1920-29 | 1930-39 | 1940-49 | 1950-59 | 1960-69 | 1970-79 | 1980-1989


Irving J. Engelman ’28-’29 of Ellicott City, Md., died March 2, 2002. He spent 40 years in New Jersey civil service, retiring as the state’s director of welfare. He then became a consultant to the American Public Welfare Association in Washington, D.C.

Maurice Heckscher ’28-’30 of Philadelphia died October 31, 2001. A retired senior partner at Duane Morris & Heckscher in Philadelphia, he served on the boards of Equitable Life Assurance Society, the Philadelphia Award, the Fund for the Advancement of Education of the Ford Foundation, and the American Philosophical Society. He was also president of the Associated Harvard Clubs, the Philadelphia Zoological Society, and the Natural Lands Trust; general chairman of the Philadelphia Community Chest; and trustee of the Dolfinger McMahon Foundation. During WWII Heckscher was assistant general counsel of the War Production Board and served in the U.S. Naval Reserve, where he handled legal matters as a lieutenant.


Milton C. Rose ’30 of Alford, Mass., died March 19, 2002. He was a retired partner at Mudge Rose Guthrie Alexander & Ferdon in New York City, where he had practiced trust and estate law for over 60 years. Rose’s colleagues at Mudge Rose included former president Richard Nixon and his attorney general, John Mitchell.

Richard D. Shewmaker ’30 of St. Louis died February 25, 2002. He practiced law for nearly seven decades in St. Louis, including 30 years with Thompson, Mitchell, Thompson & Young; several years with a firm he started that evolved into Thompson, Walther, Shewmaker & Gaebe; and 17 years as a partner at Shewmaker & McNearney. Shewmaker was a past president of the Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis and served as vice chairman of the Metropolitan Board of Freeholders, a group that studied the organization of government in St. Louis County. He was also a leader in a movement that resulted in the adoption of Missouri’s nonpartisan court plan.

Daniel Stubbs ’30 of Tucson, Ariz., died January 8, 2002. He served as an assistant attorney general of Nebraska and was a partner at Davis, Stubbs and Healy in Lincoln, Nebr., and at Stubbs and Metz in Alliance, Nebr. During his career, he argued before the U.S. Supreme Court, Nebraska Supreme Court, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit, and U.S. Tax Court. Stubbs commanded landing ship tank squadrons and flotillas in the European and Pacific theaters during WWII.

David D. Carroll ’30-’31 of Memphis, Tenn., died April 22, 2001.

Edward R. McPherson Jr. ’30-’31 of Darien, Conn., died January 3, 2002. He was a senior partner at Cummings & Lockwood in Stamford, Conn., and town counsel of Darien for 25 years.

Francis M. Bain ’31-’32 of Denver died November 1, 2001. He was a retired president of Campbell-Sell Baking Co., located in Denver. Bain was a lieutenant colonel in the U.S. Army, where he commanded a battalion of the 65th Infantry Division, serving in the European theater under General George Patton during WWII.

Lee G. Paul ’32 of Laguna Beach, Calif., died March 23, 2002. He was a retired founding partner at Paul, Hastings & Janofsky in Los Angeles. In 1946 he, Bob Hastings, and Walter Edmonds opened Paul, Hastings and Edmonds, but later Edmonds left and Leonard Janofsky ’34 joined. Paul was a litigator who retired in 1978 but remained active with the firm. He served with the Office of Price Administration and as a member of the National War Labor Board during WWII.

Norman R. Tyre ’33 of Beverly Hills, Calif., died January 3, 2002. In 1940 he cofounded Gang, Tyre, Ramer & Brown, where he practiced entertainment law until the age of 91.

J. Lindsay Ware ’33 of Harvard, Mass., died June 14, 2001.

Arthur L. Dougan ’34 of Cleveland died January 29, 2002. He was a partner at Jones Day Reavis & Pogue in Cleveland, joining the firm in 1935 when it was called Tolles Hogsett & Ginn and retiring in 1984. Earlier in his career, Dougan spent a year in New York City as a clerk for Judge Learned Hand 1896, the federal appeals circuit judge. He was a director of North American Coal and Lincoln Electric, and served on the Cleveland Heights-University Heights school board, Cleveland Heights zoning board of appeals, and the Cleveland Museum of Natural History trustees board.

