1930-39 | 1940-49 | 1950-59 | 1960-69 | 1970-79 | 1980-1989
Herman Snyder ’31 of Chestnut Hill, Mass., and Palm Beach, Fla., died Nov. 4, 2006. He was a partner at Hinckley, Allen & Snyder in Boston. He founded the firm as Snyder, Tepper and Berlin in 1947 and specialized in construction law.
Elliott W. Finkel ’33 of Oakland, Pa., died Sept. 9, 2006. A Pittsburgh lawyer for more than seven decades, he practiced corporate and estate law at Tucker Arensberg. From 1939 to 1942, he was an assistant U.S. attorney in the Western District of Pennsylvania. He later practiced law at what became Finkel, Lefkowitz, Ostrow and Woolridge, which, in 1988, merged with Tucker Arensberg. He was president of what is now the Agency for Jewish Learning, and he was a founder of the Jewish Assistance Fund. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Army Air Forces’ 392nd Bombardment Group.
Sidney Sherman ’34 of Lake Worth, Fla., died Aug. 25, 2006. For 40 years, he worked for the National Labor Relations Board in Washington, D.C. He began his career there in 1935 and retired as an administrative law judge in 1975. After his retirement, he worked as a public defender for the District of Columbia.
Charles B. Carroll ’36-’37 of San Rafael, Calif., died Oct. 12, 2006. A captain in the U.S. Navy, he was a career military officer. Commissioned in 1939, he served in three wars, saw nearly 30 years of active duty and retired in 1968. He joined the submarine service in 1941, and 10 years later he commanded the USS Lowry, leading the ship on a 35-month tour of duty around the world.
C. Guy Ferguson Jr. ’37-’38 of Norfolk, Va., died Aug. 30, 2006. Formerly of Falls Church, he worked for NASA for many years. After working for the National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics in Virginia for 12 years, he transferred to Washington, D.C., in 1955, and he was later appointed a member of NASA’s Inventions and Contributions Board. The board was activated on Dec. 4, 1958, 14 months after the Russians successfully launched Sputnik I. He served on the NASA board for 16 years.
Eli Cantor ’38 of Sarasota, Fla., died Oct. 17, 2006. Formerly of New York City, he was a businessman, novelist, playwright, composer and poet. Early in his career, he worked in the legal department of CBS Television and later was an editor of Esquire magazine and head of the Research Institute Report. In 1940, he won the O’Brien Short Story Award, and one of his science fiction novels, “The Nest,” was made into a horror movie in 1998. His plays appeared off Broadway and on NBC’s “Armstrong Circle Theatre” in the 1950s, and in 1992, the Sarasota Ballet of Florida choreographed a composition he wrote for a string quartet. During WWII, he was an editor for the U.S. Office of War Information.
Ernest Fasano ’38 of Red Bank, N.J., died Oct. 18, 2006. A longtime resident of Red Bank, he practiced law with Quinn, Doremus, McCue and Russell and later with Russell, Fasano, Nicosia and Goodall, both in Red Bank. During WWII, he was stationed in India as a captain in the U.S. Army.
Morton J. Holbrook Jr. ’38 of Owensboro, Ky., died Aug. 25, 2006. A Kentucky lawyer, he helped reform the commonwealth’s court system. He headed Kentucky Citizens for Judicial Improvement and was instrumental in drafting a constitutional amendment that made sweeping changes in the commonwealth’s judicial system, including introducing the requirement that judges be lawyers. He practiced law at what is now known as Sullivan, Mountjoy, Stainback & Miller, retiring in 1994. For 20 years, he served on the Kentucky Council on Higher Education, and he helped to establish Owensboro Community & Technical College. In 2000, he received Owensboro’s first Joseph Hamilton Daviess Award, recognizing extraordinary public service, and in 2004, Daviess County’s judicial center was named in his honor. He served in the U.S. Army during WWII, attaining the rank of major.
