1920-29 | 1930-39 | 1940-49 | 1950-59 | 1960-69 | 1970-79 | 1980-1989 | 1990-1999


William W. Johnson ’22-’23 of Aurora, Ind., died January 28, 2001. He worked for Union Central Life Insurance in Cincinnati and was a former city attorney for Rising Sun, Ind., the county seat of Ohio County. From the 1940s to the 1960s he was a member of an adjudication board at the Veterans Administration Home Loan Guaranty division in Cincinnati. During WWII Johnson was an officer in the 107th Cavalry, Ohio Army National Guard, on the staff of Army Ground Forces headquarters in Washington, D.C., and he received the Legion of Merit for outstanding service.

H. Brian Holland ’28 of Lexington, Mass., died December 12, 2000. A tax law specialist, he worked at Ropes & Gray in Boston for more than 40 years, retiring as partner. He was also assistant attorney general in charge of the Justice Department’s tax division in the 1950s, after working in the U.S. solicitor general’s office and for the Justice Department’s claims division.

Stephen H. Hart ’29-’30 of Denver, Colo., died November 21, 2000. He was a partner at Holland & Hart in Denver.

Franklin W. Stevenson ’29-’30 of West Hartford, Conn., died March 30, 2000.


Hammond E. Chaffetz ’30 of Chicago, Ill., died January 12, 2001. An antitrust lawyer, he spent six decades with Kirkland & Ellis, in both Washington, D.C., and Chicago, helping make it one of the nation’s largest law firms. Early in his career he pursued antitrust cases as a federal prosecutor under Franklin D. Roosevelt. In a price-fixing case against the oil industry in 1938, he won convictions of 30 executives and 16 major oil companies for violating the Sherman Antitrust Act. After leaving the government, he defended corporations accused of price-fixing, including major oil companies and General Motors. Some of the judicial procedures he established while resolving price-fixing battles between power plant manufacturers and electrical utilities in the 1960s are still used for handling multiple lawsuits that involve related parties like tobacco companies or auto manufacturers. Chaffetz withdrew from active law practice about 20 years ago but kept an office and often advised on strategy for complex antitrust cases. He was also an advocate and fund-raiser for the arts in Chicago, most notably the Chicago Symphony Orchestra, the Goodman Theatre, and the International Theatre Festival.

Calvin Evans Hardin Jr. ’30 of Baton Rouge, La., died October 8, 2000. In 1938 he joined Durrett & Hardin in Baton Rouge, which later became Durrett, Hardin, Hunter, Dameron & Fritchie, and he practiced there until his retirement in 1994. Throughout the years, he held several positions with the Baton Rouge Bar Association, including treasurer, secretary, vice president, and president, and he served as president of the Louisiana Bar Association from 1971 to 1972.

Davidson Sommers ’30 of Washington, D.C., died December 17, 2000. He was a former senior vice president, general counsel, and chairman of Equitable Life Assurance Society and a World Bank official. He also served as vice president of the International Finance Corp., a World Bank affiliate. Sommers helped establish and served as president of the Eugene and Agnes E. Meyer Foundation, a charity founded in 1951 by Eugene Meyer, then the owner and publisher of the Washington Post.

Jeremiah J. Sullivan ’30 of Belmont, Mass., died January 11, 2001. He was a justice of the Probate Court of Dukes and Nantucket Counties for more than 20 years. He retired in 1975 but was recalled the following year by Governor Michael Dukakis and heard cases in Middlesex County. A Democrat, he was a member of the Cambridge City Council earlier in his career and then a state representative for 13 years. He was also a former member of Sullivan, Campbell, Richards and Galvin and an assistant attorney general.

Morris L. Strauch ’30-’32 of Nashville, Tenn., died November 18, 2000. He was of counsel to Goodman, Glazer, Greener, Schneider & McQusition in Memphis for 55 years.

Louis Otten ’31 of New York City died December 20, 2000. He was a family court judge of the City and State of New York.

Harold L. Perlman ’31 of Wilmette, Ill., died November 11, 2000. He was a sole practitioner who fought dishonest banking practices and was the architect behind the landmark U.S. Supreme Court casePerlman v. Feldman. In that suit, he successfully established that minority shareholders should be provided the same rights as majority shareholders. Perlman served on several boards, including Michael Reese Hospital, Evanston Hospital, and the Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Chicago.