Bernard S. Jefferson ’34 S.J.D. ’43 of Los Angeles died March 16, 2002. He was a retired California appellate justice–one of the first African-Americans appointed to the state appellate courts. Jefferson was appointed associate justice of division four of the Second District Court of Appeal in 1975 to succeed his retiring brother, Edwin L. Jefferson. He served one year on the Los Angeles Municipal Court and 15 years on the Los Angeles Superior Court. Jefferson was one of the founders of the California Judges College, a two-week program f r new judges held each year at the University of California-Berkeley. In 1982 he became president of the University of West Los Angeles Schools of Law and Paralegal Studies in Inglewood. During his 12-year tenure he taught courses in evidence and criminal procedure. Earlier in his career, Jefferson was a professor at Howard University School of Law and served as assistant general counsel in the Office of Price Administration, both in Washington, D.C. He was a past president and director of the Los Angeles Urban League, served as a member of the minority employment advisory committee of the Department of Employment and on the board of managers of the Wilshire branch of the YMCA, and was district commissioner of the Boy Scouts of America.

Frank L. Dennis ’35 of Arlington, Va., died January 29, 2002. He was the Washington representative of the American Petroleum Institute for more than a decade. Earlier in his career, Dennis held a number of media-related positions, including editor of the Oklahoma Daily,assistant managing editor at the Washington Post, information chief in Paris for the Marshall Plan, chief spokesman for the U.S. Embassy in Rome, and chief of the news department of the U.S. Information Agency. In addition, Dennis authored a high school reference book,The Lincoln-Douglas Debates (Textbook Binding, 1974).

Malcolm L. Monroe ’35 of New Orleans died July 30, 2001. He was a lawyer with the Reconstruction Finance Corp. and the Securities and Exchange Commission in Washington, D.C. He later joined Monroe & Lemann, where he became a managing partner. He was a director of Whitney National Bank of New Orleans, Downman Inc., Bowie Lumber Co., New Orleans & N.E. Railroad, New Orleans Terminal, and the Metropolitan Area Committee, and was an executive committee member of the Council for a Better Louisiana; state chairman of the American Probate Counsel; and a trustee of the Alton Ochsner Medical Foundation, Eye, Ear, Nose and Throat Hospital.

Howard Rubin ’35 of Boston died January 3, 2002. He was a partner at Rubin & Rudman in Boston.

Mark A. Sullivan ’35 of Manasquan, N.J., died November 9, 2001. He was a New Jersey Supreme Court justice for eight years and wrote the decision that initially reversed the murder conviction of boxer Rubin “Hurricane” Carter. He was appointed to the Second District Court of Jersey City in 1945 and was named a superior court judge in 1953. After his retirement he presided over the recount of the state’s closest gubernatorial election, between Republican Thomas Kean and Democrat Jim Florio, in 1981. He served in the U.S. Navy during WWII as a combat intelligence officer aboard the USS Croatan, an escort aircraft carrier.

John P. Boogher ’35-’39 of Lutherville Timonium, Md., died October 25, 2001.

G. Nathan Calkins ’36 of Falls Church, Va., died February 2, 2002. He was a retired managing partner at Galland, Kharasch and Calkins in Washington, D.C., where he specialized in aviation law. He practiced law in New York before coming to Washington, D.C., to join the staff of the U.S. Civil Aeronautics Board, which he served as chief of the international and rules division. In the 1950s and 1960s, Calkins served as editor of the Journal of Air Law and Commerce and associate editor of the United States and Canadian Aviation Reports. While in private practice, he served as assistant secretary of Philippine Airlines from 1974 to 1980, and after his retirement in 1980 he did pro bono work in the Fairfax County Juvenile Court and for Legal Counsel for the Elderly in Washington, D.C. Calkins served in the U.S. Navy during WWII.

