1920-29 | 1930-39 | 1940-49 | 1950-59 | 1960-69 | 1970-79 | 1980-89 | 1990-99


William V. Kelley Jr. ’25-’26 of Spokane, Wash., died Aug. 21, 2002. He practiced insurance defense and business litigation for more than 40 years. In 1976, he retired from Witherspoon, Kelley, Davenport & Toole in Spokane, but he continued to go to his office every day until a few years ago. In the 1940s, he was a professor at Gonzaga University School of Law, and he served on the law school’s council in the 1970s. In 1999, a reading room in the university’s new law school building was dedicated in his honor.

Walter L. Shafer ’27-’29 of Lafayette, Ind., died March 7, 2003. He worked for a central Illinois company affiliated with Dawes Bank.

Marvin Bower ’28 of Delray Beach, Fla., died Jan. 22, 2003. He helped transform McKinsey & Co. from a small engineering and accounting firm in the 1930s into a management consulting firm that today advises 100 of the top 150 global companies. He is credited with setting the standard for the modern management consulting industry. After graduating from Harvard Business School in 1930, he joined Jones, Day, Reavis & Pogue in Cleveland, serving as secretary of a number of committees of the bondholders of troubled companies. He joined McKinsey & Co. in 1933, taking over the New York office of the firm in 1937 after James O. McKinsey’s death. From 1950 to 1967, he was managing director. He served clients until the late 1980s and continued to serve as counselor to the firm until his death.

Robert G. Wilson ’28 of Los Gatos, Calif., died March 1, 2002.

A. Gilmore Flues ’29 of Chevy Chase, Md., died March 1, 2003. He was assistant secretary of the U.S. Department of the Treasury in the Eisenhower administration. He returned to private practice in 1962 as a specialist in foreign trade matters and later worked for Leonard, Clammer, Flues & Redmon in Washington, D.C. He was a member of the advisory committee of the U.S. Coast Guard Academy. At 97, he published his first book of poetry, “Another Road, Another Time.” During WWII, he was a captain in the U.S. Army Air Forces, where he was a liaison officer with the British forces in the Middle East. He later commanded the Office of Strategic Services in central Europe, retiring from the U.S. Army Reserve in 1963 with the rank of colonel.

James E. Newton ’29 of Seattle died Jan. 16, 2003. He was counsel at Davis, Wright, Todd, Reise and Jones for 15 years, retiring in 1988. He previously worked for 37 years for the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission in Seattle, beginning in 1937. For 24 years, he served as the SEC’s regional administrator, helping write an Alaska securities act after the territory became a state in 1959 and helping redraft state laws in Montana and Idaho.


Jacob E. Davis ’30 of Cincinnati died Feb. 28, 2003. He was of counsel at Vorys, Sater, Seymour & Pease and an executive at the Kroger Co., joining the company in 1944 as vice president and serving as president from 1962 to 1970. He was a member of the House of Representatives from 1941 to 1943, a special assistant to the secretary of the Navy and an assistant general counsel of the U.S. Department of the Navy. Earlier in his career, he served two terms as Pike County prosecuting attorney and was twice elected to the Ohio General Assembly, serving as majority floor leader of the House until he became judge of the Pike County Court of Common Pleas in 1937. He served on many corporate and civic boards. The governing board of the Greater Cincinnati Foundation created the Jacob E. Davis Volunteer Leadership Award in his honor.

Sheldon J. Kahn ’30 of Bloomfield, Conn., died June 20, 2002. He was of counsel at Gilman & Marks in Hartford.

Robert F. Spindell ’30 of Kenilworth, Ill., died Feb. 18, 2003. A federal tax attorney in Chicago for almost 60 years, he was President Nixon’s principal adviser on tax legislation from 1958 to 1960. In 1949, he founded what became the law firm of Spindell, Kemp & Kimmons, having previously worked at West & Eckhart in Chicago. For almost 50 years, he wrote the Tax Newsletter. He was a founding member of the Republican Senatorial Inner Circle and a director of the United Republican Fund of Illinois. For 34 years, he was general counsel for the Art Institute of Chicago, and he assisted in the evolution of the Lyric Opera of Chicago.

George B.P. Ward ’31 of Owings Mills, Md., died Jan. 20, 2003. A lawyer and a state delegate, he practiced probate and real estate law and was counsel to several banks and building and loan associations. From 1934 to 1938, he represented Baltimore County in the Maryland House of Delegates. He was a life member of the Owings Mills Volunteer Fire Co. and served as its treasurer for over 20 years.

Edward E. Aim ’31-’32 of White Plains, N.Y., died Dec. 23, 2002.

Norman Rand ’31-’32 of Plantation, Fla., died Aug. 7, 2002.

Milton G. Wheeler ’32-’35 of Portland, Maine, died Feb. 6, 2003. During his career, he served as an Office of Personnel Management administrator, a director of price stabilization, assistant regional counsel of U.S. Housing and Finance, and counsel and district director of the Small Business Administration in Augusta, Maine.

Joseph M. Corwin ’33 of Newton, Mass., died Dec. 18, 2002. He was a founding partner of Corwin & Corwin in Boston, specializing in construction law and litigation, and counsel to the Associated Subcontractors of Massachusetts. During his legal career, he worked for the Public Housing Administration in Boston and in various federal government positions in Washington, D.C.

Oscar Fendler ’33 of Blytheville, Ark., died Dec. 23, 2002. An attorney for almost 70 years, he was a sole practitioner and winner of the Founders Award from the ABA’s general practice section in 1992. He was a fellow of the American and Arkansas bar foundations. A member of the Arkansas Bar Association since 1933, he served as its president in 1962 and 1963 and received its Lawyer-Citizen Award for 1973-1974. He was also a fellow of the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel and director of the American Judicature Society. He served as a temporary associate justice of the Arkansas Supreme Court in 1964 and was appointed to the Arkansas Board of Pardons and Paroles, where he served for three years. In 1939, he was commissioned a lieutenant junior grade in the U.S. Naval Reserve, and he served in the U.S. Navy from 1942 to 1946, receiving the Bronze Star.