Johannes C. D. Zahn S.J.D. ’31 of D¸sseldorf, Germany, died in September 2000. He was honorary president of the board of Bank Trinkaus & Burkhardt in D¸sseldorf.

Justus C. Poole ’31-’32 of New York City died July 2, 2000.

J. Armand Gendron ’31 (’35) of Sanford, Maine, died November 17, 2000. He was a sole practitioner of general law throughout his career. Gendron served as a selectman in Sanford and was a director of the Sanford Institution for Savings.

John B. Nason ’32 of Lopez, Wash., died July 30, 2000.

Joseph F. Haas ’33 of Atlanta, Ga., died October 3, 2000. An Atlanta lawyer, he did major legal work involved in the creation of the Voter Education Project, which encouraged blacks across the South to register to vote in the 1960s, 1970s, and 1980s. Founded in 1962, the project financed local, nonpartisan registration efforts in the South and contributed money to major civil rights organizations. In addition to serving on the project’s board in the 1960s, Haas was a member of the board and the chief legal counsel of the Southern Regional Council, of which the project was a part until 1970. He was also active in the Atlanta Legal Aid Society, helping to revive it after WWII, and raised money for it in later years. He began his career practicing law with his father in Atlanta and went on to have various partners.

Thomas McC. Wilson ’33-’34 of Los Angeles, Calif., died November 11, 2000.

Lionel R. Edwards ’33-’35 of Burbank, Calif., died in December 2000. He was a retired corporate credit manager at Union Oil Co. of California.

Joseph M. Hill ’33-’35 of Lebanon, Pa., died in December 2000.

Irving Herbert ’34 of New York City died October 6, 2000. He was an attorney at Podell, Schwartz, Schechter & Banfield in New York City.

Ethan A. Hitchcock ’34 of Oldwick, N.J., died November 18, 2000. He was a former chairman of the Educational Broadcasting Corp., the parent company of Channel 13, the first public television station in the New York metropolitan area. He was also chairman of the Olivetti Corp. of America and a member of the board of governors of the Public Broadcasting Service. Practicing law before and after WWII, Hitchcock was a partner for more than 20 years at the firm that became Webster & Sheffield. He then served the firm as of counsel until his retirement.

Harold A. Lipton ’34 of Los Angeles, Calif., died in January 2000. He was of counsel at Mitchell Silberberg & Knupp in Los Angeles.

James O’Malley Jr. ’35 of New York City died December 20, 2000. He was a former assistant deputy district attorney and member of LeBoeuf, Lamb, Greene & MacRae, where he practiced utilities and administrative law and led the firm’s representation of Lloyd’s of London in the United States. He also served as waterfront commissioner of New York Harbor for a short time and was a member of the board of advisers of the Naval War College.

Cortlandt V. D. Hubbard ’35-’36 of Glenside, Pa., died October 23, 2000.

James Alfred Avirett ’36 of Cumberland, Md., died February 10, 2001. He practiced law in Cumberland from 1936 until the time of his death. He also served for 30 years with the U.S. Department of Justice as the U.S. commissioner and magistrate for western Maryland. Avirett was legal counsel for Columbia Gas of Maryland, LaVale Sanitary Commission, and Allegany Community College, and he was a former member of the Federal Communications Commission.

Edmund T. Delaney ’36 of Chester, Conn., died December 17, 2000. He practiced law in New York City for three decades and then with Copp, Brenneman and Tighe in Connecticut. He also wrote seven books, many about the history of New York City and Connecticut. They included The Connecticut River, New England’s Historic Waterway and his last, a 1994 autobiography titled Me Voilý. During his many years living in Chester, Delaney worked to preserve the town’s heritage and scenic beauty and offered guidance to many community groups there.

R. L. Dillard Jr. LL.M. ’36 of Dallas, Tex., died November 30, 2000. He was of counsel at Nichols, Jackson, Dillard, Hager & Smith in Dallas and previously executive vice president of Southland Life Insurance.

Edward B. Hanify ’36 of Belmont, Mass., died December 31, 2000. He was a retired partner at Ropes & Gray in Boston. He was a member of President Johnson’s National Advisory Council on the Education of Disadvantaged Children and an appointee of President Kennedy to the board of visitors at the U.S. Military Academy. In 1969 Hanify was credited with developing Senator Edward Kennedy’s legal strategy in the inquest into the death of Mary Jo Kopechne. He served as director of New England Telephone, AT&T, John Hancock Mutual Life Insurance, State Street Bank, and Boston Edison, and as trustee, secretary, and director of the Kennedy Library Foundation. Hanify was a lieutenant in the U.S. Navy during WWII.