H. Burton Powers ’36 of Wellesley, Mass., died November 8, 2001. He was a senior partner at Tyler & Reynolds in Boston, where he practiced trust, tax, and probate law. He was also a director on the executive and beneficiary committees of the Rogerson House, director of the Gibson House Museum, and director and president of the Stowe Day Foundation in Hartford, Conn. A veteran of the U.S. Navy, he attained the rank of lieutenant commander and spent the last months of WWII at the Bureau of Yards and Docks in Washington, D.C.

Henry S. Reuss ’36 of Belvedere Tiburon, Calif., died January 12, 2002. He served from 1955 to 1983 as the U.S. representative from Wisconsin’s Fifth Congressional District. He was chairman of the Banking, Currency and Housing Committee for several years before heading the Joint Economic Committee. Reuss sponsored legislation supporting the Peace Corps and the Ice Age National Scenic Trail. In 1999 his book, When Government Was Good: Memories of a Life in Politics, was published by the University of Wisconsin Press. During WWII he served in the U.S. Army with the 75th Infantry. He achieved the rank of major and was awarded the Bronze Star.

Charles E. Benson Jr. ’37 of Holyoke, Mass., died December 14, 2001. He was a trust officer at the former Palmer National Bank and the former Third National Bank of Hampden County. A U.S. Navy lieutenant, he served in the Pacific theater during WWII.

Chester H. King Jr. ’37 of Silver Spring, Md., died June 29, 2001. He was a retired partner at Bond Schoeneck & King.

Nicholas P. Nanos ’37 of Darien, Conn., died February 18, 2002. He was a senior partner at Nanos, Pimpinella and Epstein in Stamford, Conn., and served as the clerk of the Stamford City Court. Nanos was a member of the Stamford Appropriation Board, the Darien Planning and Zoning Board, and the South West Regional Planning Agency. During WWII he served as chief enforcement attorney for the federal Office of Price Administration and subsequently the National War Labor Board.

Frank Townend ’37 of Dallas, Pa., died November 24, 2001. He was a partner at Silverblatt & Townend in Wilkes-Barre, Pa., and a board member of General Roofing & Insulation Co.

Herbert H. McAdams II ’37-’38 of Little Rock, Ark., died November 6, 2001. He was chairman and president of General American Enterprises in Little Rock, chairman of the board of Citizens Bank of Jonesboro, and a director at Worthen Banking Corp. Earlier in his career he was chairman and CEO of Union National Bank of Little Rock. During WWII, McAdams served in the U.S. Navy in the South Pacific.

Milton A. Berger ’38 of Falls Church, Va., died December 6, 2001. He was an international economist who served as director of the office of foreign investment in the U.S. Department of Commerce, retiring in 1980. Berger began his career as an intelligence analyst with the U.S. Department of State, before transferring to the Department of Commerce, where he held positions as chief of the China and Southeast Asia section, director of the foreign business practices division, deputy director of the commercial and financial policy office, and assistant director of the office of international finance and investment. While at the Department of Commerce, Berger led trade missions to Hong Kong, Malaysia, Zambia, Kenya, and Ethiopia. He taught at the Georgetown University School of Foreign Service and lectured at George Washington University, the U.S. Army War College, the University of Virginia, and the University of Texas. During WWII, Berger served in the U.S. Army Signal Corps and the Office of Strategic Services.

Cecil F. Bryant ’38 of Jacksonville, Fla., died March 1, 2002. Governor of Florida from 1961 to 1965, he was appointed by President Lyndon Johnson to direct the Office of Emergency Planning in 1966 and became chairman of the U.S. Advisory Commission on Intergovernment Relations in 1967. In 1970 he was defeated in a U.S. Senate election and returned to private practice in Jacksonville. Bryant served in the U.S. Navy during WWII.

William H. Ferrell ’38 LL.M. ’40 of St. Louis died October 10, 2001. He was a partner at Keefe, Schlafly, Griesedieck and Ferrell in St. Louis, where he practiced corporate, tort, and regulatory law. Early in his career, Ferrell worked for the FBI, and he served as a lieutenant junior grade in the U.S. Navy during WWII.