Ernest Hillman Jr. ’33-’34 of Fairfield, Conn., died Nov. 20, 2002. He was a businessman, patron of the arts and author. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Navy.

Jerome S. Bischoff ’34 of Portland, Ore., died Aug. 23, 2002. An attorney with Martin, Bischoff, Templeton, Langslet & Hoffman since 1968, he maintained a general practice emphasizing tax, estate planning and probate, and timber transactions. Earlier in his career, he practiced law with his father for many years.

John S. Mason ’34 of Pittsburgh died Dec. 11, 2002. He was general counsel for Dravo Corp. in Pittsburgh, retiring in 1973. After law school, he served as a law clerk for the Pennsylvania Supreme Court, and he was a 1953 graduate of Harvard Business School.

Edward B. Cass ’35 of Palm City, Fla., died Jan. 31, 2003. Formerly of St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands, and Lexington, Mass., he practiced part time for 22 years at Learned and Mahan in St. Thomas, having arrived on the island in 1972 after sailing with his wife for a year. He had been in private practice in Boston for over 20 years and had previously worked for Nutter McClennen & Fish there. He was active in the St. Thomas/St. John Navy League, the Orchid Society and the St. Thomas Shooters Association, where he taught archery. From 1943 to 1945, he was an intelligence officer in the U.S. Navy, stationed in Alaska.

Ruben A. Dankoff ’35 of Tenafly, N.J., died March 9, 2003. He practiced law for more than 20 years and then had a career in the bowling industry, serving as longtime president of General Bowling Corp. In 1990, he received the Victor Lerner Memorial Medal, the highest award offered by the Bowling Proprietors’ Association of America, where he had served as membership and legislative chairman. In 2001, the association created a public policy award in his honor. He helped found the Hillel School in Rochester, N.Y., and was a lifetime board member and president of the Jewish Home of Rochester.

George H. Foley ’35 of Sudbury, Mass., died Nov. 21, 2002. He was a senior partner at Hale and Dorr in Boston. He also taught at the Harvard Institute for Learning in Retirement in Cambridge and at Fairbanks Senior Center in Sudbury.

James Keith ’35 of Fairfax City, Va., died Nov. 26, 2002. He was a judge for Fairfax County Circuit Court from 1967 to 1979 and chairman of the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors from 1956 to 1962. He joined Barbour, Garnett and Pickett in Fairfax in 1935, and practiced with the firm, which was later renamed Barbour, Garnett, Pickett and Keith, for over 30 years. In 1990, the ABA awarded him its Pro Bono Award, and in 1995, he received the Lewis Powell Pro Bono Award from the Virginia State Bar for his work with the Legal Aid Society. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Army with the Military Intelligence Service.

Charles S. Maddock ’35 of Wilmington, Del., died Oct. 6, 2002. He was counsel at Cooch and Taylor in Wilmington for 20 years. From 1943 to 1976, he worked at Hercules Inc., where he became general counsel in 1955 and a director in 1971. He was founder and first president of the Association of General Counsel. In 1968, he was awarded the George Washington Medal by the Freedoms Foundation. A member of a number of civic organizations, he also authored articles for the Harvard Business Review, the American Bar Association Journal and The Business Lawyer, and he was coordinating author for the corporation law department section of “The Delaware Bar in the Twentieth Century.” Early in his career, he practiced at Gaston, Snow, Saltonstall and Hunt in Boston.

George M. St. Peter ’35 of Fond du Lac, Wis., died Feb. 4, 2003. He was of counsel at Edgarton, St. Peter, Petak, Massey & Bullon in Fond du Lac. In private practice for over 55 years, he was an expert in agricultural cooperatives, particularly in the formation and operation of dairy cooperatives. He was also a district attorney and circuit court judge, resigning his judgeship to enlist in the U.S. Army during WWII. He served on many civic boards and on committees for the State Bar of Wisconsin and the ABA.

Milton O. Talent ’35 of St. Louis died Oct. 27, 2002. He was a labor-management attorney, a Des Peres, Mo., alderman and father of U.S. Sen. Jim Talent. In 1952, he started the law firm that became Moller, Talent, Kuelthau & Welch, specializing in labor relations and employment law. In 1988, the firm merged into Lashly, Baer & Hamel. He was appointed to the Missouri Board of Mediation by former Gov. John Ashcroft to handle worker disputes. Earlier in his career, he was a staff attorney for the National Labor Relations Board. He joined the U.S. Navy after the attack on Pearl Harbor and served during WWII.

Robert Engel ’35-’36 of Pittsburgh died Dec. 12, 2002. He was a founding partner of Berkman, Ruslander, Pohl, Lieber and Engel, which later became Klett Rooney Lieber & Schorling. He primarily practiced civil and corporate litigation and served as counsel for the Pittsburgh Steelers, among others. He enjoyed cooking and had some of his recipes published in local papers. Active in a number of organizations, including the Allegheny County Board of Health, Hill House Association and Life’s Work of Western Pennsylvania, he was also chapter chairman of the American Jewish Committee and a master of the Masonic Order. He was a lieutenant colonel in the U.S. Army Air Corps.

Warren L. Sharfman ’36 of Washington, D.C., died Aug. 25, 2002.

Daniel I. Taradash ’36 of Beverly Hills, Calif., died Feb. 22, 2003. He was the Oscar-winning screenwriter of “From Here to Eternity.” He had many writing film credits, and in 1956, he directed “Storm Center,” starring Bette Davis. He was president of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences and served on its board of governors. He held numerous leadership and committee posts with the Writers Guild, including president of the Writers Guild of America West from 1977 to 1979. He served in the U.S. Army Signal Corps, writing training and morale-building films.

Harold R. Woodard ’36 of Indianapolis died Jan. 26, 2003. A patent attorney, he was the senior partner at Woodard, Emhardt, Moriarty, McNett & Henry and a lecturer for over 25 years at Indiana University School of Law-Indianapolis. In 1983, the Hal Woodard Barristers’ Room at the law school’s library was named in his honor. He was named a Sagamore of the Wabash, the highest honor awarded by the governor for distinguished service to the state, and he was also honored by the International Trademark Association. He was also a director of the Indianapolis Bar Association and president of the Columbia Club of Indianapolis. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Navy.