Samuel H. Morgan ’36 of St. Paul, Minn., died October 17, 2000. He practiced law at Briggs and Morgan in Minneapolis and St. Paul from 1936 until his retirement in 1981. A community leader and conservationist, he founded the Minnesota Parks Foundation (now called Parks and Trails Council of Minnesota) in the 1960s. He was a dedicated advocate for the creation of parks and trails throughout Minnesota and received regional and national recognition for his pioneering efforts in land conservation.

Jack Stutman ’36-’38 of Van Nuys, Calif., died September 19, 2000. A retired bankruptcy attorney, he was a founder of Stutman, Treister & Glatt, a bankruptcy and reorganization firm in Los Angeles. He cowrote two educational plays, Anatomy of a Bankruptcy and Chapter X-1/2 or Bust, which for many years were shown at the swearing-in ceremonies for all new admittees to the California State Bar. He was also former chairman of the Business Bankruptcy Committee of the ABA.

Otto Kotouc ’37 of Omaha, Nebr., died October 20, 2000. He spent most of his professional life in law and banking. Kotouc was president and chairman at several banks in Humboldt, Dawson, Elk Creek, and Tecumseh, Nebr. Most recently he served on the board of the American National Bank in Omaha. He was previously president and cofounder of the Nebraska Bar Foundation, president of the University of Nebraska Foundation, president of the Nebraska State Historical Society Foundation, and head of the Nebraska School Reorganization Committee.

Robert L. Clare Jr. ’38 of Annandale, N.J., died March 18, 2001. A corporate lawyer, he spent his career at Shearman & Sterling in New York City, becoming a partner in 1952, serving as managing partner from 1977 to 1982, and continuing as counsel after stepping down from the partnership in 1987. In addition to helping build the firm’s litigation practice, recruiting a number of young lawyers, he played a critical role in its growth and international expansion. He specialized in antitrust and securities cases and also served o› boards at several companies, including Georgia-Pacific, a client of the firm. Fascinated by international legal issues throughout his career, Clare helped to set up the Anglo-American Exchanges, an international exchange program for lawyers and judges from the United States and Britain. He was also one of the few Americans to be named an honorary member of the Honorable Society of the Inner Temple, a highly selective British legal organization.

Frederick W. Neill ’38 of Decatur, Ill., died December 9, 2000. He was a sole practitioner who specialized in patent, trademark, and copyright law.

Francis H. Patrono ’38 of Mechanicsburg, Pa., died in January 2001. He was a partner at Patrono, Ceisler, Edwards & Pettit in Cumberland County, Pa., and was former president of the Washington County Bar Association.

Leonard H. Shacknow ’38-’39 of Rye, N.Y., died in April 2000. He was president of Shacknow & Sons in Englewood Cliffs, N.J.

Thomas B. Caldwell ’39 of San Mateo, Calif., died October 13, 2000. He was a former municipal court judge of San Mateo County. He was also an attorney at Pillsbury Madison & Sutro in San Francisco and chief research attorney for the late California Chief Justice Phil S. Gibson. A member of the American Power Boat Association, Caldwell held five world speed records and one international speed record during the 1950s with his 135-cubic-inch three-point-suspension hydroplane.

Campbell DeMallie ’39 of Dedham, Mass., died January 26, 2001. He was retired from John Hancock Mutual Life Insurance and was a former member of the finance committee of the Town of Dedham.

Herbert W. Finbury ’39 of Haverhill, Mass., died January 13, 2001. In 1949 he cofounded Finbury & Sullivan in Haverhill, where he practiced until shortly before his death. He was a past president of the Haverhill Bar Association and a longtime member of the board of governors of the Massachusetts Academy of Trial Attorneys. During WWII Finbury was a lieutenant in the Coast Guard and served for four years in the South Pacific, and he participated in 11 Marine landings, including Bougainville and Guadalcanal.

Grant E. Wesner ’39 (’40) of Reading, Pa., died August 25, 2000. He was a senior judge for the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.


Thomas H. Choate ’40 of Locust Valley, N.Y., died November 8, 2000. He was a partner at Kaplan Choate & Co. in New York City.

Robert V. Huber ’40-’41 of Wilmington, Del., died in November 2000. He was a sole practitioner in Wilmington.