Bernard H. White ’38 of Haverford, Pa., died Dec. 7, 2006. Formerly of Wayne, he was counsel for General Electric for 29 years in Philadelphia and Valley Forge. He retired in 1977 and was in private practice in Wayne until 1993. A Radnor Township commissioner, he encouraged preservation of open space and was involved in the township’s purchase of the Willows, a 47-acre estate. He and his wife, parents of a girl with mental illness, co-founded Planned Lifetime Assistance Network of Pennsylvania and helped found Torrey House, a residence for the mentally disabled in Haverford. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Army and in the Office of Strategic Services.
Alexander C. Cushing ’39 of Newport, R.I., and Olympic Valley, Calif., died Aug. 19, 2006. He founded Squaw Valley USA and was an innovator in the development of the ski industry in the United States. He opened the Squaw Valley ski area in 1949, and he secured his site for the 1960 VIII Olympic Winter Games. In 1999, he was inducted into the Ski Industry Hall of Fame. Early in his career, he worked for Davis Polk & Wardwell in New York City and for the U.S. Department of Justice. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Navy in South America and the Pacific, attaining the rank of lieutenant commander. (For a Bulletin story on Cushing, go to www.law.harvard.edu/alumni/bulletin/2003/spring.)
Morton H. Greenblatt ’40 of North Branford, Conn., died Aug. 24, 2006. He practiced law at Pomerantz, Drayton and Stabnick and served in the Connecticut Attorney General’s Office, specializing in workers’ compensation. A longtime resident of Meriden, he was head of the city’s law department for 16 years. Earlier in his career, he worked for the Ellmore Silver Co. and managed a separate branch of the company, the Amston Silver Co. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Army as part of the War Crimes Commission in Japan.
Dulany Mahan Jr. ’40 of Palm Harbor, Fla., died Sept. 25, 2006. Formerly of White Plains, N.Y., he was a partner at Kurnik and Hackman in New York City. From 1948 to 1952, he was an assistant attorney with the Federal Trade Commission in Washington, D.C. He was involved in philanthropy in connection with the city of Hannibal, Mo., and the Mark Twain Home Foundation in Hannibal, where he was born and where his family helped to preserve the boyhood home of Mark Twain. During WWII, he was a corporal in the U.S. Army and did historical research while stationed in Georgia.
Sol Schildhause ’40 of Bethany Beach, Del., died Sept. 15, 2006. He was the first chief of the Federal Communications Commission’s cable television bureau and was a principal player in many of the regulatory battles over cable television from its inception through the early 1990s. He joined the FCC in 1947, and in 1966, he was appointed head of the newly established CATV task force. After retiring in 1974, he was managing partner of the Washington, D.C., office of Farrow, Schildhause & Wilson. After his second retirement in 1993, he was a board member of the Media Institute in Washington, D.C. He co-edited the treatise “Cable TV Act of 1992 Source Book.”
Anthony S. Amoscato ’41 of Nutley and Spring Lake, N.J., died Sept. 3, 2005. He was a solo practitioner specializing in real estate and corporate law and a judge of the Nutley Municipal Court. He was also acting judge of the Belleville Municipal Court and treasurer of the Essex County Municipal Court Judges Association.
Richard P. Carroll ’41 of Yorba Linda, Calif., died Feb. 6, 2006. He was an attorney for 60 years.
Francis X. Reilly ’41 of Evanston, Ill., died Nov. 13, 2006. He was vice president and general counsel of Rollins Burdick Hunter, an insurance brokerage, in Chicago. During his career, he was vice president and treasurer of B.F. Goodrich Co. in Akron, Ohio, and Katy Industries in Elgin, Ill. From 1943 to 1946, he served in the U.S. Navy and was assistant counsel in the Bureau of Naval Personnel and Bureau of Aeronautics in Washington, D.C. He attained the rank of lieutenant commander and continued to serve for many years in the U.S. Naval Reserve. He was a life member of the Naval Order of the United States and a national vice commander, national recorder general and commander of the Illinois Commandery.
Alvah W. Sulloway ’41 of York, Maine, died Nov. 1, 2006. He began practicing law in Connecticut and was a partner at Cummings and Lockwood in Stamford. In 1960, he left the law to become an English teacher (and, later, head of the English department) at Moses Brown School in Providence, R.I. When he retired to Maine in 1970, he established the Maine Right to Know movement, winning a lawsuit which ended secret meetings of the Kittery, Maine, town council. During WWII, he served in the Office of Strategic Services, attaining the position of chief, secretariat.
