1920-29 | 1930-39 | 1940-49 | 1950-59 | 1960-69 | 1970-79 | 1980-89 | 1990-99


Charles Poletti ’28 of Marco Island, Fla., died August 8, 2002. He served as governor of New York in the final weeks of 1942 and played a major role in the U.S. Army’s reconstruction of Italy after the fall of fascism. In 1943, after being named a special assistant to War Secretary Henry L. Stimson, he joined the 7th Army as a senior officer in the Allied Military Government of Occupied Territory to restore essential public services in Sicily. He later directed civil affairs operations in Naples, Rome and Milan. In 1945, he was discharged as a colonel and joined a Manhattan law firm as senior partner. He was appointed to the New York State Power Authority in 1955, and the power authority’s plant in the Astoria section of Queens is named in his honor. He also oversaw foreign pavilions at the 1964 New York World’s Fair. Earlier in his career, Poletti was counsel to the Democratic National Committee and counsel to Gov. Herbert H. Lehman, and he was elected to the State Supreme Court in 1937. He left the bench the following year when he was elected lieutenant governor with Gov. Lehman. When Lehman resigned in 1942, Poletti served as governor for 29 days before newly elected Thomas E. Dewey took office.

Charles T. Durgin ’28-’29 of Wilmington, Mass., died March 24, 2002.

Joseph L. Steiner ’28-’29 of Cincinnati died May 11, 2002. He co-founded Kenner Products, a company that made toys such as the Bubble Rocket, the Easy-Bake Oven and the Spirograph. General Mills acquired the company in 1967, and Steiner retired in 1971.


Thomas F. Wall ’30 of Torrington, Conn., died October 29, 2002. He was the Litchfield County state’s attorney from 1953 to 1972 and a public defender from 1948 to 1952. Wall also served as town attorney for Harwinton and Kent. At the age of 28, he was appointed judge of the Torrington Court. He was involved in many civic organizations, including the Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, YMCA, Torrington Historical Society and Heritage Land Preservation Trust. He was president of the Litchfield County Bar Association, vice president of the National District Attorneys Association, and vice president and later president of the Harvard Law School Association in Connecticut. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Navy as a gunnery officer in the North Atlantic and Pacific.

Oliver A. Pendar ’31 of Bridgehampton, N.Y., died September 19, 2002. He joined the United Nations in 1947 and held positions in the Secretariat, including in the Department of Economic Affairs and the Office of Conference Services. He also spent three years at the U.N. office in Geneva in the 1960s. After retiring in 1965, he spent several years as treasurer of the United Nations School. During WWII, Pendar was a commander in the U.S. Navy, stationed in London and later in Washington, D.C.

Joseph S. Rippey ’31-’32 of Rochester, N.Y., died July 28, 2002. An attorney for 68 years, he was a general practitioner who won all nine of the cases he argued before the U.S. Supreme Court. The grandson of two Civil War soldiers, he joined the Sons of the Union Veterans of the Civil War in 1948 and was the national commander in chief from 1963 to 1965. During WWII, he served as a lieutenant commander in the Pacific and in the office of the chief of naval operations.

Robert J. Feldman ’31-’33 of Washington, D.C., died August 1, 2002. He was an administrative law judge for the U.S. Department of Labor. Earlier in his career, he clerked for Judge Edgar Nathan and was an entertainment lawyer with clients such as Leonard Bernstein. During WWII, Feldman was a communications officer in the U.S. Navy.

Bailey Aldrich ’32 of Cambridge, Mass., died September 25, 2002. He was a chief judge of the U.S. 1st Circuit Court of Appeals and one of the nation’s longest-serving federal judges. Aldrich was first named to the U.S. bench in the District Court of Massachusetts by President Dwight D. Eisenhower in 1954, was appointed to the U.S. Court of Appeals in 1959 and was made chief judge in 1965. In 1956, he acquitted Leon J. Kamin, a Harvard research assistant who refused to name Communist Party members, of contempt of Congress charges, ruling that Sen. Joseph R. McCarthy’s committee had overreached by researching private industry. Earlier in his career, he was a trial lawyer at Choate, Hall and Stewart. He was president of the Fruitlands Museums, secretary and trustee of the Massachusetts Memorial Hospitals, and trustee of Boston University Medical Center and the Provident Institution for Savings.