John A. Bowler ’41 of Erie, Pa., died July 1, 2000.

William E. Read ’41 of Knoxville, Tenn., died November 18, 2000. He was professor emeritus at the University of Louisville School of Law.

William J. Rennert ’41 of Manhasset, N.Y., died February 2, 2001. A retired executive and corporate attorney, he was presiding partner at Wickes, Riddell, Bloomer, Jacobi & McGuire in New York City. In 1979 the firm was merged into Morgan, Lewis & Bockius, and Rennert served as the senior partner in its New York office. He later worked for and became chairman of Publishers Clearing House, retiring in 1987 but remaining a member of its executive committee until his death. Rennert was an associate trustee at the North Shore Hospital in Manhasset and a director of the Lucerna Fund in Port Washington. During WWII he was stationed in Hawaii and then the Philippines, was promoted to lieutenant, and received the Purple Heart.

Bernard Rowe ’41 of Westfield, N.J., died March 31, 2000. He was retired general counsel for Canada Dry in New York City and was previously general counsel of McCall Corp. Rowe was a first lieutenant in U.S. Army Intelligence during WWII.

Samuel Atlas ’42 of Rochester, N.Y., died January 20, 2001. He was a partner at Gossin & Atlas in Rochester.

Robert B. Ballantyne ’42 of Los Angeles, Calif., died August 25, 2000. He practiced law at various Los Angeles firms for more than 55 years.

Howard L. Clark ’42 of Hobe Sound, Fla., died February 2, 2001. He had a 32-year career at American Express, where he served as senior vice president and director, executive vice president, and then longtime chief executive officer. He played a central role in the creation and growth of the American Express Card and oversaw the development of the company’s travel and financial services businesses, and steady growth in the company’s earnings, assets, and shareholders’ equity. He later served the company as a director and then as an adviser to the board.

Lindsay Fisher ’42 of Redlands, Calif., died September 20, 2000.

Benedict S. Moss ’42 of Woodbridge, Conn., died April 20, 2000. He was a partner at Moss & Moss in New Haven.

Robert W. Sharp ’42 of Cleveland, Ohio, died in December 2000. He was a retired partner at Gallagher Sharp Fulton & Norman in Cleveland. Sharp served as president of the Ohio East Area United Methodist Foundation and of the Bulkley Building Co., and he was a trustee of St. Luke’s Hospital Association and the Ohio division of the American Cancer Society. He served in the U.S. Navy during WWII.

David E. Agnew ’42 (’46) of Rancho Palos Verdes, Calif., died January 13, 2001. He was a partner at Kindall and Anderson, and then a founding partner at Agnew, Miller, and Carlson in Los Angeles. He was a trustee of the House Ear Institute and the Webb School.

Walter L. M. Lorimer ’43 (’46) of Santa Barbara, Calif., died December 31, 2000. A specialist in entertainment, labor, and copyright law, he practiced in Los Angeles from 1947 to 1982, principally with MCA, and as a partner at Loeb and Loeb. He was a former president of the Beverly Hills Bar Association, of the Los Angeles Copyright Society, and of Public Counsel, of which he was a founding director. Active in environmental causes, Lorimer was president of the Federation of Hillside and Canyon Associations in Los Angeles. He was a longtime arbitrator in entertainment business and labor disputes, continuing that work after retiring and moving to Santa Barbara.

John F. Grindle Jr. ’43 (’47) of Washington, D.C., died January 15, 2001. A lawyer who specialized in tax and real estate law, he spent much of his career with Milbank, Tweed, Hadley & McCloy. His law clients included Nelson Rockefeller, Chase Manhattan Bank, Ford Motor Co., and D.C. Transit. He also worked for a year as an assistant to Rockefeller when Rockefeller was undersecretary of the Department of Health, Education and Welfare. In later years Grindle was of counsel to Watson, Cole, Grindle & Watson. He was a president of the HLSA, the Harvard Club of Washington, and a regional association of Harvard clubs, and he served as a director of the English-Speaking Union.

Robert S. Ivie ’43 (’47) of Bainbridge, Island, Wash., died in January 2001.

Henry N. Ess III ’44 of New York City died October 25, 2000. He was a trusts and estates partner at Sullivan and Cromwell and a longtime board member of the Vincent Astor Foundation.