William R. Carter ’42 of Madison, N.J., died Oct. 15, 2006. He was a partner at Brown, Wood, Fuller, Caldwell & Ivey and a director of the Checker Motors Corp. He was also president of Peter Tare Inc. and a trustee and elder of the Presbyterian Church of Madison. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Navy and was captain of a PT boat.
Allan R. Moltzen ’42 of Belvedere Tiburon, Calif., died June 29, 2006. A California lawyer, he was a solo practitioner specializing in probate and real estate law. He was director and chairman of the public affairs, patient rights and long-range planning committees of the National Mental Health Association.
Lino J. Saldaña ’45 of San Juan, Puerto Rico, died Dec. 12, 2006. A judge of Puerto Rico’s Supreme Court, he was appointed in 1955 by the first elected governor of Puerto Rico. He remained on the court until 1961.
Frederick Doppelt ’46 of New York City died Nov. 18, 2006. A lawyer for six decades, he was a solo practitioner specializing in the fields of estates, trusts and taxes. He was village justice of Saddle Rock, Great Neck, N.Y., for 30 years. During WWII, he was a lieutenant and navigator in the China-Burma-India theater.
Robert B. Corpening ’47 of Los Angeles died Aug. 12, 2006. He was a private practitioner in Los Angeles. From 1955 to 1975, he was chief legal counsel for TRW, and earlier in his career, he practiced law in New York City. He co-wrote “California Condemnation Practice” and served as a judge pro tem in the Los Angeles Municipal Court. During WWII, he served as a U.S. Navy officer in the South Pacific.
Joseph Edwards ’47 of Barnstable, Mass., died Oct. 6, 2006. He was a longtime partner at Bingham, Dana & Gould, now known as Bingham McCutchen, in Boston. He represented the First National Bank and the Boston Red Sox. During WWII, he served in the 1st division and later commanded an artillery battery during the Battle of the Bulge.
Robert R. Hurst ’47 of Bamberg, S.C., died April 29, 2005. He was chairman of the board of Phoenix Specialty Manufacturing Co.
William F. Quinn ’47 of Honolulu died Aug. 28, 2006. He was Hawaii’s last territorial governor, appointed by President Eisenhower, and its first elected governor in 1959. He helped transform Hawaii from a territory to America’s 50th state, and he urged land-use planning, decried the overbuilding of Waikiki and called for a planning commission. After government service, he went into private practice and served as president of Dole Co. from 1965 to 1972. He was chairman of the board of the Honolulu Symphony and the East-West Center. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Navy.
George R. Walter ’47 of Washington, D.C., died Oct. 17, 2006. An insurance executive, he was a longtime employee of Acacia Mutual Life Insurance. He joined the company in 1947 and was appointed assistant to the president in 1956. In 1969, he was named senior vice president, and from 1975 until his retirement, he was senior executive vice president. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Army and was responsible for personnel and matériel movements in the China-Burma-India theater. He attained the rank of major and was awarded the Bronze Star.
Harry H. Almond Jr. ’48 of Arlington, Va., died Jan. 19, 2006. An international law scholar, he was a senior lawyer and adviser in international law at the U.S. Department of Defense in the office of the secretary of defense. He joined the Defense Department in the late 1960s and worked on legal matters affecting outer space and the law of the sea. In the late 1970s, he represented the joint chiefs of staff at the strategic arms limitation talks (SALT II). He was placed on administrative leave in 1979 after he was alleged to have provided crucial information to a leading SALT opponent. A year later, he was exonerated of all charges but declined an offer to return to his former office. He lectured at the National Defense University at Fort Lesley J. McNair in Washington, D.C., and after retiring in 1993, he taught as an adjunct at Georgetown University.