Robert M. Campbell ’37 of Ann Arbor, Mich., died Oct. 1, 2002. He was an attorney for the Ford Motor Co. and later taught at Washington and Lee University School of Law in Virginia. He began his legal career at Hughes, Hubbard and Ewing in New York City. During WWII, he was a lieutenant commander in the U.S. Navy and served on the USS Wasp.

Theodore Chase ’37 of Dover, Mass., died Jan. 20, 2003. He was a partner at Palmer & Dodge in Boston, where he practiced for 40 years, and was president of the council of the Boston Bar Association from 1965 to 1987. A genealogy scholar, he was director of the Association for Gravestone Studies, a trustee and president of the New England Historic Genealogical Society and the author of several studies on gravestones. He was a leader in many community organizations, serving as chairman of the Dover Board of Selectmen and town counsel, and he was also director of State Street Boston Financial Corp. and State Street Bank and Trust Co. During WWII, he attained the rank of lieutenant commander in the U.S. Navy, serving in the Office of General Counsel in Washington, D.C.

Jerome Daniel Goodman ’37 of Brookline, Mass., died Jan. 15, 2003. He practiced law in Boston, forming Goodman & Goodman in Wellesley in 1977 with his daughter. He served as a town meeting member in Brookline and was a member of the town advisory committee and the Republican Town Committee. A commander of the American Legion Post in Brookline and his Jewish War Veterans post, he was also a president of the Jewish Big Brother Association. He was chairman of his 60th HLS reunion, and with the exception of his years in the U.S. Army, he attended Harvard’s Commencement every June. During WWII, he served in the office of the judge advocate.

Norman P. Jones ’37 of Springfield, Ill., died Dec. 2, 2002. A practicing attorney for over 60 years, he was of counsel at Brown, Hay & Stephens. He began his career with Giffin, Winning, Lindner, Newkirk and Jones and later was a partner at Ensel, Jones, Blanchard and Friedman. A fellow of the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel, he was president of the Children’s Service League, the Association of Commerce and Industry, and the Sangamon County Bar Association. He was also a director of Memorial Medical Center.

Dwight Parsons ’37 of Akron, Ohio, died Jan. 1, 2003. A partner at Buckingham, Doolittle & Burroughs, he joined the firm when it was known as Rockwell, Grant, Doolittle, Thomas, and Buckingham. Specializing in corporate and labor law, he focused on the trucking and rubber industries. He was a director of Roadway Express for 25 years and played an influential role in the initial organization and continuing operation of the Galen Rousch Foundation. During WWII, he served as assistant head of the legal division of the Cleveland ordnance district.

Donald W. Smith ’37 LL.M. ’38 of Yonkers, N.Y., died Feb. 2, 2003.

Edward C. Uehlein ’37 of Yarmouthport, Mass., died Jan. 14, 2003. Formerly of Newton, he practiced workers’ compensation law for five decades. He was an alderman in Newton, where he worked to secure more affordable housing in Newton Centre, and president of the Republican Party of Newton. He briefly worked for Travelers Insurance Co. and Liberty Mutual, before starting his own practice in the 1950s. He retired from his firm, Uehlein, Cunningham & Mechanic in Natick, in 1991.

Samuel Laventhal ’37-’38 of New Orleans died June 9, 2002.

Herbert J. Sugden ’37-’38 of Naples, Fla., died Dec. 10, 2002. He was a philanthropist whose contributions benefited many southwest Florida institutions, including Florida Gulf Coast University, Sugden Park in East Naples, the Sugden Community Theatre, Naples Library and Naples Community Hospital. He served on the boards of the Peddie School, University of the Virgin Islands and Naples Community Hospital. Sugden was president of the American Freedom From Hunger Foundation, an organization he helped co-found at President Kennedy’s request. After retiring, he wrote travel articles for Naples Daily News, Gulfshore Life and The Christian Science Monitor. He also wrote “Siege of the St. Lawrence,” which was published in 1948. During WWII, he served as a naval air officer.

Parmelee Dovey ’37-’39 of Haslett, Mich., died Oct. 18, 2002. He was a group labor relations manager for Johnson Controls Inc.

John H. Hallenbeck ’38 of Dunkirk, N.Y., died Jan. 17, 2003.

Seymour J. Rubin ’38 LL.M. ’39 of Washington, D.C., died March 11, 2003. He was general counsel to the Agency for International Development and a professor emeritus at American University’s Washington College of Law, where he began teaching in 1974. For 20 years, he was a member of the Inter-American Juridical Committee of the Organization of American States. He was an executive vice president and executive director of the American Society of International Law and author of three books on foreign investment. During WWII, he was chief counsel in the Office of Price Administration, and from 1943 to 1948, a lawyer with the U.S. Department of State. In May 1946, he negotiated an agreement with the Swiss government for the repayment of $58 million in Nazi-looted gold that had been stored in Swiss banks.

Lenoir C. Wright ’38 of Charlotte, N.C., died March 18, 2003. He earned a doctorate in history from Columbia University and taught Asian history and culture at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro beginning in 1953. He also taught in Iraq and India on grants from the Fulbright Foundation and in 1969 published “United States Policy Toward Egypt, 1830-1914.” He collected Japanese scrolls and prints, which he donated to the university’s Weatherspoon Art Museum. He also served as a life member of the board of the Weatherspoon Gallery Association and the Musical Arts Guild. In recognition of his support of the UNC-Greensboro School of Music, he was made an honorary member of Pi Kappa Lambda, and in 1993, the UNC-Greensboro Symphony gave a concert in his honor. A tennis player, he played in the Intercollegiate Lawn Tennis National Championships in 1931, and in the 1930s, he played in the U.S. Open at Forest Hills. He served as an officer in the U.S. Navy from 1942 to 1946.