Edward Burling Jr. ’32 of Washington, D.C., died November 29, 2002. He was a senior partner at Covington & Burling, the firm his father, Edward Burling 1894, helped found. He joined the firm in 1935. In 1964, he founded the Committee for Forward Looking Republicans, which worked for the nomination and election of liberal Republican candidates. He was a member of World Peace Through World Law Center and was active in the United Givers Fund, the Washington Opera Society, the Foundation for the Preservation of Historic Georgetown and the National Symphony Orchestra Foundation.

Seneca B. Anderson ’33 of West Falmouth, Mass., died June 21, 2002.

Albert Graves ’33 of Hope, Ark., died June 13, 2002. He practiced law in Hope at the firm his father established in 1902. He was elected mayor of the city of Hope when he was 25, the youngest ever in the city’s history, and served from 1935 to 1939 and again from 1941 to 1947. He was president of the Hope School Board from 1953 to 1957; chairman of the State Judicial Nominations Committee from 1978 to 1982; chairman of the board of directors of Citizens National Bank of Hope, now BancorpSouth; and chairman of the Hope Water & Light Commission. In 1978, he received the Hope-Hempstead County Citizen of the Year Award.

Raymond E. Jensen ’33 of Cape Elizabeth, Maine, died March 21, 2002. He was a founding partner at Jensen, Baird, Gardner & Henry in Portland. Jensen was a Portland city councilor, director of the Portland Boys Club, chairman of the Cumberland Bar Association, and president of the Woodfords Club and Portland Kiwanis Club.

Denison Kitchel ’33 of Scottsdale, Ariz., died October 10, 2002. He was a close friend and adviser to Barry Goldwater in his 1964 presidential campaign. As campaign manager, Kitchel drafted most of Goldwater’s policy statements and had a deep influence on foreign policy positions in the campaign, encouraging Goldwater’s enthusiasm for the North Atlantic Treaty Organization. An authority on constitutional, labor and international law, he wrote two books, “Too Grave a Risk” (1963), about the World Court, and “The Truth About the Panama Canal” (1978), on the consequences of agreements between the United States and Panama. Earlier in his career, he was an attorney at Ellinwood & Ross, which became Evans, Kitchel & Jenckes. He served in the U.S. Army Air Forces in England during WWII and was discharged as a lieutenant colonel.

Dudley W. Orr ’33 of North Branford, Conn., died December 20, 2002. He was a co-founder of Orr & Reno in Concord, N.H., and served as an acting attorney general, assistant attorney general, tax commissioner and state attorney for the Office of Price Administration. In 1962, he helped establish the New Hampshire Charitable Foundation, one of the nation’s first statewide community foundations and the first community foundation in northern New England. Orr was president of the New Hampshire Historical Society, helped found the Merrimack County Savings Bank and served on Concord’s planning board for 30 years. He was also trustee of Phillips Exeter Academy and chairman of Dartmouth College’s board of trustees. During WWII, he served in the Office of the General Counsel of the U.S. Navy.

Thomas W. Pomeroy Jr. ’33 of Cranberry Township, Pa., died December 17, 2002. Formerly of Ben Avon Heights, he was one of the seven founders of Kirkpatrick & Lockhart in Pittsburgh. He was appointed to the Pennsylvania Supreme Court by Gov. Raymond Shafer in December 1968, was elected to the court in 1969 and served until his retirement in 1978. Prior to joining the Supreme Court, he served on a committee to revise the state constitution, which led to a constitutional convention in 1967. After leaving the bench, Pomeroy returned to Kirkpatrick & Lockhart as of counsel and was a member of the governor’s commission to evaluate the nuclear accident at Three Mile Island. He received the American Judicature Society’s Herbert Harley Award for his “dedication to the effective administration of justice.” The professional development center in the Pittsburgh office of Kirkpatrick & Lockhart was recently named in his honor. Earlier in his career, he worked for Reed Smith Shaw & McClay. During WWII, he served in the Office of the General Counsel of the U.S. Navy, attaining the rank of lieutenant commander.