Sumner L. Raymond ’38 of Salem, Mass., died January 16, 2002. He practiced probate law for over 57 years and served as town counsel for Topsfield and Essex, Mass.

Edward K. Wheeler ’38 of Washington, D.C., died February 9, 2002. He was a partner at Wheeler & Wheeler in Washington, D.C., where he practiced transportation law. Wheeler represented many of the largest railroad companies of the time: Baltimore & Ohio, Chesapeake & Ohio, Chicago & Northwestern, St. Louis & San Francisco, Missouri Kansas Texas, and the Western Maryland. His client list also included the Teamsters union, until 1982, when his testimony helped convict Teamsters president Roy Williams of attempting to bribe U.S. Senator Howard Cannon.

James D. Ewing ’38-’39 of Keene, N.H., died January 21, 2002. During the late 1940s and early 1950s, he was co-owner of the Bangor Evening Commercial, a small daily Maine newspaper. Ewing was a co-owner of the Keene Sentinel for nearly four decades and campaigned for a wide range of local and state causes. After stepping down as the paper’s publisher during the mid-1980s, he cofounded the International Center for Journalists, a Washington, D.C.-based training institute. During WWII he was a mediation officer for the National War Labor Board, before enlisting in the U.S. Navy, where he monitored labor relations in factories that produced war materials.

Samuel S. Greeley ’39 of Winnetka, Ill., died November 10, 2001. He worked for the Masonite Corp. in Chicago for more than 30 years, serving as general counsel, director, executive vice president, president, and chairman of the board. He was also a director of Harris Bankcorp and Signode Steel. A trustee of Rockford College, he gave the school a $500,000 gift for the construction of a sports facility in 2000, and last October the football and soccer stadium was dedicated as Sam Greeley Field. He practiced law before and after WWII, when he joined the U.S. Navy and served as a communications officer. He remained in the U.S. Naval Reserve for more than 20 years after the war.

Herbert N. Maletz ’39 of Baltimore died January 6, 2002. He held a variety of federal posts, including trial attorney for the antitrust division of the U.S. Department of Justice, counsel to the Office of Price Stabilization, chief counsel to the antitrust subcommittee of the Judiciary Committee of the U.S. House of Representatives, and trial commissioner on the Court of Claims in Washington, D.C. Appointed to the U.S. District Court in Baltimore in 1987, Maletz was the oldest judge hearing cases on the federal bench in Maryland when he retired in 2001. During WWII he served in the U.S. Army and held the rank of lieutenant colonel.


Philip C. Starr ’40-’41 of Claremont, Calif., died August 21, 2001.

Chester S. Davis ’41 of Winston-Salem, N.C., died December 22, 2001. For more than 30 years, he was a reporter for the Winston-Salem Journal, where he won a National Headliner Award along with several other state and national writing awards. Prior to becoming a journalist, Davis was a special agent with the FBI.

Samuel L. Rodgers ’41-’42 of Canonsburg, Pa., died November 19, 2001. He was a senior judge of the Commonwealth Court of Pennsylvania in Pittsburgh.He was a prosecutor and solicitor in Washington County and also worked as a defense attorney before joining the judiciary in 1978, when he was appointed to the Washington County Common Pleas Court. During WWII, Rodgers served in the U.S. Navy in the Pacific theater.

Colburn G. Cherney ’42 of Cary, N.C., died November 8, 2001.

James W. McNabb ’42 of Claremont, Calif., died October 30, 2001.

Morton B. Braun ’44-’45, ’47-’48 of Lincoln, Mass., died December 24, 2001.

Richard Fleeson ’46 of Bellingham, Wash., died July 9, 2001.

Walter J. Rockler ’46 of Rockville, Md., died March 8, 2002. A prosecutor at the Nuremberg Trials in the late 1940s, Rockler was appointed the first director of the Office of Special Investigations at the U.S. Department of Justice in 1979. The office identifies and deports former Nazis. His work included traveling to the Soviet Union to negotiate access to evidence in determining candidates for investigation. He served until 1980. Rockler then returned to Arnold & Porter in Washington, D.C. During his career at the firm, he was a senior partner and head of the tax department. During WWII he enlisted in the U.S. Navy, where he was given Japanese language training, and then was commissioned a lieutenant in the U.S. Marine Corps. He was stationed in the Pacific, where he gathered intelligence from prisoners.

