and elder law. He served in the U.S. Army.

Benjamin T. Richards Jr. ’53 of Darien, Conn., died Jan. 16, 2005. He joined Exxon Corp. in 1963 and was on the company’s legal staff for 29 years, retiring as assistant general counsel in 1992. Earlier in his career, he was an attorney in New York City and an assistant U.S. attorney for the Southern District of New York.

David J. Caliri ’54 of Southern Pines, N.C., died Dec. 28, 2004. He served on the Heritage Book Committee of Moore County, N.C., and wrote “The Pine and the Thistle: Two Hundred Years, Bethesda Presbyterian Church.”

Ivan A. Hirsch ’56 of Fairfield, Conn., died July 8, 2004. He was a founding partner of Hirsch and Levy and a member of the Citizens Advisory Council for Housing Affairs.

William E. Wiggin ’56 of Wilmington, Del., died Aug. 13, 2004. He was of counsel at Richards, Layton & Finger in Wilmington.

Robert H. Janover ’57 of Bloomfield Hills, Mich., died Jan. 7, 2005. A solo practitioner and corporate lawyer, beginning in the 1970s, he focused his practice on litigation. During his career, he practiced law in New York, Bloomfield Hills, and Washington, D.C. He wrote an account of his life in “Book of Our History.”

Benito M. Lopez Jr. ’57 of Alexandria, Va., died Jan. 21, 2005. For more than 30 years, he practiced law as a partner at Dewey Ballantine in New York City. He later served as vice president of Iona College in New Rochelle, N.Y., and executive director of the Association of Colleges and Universities.

Sidney H. Schneck ’57 of Chappaqua, N.Y., died July 7, 2004. For 25 years, he was vice president of Citibank’s estate and trust business. He was head of several state and national estate administration organizations, and in 1984, he helped draft a fiduciary responsibility law for New York state.

Edward S. Godfrey ’57-’58 of Portland, Maine, died Jan. 12, 2005. He was dean emeritus of the University of Maine School of Law and a justice of the Maine Supreme Judicial Court from 1976 to 1983. Earlier in his career, he was a professor at Albany Law School for almost 15 years, and in the 1950s, he served as a consultant to the New York State Law Revision Commission, preparing a study of the Uniform Commercial Code before its adoption in New York. After retiring from the court in 1983, he taught as a visiting professor at the University of New Mexico in Albuquerque and as an adjunct professor at the University of Maine. He served on several boards, including as chairman of the Maine Labor Relations Board. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Army, and in 1946, he was a management control officer in General MacArthur’s headquarters in Manila. He was awarded the Bronze Star and attained the rank of major.

Robert H. Binder ’58 of Jacksonville, Fla., died April 1, 2004. Formerly of Washington, D.C., he was a transportation attorney and president of the Transportation Association of America in Jacksonville. He was appointed assistant secretary of transportation by President Ford. He served in the U.S. Army in Japan, Korea and Honolulu.

Hugh Cannon ’58 of Charleston, S.C., died Jan. 4, 2005. A practicing attorney in South Carolina, North Carolina and the District of Columbia, he was vice president and general counsel for Palmetto Ford and of counsel at Everett, Gaskins, Hancock & Stevens in Raleigh, N.C. He served as assistant to the governor, secretary of administration and state budget officer of the state of North Carolina. He was a member of the University of North Carolina board of governors, a trustee of Davidson College and the North Carolina School of the Arts, and vice chairman of the Charleston County School Board. A professional parliamentarian beginning in 1965, he wrote “Cannon’s Concise Guide to Rules of Order,” a handbook on parliamentary procedure. He was the parliamentarian for the National Democratic Party and its national conventions from 1976 to 1996, and for the National Education Association and a number of its state affiliates.

Richard Khachian ’58 of Fairfield, Conn., died Jan. 11, 2005. He was a general practitioner before founding an automobile dealership, RiTar Ford, in Norwalk, Conn. A dealer for 37 years, he sold his business in 2000 and went on to manage a family-owned real estate business.

William D. Coakley ’58-’59 of Londonderry, N.H., died Sept. 1, 2004. He had a career in banking and served in executive positions in banks in Greater Boston and elsewhere in Massachusetts. A longtime resident of Westford, Mass., he promoted the construction of affordable housing, and in January, an affordable housing complex being constructed there was named in his memory. He served in the U.S. Navy.

John C. Hardin ’58-’59 of Wilmette, Ill., died May 31, 2004.

Edward R. Schwartz ’59 of Livingston, N.J., died Oct. 13, 2004. He was a judge of the Superior Court of New Jersey. He also was president of Schwartz & Andolino in Newark and then Livingston, where he focused his practice on litigation, products liability, insurance, admiralty and aircraft litigation.

Sanford B. Gabin ’59-’61 of Yardley, Pa., died Nov. 27, 2004.