Leslie P. Fisher ’34 of Melbourne, Fla., died July 27, 2002. A longtime resident of Iron River, Mich., he was in private practice there, concentrating on trusts and estates. Fisher was director of the Iron River National Bank for more than 40 years and its legal counsel. A member of the Iron River Service Club and Iron County Engineers Club, he was also a benefactor of the Iron County Library and the Iron County Historical Museum. A gallery in the museum was dedicated as the Fisher Family Pioneer Gallery. Before attending HLS, he worked for three years for the Northern Trust Co. in Chicago. During WWII, he was a U.S. Navy lieutenant serving in the Pacific theater.

Sidney Leibman ’34 of New York City died July 15, 2002. He was an officer of Moskin Stores Inc., overseeing legal affairs for his wife’s family’s chain store business. A captain in the U.S. Army during WWII, he commanded a Signal Corps company attached to the U.S. Air Force in the European theater.

Clarence E. Sprague ’34 of Santa Ana, Calif., died July 16, 2002. He was a deputy district attorney for Orange County, president of the Orange County Bar Association and in private practice until his retirement. During WWII, he served as a naval intelligence officer in the Pacific theater.

William C. Blind ’35
 of Lancaster, Pa., died October 26, 2002. A longtime partner at Kelley, Drye and Warren in New York City, he was a board member of the Englewood Hospital Association and the Henry Farmer Foundation. He was a lieutenant in the U.S. Navy during WWII.

Walter S. Buehler ’35 of Montclair, N.J., died June 27, 2002. An attorney for 35 years, he worked for General Motors Acceptance Corp. in New York City, retiring in 1975. Earlier in his career, he worked as an attorney for the Southern District of the state of New York. He was admitted to the U.S. Supreme Court in 1961.

Homer G. Hanke ’35 of Greenville, Del., died April 10, 2002. He was legal counsel for Hercules Inc. in Wilmington for 24 years. A trustee of Colgate University, Hanke also served as director of the Wilmington Senior Center. From 1941 to 1946, he was a commander in the U.S. Navy.

Laurence H. Lougee ’35 of Shrewsbury, Mass., died November 24, 2001. He was a partner at Mirick, O’Connell, DeMallie & Lougee in Worcester beginning in 1956 and was of counsel from 1988 to 1997. He was a director of Guarantee Bank & Trust Co., which later became Conifer Group. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Navy in the Atlantic and Pacific.

Wilson W. Phelps ’35 of Fullerton, Calif., died April 16, 2002. He worked at the Southern Counties Bank in Fullerton, which his father organized along with several other banks. Phelps was later chairman of the board of the Independent Bank. In 1997, he established the Wilson W. Phelps Foundation, which benefited local organizations such as the Fullerton elementary schools, public libraries, and Boys and Girls Clubs. The Wilson W. Phelps Library Plaza in front of the main library was recently named in his honor.

Ralph G. Coburn ’36 of Walpole, Mass., died November 8, 2002. Formerly of Bedford, N.Y., he was a rear admiral in the U.S. Naval Reserve and a senior vice president at Merrill Lynch in New York City, specializing in mergers and acquisitions. He was president of the National Association of Real Estate Investment Trusts and director of the W.P. Carey Group of New York City. During WWII, he commanded a destroyer escort, the USS Emery, and served on Adm. Nimitz’s staff.

David R. Hensley ’36 of Valley Park, Mo., died August 9, 2002. He was a probate judge in St. Louis County from 1954 to 1966. Earlier in his career, Hensley practiced law in Montgomery City, was an attorney for the U.S. Department of Agriculture in Cincinnati and lectured on probate law at Washington University in St. Louis School of Law. He was in private practice until his retirement in 1981. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Navy in the Pacific.

Melvin J. King ’36 of Chardon, Ohio, died January 30, 2002.

Frederick B. Haddad ’36-’37 of Melbourne, Fla., died August 14, 2002. He was a U.S. Army lieutenant colonel, retiring after 20 years of service, and a civilian employee with the 2nd and 3rd Armies, East Coast, United States. He was honored by the city of Odenton, Md., as Citizen of the Year for his volunteer work in community development.