Ralph J. Reiman ’39 of Drexel Hill, Pa., died May 24, 2002.

John H. Kimball ’39-’41 of Wenham, Mass., died Dec. 5, 2002. Formerly of Lynnfield, he practiced law there for over 50 years, with two of his children joining him in practice in the family firm of Kimball & Kimball. Early in his career, he worked for Sherburne, Powers and Needham in Boston. He served as clerk of the Lynnfield Center Water District and was Lynnfield town moderator for 12 years. He was on the boards of Shawmut Bank and P.K. Guillow Co. A founding member of the Rotary Club of Lynnfield, he was also president of the Wakefield Rotary Club. He composed music, including musical scores for two Lynnfield Spotlighters productions and a town song for Lynnfield’s bicentennial celebration.


George M. Cohen ’40 of Longmeadow, Mass., died Feb. 10, 2002. He was president of Cohen Bros. Inc. in Springfield. In 1998, he received the Frank H. Sellman Distinguished Service Award from the Massachusetts Golf Association, where he served on the executive committee for nearly 20 years. He was a six-time Crestview Country Club champion, winning championships in four different decades beginning in the 1950s. He won his last championship in 1984. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Army in the Philippines, and he remained active in the Army Reserves until 1976.

Philip E. Gordon ’40 of Whiting, N.J., died Dec. 6, 2002.

Richard Inglis Jr. ’40 of Deerfield, Mass., died Jan. 14, 2003. He was a partner at Arter, Hadden, Wykoff & Van Duzer in Cleveland, retiring in 1972. Previously, he was a partner at Hauxhurst, Inglis, Sharp & Cull. He was a longtime member of the Cleveland Bar Association and the Cleveland Skating Club. In his 20s, he was a nationally ranked tennis player. He started running at age 50 and ran in 20 marathons, the last at age 75.

Robert E. Long ’40 of Burlington, N.C., died Feb. 18, 2003. He was in private practice in Burlington since 1952. Earlier in his career, he served as an assistant U.S. attorney in Raleigh and an administrative assistant to Sen. Willis Smith in Washington, D.C. He also practiced law in Roxboro, N.C., where he was mayor from 1947 to 1951. He was a director of Aeroglide Corp. of Raleigh, a founding director and treasurer of the Burlington Day School and president of the Burlington Rotary Club, where he was named a Rotary Paul Harris Fellow. A musician, he was an organist for the First Presbyterian Church and a pianist of the Rotary Club and for the Alamance Jazz Band. He served in the U.S. Army during WWII.

James A. Poore Jr. ’40 of Butte, Mont., died June 18, 2002. An attorney specializing in mining law, he was of counsel at Poore, Roth & Robinson. He was a longtime director, and later secretary, of the Washington Water Power Co., retiring in 1990. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Army as a member of the 724th Railway Operating Battalion and later with the Judge Advocate General’s Corps.

Vincent H. Nork ’40-’41 of New York City died Dec. 20, 2002. He was a vice president of Metropolitan Life Insurance Co. and a naval veteran of WWII and Korea.

Victor A. Altman ’41 of Washington, D.C., died June 29, 2002.

A. William Asmuth Jr. ’41 of Mequon, Wis., died Nov. 8, 2002. He was of counsel at Quarles & Brady in Milwaukee. He previously worked at Whyte and Hirschboeck, where he served as president during the 1980s. He was president of the board of directors of Milwaukee Country Day School, the Harvard Club of Wisconsin and the Chicago Symphony Association of Milwaukee. He served on the Medical College of Wisconsin Advisory Council, the Archdiocesan Resource Development Council, the executive committee of the Performing Arts Center and the board of governors of Mount Mary College. During WWII, he served as legal counsel for the Office of Strategic Services in Washington, D.C.

William Ballantine ’41 of Hot Springs National Park, Ark., died March 6, 2002.

Albert E. Crispell Jr. ’41 of St. Petersburg, Fla., died Feb. 23, 2002.

David E. Feller ’41 of Berkeley, Calif., died Feb. 10, 2003. He was a labor law expert and professor emeritus of the University of California, Berkeley, Boalt Hall School of Law. In the 1950s, he served on an advisory committee that assisted Thurgood Marshall, who was then general counsel for the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, in preparing litigation challenging school segregation. He was general counsel for the United Steelworkers of America, the Industrial Union Department of the AFL-CIO and other labor unions. Earlier in his career, he worked for the U.S. Department of Justice and as a partner at Goldberg, Feller & Bredhoff in Washington, D.C. He served in the U.S. Army, where he earned a Bronze Star.

Todd Hoopes ’41 of Marysville, Ohio, died Jan. 30, 2003. He was a Union County lawyer for over 50 years and mayor of Marysville during the mid-1950s. He was a founding board member of Memorial Hospital of Union County and chairman of the Marysville Salvation Army unit. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Army in a truck regiment of the Quartermaster Corps.

Boris B. Kramer ’41 of Seattle died Dec. 7, 2002. He was an assistant attorney general and an attorney in private practice. He founded the Seattle Home Owners Club in 1959, was a founding member of the East Shore Unitarian Church and served on the board of the Seattle Center Foundation. After retiring, he served as a judicial arbitrator. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Navy on the USS Buckley and received the Bronze Star.

Stuart Z. Krinsly ’41 of New York City died Nov. 15, 2002. He worked for nearly 50 years with the Sequa Corp. in New York City as general counsel. He was credited with being an architect of the strategy that transformed Sequa from a small producer of printing inks to a multinational supplier of jet engine components and other technically advanced products.

Robert F. Magill ’41 of Birmingham, Mich., died April 9, 2003. He was the first General Motors vice president for industry-government relations. He joined the company in 1955 as assistant tax director, and in 1968, after the passage of the Clean Air Act, he was named executive in charge of industry-government relations. Earlier in his career, he was an assistant tax legislative counsel and assistant head of the legal advisory staff at the U.S. Department of the Treasury, where he helped draft the 1954 Internal Revenue Code. A director of many organizations, in 1982 he co-founded and became first chairman of the Detroit Executive Service Corps, which arranges for retired executives to donate time and expertise to nonprofit organizations in southeastern Michigan. The DESC established an annual award in his name. He also received the first Distinguished Alumni Service Award from Indiana University. He was an intelligence officer in the U.S. Navy, attaining the rank of lieutenant commander. He served in the Pacific campaign as a radar officer on the USS Cowpens, whose crew was awarded a Navy Unit Commendation for “outstanding heroism.”