George H. Esser Jr. ’48 of Chapel Hill, N.C., died Nov. 5, 2006. He was a consultant to public- and private-sector organizations on public affairs issues. In 1963, he was appointed head of the North Carolina Fund, a project designed to tackle problems of poverty and racism in the state. The fund developed a variety of programs across the state, including the North Carolina Volunteers, a service corps for college students. He helped establish the Legacies Fund to support the organizations that grew out of the North Carolina Fund project. Later, he was a program adviser for the Ford Foundation, executive director of the Southern Regional Council in Atlanta and executive director of the National Academy of Public Administration in Washington, D.C. In 1995, he received the North Carolina Philanthropy Award. At the time of his death, he was a board member of MDC Inc., a job-training program established by the fund in 1967.
Eugene Greener Jr. ’48 of Naples, Fla., died Sept. 25, 2006. He practiced law in Memphis, Tenn., and in Marco Island and Naples, Fla. He was on the board of Temple Israel in Memphis and Temple Shalom in Naples. He served in the U.S. Navy during WWII and later during the Korean War.
John E.D. Grunow ’48 of Old Greenwich and Stamford, Conn., died Oct. 18, 2006. He was vice president of Martin Marietta and president of its natural resources division. He began his career at Newmont Mining and was president of Atlantic Cement before joining Martin Marietta. He and his wife founded the Old Greenwich Tennis Academy, and he was president of Innis Arden Golf Club. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Army Horse Cavalry under the command of then Maj. George Patton and was later transferred to the U.S. Army Air Forces, where he was a flight instructor at Wright Field in Dayton, Ohio. In 1944, he was flying a B-24 Liberator bomber when he was shot down over Berlin, and was held prisoner in a camp in Poland for 18 months. He wrote a memoir, “Citizen Soldier.”
Joseph H. Koffler ’48 of Whitestone, N.Y., died Nov. 13, 2006. For more than 50 years, he taught at the New York Law School. He joined the school in 1950 and taught torts. In 2001, he was given the school’s Special Trustees Award in recognition of his teaching and scholarship. He retired in 2003 as professor emeritus. He co-wrote “Common Law Pleading.” During WWII, he served in the U.S. Army in the European theater.
Albert R. Mezoff ’48 of Delray Beach, Fla., died June 21, 2006. Formerly of Chestnut Hill, Mass., he was a civil trial/litigation attorney.
George C. Perkins ’48 of South Dartmouth, Mass., died Oct. 21, 2005. For 37 years, he was an attorney in New Bedford. He was a founder of the Waterfront Historic Area League in New Bedford and a chairman of the New Bedford Whaling Museum and the Swain School of Design. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Navy.
James A. Reed ’48 of Castine, Maine, died Aug. 23, 2006. Formerly of Longmeadow, Mass., he was a lawyer, investment banker and assistant secretary of the U.S. Treasury during the Kennedy administration. He founded an international financial firm in the mid-1970s. During WWII, Reed served in the U.S. Navy, where he befriended John F. Kennedy aboard a ship en route to the South Pacific. He later served as a special assistant to Attorney General Robert Kennedy, and in 1962, he joined the U.S. Treasury Department, where he worked on a reorganization of the U.S. Customs Service.
Paul H. Roney ’48 of St. Petersburg, Fla., died Sept. 16, 2006. A longtime St. Petersburg attorney, he was appointed to the U.S. Court of Appeals, 5th Circuit, by President Nixon in 1970. Eleven years later, when the jurisdiction was divided, Roney became one of the 12 original judges of the 11th Circuit. In 1986, he was named chief judge, and he held senior status beginning in 1989. A longtime pioneer for civil rights, he helped racially integrate the bar association in St. Petersburg. He began his law career in New York, and in 1957 he opened his own practice in St. Petersburg.
Vincent L. St. Johns ’48 of Pittsburgh died Nov. 28, 2006. A 20-year member of Pittsburgh’s law department, he researched assessment and tax exemption cases, assembled Pittsburgh’s code of ordinances and advised the City Council. Early in his career, he worked in the city’s Urban Redevelopment Authority before his appointment in 1971 to the law department. After retiring, he and his wife wrote a book of poetry, “Dragons Slain and Stars Whole.”