Madison B. Huffman ’36-’37 of Bassett, Neb., died August 7, 2002.

Gordon L. Wadmond ’36-’37 of Summit, N.J., died October 9, 2002. He worked for 25 years with the Beneficial Finance Co. in Peapack-Gladstone, before retiring as executive vice president in 1979. Wadmond was a trustee of Christ Church in Summit and Centenary College in Hackettstown, where he received an honorary doctorate of humane letters in 2000. During WWII, he was a captain in the U.S. Army’s 7th Regiment.

Joseph L. Dunn ’37 of Swampscott, Mass., and South Palm Beach, Fla., died April 15, 2002.

Robert F. Ebinger ’37 of Bexley, Ohio, died November 14, 2002. He was a co-founder of Alexander, Ebinger, Fisher & Lawrence in Columbus, which later merged with Porter, Wright, Morris & Arthur. For 65 years, he was a member of the Ohio State Bar Association. He served two terms as a member and chairman of the Ohio Supreme Court Commission on Grievances and Discipline. He was Franklin County director of the 1940 census. In the 1960s, Ebinger was president of the Columbus Town Meeting, also serving as a moderator of its Sunday morning broadcasts. In the late 1970s and 1980s, he was trustee and president of the Ohio Historical Society, and trustee of the Metropolitan Park Board and COSI. He served on the Bexley Board of Education and the board of the Columbus Academy. He was a special agent assigned to the Manhattan Project for the U.S. Army in WWII.

Peter Edge ’37 of Winnetka, Ill., died August 16, 2002. He was a partner at Arnstein & Lehr in Chicago. A birder and conservationist, he served Hawk Mountain Sanctuary for over 50 years as board member, secretary and president. During WWII, Edge was in the Coast Guard as a navigator aboard the USS Spencer in the Atlantic, Mediterranean and Pacific.

Edward Byron Hirst LL.M. ’37 of Cheyenne, Wyo., died August 20, 2002. He was a state senator and a prosecuting attorney for Laramie County. As prosecutor from 1943 to 1947, Hirst investigated and closed down gambling, prostitution, loan sharking and other illegal practices throughout Laramie County, winning the conviction of the mayor, chief of police and chief of detectives. He served on the 10th Circuit Judicial Conference in 1952 and was state senator from 1953 to 1956. In 1958, he co-founded Hirst and Applegate, from which he retired in 1993. He was a second lieutenant in the U.S. Army Infantry Reserve. He was a member of or held office in several organizations, including Rotary International, the Greater Cheyenne Chamber of Commerce, DePaul Hospital Advisory Board and the Francis E. Warren Air Force Base Civilian Advisory Committee.

George S. Pickwick ’37 of Mt. Vernon, N.Y., died September 15, 2002. He was a trial attorney in New York and served as a court judge for the village of Bronxville. Pickwick was on the board of governors of the Bronxville Field Club and was a tennis and platform tennis champion.

Thomas M. Raysor ’37 of Ruskin, Fla., died May 15, 2002. He worked at Raysor, Barbour & Iverson in Chevy Chase, Md., and its predecessor firms for nearly 50 years, focusing his practice on health care, and estate and trust law. Raysor served as general counsel at Sibley Memorial Hospital, the Methodist Home of D.C., the Healthcare Council of the National Capital Area, and the Masonic and Eastern Star Home of D.C. He was also president and trustee of the Legal Aid Society of the District of Columbia, director of the American Academy of Hospital Attorneys of the American Hospital Association and a delegate to the House of Delegates of the ABA. Raysor served as a civilian attorney for the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and was transferred in 1944 to the legal office of the Manhattan Atomic Bomb project in Oak Ridge, Tenn.

John W. White ’37 of Lincoln, Mass., died July 4, 2002. A trial lawyer, he was a senior partner at Parker Coulter Daley & White. He joined the firm in 1946, when it was Sawyer, Hardy, Stone, and Morrison. In 1966, he was special assistant corporate counsel to the city of Boston. He was also town counsel for Lincoln and chairman of its Board of Appeals. White served as trustee of the Robert Breck Brigham Hospital and the Cardinal Spellman Philatelic Museum. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Army. He was discharged as a lieutenant colonel and was awarded a Bronze Star.