James D. St. Clair ’44 (’47) of Wellesley, Mass., died March 10, 2001. A trial lawyer for 50 years, many of which he was a partner at Hale & Dorr in Boston, he represented President Richard Nixon in the Watergate scandal. As Nixon’s chief defense lawyer, St. Clair tried to discredit the testimony of the president’s principal accuser, John W. Dean III, and insisted that the president had committed no crimes. Arguing the United States v. Nixon case before the Supreme Court on July 8, 1974, he asserted broad claims of executive privilege, urged the Court to avoid ìpolitical questionsî related to Watergate, and said the justices should stay their hand until the impeachment process had run its course. Despite St. Clair’s argument, 16 days later, in a unanimous decision, the Court ordered President Nixon to surrender 64 White House tape recordings needed by the special prosecutor for the trial of the president’s top aides. One of the tapes included evidence linking Nixon to a conspiracy to obstruct justice. The president resigned from office on August 9, 1974. During St. Clair’s career he also was an assistant to a Boston lawyer who criticized the tactics used by Senator Joseph R. McCarthy in investigating suspected Communists; represented a chaplain of Yale University accused of conspiring to counsel young men on how to evade the draft; and represented the Boston School Committee in a lawsuit filed by black parents trying to desegregate the schools. In the early 1990s he investigated the practices of the Boston Police Department at the request of Mayor Raymond L. Flynn. For more than 25 years, St. Clair taught the techniques of trial practice at HLS.

George B. Robertson LL.M. ’46 of Halifax, Nova Scotia, died November 22, 2000. He was counsel at McInnes Cooper & Robertson in Lunenburg, Nova Scotia. Robertson was appointed to the Queen’s Counsel.

Thomas S. E. Brown ’46 (’47) of Akron, Ohio, died in February 2000.

Louis Lusky ’46-’47 of Ridgewood, N.J., died January 4, 2001. A pioneer in the field of civil rights law and a constitutional law scholar, he was Betts Professor Emeritus of Law at Columbia Law School. He began his legal career as a clerk for U.S. Supreme Court Justice Harlan Stone, during which time he helped draft the famous Footnote 4 inUnited States v. Carolene Products. The footnote asserts that the Court might adopt a higher level of judicial scrutiny in matters concerning noneconomic regulation, which has been applied in cases involving the protection of the integrity of the political process, particularly those involving religious, national, or racial minorities where prejudice might be operative. Lusky served as an operations analyst for the Eighth Air Force in England during WWII and then returned to his hometown, Louisville, Ky., where he was in private practice for 16 years before joining the Columbia Law School faculty in 1963.

William E. Duffield ’46-’48 of Uniontown, Pa., died January 14, 2001. He was a former Pennsylvania state senator, Fayette County solicitor, assistant district attorney, and chairman of the Fayette County Airport Authority. While in the Senate, he chaired the Veterans Affairs Committee and was a member of the Judicial Committee. Duffield served in the military during both WWII and the Korean War.

Donald H. Wallingford LL.M. ’47 of Lilburn, Ga., died July 11, 2000.

Milton N. Cikins ’47-’49 of Sandwich, Mass., died October 19, 2000. He was a former Social Security Administration chief of physician services and helped develop Medicare in the 1960s. He was active with the Association for Children with Learning Disabilities in Columbia, Md., in the 1970s, and after moving to Sandwich, he established a General Educational Development community school there and was an ombudsman and patient advocate for a local nursing home.

Judson J. Allgood ’48 of Cincinnati, Ohio, died October 30, 2000. He was a senior partner at Peck, Shaffer & Williams in Cincinnati. Previously working as a patent attorney at what is now Wood, Herron & Evans, Allgood joined Peck, Shaffer & Williams in 1952 and spent the next 48 years specializing in public finance. He was responsible for the legal structuring of Hamilton County’s financing of Riverfront Stadium, and he successfully defended the county against a taxpayers’ suit concerning stadium financing that went to the U.S. Supreme Court. Allgood served in the U.S. Navy during WWII.

Lawrence I. Boonin ’48 of Philadelphia, Pa., died February 10, 2001. A pioneer in creating intellectual property laws during the early years of the computer revolution, he was cofounder, vice president, and general counsel for 25 years of Auerbach Consulting and Publishing, a Philadelphia-based company that was among the early leaders in computer and information sciences. He was also a partner at several law firms, including Blank Rome Comisky & McCauley, and Franklin, Grodinsky and Boonin, where he specialized in corporate and contract law. For a number of years he taught at the University of Pennsylvania and Temple University. Boonin was active in the community, serving as a member of the Philadelphia School Board and the Philadelphia Civil Service Commission. In addition, he provided legal services pro bono, he fought for the rights of those blacklisted during the McCarthy era, and during the Vietnam War he counseled his students about their Selective Service options. Boonin served in the Army Air Corps in the South Pacific during WWII.