Walter B. Williams ’48 of Seattle died Nov. 9, 2006. A Seattle banker and state legislator, he was president and chairman of what is now known as HomeStreet Bank for more than 25 years. He was elected to the Washington state House of Representatives in 1961, and in 1963, he moved to the state Senate, where he served for eight years and worked to pass a public-works package for parks and infrastructure in King County. He was president of Mortgage Bankers Association and a director of Fannie Mae. He was also a chairman of the Woodland Park Zoo Commission, helping to revitalize Seattle’s zoo in the 1980s. During WWII, he served as a Japanese-language officer in the U.S. Marine Corps in Guam and Iwo Jima. He later was president of the Japan-America Society of the State of Washington.
William W. Wyse ’48 of Portland, Ore., died Dec. 11, 2005. He was founder of Wyse Investment Services Co., a Portland-based real estate investment company focused on commercial real estate investors. Prior to founding the company in 1988, he was a real estate and business attorney for more than 40 years at Stoel Rives in Portland.
Ralph D. Buck Jr. ’49 of Ivoryton, Conn., died Aug. 21, 2006. He was tax counsel and associate general counsel for Caltex Petroleum, a division of Chevron Texaco. He began his law career at Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison, where he practiced for eight years before joining Caltex. During WWII, he served as an officer with the U.S. Army in the Philippines.
George Hardy Rowley ’49 of Tennille, Ga., died Oct. 19, 2006. Formerly of Greenville, Pa., he was a trial lawyer and practiced law at Whiteman, Voorhies, Dilley and Keck. From 1950 to 1952, he was an assistant U.S. attorney for the Western District of Pennsylvania. For many years, he served as chairman of the Mercer County Courts’ Civil Rules Committee. In 1975, he was elected a fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers. During WWII, he served as a deck officer in the U.S. Navy.
George H. Babcock ’50 of Placentia, Calif., died Aug. 2, 2006. For more than 35 years, he practiced law in California. He was a partner at Parker Stanbury McGee Babcock & Combs in Santa Ana.
Stanley B. Cohen ’50 of Bethesda, Md., died Nov. 26, 2006. A communications lawyer, during his career, he was a partner at Cohn and Marks in Washington, D.C., a Federal Communications Commission attorney and a solo practitioner. During WWII, he was captured at the Battle of the Bulge and was imprisoned in Berga, a Nazi slave labor camp, and forced to dig tunnels. When the Nazis abandoned the camp on April 5, 1945, he was part of a death march before being rescued by American troops. Cohen received two Purple Hearts. His experience was reflected in the 2003 PBS documentary “Berga: Soldiers of Another War.”
Robert L. Maddox ’50 of Louisville, Ky., died Sept. 18, 2006. He joined what is now known as Wyatt, Tarrant & Combs in 1950 and retired as a senior partner. During WWII, he served in the 10th Mountain Division and was awarded the Bronze Star. He served on many corporate boards, including Whip Mix Corp., Nugent Sand Corp. and Eady Construction Co. He was a trustee and treasurer of Louisville Collegiate School and Lees Junior College in Jackson, Ky.
Stuart A. White ’50 of Bradenton, Fla., died Aug. 9, 2006. Early in his career, he was a partner specializing in patent litigation at Ward, Haselton, McElhannon Orme Brooks & Fitzpatrick in New York City. He later practiced law at Curtis Morris & Safford, also in New York City.
Harold M. Guzy ’51 of Fort Lauderdale, Fla., died Nov. 27, 2006. Formerly of South Orange and West Orange, N.J., he was a management consultant and an executive vice president of Mangel Stores Inc., a developer of shopping centers. He was active on the National Republican Senatorial Committee.
William Pendleton Hackney ’51 of Shadyside, Pa., died July 31, 2006. For more than 40 years, he practiced corporate law at Reed Smith Shaw & McClay in Pittsburgh, retiring as senior partner in 1994. He later was counsel to the firm. In the 1960s, he was a member of the Pennsylvania Constitutional Convention. He was vice president of the Pittsburgh Playhouse and president of what is now the Pittsburgh Center for the Arts. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Army Air Forces as a lieutenant and flew transports in the Pacific.