Grady Avant Jr. ’60 of Birmingham, Ala., died June 2, 2004. Formerly of Grosse Pointe, Mich., he was senior vice president of North American Capital Advisors. Earlier in his career, he practiced law in Birmingham with Bradley, Arant, Rose & White, and in Detroit with Dickinson, Wright, Moon, Van Dusen & Freeman. He was a captain in the U.S. Marine Corps.

Ivan L. Head LL.M. ’60 of West Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, died Nov. 1, 2004. A law professor and foreign policy adviser, he was a senior policy adviser to Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau from 1968 to 1978. With Trudeau, he co-wrote “The Canadian Way: Shaping Canada’s Foreign Policy 1968-1984.” He later served as president of Canada’s International Development Research Centre and head of the Canadian International Development Agency. In 1991, he joined the faculty at the University of British Columbia, and he was the founding director of the university’s Liu Institute for Global Issues. Earlier in his career, he practiced law in Calgary and was a professor of law at the University of Alberta.

Robert A. Krantz Jr. ’60 of Short Hills, N.J., died Dec. 18, 2004. He was vice president, secretary and general counsel of Kidder, Peabody & Co. He previously worked for Sullivan & Cromwell.

David H. Knutson ’61 of Roxbury, Conn., died Nov. 30, 2004. He practiced corporate and business law as a vice president and senior associate counsel of Chase Manhattan Bank in New York City.

David M. Elwood ’64 of Truro, Mass., died Sept. 28, 2004. He was vice president of the Boston Company Advisors, and for more than 25 years, he worked for Gaston & Snow in Boston, where he had a general corporate securities practice.

Lewis E. Striebeck Jr. ’64 of St. Louis died Dec. 21, 2004. For 34 years, he worked with the Stolar Partnership of St. Louis, where he practiced tax law and served as chairman of the tax department.

David F. Polatsek ’65 of Potomac, Md., died July 7, 2004. He was a senior attorney at the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development in Washington, D.C.

Lee E. Teitelbaum ’66 of Salt Lake City died Sept. 22, 2004. He was a family law scholar and, during his career, served as dean of Cornell University’s and the University of Utah’s law schools. He joined the law faculty at the University of Utah as a visiting professor in 1985 and was dean from 1990 to 1998, before his appointment as dean at Cornell Law School. He began his teaching career at the University of North Dakota and taught at several universities, including Indiana University Bloomington, where he was director of the Center for the Study of Legal Policy Relating to Children. He wrote seven books, including three on juvenile courts and a casebook on family law. He was on the board of editors for the Journal of Legal Education, the Law and Society Review, and Law and Policy.

Edwin N. Sidman ’67 of Boston died March 16, 2005. He was chairman of the Beacon Companies, a development and management firm, and Beacon Properties. Among the Boston-area projects he helped develop were Rowes Wharf, One Post Office Square and 75 State Street, as well as thousands of units of affordable housing. Prior to joining the Beacon Companies in 1971, he practiced law in Boston. He was chairman of the Combined Jewish Philanthropies of Greater Boston.

Jeffrey M. Smith ’69 of Newton, Mass., died Jan. 25, 2005. He practiced law for 25 years, representing a number of health care providers. He also developed and taught courses on pharmaceutical and health care law for medical professionals. In 1998, he founded his own firm. He was an officer or board member of a number of nonprofit organizations, including the American Diabetes Association and the John Winthrop School.


George N. Corey ’73 of Columbus, Ohio, died Feb. 25, 2005. A tax attorney, he was a partner at Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease in Columbus. He was a trustee of the Ronald McDonald House, Columbus Foundation, Catholic Foundation and Columbus Academy, where he also served as president.

Alden D. Holford ’73 of Houston died Sept. 7, 2004. He was a solo practitioner in Houston, where he practiced litigation.

Charles L. “Chuck” Potuznik ’73 of Excelsior, Minn., died March 22, 2005. He was a partner in the corporate group at Dorsey & Whitney in Minneapolis, where he practiced securities law.

Wayne S. Braveman ’78 of Los Angeles died Nov. 14, 2004. He was of counsel at Heller Ehrman White & McAuliffe in Los Angeles. Earlier in his career, he was senior vice president and director of legal research of the Legal Research Network and a litigation partner at Tuttle & Taylor in Los Angeles.


Michelle K. Wardlaw ’85 of New York City and Oahu, Hawaii, died July 26, 2004. She worked as a Japanese interpreter and was involved with many arts and cultural institutions in New York.

Arata Fujii LL.M. ’86 of Tokyo died Jan. 25, 2005. An official of Japan’s Foreign Ministry, he was chief of the Northeast Asia division and was in charge of North Korean affairs during the first round of six-way talks held in Beijing last August. He joined the ministry in 1982 and served as an envoy at the embassy in the Philippines and the Japanese mission to the United Nations.


Elisabeth M. Todaro ’97 of Boston died Feb. 2, 2005. She was a senior associate in the business law department at Goodwin Procter in Boston. She joined the firm in 1997 and handled a number of important mergers and acquisitions for many of the firm’s public company clients. She was a volunteer on the 2004 Kerry-Edwards presidential campaign.