John F. Arneson ’44-’45 of Syracuse, N.Y., died Aug. 30, 2002. A practicing attorney for more than 50 years, he was a member of Mensa, Sons of the American Revolution and Masonic groups, including the Scottish Rite. He served in the Minnesota National Guard.

Lester G. Hoar ’46-’47 of St. John, New Brunswick, Canada, died Feb. 24, 2002. He was a news editor at New Brunswick Publishing Co. Ltd.

Michael K. Tsouprakakis ’46-’48 of Lowell, Mass., died Feb. 12, 2002.

Clarence H. Dicus Jr. ’47 of Leawood, Kan., died Nov. 25, 2002. A lawyer for 48 years, he co-founded Dicus, Davis, Sands & Collins in 1991, retiring in 1995. He had previously worked at Dietrich, Davis, Dicus, Rowlands, Schmitt and Gorman for 34 years. He was a fellow of the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel and president of the Lawyers Association of Kansas City, the Estate Planning Society of Kansas City and the University Club of Kansas City. He enlisted in the U.S. Navy after the bombing of Pearl Harbor, serving mostly in the Pacific theater as an officer in the Supply Corps. He retired as a commander in the U.S. Naval Reserve in 1962.

Peeler Williams Jr. LL.M. ’47 of Waco, Texas, died April 13, 2002. He was a professor at Baylor Law School in Waco and an attorney in private practice. He practiced for 25 years at Sleeper, Burleson, Williams & Johnston, while teaching part time at Baylor. In 1972, he retired from private practice and was appointed a full-time professor, retiring in 1991. He was a member or served on the boards of many civic and cultural institutions. During WWII, he served as a lieutenant junior grade in the U.S. Navy aboard the USS Pittsburgh.

Walter G. Chuck ’48 of Honolulu died Jan. 18, 2003. He was an attorney at Chuck, Jones & MacLaren in Honolulu. He served as clerk of the state House from 1951 to 1953 and Senate from 1960 to 1962. He was an assistant public prosecutor and in private practice, before forming a partnership in 1967. An avid golfer, he was president of the Waialae Country Club.

Paul G. Counihan ’48 of Cambridge, Mass., died Jan. 9, 2003. He was an attorney in private practice in Cambridge. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Army.

Richard B. Ford ’48 of Cary, N.C., died Jan. 19, 2003. He practiced law for over 50 years, serving as deputy commissioner for the North Carolina Industrial Commission for 17 years. Previously, he was a private practitioner in Buncombe County. He was a 32nd degree Scottish Rite Mason and past master of Nichols, West Asheville Lodge No. 650.

David A. Fowler ’48 of Haverford, Pa., died Nov. 1, 2002. A corporate real estate attorney, he worked at Scott Paper; Morgan, Lewis & Bockius; and Atlantic Richfield Co. He helped develop Ardspring Condominiums in Ardmore, a lower-income garden complex. During WWII, he served as a lieutenant.

John Kimball Jr. ’48 of Belvedere Tiburon, Calif., died Nov. 11, 2002. Formerly of Topsfield, Mass., he was a partner at Hale and Dorr in Boston, joining the firm in 1952. He worked on the legal team that helped bring Sen. Joseph McCarthy’s career to an end. He was a town moderator for Topsfield for 28 years and a member of the Historic District Commission and the Topsfield Historical Society. He was in the Marine Corps Reserves, flying as a fighter pilot during WWII and serving again in the Korean War, and earned the Distinguished Flying Cross. He retired from the Reserves in 1964 with the rank of lieutenant colonel.

Harlan Pomeroy II ’48 of Sarasota, Fla., died Feb. 28, 2003. Formerly of Cleveland, he was a foreign legal adviser in central and eastern Europe beginning in 1992. Previously, he was an attorney at Baker and Hostetler for 34 years, working in the firm’s Cleveland and Washington, D.C., offices. He served as an arbitrator and mediator for the American Arbitration Association, the National Association of Securities Dealers and the New York Stock Exchange. He also served as general counsel to the John Glenn presidential committee from 1983 to 1984. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Navy.

Richard Wincor ’48 of New York City died March 14, 2003. He was an intellectual property lawyer who helped develop legal standards for the licensing of characters from literature. A senior counsel at Coudert Brothers, he worked in the firm’s Manhattan and London offices. In the early 1950s, he worked clearing rights for television scripts for early live network shows. The author of “Copyrights in the World Marketplace,” he also wrote a mystery, “Sherlock Holmes in Tibet,” and a book on chess. During WWII, he was in the U.S. Army Signal Corps stationed in Arlington, Va., where he worked to break Japanese military codes.

George M. Chester ’49 of Milwaukee and Scottsdale, Ariz., died March 1, 2003. A longtime partner at Foley & Lardner, where he specialized in corporate law, he served on a number of boards, including those of Firstar, First Wisconsin National Bank, First Wisconsin Trust, the Heil Co. and Northwestern Mutual Life Insurance Co. He was president of T.A. Chapman and Wisconsin Securities Co. of Delaware, remaining a manager when it became Wisconsin Securities Partners. He was president of the Friends of the Milwaukee Public Museum and Milwaukee Country Day School, campaign chairman of the United Way, a board member of Columbia Hospital and a benefactor of the Milwaukee Art Museum. He served as a cavalry officer in Europe during WWII and as an artillery officer during the Korean War.

George D. Dysart ’49 of Portland, Ore., died Nov. 25, 2002. A federal attorney, he helped secure salmon fishing rights for Columbia River tribes. In 1979, he joined the U.S. Department of Justice, having served as assistant regional solicitor for the U.S. Department of the Interior in Portland. Earlier in his career, he was an attorney for the Bonneville Power Administration. He was also president of the City Club in Portland. During WWII, he served as a U.S. Marine in the Pacific.