H. Cushman Dow ’48 of La Jolla, Calif., died October 3, 2000. He was retired vice president and general counsel for the Convair and Space Systems divisions of General Dynamics in San Diego, which he had joined in 1962 and first served as general counsel for astronautics. He appeared on the company’s behalf before the U.S. Supreme Court. During the late 1960s he developed an expertise in international space law, lecturing and writing on legal liabilities in space exploration. Early in his career, Dow was head of the legal department of Pacific Telephone in Sacramento. He later worked at Gray, Cary, Ware & Freidenrich in La Jolla, where he continued as an adviser until September. He was former president of the San Diego Chamber of Commerce, the San Diego Rotary Club, and the San Diego chapter of the Navy League. He was also an incorporator and vice chairman of the board of San Diego National Bank. Among the first U.S. naval officers to assist in the planning of the occupation of Japan during WWII, Dow served as a gunnery officer aboard the cruiser USSCleveland in the Atlantic and cruisers Cleveland and Atlanta in the South Pacific. He left active duty as a lieutenant commander with 12 battle stars.

John F. Forsyth ’48 of Naples, Fla., died July 1, 2000. He was president of Forsyth, Brugger & Bourgeau in Naples.

Eugene T. Liipfert ’48 of Chevy Chase, Md., died October 30, 2000. He was a retired partner at Verner, Liipfert, Bernhard, McPherson and Hand in Washington, D.C., where he focused on transportation law. Liipfert was a national officer of the Association of Transportation Practitioners, a fellow of the ABA and member of its public utility council, and a member of the Transportation Lawyers Association. He served in the U.S. Army as a navigator with the Army Air Corps’s Air Transport Command during WWII.

Randolph L. Marshall ’48 of Rockville, Md., died December 6, 2000. He worked for the Central Intelligence Agency, with postings in Munich, Washington, D.C., London, and Nigeria. He also did development work, especially in Africa, where he spent 12 years working in the area of public administration. In addition to undertaking assignments in Zambia and Zaire, he founded the Institute of Public Administration at the University of Ife in Nigeria, worked with the Moroccan prime minister’s office on civil service reform, and worked to strengthen civil service training in Uganda. Later in his career, back in the United States, Marshall worked with the Ford Foundation and the Institute for Public Administration until his retirement. A first lieutenant during WWII, he led his platoon onto Omaha Beach in Normandy and took part in the final invasion of Germany, and he was decorated with Purple Hearts, a Bronze Star, and a Silver Star.

Joseph Modeste Sweeney ’48 of Denver, Colo., died December 11, 2000. He was a law professor at New York University, where he also served as director of the Institute of Comparative Law and the Inter-American Law Institute, and then dean at Tulane University Law School. He went on to teach full-time at Tulane after stepping down from the deanship, specializing in international law and coauthoring a text on the subject. Early in his career Sweeney practiced as a member of the Washington, D.C., and U.S. Supreme Court bars, and was a legal adviser to the U.S. State Department, for which he argued a case before the International Court of Justice at The Hague in 1952. In 1988 he joined the ì65 Clubî at Hastings College of Law in San Francisco, which allowed professors of retirement age to keep teaching, and he stayed there until 1997.

Robert K. Weary ’48 of Junction City, Kans., died January 29, 2001. He began his law career at Stinson, Mag, Thomson, McEvers & Fizzell in Kansas City and later became a partner at Weary Davis Henry Struebing & Troup in Junction City. Interested in the cable television business beginning in its early days, he became one of the founders of Communications Services and went on to serve as president and then secretary-treasurer and general counsel of the Mid-America Cable Television Association and as president of the Kansas Cable Television Association. He also was director of the National Cable Television Association for several terms and a member of its committee that negotiated the original copyright law. One of the leaders who formed the National Cable Television Cooperative in 1984, Weary then served on its board for a number of years. He was also a director of Central of Kansas, Inc., a large bank holding company, as well as an officer or director of numerous other charitable and business activities and social clubs in Geary County, Kans. During WWII Weary served as a U.S. Army Air Force fighter pilot in the Pacific theater, where he logged 105 combat missions. He was later recalled to fly combat during the Korean War and then served in the staff Judge Advocate General Corps.