John H. King ’51 of Falmouth and Islesboro, Maine, died July 23, 2006. A trusts and estates attorney for more than 50 years, he began his career at Sherburne Powers & Needham in Boston and later formed his own firm, King & Navins, in Wellesley, Mass. He was a member of the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel. An avid golfer, he was club champion of every club he belonged to and was president and a trustee of the Francis Ouimet Caddy Scholarship Fund. He served in the U.S. Army Air Forces during WWII and was a judge advocate during the Korean War.
Peter S. Heller ’52 of New York City died Oct. 21, 2006. For nearly 40 years, he was a corporate lawyer at Webster and Sheffield, serving as managing partner for three years before retiring in 1990. An overseer of Harvard College, president of the Harvard Club of New York and vice president of the Associated Harvard Alumni, he was awarded the Harvard Medal in 1994. A chamber music composer, he studied under composer Stanley Wolff at the Juilliard School and was vice president of the board of the New York Philharmonic.
Richard L. Welch ’52 of Woods Hole and Belmont, Mass., died Nov. 6, 2006. A registered investment adviser, he was co-trustee of three trusts and chief investment counsel for Trustees and Investors Co. in Boston. Earlier in his career, he practiced law at Badger, Pratt, Doyle & Badger in Boston and was corporate counsel for Northern Steel Co. During the Korean War, he served as a lieutenant in the U.S. Army.
Fred Kilbride ’53 of Toluca Lake, Calif., died July 5, 2006. He was a solo practitioner in Burbank, Calif. From 1954 to 1968, he was a Los Angeles County public defender.
John A. Lodge ’53 of Nantucket, Mass., died May 26, 2006.
Stanley Rothenberg ’53 of Dobbs Ferry, N.Y., died Nov. 3, 2006. A partner at Moses & Singer in New York City, he worked on copyright and entertainment law cases, including ones involving “Rocky and Bullwinkle,” “Cats” and “Amos ‘n’ Andy.” He was president of the Copyright Society of the U.S.A. and chairman of the Association of the Bar of the City of New York. He wrote the books “Legal Protection of Literature, Art and Music” and “Copyright and Public Performance of Music” and taught at a number of law schools, most recently Fordham Law School.
Ruth (Schectman) Dreyfus ’54 of New York City died Aug. 23, 2006. For 40 years, she was a solo practitioner in Stamford, Conn. In 2000, she earned an M.A. in bioethics, medicine and society, and she later served as a member of the institutional review boards at Greenwich Hospital in Connecticut, the State University in Brooklyn and the Harlem Hospital Center. She also served as a member of the Center for Urban Bioethics Advisory Group and was a contributor to a monthly publication of the Hastings Center.
Judson A. Parsons Jr. ’54 of Summit, N.J., died July 18, 2006. He was special counsel to Laughlin, Markensohn, Lagani & Pegg in Morristown, N.J., and president of Orbiting Clef Productions, a music publishing and record sales firm. Earlier in his career, he was a partner at Dewey Ballantine.
Frederick G. Tate ’54 of Washington, D.C., died Feb. 27, 2006. Formerly of New York City, he was a partner at Rogers & Wells there. He joined the firm right after HLS, became a partner in 1967 and retired in 1992.
Barton P. Cohen ’55 of Leawood, Kan., died Dec. 11, 2006. A Kansas lawyer for 50 years, he was of counsel at Blackwell Sanders Peper Martin in Overland Park at the time of his death. He joined the firm as a partner in 1988. For the previous 20 years, he was a solo practitioner. He was a director of Metcalf Bank and was on the advisory boards of the Bleeding Kansas National Historic Site and the Johnson County Museum. He served in the U.S. Army in the Third Armored Division in Gelnhausen, Germany.
Robert D. Peckham ’55 of Athens, Ga., died July 19, 2006. A career military officer, he served in the U.S. Army from 1947 to 1968, attaining the rank of lieutenant colonel. He later taught for almost 20 years at the University of Georgia School of Law. During his tenure at UGA, he was director of the school’s Legal Aid and Defender Society. He also served as a judge pro tem for the Magistrate’s Court in Clarke County, Ga. He was counsel and a trustee of the Georgia Federal/Military Coalition and served on the Governor’s Consumer Advisory Board. A trombone player, he was a founding member of the Classic City Band of Athens, Ga., and president and director of both that organization and Windjammers Unlimited, a circus music historical society.