Kalman L. Levitan ’37-’38 of Dayton, Ohio, died August 22, 2002. A rabbi and military officer, he served 30 years in the U.S. Navy and Air Force, retiring with the rank of colonel. He was a member of the U.S. Department of Defense Armed Forces Chaplains Board and served nine years as senior Jewish chaplain, advising the chief of Air Force chaplains on Jewish activities. He also founded and was first chairman of the Miniature Book Society of America.

Kenneth W. Brown ’38 of Southbury, Conn., died July 25, 2002. He was chief patent and licensing counsel at Cabot Corp., where he worked for nearly 30 years. He was also president of the Licensing Executive Society, the Harvard Musical Association and the Cambridge Boat Club.

David H. Levin ’38 of Hopewell Junction, N.Y., died May 11, 2002.

Douglas L. Ley ’38 of Belmont, Mass., died June 11, 2002. He was a partner at Ley & Young in Boston. During WWII, he served as a lieutenant junior grade in the U.S. Naval Reserve.

Howard E. Manning ’38 of Chapel Hill, N.C., died November 22, 2002. A litigation attorney, he was a senior partner at Manning, Fulton & Skinner in Raleigh, a firm he co-founded in 1954. Manning taught at the National Institute for Trial Advocacy, served as chairman of the State Board of Public Welfare during Gov. Luther Hodges’ administration and was assistant solicitor for the 7th Judicial District from 1947 to 1954. He was president of the Wake County Bar Association, vice president of the North Carolina Bar Association and a permanent delegate to the judicial conference of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit. During WWII, he served with the Office of Strategic Services. He ended his active duty with the U.S. Army in 1946, earning the rank of major. He continued military service with the National Guard and attained the rank of lieutenant colonel.

Walter E. Whitton ’38 of Redding, Conn., died August 24, 2002. During his career, he was chairman, president, publisher and chief financial officer of The Hour newspaper in Norwalk. He joined the paper in the early 1950s as legal counsel, was named publisher in 1970, and became chairman of the board and chief financial officer in 1991. He retired as chief financial officer in 1996 and served as a director until 1999.

Richard B. Dunn ’39 of Lenox, Mass., died October 2, 2002. He was vice president, general counsel and secretary of the former New England Power Association. Dunn joined NEPA as a utility lawyer in 1940, served in the U.S. Navy as a communications officer during WWII and then returned to the company, retiring in 1978. He served on the legal committee of the Edison Electric Institute and was president of Cushing Academy’s board of trustees.

Herbert S. Nusbaum ’39 of Los Angeles died April 15, 2002. He was vice president of Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios in Santa Monica in the copyright royalty administration division.

Mark O. Freeman ’39-’40 of West Hollywood, Calif., died May 29, 2002. He was a clinical psychologist in private practice.

Lloyd S. Greenidge ’39-’40 of Tryon, N.C., died August 27, 2002. He was an administrative law judge for the National Labor Relations Board in Washington, D.C.

Ward F. Porter ’39-’40 of Dunn Loring, Va., died April 11, 2002.


Thomas H. Dowd Jr. ’40 of Hingham, Mass., died May 26, 2002. He founded a firm in Boston focused on probate law in the early 1950s and later joined Hale, Sanderson, Byrnes and Morton, retiring as partner in 1991. Dowd served on the Hingham Historic District Commission for many years and was a member of the Hingham Historical Society. A tank battalion commander in Europe during WWII, he was awarded a Bronze Star. He went on to serve in the U.S. Army Reserve and retired as a lieutenant colonel.

Edward G. Guy ’40 of Somers, N.Y., died October 13, 2002. He had a 39-year career in the Federal Reserve System, where he was senior vice president and general counsel of the Federal Reserve Bank of New York. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Navy as an officer of the Office of Strategic Services in the Mediterranean.

Charles S. Whitman Jr. ’40 of New York City died June 25, 2002. A judge of the Civil Court of the City of New York for almost 30 years, he was also governor of the Society of Colonial Wars in the state of New York, president of the St. Nicholas Society of the City of New York and president of the Sons of the Revolution in the state of New York.