Bruce H. Zeiser ’48 of Milford, N.H., died October 16, 2000. He was a former Massachusetts state representative and vice president of Lawyers Title Insurance. He was also briefly a lawyer with the U.S. Department of Justice and assistant general counsel to the Federal Housing Administration. In his later years, he wrote a column for theMilford Cabinet titled ìNow Hear This.î


Richard M. Marshall ’50 of Harrison, N.Y., and Boca Raton, Fla., died November 10, 2000. He was a partner at Marshall & Tucker in New York and a partner in Marsam Realty, a family business that owns and operates real estate in New York City. He was a decorated Ranger in the 86th Infantry Division of the Blackhawks in WWII.

Alfred B. Cohn ’52 of Cambridge, Mass., died January 15, 2001. He served the City of Cambridge for four decades as a member of its rent control board, its planning board, and the board of the Cambridge Neighborhood Apartment Housing Services and as a founding member of the New England Nonprofit Housing Association. He was also a member and former president of the Cambridge Civic Association and an original member of Cambridge’s rent control board, which he served for two decades. His 29 years of service on the Cambridge planning board included developing plans for Harvard Square, for commercial development along the busy Massachusetts Avenue corridor, and for the East Cambridge Riverfront, while preserving adjacent low-density neighborhoods. Cohn was also an accomplished builder and inventor, teaching himself the building trades after practicing law briefly and then spending the remainder of his career designing, building, and renovating homes and small offices around New England.

Ronald Marsching ’53 of Woodbury, Conn., died February 7, 2001. He was general counsel and secretary and later vice chairman of U.S. Time Corp. (later Timex). Prior to that, he advised on legal matters with the U.S. Army briefly before practicing corporate law at White & Case in New York City.

Jerome Shelby ’53 of Verona, N.J., died February 21, 2001. He was a partner at Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft in New York City for almost 30 years and then remained counsel to the firm. He served as its cochairman for more than nine years and was a member of its management committee for close to 20.

Sanford J. Liebschutz ’55 of Pittsford, N.Y., died December 22, 2000. He was a partner at Chamberlain D’Amanda Oppenheimer & Greenfield in Rochester.

William B. Shaffer Jr. ’55 of Cincinnati, Ohio, died January 31, 2001. He worked for several law firms in Cincinnati, focusing on corporate estates and trusts, before retiring in 1993. Shaffer also owned One Hour Martinizing dry cleaners in Hyde Park Square, Cincinnati, for 32 years. He served as a lieutenant in the U.S. Marine Corps during the Korean War.

Harry Schneider ’56 of Memphis, Tenn., died October 7, 2000. He was a partner at Schneider, Kahn, Siegel & Blumenthal in Memphis.

Richard M. Haywood ’56-’57 of West Lafayette, Ind., died June 17, 2000. He was a professor of history at Purdue University in West Lafayette.

Francis X. Lennon Jr. ’57 of Cos Cob, Conn., died in December 2000. He was a partner at Heagney Lennon & Slane in Greenwich.

Paul D. Paganucci ’57 of Hanover, N.H., died February 26, 2001. He was former chief financial officer and vice president and treasurer emeritus of Dartmouth College. He was also retired chairman of the executive committee of W.R. Grace & Co., which he had earlier served successively as executive vice president and vice chairman. Professor of business administration and associate dean of Dartmouth’s Tuck School, his graduate business school, beginning in 1972, he was awarded the Tuck Overseers Medal for service and Tuck’s Distinguished Alumni Award in the 1990s, and Dartmouth’s board of trustees honored him by establishing an endowed professorship in Italian language and literature in his name. Early in his career Paganucci cofounded the investment banking firm Lombard, Vitalis and Paganucci in New York City, and he went on to serve the firm as president, treasurer, and director. In 1991 he helped found Ledyard National Bank, and since its beginning he chaired its board of directors. In addition to serving for many years as a trustee of Colby College in his hometown of Waterville, Maine, where he chaired the investment committee for more than 20 years, he was a trustee of the College of Mount Saint Vincent and New Hampshire Catholic Charities and a director of the Sherman Fairchild Foundation and the Grace Foundation.