Richard J. Jennings ’49 of New York City died Nov. 16, 2002. He was a radio and television broadcaster in New York and New Jersey. As a journalist for NBC’s Monitor radio program, he traveled the world, covering Operation Deepfreeze II in Antarctica and accompanying pilot Max Conrad on his trip around the world. In the late 1970s, he began working as a press secretary for the city comptroller, retiring in 1989. In 1960, he apprehended a robber in Manhattan and received a police commendation. During WWII, he was a first lieutenant with the U.S. Army in Japan.

Lee S. Kreindler ’49 of New York City died Feb. 18, 2003. He was a senior partner at Kreindler & Kreindler and one of the world’s top authorities on aviation law. His firm represented plaintiffs in almost every major aircraft disaster over the past five decades, including the families of victims of the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks. He was president and dean of the International Academy of Trial Lawyers, a fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers, chairman of the aviation law section of the Association of Trial Lawyers of America and author of “Aviation Accident Law.” He served in the U.S. Army during WWII.

Louis Paisley ’49 of Shaker Heights, Ohio, died Dec. 29, 2002. A trial attorney, he practiced for 50 years at Weston Hurd Fallon Paisley & Howley in Cleveland, serving on the firm’s management committee for two decades. He was a fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers and president of the Cleveland Bar Association. He co-founded the Task Force on Violent Crime in 1981, now known as the Partnership for a Safer Cleveland, was president of the Cleveland Mental Health Association, and served on many civic boards and organizations.

Miles Warner ’49 of Chadds Ford, Pa., died Dec. 10, 2002. An attorney in private practice, he represented small water companies and clients he felt were victims of injustice or discrimination. Earlier in his career, he worked in a public defender’s office and was on the legal staff of the Pennsylvania Public Utility Commission. For nearly 50 years, he was a Democratic committeeman in Republican-controlled Delaware County. He served in the U.S. Navy during WWII and later served in the U.S. Merchant Marine.


Philip H. Gerrish ’50-’51 of Old Orchard Beach, Maine, died July 22, 2002.

Max O. Cogburn LL.M. ’51 of Asheville, N.C., died Dec. 21, 2002. A practicing attorney in western North Carolina for more than 50 years, he was a partner at Cogburn Goosmann Brazil & Rose. During his legal career, he was a partner at several other firms. From 1968 to 1970, he served as judge of the General County Court of Buncombe County. Earlier in his career, he was assistant director of the Institute of Government at the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill. He was chairman of the Buncombe County Democratic Party, president of the Buncombe County Bar Association and chairman of the board of the Bank of Asheville. In 1994, he was inducted into the General Practice Hall of Fame by the North Carolina Bar Association.

Gerald B. Franklin ’51 of Larchmont, N.Y., died Sept. 21, 2002. He was president of AMACOIL Plastics Machinery Inc. in New York and a lawyer and writer.

Eugene Klebenov ’51-’52 of Dedham, Mass., died March 7, 2003.

William H. Adkins II ’52 of Williamstown, Mass., died Feb. 17, 2003. Formerly of Easton, Md., he was a judge of the Maryland Court of Appeals from 1986 to 1990. He had previously been appointed to the Court of Special Appeals in 1982 by Gov. Harry R. Hughes. For 20 years, he practiced in Easton, also serving as chairman of the Maryland Advisory Committee to the U.S. Commission on Civil Rights. In 1969, he was named first chairman of the Maryland Commission on Human Relations, and he was the chief architect of the Code of Fair Practice. In the early 1970s, he was director of the Commission to Revise the Annotated Code of Maryland. He served as an infantryman in the Italian campaign in WWII, remaining active in the U.S. Army and Air Force Reserve after the war.

Frederick D. Herberich ’52 of Winchester, Mass., died Oct. 15, 2002. He worked at Nutter McClennen & Fish in Boston.

Howard E. Levitt ’52 of Glen Mills, Pa., died Nov. 22, 2002.

Donn W. Carlsmith ’53 of Honolulu died Feb. 19, 2003. A longtime Hilo resident, he was a partner at Carlsmith Ball, joining the firm when it was Carlsmith and Carlsmith. He was a managing director of Dillingham Investment Corp. and served as chairman of the Hawaii Preparatory Academy, National Tropical Botanical Garden and Lyman Museum. He collected rare books and paintings depicting early Polynesian voyages and was known for his expertise in the flora and history of Hilo.

John R. Kirk ’53 of Needham, Mass., died Feb. 14, 2003. He was a partner at Bingham Dana & Gould, now known as Bingham McCutchen, in Boston, where he worked for 37 years. A tax specialist and corporate lawyer, he helped draft legislation, later signed into law by President Jimmy Carter, that barred state and local governments from taxing employees’ fringe benefits. Earlier in his career, he worked for Arthur Andersen and later Peat Marwick Mitchell Co., and he earned an MBA in 1961. In the 1950s, he served in the U.S. Army Judge Advocate General’s Corps in Heidelberg, Germany.

Robert B. Underhill ’53 of Scarsdale, N.Y., died Oct. 31, 2002.

James M. White Jr. ’53 of Manchester-by-the-Sea, Mass., died March 16, 2003. He was a partner with Bingham, Dana & Gould in Boston, where he worked for more than 30 years. He represented foreign companies, especially British companies, that were establishing U.S. operations. A director of Fisons, a medicine and laboratory equipment maker, and the advertising firm Humphrey, Browning, MacDougal, he was also a trustee of Beverly Hospital, the Brookwood School in Manchester and the June Rockwell Levy Foundation in Rhode Island. He published his father’s WWII diaries and prepared the Civil War diary of Gen. Charles P. Mattocks, his great-grandfather, for publication. He served in the U.S. Army from 1949 to 1950.