Francis E. Hart ’46-’47 of Fort Wayne, Ind., died April 7, 2001.

Charles J. Cole ’47 of Bloomfield, Conn., died February 22, 2002. He was a retired partner at Robinson & Cole in Hartford, where he practiced corporate law. Cole was a former city prosecutor, former West Hartford councilman, and the first chairman of the antitrust section of the Connecticut Bar Association. He also served on the boards of Travelers Insurance and the Society for Savings. During WWII, Cole served in the U.S. Army and was a veteran of the battle for Guadalcanal.

Mitchell K. Disney ’47 of Melbourne, Fla., died May 23, 2001.

Raymond P. Underwood ’47 of Portland, Oreg., died January 18, 2002. Early in his career, he was legal adviser to Mark Hatfield during Hatfield’s second term as governor and first term as senator. In 1969 Underwood joined the Oregon attorney general’s office as counsel to the Board of Higher Education. In 1972 he was appointed chief counsel of the attorney general’s Portland office, a position he held until his retirement in 1982. Underwood advised many state agencies on air and water pollution, the preservation of forests and salmon, field burning, and the rights of Native Americans on state lands.

Douglas B. Bowring ’48 of Edgartown, Mass., died December 30, 2001. He was a retired partner at the admiralty firm Haight Gardner Poore and Haven in New York City. He served in the U.S. Air Force during WWII.

Marshall L. Buckalew ’48 of Charleston, W.Va., died February 24, 2002. Former president of Morris Harvey College, now the University of Charleston, he spent nearly his entire career there, teaching business classes and serving as vice president and president of business and finance before becoming college president. Buckalew was a veteran of WWII.

Alexander D. Hargrave ’48 of Rochester, N.Y., died October 12, 2001. He was a retired senior counsel at Nixon Hargrave Devans Doyle, and former chairman and CEO of Lincoln First Banks.

Earle K. “Dick” Moore ’48 of Shelter Island, N.Y., died November 3, 2001. He was a community activist and a lawyer who advocated on behalf of community activitists. He argued the early 1960s case, brought by the United Church of Christ, against a television station in Jackson, Miss., that was charged with violating African-Americans’ civil rights, and he later represented the United Church of Christ and the National Council of Churches and successfully petitioned the Federal Communications Commission to require that local television stations disclose the numbers of minorities and women hired. He also chaired committees of the Citizens Union and Community Service Society, civic groups that fought housing discrimination, among other issues, and was instrumental in helping New York City computerize its Housing Court, which expedited court cases. Moore began his career at Goldstein, Judd and Gurfein in Manhattan; worked for his own firm, which he started in 1968, for 25 years; and most recently was with Bondy & Schloss. He enlisted in the U.S. Army during WWII and spent three years in the Pacific theater as an interpreter of aerial photographs of enemy territory to identify troop concentrations, military weapons, and other targets.

Peter Solbert ’48 of Huntington, N.Y., died November 15, 2001. He was senior counsel at Davis Polk & Wardwell in New York City.

Cecil B. Highland Jr. ’49 of Clarksburg, W.Va., died January 13, 2002. For nearly 45 years he was the president and general manager of Clarksburg Publishing, publishers of the Clarksburg Exponent,Clarksburg Telegram, and Sunday Exponent-Telegram. He was the only West Virginian to serve as president of the Southern Newspaper Publishers Association. Earlier in his career he helped form the Clarksburg firm now known as McNeer, Highland, McMunn and Varner. He was also an assistant law professor at West Virginia University from 1949 to 1956. Former president of the Empire National Bank, he also served as director of the former C&P Telephone Co. and director and president of both the Harrison County Chamber of Commerce and the West Virginia Chamber of Commerce. He served in the U.S. Army, achieved the rank of major, and received the Bronze Star.