David F. Cavers Jr. ’58 of Duxbury, Mass., died November 12, 2000. Cavers was assistant general counsel at Gillette and a partner at Palmer & Dodge in Boston, before opening his own firm on Newbury Street, where he specialized in commercial and environmental law. From 1990 to 1995 he hosted Cavers Law, a cable television program. Cavers was a director of the Conservation Law Foundation and former president of the Appleseed Center for Law and Justice.

Aaron Karp ’58 of Englewood Cliffs, N.J., died in December 2000. He was a partner at Karp and Sommers in New York City.

Samuel S. Kahn ’59-’60 of New York City died in December 2000.


John H. Chapman ’60 of Seattle, Wash., died October 24, 2000. He practiced business and commercial law and was a member of the Washington State Bar Association for 40 years. For more than 20 years he was a board member and supporter of Northwest Center for the Retarded.

Melvyn B. Fliegel ’61 of Los Angeles, Calif., died February 8, 2001. He was a sole practitioner in Los Angeles and a retired partner at Alschuler Grossman & Pines.

Ralph J. Zola ’63 of Englewood Cliffs, N.J., died November 1, 2000. He was a partner at Ralph J. Zola and Associates in Englewood Cliffs.

Stuart T. Maher ’64 of Garden City, N.Y., died August 29, 2000. He was a civil rights attorney in Washington, D.C.

Hans J. Schafer LL.M. ’64 of Bonn, Germany, died September 17, 2000. He was director of the federal office of regulation of public companies in Berlin from its founding in 1991 until May 2000.

Robert W. Beynart ’65 of Atlanta, Ga., died December 27, 2000. He was a partner at Smith Gambrell & Russell in Atlanta and adjunct professor at the Emory University School of Law, where he most recently taught courses in the advocacy skills program.

Robert D. Rosewater ’65 of Shaker Heights, Ohio, died September 29, 2000. He was a lawyer and volunteer for civic and charitable groups. He was a partner at Weston Hurd Fallon Paisley & Howley in Cleveland and taught classes at the Case Western Reserve University School of Law. He also donated his legal skills to Habitat for Humanity and volunteered with the Cleveland Restoration Society.

F. Frederick Kennedy Jr. ’67›of Augusta, Ga., died December 2, 2000. He founded CSRA Cablevision and Cable Communications and later created and operated a television station. Kennedy was a director of the National Cable TV Association and president of the South Carolina Cable Television Association. In addition, he served as a director of the Boys and Girls Clubs of Augusta and director and president of the Georgia Area Council of Boys and Girls Clubs of America. He was advisory board member of the Salvation Army and a vice chairman of the Augusta-Richmond County Clean Community Commission. Kennedy served in the U.S. Army during the Vietnam War.

Henry L. Mason III ’67 of Chicago, Ill., died in October 2000. He was a partner at Sidley & Austin in Chicago.


Robert G. Damus ’72 of Vienna, Va., died November 29, 2000. He was general counsel for the federal Office of Management and Budget. In that position he was instrumental in devising budget control legislation, including the deficit reduction laws of 1993 and 1995 and the Balanced Budget Act of 1997. A career civil servant, he was one of a small number of government lawyers to have reached the general counsel level by means other than a political appointment. Earlier in his career he practiced law in Los Angeles as a litigator on cases involving large corporations and worked as a lawyer for the Department of Justice.

Makitaro Hotta LL.M. ’77 of Kyoto, Japan, died November 9, 2000. He was dean and professor of law and society at the Ritsumeikan Asian-Pacific University. He was also an author and a scholar of international law and relations.


Marc Feldman LL.M. ’81 of Baltimore, Md., died in December 2000. He was an associate professor at the University of Maryland Law School.

Gail S. Lewis-Johnston ’86 of Philadelphia, Pa., died October 25, 2000. A former project manager of affordable housing development and legal counsel at the Community Builders, she had her own business of real estate development and acquisition. Early in her career, she was a consultant at Booz-Allen & Hamilton and practiced real estate law at Wolf, Block, Schorr and Solis-Cohen, both in Philadelphia.


Lynn A. Marchetti ’92 of North Providence, R.I., died February 23, 2001, of cancer. She was an associate at Jones, Day, Reavis & Pogue in Washington, D.C., and served as a law clerk to Judge R. Lanier Anderson of the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals in Macon, Ga. While in law school, Marchetti taught Legal Methods and handled cases for the Legal Services Center. She had worked at San Fernando Valley Neighborhood Legal Services in California before coming to HLS.