Sir John C. Smith ’53-’54 of Nottingham, England, died Feb. 14, 2003. He was a professor of law at the University of Nottingham from 1957 to 1987, appointed one of the university’s first pro-vice-chancellors in 1973. He was a member of the Criminal Law Revision Committee, a book review editor of the Journal of Society of Public Teachers of Law, and the author of “Criminal Law” and “Law of Theft.” He was knighted in 1993.

Andrew L. Clark ’54 of Bernardsville, N.J., died Nov. 8, 2002.

Maj. Gen. Sir James A. Eyre ’54 of Berkshire, England, died Jan. 3, 2003. He was secretary to the Chiefs of Staff Committee during the Falklands War and was appointed Silver Stick in 1975, a court appointment dating from Tudor times. In 1983, he was appointed GOC London District and major general commanding the Household Division. He retired from the Army in 1986. He later served as a director of Westminster Associates International.

John C. McDonald ’54 of Brooklyn, N.Y., died Jan. 20, 2003. He headed the United States Trademark Association and worked as a vice president of Sterling Drug Inc., where he practiced trademark law. Earlier in his career, he worked at Mudge Rose Guthrie Alexander & Ferdon. After retiring in 1990, he pursued his interest in theater, serving as vice president of the Acting Company, a classical repertory touring company. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Navy.

Roger R. Phillips ’55 of New Canaan, Conn., died Nov. 19, 2002.

Francis J. Simone ’55 of Vero Beach, Fla., died Jan. 3, 2003. Formerly of New Jersey, he was an attorney in private practice in Union and a president of the Rotary Club in Union. He served in the U.S. Army Air Forces during WWII.

Lee Sylvester ’55 of Van Nuys, Calif., died Nov. 27, 2002. He was a founding partner at Sylvester & Oppenheim in Los Angeles, focusing his practice on litigation.

William Patrick Kelley ’55-’56 of Los Angeles died Feb. 24, 2003. He was an editor, novelist, television scriptwriter and screenwriter, winning an Oscar in 1985 for co-writing the screenplay “Witness.” As a television writer, he earned his first credit in 1955, with an episode of “Marshall Dillon,” and he later wrote for police and action shows “Serpico,” “Petrocelli” and “Kung Fu.” He earned more than 150 TV credits in his career, winning the Golden Spur award for his work on “Gunsmoke” and “How the West Was Won.” He also worked in the publishing industry, joining Doubleday as an editor in 1957 and later working at McGraw-Hill and Simon & Schuster. His novel “Gemini” was published in 1959 and became a best-seller. He also wrote “The God Hunters,” “The Tyree Legend” and “The Sweet Summer,” which is based on his experiences as a boxer in the U.S. Air Force in the 1940s. His most recent novel, “A Servant of Slaves,” was published in February 2003.

Dana C. Coggins ’56 of Mattapoisett, Mass., died Nov. 10, 2002. Formerly of Westwood, he was a partner at Nutter, McClennen & Fish in Boston, where he worked for over 40 years. He also taught at Boston University Law School for many years. Earlier in his career, he served as a judicial law clerk at both the federal and state levels. He wrote several legal textbooks and published his first novel, “Nine Lives and 45 Days That Changed Them,” in 2000. He served in the U.S. Air Force in the Judge Advocate General’s office, attaining the rank of captain.

Gerald J. Kay Coles Q.C. LL.M. ’56 of Yorkshire, England, died Sept. 3, 2002.

Raymond R. Goehring Jr. ’56 of Wexford, Pa., died Dec. 15, 2002. He was a senior partner at Goehring, Rutter & Boehm in Pittsburgh. A director of UPMC Passavant hospital, Mars National Bank and Mifflinburg Bank and Trust, Union County, he was also a trustee of Thiel College and the Arthritis Foundation of Western Pennsylvania. He was a fellow of the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel and served as counsel to the Southwestern Pennsylvania Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. Goehring taught Sunday school and was a youth group leader at St. John’s Lutheran Church of Highland.

Joel R. Labell ’56-’57 of Andover, Mass., died Oct. 3, 2002. He practiced law in South Lawrence for over 46 years. Active in his community, he belonged to Temple Emanuel and Chabad Lubavitch of Andover.

Warren M. Davison ’57 of Baltimore died Dec. 14, 2002. A labor relations attorney, he was a partner and manager of the Baltimore office of Littler Mendelson. He had previously worked for Shawe & Rosenthal in Baltimore, a firm he joined as partner in 1972. Earlier in his career, he worked for the National Labor Relations Board in Washington, D.C., where he served as deputy chief of its appellate court branch. In the early 1960s, he received the Young Federal Lawyer Award, and he was listed in the 1999-2000 edition of “The Best Lawyers in America.”

J. Bruce Dunlop LL.M. ’57 of Toronto died June 21, 2001. He was a professor emeritus at the University of Toronto, Faculty of Law. He also served as an associate dean of the law school, was chairman of the Academic Freedom and Tenure Committee of the Canadian Association of University Teachers and was an editor-in-chief of the Dominion Law Reports. In 1989, he was awarded the Law Society Medal by the Law Society of Upper Canada, and in 1994, he received the Distinguished Alumnus Award from the University of Toronto Law Alumni Association. He previously taught at Queen’s University and the University of Ottawa. He was the commanding officer of the university naval training division at HMCS York, retiring from the reserve navy with the rank of lieutenant commander.

Henry B. Shepard Jr. ’57 of Brookline, Mass., died Dec. 18, 2002. He was a senior partner at Goodwin Procter in Boston and developed the firm’s banking group. Before law school, he taught at the American University in Cairo, Egypt, and later was assistant director of the international student house at the University of Goettingen in Germany. He was a director of the American Congregational Association, president of the Greater Boston Chamber of Commerce, trustee of the New Hampshire Historical Society and the George R. Wallace Foundation, and an honorary trustee of Deree-Pierce College in Athens, Greece. Involved in several family history projects, he edited and published “The Perry Family of Norton and the Nine Gardners,” written by his mother. During the Korean War, he served in Puerto Rico with the U.S. Army.