Julian L. Weber ’55 of New York City died Aug. 20, 2006. He was in private practice in New York City and was president of the National Lampoon.
Samuel Weinstein ’55 of Loon Lake, N.Y., died Dec. 7, 2006.
Merih O. Erhan ’55-’56 of Philadelphia died Aug. 9, 2006. A solo practitioner, she was an immigration attorney in Philadelphia for 30 years. Active in the Philadelphia Bar Association, she served on a number of committees and was the advisory editor of the Philadelphia Bar Reporter. She was also a volunteer for the Legal Clinic for the Disabled.
Joseph Handros ’56 of New York City and Southampton, N.Y., died Aug. 18, 2006. A longtime employee of General Electric, he joined the company as an attorney in 1956 and presided over major acquisitions, including Utah International and RCA. In 1990, he retired as vice president, deputy general counsel and joined the law firm of Arnold & Porter.
Arthur F. Abelman ’57 of New York City died Sept. 23, 2006. He was an intellectual property attorney at Moses & Singer in New York City, where he concentrated his practice on patents, trademarks and copyrights, and charities and other tax-exempt entities.
Roland William “Ron” Donnem ’57 of Charleston, S.C., and Shaker Heights, Ohio, died Oct. 4, 2006. He was senior vice president for law and casualty prevention at Chessie System Railroads in Cleveland. He also served as the company’s chief legal officer, merging it with Seaboard Coastline Railroad to form CSX Corp. Earlier in his career, he worked for Standard Brands in New York City, as director of policy planning at the U.S. Department of Justice’s antitrust division in Washington, D.C., and as an attorney at Davis Polk & Wardwell. After retiring from the law, he held executive positions at various real estate companies and was a founding board member of the Director’s Association of Sheraton Franchisees of North America. He served in the U.S. Navy as the chief legal officer aboard the USS Baltimore.
Ward M. Miller Jr. ’57 of Glen Ridge, N.J., died Oct. 17, 2006. He was general counsel of Nabisco Brands and Avon Products. He began his legal career at Carter Ledyard & Milburn before joining Standard Brands (now Nabisco Brands) in 1961. He became the company’s senior vice president and general counsel and was involved in the RJR-Nabisco leveraged buyout in 1988. He later joined Avon Products and retired in 2001.
Hartley James Chazen ’58 of Greenwich, Conn., died June 30, 2006. A specialist in securities, tax and transactional law, he practiced law for more than four decades and was the founding partner of Chazen & Fox in New York City. In 1959, he received an LL.M. with distinction from New York University School of Law, where he also taught. He was a captain in the U.S. Army Reserves and was stationed in Germany.
James E. Courtney ’59 of Fort Myers, Fla., died Nov. 30, 2006. He was vice president of international operations for M.A. Hanna Co. in Cleveland and retired in 1990 as vice chairman. After moving to Florida, he was president of the Mariner Group. Earlier in his career, he was a partner at Jones Day. He was a director of the Florida Gulf Coast University Foundation and Robb and Stucky Furniture Co., and director and treasurer of the Clinic for the Rehabilitation of Wildlife on Sanibel Island. He was also a published novelist. He served as a U.S. Navy officer in the Middle East from 1954 to 1956.
Herbert Parker ’63 of Fort Valley, Va., died June 23, 2006. He practiced law in Arlington, specializing in trusts and estates, and was vice president of First American Bank of Virginia. He was treasurer of the Optimist Club of Arlington, a civic youth service club.
George H. Link ’64 of Los Angeles died Dec. 14, 2006. A managing general partner of Brobeck, Phleger & Harrison, he joined the firm’s San Francisco office in 1964 and was named a partner in 1970. He was managing partner of the Los Angeles office from 1976 to 1992, when he was named general managing partner of the entire firm. A trustee and vice president of the California Historical Society, he was also chairman of the Pacific Rim Advisory Council, a trustee of the Berkeley Foundation Junior Statesmen and a director of the Ancient Egypt Research Associates.
William J. McGirr ’64 of River Forest, Ill., died Oct. 14, 2006. A longtime resident of Oak Park, he worked in the trust department at JPMorgan Bank and in the private client services area of the former Continental Illinois National Bank.