Robert E. Frisch ’50 of Greenwich, Conn., died February 5, 2002. He was a retired partner at Rogers & Wells in New York City, where he headed the tax department.

Carlisle B. Lane ’50 of Menlo Park, Calif., died October 14, 2001. He was a retired partner at Pillsbury Madison & Sutro in San Francisco, where he had spent 41 years practicing law. Major cases handled by Lane included the acquisition of the Bank of California by Baron Edmond de Rothschild. He also represented the Bank of America before the International Tribunal at the Hague in cases involving the freezing of Iranian assets following the fall of the Shah of Iran in 1979. Lane served in the U.S. Navy from 1945 to 1947.

Harold H. Smith ’50 of Concord, N.C., died February 17, 2002. He was in-house counsel at Cannon Mills Co. from 1966 to 1983 and retired from practicing law in 1993. During WWII he became a lieutenant colonel in the U.S. Army, where he served in the 12th Infantry, 4th Division from 1939 until he was critically wounded in Normandy, France, five days after the D-Day invasion at Utah Beach. Smith was awarded the Silver Star, Bronze Star, Purple Heart, Army Commendation Medal, and Combat Infantry Badge.

A. A. “Al” Sommer Jr. ’50 of Bethesda, Md., died January 14, 2002. He practiced corporate and securities law in Cleveland for 24 years and later served as managing partner and of counsel at Morgan, Lewis & Bockius in Washington, D.C. In 1973 he was appointed to the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) by President Richard Nixon, and he was instrumental in the SEC’s decision to eliminate fixed commission rates. After leaving the SEC, Sommer served as chairman of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants’ public oversight board and later as vice chairman of a task force of the National Association of Securities Dealers, which monitored and investigated suspected illegal practices in the over-the-counter market. In addition, he advised several governments, including those of China, Egypt, and the Philippines, on establishing securities markets. Sommer also taught at Case Western Reserve University and the University of Michigan, and wrote and lectured on securities laws and accounting topics.

Lawrence B. Urbano ’50 of Worthington, Mass., died November 27, 2001. He was a retired Massachusetts Superior Court judge. Urbano served as an assistant U.S. attorney before he was appointed by Governor Edward King as an associate justice of the Massachusetts Superior Court, serving throughout Western Massachusetts. A naval aviator in the U.S. Naval Air Corps stationed on the USS Hornet and the USS Yorktown in the South Pacific theater during WWII, he was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross and the Air Medal with Gold Star, and received two presidential citations. In 1961 Urbano was recalled by the Navy during the Berlin crisis and served as commanding officer of an antisubmarine squadron. He retired from the U.S. Naval Reserve in 1983.

Burton L. Williams ’50 of Boston died February 8, 2002. He practiced taxation law as a partner at Deutsch Williams Brooks DeRensis Holland & Drachman in Boston.

Bertram W. Eisenberg ’51 of Liberty, N.Y., died November 24, 2001. He was a partner at Appelbaum and Eisenberg in Liberty for 35 years before starting the firm Eisenberg and Kirsch. He also served on the New York State Board of Professional Responsibilities, which handles ethical violations, and served many years on the Liberty school board.

George B. Gelman ’51 of Port Ludlow, Wash., died March 21, 2002. He was a retired superior court judge in Bergen County, N.J., and had previously been an assistant Bergen County prosecutor. After leaving the bench in 1977, Gelman returned to private practice, representing businesses in disputes ranging from zoning battles to challenges to Sunday blue laws.

Leonard F. Mongeon Jr. ’51 of Rockville, Md., died March 23, 2002. He was a financial official with the National Security Agency (NSA) in Washington, D.C., for 28 years, before retiring as its budget and programs director in 1983. A 1976 recipient of the NSA Meritorious Civilian Service Award, he was a budget, finance, and investment consultant from 1983 until 2001, with clients including the Edison Electric Institute and Energy Resources International.

Alvin N. Biener ’53 of Pawtucket, R.I., died May 9, 2001. He was a partner with DelSesto & Biener and then Abedon, Michaelson, Stanzler & Biener, and in 1988 he became a sole practitioner. Biener served in the Korean War and was a member of the Paralyzed Veterans of America.