Gerald A. Gleeson Jr. ’58 of Bryn Mawr, Pa., died Nov. 19, 2002. A longtime resident of Philadelphia, he was a health care analyst and senior vice president of the Philadelphia Chamber of Commerce. Earlier in his career, he was a principal in a medical consulting firm and an adjunct professor of health administration and political science at Saint Joseph’s University in Philadelphia.

Thomas K. Holmquest ’58 of Pima, Ariz., died Oct. 12, 2002.

James W. Jackson ’59 of Wellesley, Mass., died Dec. 26, 2002. He was vice president of human resources at Berkshire Realty Holdings in Boston, where he worked since 1978. He also worked in human resources for General Electric in Schenectady, N.Y., for 15 years. In 1996, he passed the Massachusetts bar exam, and later the Florida and Illinois exams, hoping to practice law upon his retirement. In 1959, he joined the U.S. Air Force as a judge advocate general and served in Korea and Japan. He was discharged in 1963 with the rank of captain.

Jesse Rothstein ’59 of Purchase, N.Y., died Jan. 3, 2003. He was a senior partner at the intellectual property firm of Amster, Rothstein & Ebenstein in New York City.

Mary W.C. Jackson ’59-’60 of Bethesda, Md., died Oct. 27, 2002. She was deputy director of the Primary Care Coalition of Montgomery County. From 1989 to 2001, she was a director of the Family Services Agency in Gaithersburg. In the late 1980s, she was executive director of the Capitol Hill Arts Workshop.


Carl L. Taylor ’61 of Washington, D.C., died March 27, 2002.

M. Donald Cardwell ’62-’63 of West Hartford, Conn., died July 31, 2002. A practicing attorney for over 33 years, he worked as an assistant corporation lawyer in New York before joining his brother in practice in 1969. In 1977, they formed the partnership of Cardwell, Cardwell and Smoragiewicz in Hartford. Following the Bay of Pigs, he joined the Cuban fighters on several excursions to liberate Cuba. He also served in the U.S. Army.

Martin Paul Solomon ’63 of New York City died July 4, 2002.

Paull Mines ’67 of Aurora, Colo., died Aug. 29, 2002. He was general counsel for the Multistate Tax Commission in Washington, D.C. Earlier in his career, he was an assistant attorney general for the Navajo Nation Department of Justice and an attorney at Poole, Tinnin & Martin in Albuquerque, N.M. He served in the U.S. Navy as a judge advocate general officer.

Michael A. Pane ’67 of Hightstown, N.J., died Jan. 12, 2003. He established his own firm in Hightstown in 1978 and served as general and special counsel to local government bodies and municipal boards throughout New Jersey. He wrote “New Jersey Local Government Law” and an annual analysis of municipal law for the New Jersey Law Journal’s “State Supreme Court Year in Review.” He was editor of the New Jersey Quarterly Institute of Municipal Attorneys’ Law Review and an adjunct professor at Rutgers Law School. He received awards for public service from the New Jersey Institute of Municipal Attorneys, the New Jersey State League of Municipalities and the New Jersey Health Officers Association.

Zigurds L. Zile S.J.D. ’67 of Monticello, Wis., died Nov. 26, 2002. He was a professor emeritus at the University of Wisconsin Law School in Madison. A professor at the university from 1961 to 1989, he specialized in torts, Soviet law and international litigation. Born in Latvia, he returned in the late 1980s to visit and later wrote scholarly articles and editorials for the Latvian press and periodicals. He served in the U.S. Army.

Joseph L. Getraer ’68 of Greens Farms, Conn., died May 6, 2002. He was a partner at Katten Muchin Zavis Rosenman in New York City, previously Katten Muchin Zavis and Rosenman & Colin.

Ronald J. Greene ’68 of Falls Church, Va., died Oct. 31, 2002. An attorney at Wilmer, Cutler & Pickering in Washington, D.C., since 1972, he specialized in consumer protection and antitrust law. In 1975, he briefly left the firm to serve as special counsel to the Commission on CIA Activities Within the United States, and the following year he was named a partner. He served as assistant to the general counsel of the U.S. Army from 1969 to 1972.

Joseph Remcho ’69 of Piedmont, Calif., died Jan. 4, 2003. He was a First Amendment and elections law expert, and served as legal adviser to many of California’s Democratic leaders over the past three decades, including Gov. Gray Davis and San Francisco Mayor Willie Brown. A partner at Remcho, Johansen & Purcell in San Leandro, he represented the state legislature in redistricting matters and other cases involving voter initiatives, term limits and campaign finance. Early in his career, he served as a staff attorney for the Lawyers Military Defense Committee in Saigon, Vietnam, and was a staff attorney and lobbyist for the American Civil Liberties Union in San Francisco and Sacramento.


Richard H. Mills ‘ 73 of Wall, N.J., died Jan. 7, 2003. He was in private practice for the last 10 years, having practiced civil litigation for 17 years at Lautman, Henderson, Mills & Wight. Earlier in his career, he was deputy attorney general for the state of New Jersey. He also worked in California, as a corporate lawyer in Beverly Hills and later on the staff of the Los Angeles city attorney. He served in the U.S. Air Force from 1963 to 1967.


Andrew I. Batavia ’84 of Miami died Jan. 6, 2003. A Miami Beach lawyer, he helped write the Americans with Disabilities Act and crusaded for legalizing doctor-assisted suicide. He was an associate professor of public health policy at Florida International University and a partner at McDermott, Will & Emery. A special assistant to Attorney General Richard Thornburgh in the first Bush administration, he was also associate director of the White House Domestic Policy Council and executive director of the National Council on Disability. He was twice named a distinguished scholar in the National Institute on Disability and Rehabilitation Research’s Mary Switzer Fellowship Program.


Helge P. Boes ’97 of Falls Church, Va., died Feb. 5, 2003. He was a Central Intelligence Agency operations officer, having joined the CIA in January 2001. He was assigned to the CIA’s Counterterrorist Center in Afghanistan and was the second CIA officer to die in the line of duty in Afghanistan. He previously worked as an attorney at Latham & Watkins in Washington, D.C.