Edward F. “Ned” Hines Jr. ’69 of Andover, Mass., died Aug. 14, 2006. A partner at Hines & Corley in Lexington, Mass., he previously practiced at Choate, Hall & Stewart in Boston. He focused his practice on federal and state tax law, with an emphasis on representing owners of closely held businesses and taxpayers in disputes with the Massachusetts Department of Revenue. He was president of the Boston Bar Association, the Boston Bar Foundation and Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education.
Edward B. Kostin ’69 of Darien, Conn., died Sept. 30, 2006. A taxation advisory specialist, he was a managing partner at PricewaterhouseCoopers in Stamford, Conn., and during his career worked at many of the company’s offices in the U.S. and in London. After his retirement, he was a professor of tax policy and law at the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania and taught at Penn’s law school. From 1962 to 1966, he served in the U.S. Navy and was stationed in Adak, Alaska, and Yokoshuka, Japan.
Paul C. Irwin ’72 of Groton, Mass., died Sept. 8, 2006. An attorney and architect, he co-founded an independent youth soccer league, MAPLE, in 1993, helping it grow to nearly 500 teams throughout the state of Massachusetts.
John P. Lilly ’72 of Dallas died Dec. 4, 2006. A Dallas attorney for 30 years, he specialized in business and securities litigation and arbitration. Most recently, he was senior partner at Hurt & Lilly. From 1973 to 1976, he was a lieutenant in the U.S. Navy JAG Corps.
Douglas W. Jones ’73 of East Hampton, N.Y., died Aug. 9, 2006. He was a senior partner at Milbank, Tweed, Hadley & McCloy in New York City. A treasurer of Empire State Pride Agenda, he was also a board member of Lambda Legal Defense and Education Fund. He was the life partner of Louis A. Bradbury ’71 for 34 years.
Richard A. Barnett ’75 of Hollywood, Fla., died Nov. 27, 2006. A solo practitioner, he founded his own firm in 1981 and practiced in the areas of plaintiff personal injury and civil appeals and specialized in inadequate security, insurance coverage and medical malpractice. In 1978, he co-founded the Liberia Economic and Social Development Corp., a community development organization, which helped build more than 400 low-cost homes in Liberia. He was a board member of the Florida Initiative for Suicide Prevention, and he counseled a number of charitable organizations through the Beacon Program.
Joel Kirschbaum ’77 of New York City died Aug. 16, 2006. He was a board member of Bally Technologies in Las Vegas. From 1994 to 1995, he was chairman of the company’s board of directors, and since 2004, he had served as a member of the company’s office of the chairman. Earlier in his career, he worked for Kirkland Investment Co. and was a general partner at Goldman Sachs.
James Z. Pugash ’78 of Belvedere Tiburon, Calif., died Sept. 20, 2006. He was a co-founder and chairman of Hearthstone, an institutional investor in residential development projects. During the 1990s, he pioneered the concept of using pension fund money to finance moderately priced, for-profit housing in the United States. He was previously a special limited partner at Montgomery Securities, and he also served as vice president of Occidental Petroleum. He was founding chairman of the Homebuilding Community Foundation and founder and chairman of the board of Sonoma Jazz +, an annual festival of music, food and wine in California’s wine country.
Melissa (Lumberg) Zagon ’92 of Deerfield, Ill., died Jan. 2, 2007. She co-founded LUNGevity Foundation, a private provider of lung cancer research funds, in 2001, after being diagnosed with stage 4 primary lung cancer that had metastasized to her brain. She went on to serve as the organization’s president and chairwoman. A nonsmoker, she was a spokesperson for lung cancer research. She began her career at the Chicago office of Goldberg Kohn, where she was the first female partner in litigation. She later joined True North Communications as an employment lawyer. (For a Bulletin profile of Zagon, go to www.law.harvard.edu/alumni/bulletin/2003/summer/bf_04.html.)
Lynda Hendrix ’93 of Dunnellon, Fla., died Aug. 31, 2006. She was a director of the Spruce Creek Preserve, where she also served as president for six years.