Solomon S. Mandell ’41 of New York City died August 10, 2002. He was a tax specialist with the accounting firm Kalish & Rubinroit and a lecturer at New York University’s Institute of Federal Taxation. Mandell wrote numerous articles on taxation and helped J.K. Lasser write his income tax guide in 1944. Earlier in his career, he worked as a tax lawyer for an accounting firm, and in 1943 he worked with the U.S. Treasury Department in the General Counsel’s Office in Washington, D.C.

Thomas R. McMillen ’41 of Winnetka, Ill., died September 17, 2002. A state and federal judge for 19 years, he was elected a judge of the Circuit Court of Cook County in 1966 and was appointed to the federal bench by President Nixon in 1971. In 1981, he presided over the prosecution of members of the Puerto Rican militant group Armed Forces of National Liberation, sentencing them to prison terms ranging from 55 to 75 years after they tried to rob an armored truck parked at Northwestern University. He also was chairman of the appeals board of the Illinois Law Enforcement Commission and served with the American Arbitration Association and the U.S. Conciliation and Mediation Service. Earlier in his career, he practiced at Bell, Boyd & Lloyd in Chicago. After retiring in 1985, McMillen was on the arbitration panel for the Illinois Labor Relations Board. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Army counterintelligence corps in France and Eastern Europe, earning a Bronze Star and a Croix de Guerre, one of France’s highest military honors. He was discharged as a captain in 1945 and served with the military reserves until 1952.

Harold L. Samuels ’41 of Falmouth, Mass., died July 28, 2002. He was an art dealer and self-taught art scholar who with his wife wrote or edited 10 books on art and history. Their books include a biography of the painter Frederic Remington, an encyclopedia of Western artists and two books on the Spanish-American War. They also edited a volume of Remington’s writings. In 1975, Samuels and his wife sold their company, American Leisure Products, which produced chess sets and puzzles, to devote themselves to their interest in American art.

Anthony P. Savarese Jr. ’41 of Garden City, N.Y., died August 5, 2002. A judge and assemblyman from Queens, he played a central role in outlawing wiretapping and legalizing bingo. In 1948 Savarese was elected to the New York State Assembly, and in 1955 he became chairman of the Joint Legislative Committee to Study Illegal Interception of Communications. He drafted a law that made it an offense for any third party to listen to or intercept other people’s private communications without a court’s permission. In 1967, he became a civil court judge and was named the city’s legislation representative in Albany. He became a criminal court judge in 1969, where he served until his retirement in 1991. During that time, he was an administrative judge of the criminal court in Queens County and an acting justice of the county’s Supreme Court.

John F. Bradley ’42 of Herndon, Va., died April 25, 2002.

William Klemm Stewart ’42 of Palm Beach, Fla., and Philadelphia died November 11, 2002. A developer of condominiums, he began converting apartment houses into condos in the 1970s and eventually converted buildings on Rittenhouse Square and in Newtown Square in Pennsylvania, at the Jersey Shore and in Florida. Active in Democratic politics, he was treasurer of the Pennsylvania Democratic Primary Campaign Committee in 1962. Earlier in his career, he worked as an accountant in New York City, specializing in taxes and real estate. During WWII, he served in the Coast Guard in New York.

Roland E. Shaine ’44 of Lexington, Mass., died December 22, 2002. A trial attorney, he worked at several Boston law firms, retiring from Friedman & Atherton. Earlier in his career, he worked for Warner & Stackpole in Boston and was elected to the Cambridge School Committee in 1949. In 1962, he argued a probate case in front of the U.S. Supreme Court. Shaine co-founded the Middlesex Canal Society, which is dedicated to the preservation and restoration of the 200-year-old Middlesex Canal.

Paul G. Gubbins ’45 of West Hartford, Conn., died August 24, 2002. He worked for F.H. McGraw & Co. and Colt Industries in New York City and in the Hartford area. He was general counsel for Chandler Evans, Colt Firearms and Pratt & Whitney Machine & Tool.