David E. Dickinson ’53-’54 of Washington, D.C., died November 20, 2001. For 25 years he worked for the Internal Revenue Service before retiring in 1990 as assistant to the commissioner and technical assistant to the chief counsel. He also worked for a private law firm in Chicago for 10 years.

Charles P. Buckley ’55 of Easton, Mass., died February 15, 2002. He was a retired partner at Keach and Buckley in Easton.

Edward T. Clary ’55 of New Canaan, Conn., died January 13, 2001. He was an international tax attorney for 30 years at Bristol-Myers Squibb in New York City, retiring as vice president of its tax department in 1995. Clary was a member of the International Fiscal Association and treasurer of the United Nations Day Committee and the Landmine Committee, an organization formed to support the removal of land mines in Cambodia.

Marcia R. Harrison ’55 of Alexandria, Va., died December 4, 2001.

Alexander C. Hoagland Jr. ’55 of New York City died June 4, 2001. In 1957 he joined Curtis, Mallet-Prevost, Colt & Mosle in New York City, and he went on to practice international and business law in the firm’s Mexico City office until his death.

Raymond E. King ’55 of Weymouth, Mass., died May 24, 2001. He was a retired senior partner at Nixon Peabody in Boston. King served as a radio operator in the Merchant Marine during WWII.

Robert J. Nicol ’55 of Fort Collins, Colo., died January 6, 2002. He practiced admiralty law in New York City and owned Metropolitan News Services, McGrath Industries, and International Terminal Operators.

Paul R. Puerner ’55 of Port Washington, Wisc., died May 4, 2001.

John E. Robson ’55 of San Francisco died March 21, 2002. His career in the federal government spanned four administrations. He was undersecretary of transportation in the Johnson administration; chairman of the Civil Aeronautics Board in the Ford administration, where he worked toward the deregulation of the airline industry; deputy Treasury secretary in the first Bush administration; and most recently president and chairman of the Export-Import Bank of the United States under the current Bush administration. Before joining the bank–a government agency that provides loans to foreign companies–Robson was an investment banker and senior adviser with Robertson Stephens, an investment banking firm in San Francisco. Earlier in his career he was president and CEO of G. D. Searle & Co. and dean of the Goizueta Business School at Emory University in Atlanta.

Guido A. Rothrauff Jr. ’55 of Weston, Mass., died November 22, 2001. He was retired general counsel for Eastern Gas and Fuel Associates, and was a trustee of the Boston Public Library and the Brimmer and May School in Chestnut Hill, Mass. Prior to beginning his legal career, Rothrauff served in the U.S. Army.

Lawrence E. Spellman ’55 of Bow, N.H., died July 6, 2001. He was a partner at Ransmeier & Spellman in Concord, N.H.

Jerome H. Torshen ’55 of Chicago died January 31, 2002. In 1963 he founded the firm now known as Torshen, Spreyer & Slobig in Chicago, where he served as counsel to Mayor Richard J. Daley in disputes over the Illinois delegations to the 1968 and 1972 Democratic conventions. He was appointed associate counsel to a special commission of the Illinois Supreme Court to investigate the state court’s handling of a case involving the former director of the Illinois Department of Revenue. Torshen represented a wide variety of clients, including Chicago Blackhawks player Bobby Hull, in his fight to break a lifetime contract with the team, and Holocaust survivors trying to prevent a neo-Nazi group from marching through their neighborhood in Skokie, Ill.

Robert B. Glynn ’56 of New York City died January 6, 2002. He was a founding partner of Becker, Glynn, Melamed & Muffly in New York City and chairman of the Lampadia Foundation, a private foundation devoted to promoting education, culture, and social work in Argentina, Brazil, and Chile.

Donald S. Tayer ’56 of Belvedere Tiburon, Calif., died October 26, 2001. He served as executive secretary of the San Francisco office of the American Federation of Television and Radio Artists (AFTRA) and the Screen Actors Guild for 25 years and was general counsel for the national office of the AFTRA at the time of his death. Tayer was a retired senior partner at Beeson, Tayer and Bodine in Oakland and served as mayor of Tiburon from 1974 to 1978.