Richard G. Augenblick ’45-’46 of Arlington, Va., died May 12, 2002. He was a U.S. Navy commander, a real estate investor and a teacher of international baccalaureate courses at Washington-Lee High School in Arlington. Augenblick served in the U.S. Navy in the Pacific during WWII. After the war, he worked for American Express and then rejoined the Navy, where he commanded destroyers and taught at the Naval War College in Rhode Island.

Gordon T. Neale ’45-’47
 of Jamestown, R.I., died August 23, 2002. He was senior vice president of Rhode Island Hospital Trust National Bank. Director of Union Wadding Co. in Pawtucket and a board member of Rhodes on the Pawtuxet, Neale was also director of the Royal Order of Jesters, president of Hodges Lawton Charities and treasurer of Trinity Episcopal Church in Cranston. He was a master horseman. During WWII, he was in the U.S. Army Air Forces.

William S. Hodgson ’46-’47 of Cutchogue, N.Y., died September 21, 2002. For 35 years, he worked for the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, where he was a senior property representative. During WWII, he was a U.S. Army intelligence officer with the Americal Division in the Pacific theater.

Frank Voelker Jr. ’46-’47
 of New Orleans died January 29, 2002. He was the city attorney for Lake Providence, La., from 1950 to 1962 and a partner with McGlinchey Stafford in New Orleans. A member of the Louisiana Bar Foundation, he was named its Distinguished Attorney for 1995. He was also a fellow of the American Bar Foundation. During WWII, he trained pilots at the Pensacola Naval Air Station as a first lieutenant and pilot in the U.S. Marine Corps.

William S. Barnes ’47 of Concord, Mass., died April 14, 2002. A professor of international law at the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy at Tufts University, he was also a member of the International Law Collaborative in Cambridge.

Francis W. Brennan ’47 of Modesto, Calif., died November 26, 2002. He was vice president and general counsel for E. & J. Gallo Winery from 1972 to 1989. His public service included work with the Boys Clubs of America and the Essex County (N.J.) Park Commission. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Army Air Forces and was a prisoner of war at Stalag Luft I, Germany.

Thomas P. Ford ’47 of Palm Beach, Fla., died October 9, 2002. A partner at Shearman & Sterling in New York City, he was a director of the Owen Cheatham Foundation, E.L. Cord Foundation and W.M. Keck Foundation. He was on the board of trustees of Notre Dame Law School and Miss Halls School in Pittsfield, Mass. During WWII, he was a lieutenant commander in the U.S. Navy in the South Pacific.

Ralph L. Gustin Jr. ’47 of Wellesley, Mass., died August 10, 2002. He was general counsel for John Hancock Life Insurance Co. in Boston. Earlier in his career, he worked for McCutchen, Thomas, Matthew, Griffiths and Greene in San Francisco. Gustin was secretary of the board of directors of the United Fund of Greater Boston, president of the Association of Life Insurance Counsel, and vice chairman and first public governor of the National Association of Securities Dealers. He served in the U.S. Army Air Corps in the Southwest Pacific during WWII, attaining the rank of major.

Harman Hawkins ’47 of Shelter Island Heights, N.Y., died December 17, 2002. Formerly of Plandome, he was a partner at DeForest & Duer in New York City. A lifelong sailor, he had a racing and cruising career after WWII, sailing in the Newport to Bermuda Race. He later acted as a race judge and served as commodore of the Manhasset Bay Yacht Club. He was president of the U.S. Sailing Association, commodore of the Storm Trysail Club and board member of the International Yacht Racing union. He received the Herreshoff trophy for service to the sport of yachting and was named an honorary member of the Manhasset Bay Yacht Club. Hawkins was also counsel to the Manhasset Public Schools for 18 years, a founding member of the Shelter Island Educational Foundation and chairman of the board of the Gladys Brooks Foundation. During WWII, he served as a member of the U.S. Coast Guard’s Picket Patrol, sailing yachts on silent patrol on offshore waters.

George O. Stouffer ’47 of Whittier, Calif., died October 16, 2002. He was an attorney for the State Bar of California, prosecuting Watergate-era ethics violations. He was the founder and chief executive officer of Century Grinding, a company that made precision parts for the Southern California aircraft industry. During WWII, he was a pilot with the U.S. Navy and received the Navy Cross.