Hugh Amory ’58 of Brookline, Mass., died November 21, 2001. He was a senior rare book cataloguer for 22 years at Harvard University’s Houghton Library before retiring in 1995. During the 1960s and 1970s, Amory taught eighteenth-century English literature at Columbia University and then at Case Western Reserve University. Among his many publications were the first volume of The History of the Book in America and two volumes of Henry Fielding’s Miscellanies, both of which he coedited. Amory recently taught a course in the technique of bibliography at Boston University.

Dragan D. Petroff ’58 of Oklahoma City died February 15, 2002. A native of Bulgaria, he became a U.S. citizen in 1961 and began practicing law as a sole practitioner in Oklahoma City in 1962.

Charles P. Bovone ’59 of Croton-on-Hudson, N.Y., died April 27, 2001. He was a retired partner at Seward & Bovone in New York City.

Louis N. Cavanaugh Jr. ’59 of Washington, D.C., died December 11, 2001. After practicing law in Erie, Pa., he entered the U.S. Foreign Service in 1961 and began his diplomatic career in Japan, serving there for six years. Cavanaugh was subsequently the American consul in Kuching, Sarawak, in Malaysia, and then counselor of the mission for international narcotics matters in Geneva, Switzerland. He completed his service at the U.S. mission to the International Civil Aviation Organization in Montreal, Canada, in 1983. Early in his career, Cavanaugh served as a lieutenant in the U.S. Navy aboard the USSWisconsin and the USS Intrepid.

Lawrence K. Harris ’59 of Sherman Oaks, Calif., died January 17, 2002. A longtime music and film industry executive, he began his career at Elektra Records and went on to serve in several executive positions in entertainment, including president of Ampex, vice president of business affairs and administration at CBS Records, and senior vice president, telecommunications at 20th Century Fox. Recently, Harris worked as an independent consultant for the entertainment industry.


Robert C. Agee ’62 of Bronxville, N.Y., died January 30, 2002. He was a sole practitioner with a varied appellate practice in White Plains, N.Y. Earlier in his career Agee was a special feature writer for a New York chain of newspapers–the precursor to the Journal News–and an editor for Horizon Magazine Active in the Democratic Party in Westchester County, Agee was environmental adviser to Senator Robert Kennedy and the first Democrat to serve on the Bronxville board of trustees, where he wrote land use legislation. Agee served as disbursing officer in the U.S. Navy aboard the USS Consolation Hospital Ship during the Korean War.

John K. Train III ’63 of Atlanta died June 12, 2001. A senior partner at Alston & Bird in Atlanta, he focused his practice on commercial litigation and antitrust law, most recently acting as the firm’s general counsel.

Jeffrey Chanin ’65 of Weston, Conn., died December 15, 2001. He was a retired senior managing director at Chanin Capital Partners in Weston, which he cofounded. He spent his entire career focused on bankruptcies, workouts, and business reorganizations.


Harris Wagenseil ’72 of Ware Neck, Va., died January 2, 2002. Early in his career Wagenseil was a trial lawyer, first working for indigent clients at Defenders, Inc., in San Diego and later as an associate, then partner, at Landels, Ripley and Diamond in San Francisco. In 1981 he cofounded Washburn, Kemp and Wagenseil. He left the practice of law in 1983 for a career in business with Cummins Engine Co., where his various positions included vice president of North American marketing. He then joined Union Pacific Railroad as special assistant to the chairman and retired as vice president of maintenance operations. He served on several boards, including as president of the board of Opera Omaha and as a member of the board of the Nature Conservancy of Nebraska.


Joseph A. D’Amico ’87 of Davidson, N.C., died October 8, 2001. He was a partner at Shumaker, Loop & Kendrick in Charlotte, N.C., where he focused on computer and Internet law, and international law.

Naoum M. Khattar LL.M. ’87 of Beirut, Lebanon, died October 24, 2001. He was a partner at Khattar & Associates in Beirut.