Harry W. Baughman ’48 of Yarmouth Port, Mass., died May 16, 2002.

William H. Cone ’48 of Savannah, Ga., died May 10, 2002. An attorney with the U.S. Department of the Navy, he served as legal counsel for the commandant in the U.S. Marine Corps in Washington, D.C. He completed 26 years of service with the Navy and was awarded the Navy Distinguished Civilian Award. He also worked for Lockheed Aircraft in Atlanta.

Edward D. Hicks ’48 of South Dartmouth, Mass., died July 29, 2002. He was an assistant attorney general for the commonwealth of Massachusetts and the founder of Perry, Hicks and McCawley in New Bedford. A member of the Massachusetts Bar Association for 50 years, he was also a director of the Pilgrim Church, president of the Old Dartmouth Historical Society Whaling Museum, and a trustee and former director of Compass Bank. He served as a city councilor in the 1950s. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Army.

George T. Kelton ’48 of Langhorne, Pa., died September 2, 2002. He was a judge on the Bucks County Court of Common Pleas for 15 years. He retired in 1992 and then served as a senior judge with the Commonwealth Court of Pennsylvania for five years. Earlier in his career, Kelton worked for 20 years for Eastburn, Begley, & Fullam, now Begley, Carlin & Mandio, in Oxford Valley, where he was involved in labor negotiations for U.S. Steel in Fairless Hills and was counsel for the Neshaminy Water Resources Authority. He was solicitor for the Bensalem school board for 16 years and president of the Bucks County Bar Association in 1972 and 1973. During WWII, he was a U.S. Army drill sergeant. He served in Japan during the occupation.

Robert M. Loeffler ’48 of Los Angeles died June 18, 2002. An expert on securities law, he reorganized the scandal-ridden Equity Funding Corporation of America life insurance and securities firm in the 1970s. He later established and managed the Los Angeles office of Jones, Day, Reavis & Pogue. Earlier in his career, he was senior vice president and general counsel of Investors Diversified Service based in Minneapolis. In 1987, Loeffler was board chairman, president and chief executive officer of Northview Corp., reorganizing the company after the insider-trading scandal involving former chairman Ivan Boesky. Since then, he was of counsel to Wyman, Bautzer, Kuchel & Silbert in Los Angeles.

Nicholas P. Flynn ’49 of Melrose, Mass., died September 2, 2002. He was an attorney for Harbridge House of Boston for more than 35 years, focusing his practice on government contracts. During WWII, Flynn served as a lieutenant in the U.S. Navy in the Pacific theater and was involved in the Normandy invasion.

Richard J. Graf ’49 of Kitty Hawk, N.C., died September 21, 2002. For 35 years he practiced law in Northport, Long Island. He also served as village attorney and volunteered as a fireman and chaplain. Graf retired to the Outer Banks of North Carolina, sang with the Barber Shop Chorus and volunteered at the Baum Center, doing taxes for senior citizens. During WWII, he was a captain in the U.S. Army Intelligence Corps in the China-India theater.

Thomas M. Haldorsen ’49
 of San Bernardino, Calif., died February 26, 2002.

Walter S. Robbins ’49 of Pocasset, Mass., died June 23, 2002. He was a partner at Robbins, Noyes & Jansen in Boston and a board member of the Essex County Gas Co.

George J. Solomon ’49 of New York City died December 29, 2002. A practicing attorney for over 50 years, he was of counsel with Kronish, Lieb, Weiner & Hellman in New York City, a firm he joined as a partner in 1982. He previously worked for 18 years at Poletti, Freidin, Prashker, Feldman & Gartner in New York City, where he was a managing partner for many years. After law school, he joined Telford Taylor ’32 and former HLS dean James Landis ’24 as an associate in Washington, D.C. In 1957, he joined Landis, Brenner, Feldman & Reilly, later Landis, Feldman & Reilly, in New York City, where he worked as a partner until 1964.

Robert L. Fischelis ’49-’50 of Concord, Mass., died June 18, 2002.

Herbert A. Fogel ’49-’50 of Hendersonville, Tenn., died September 18, 2002. An attorney in private practice, he was chairman of the board of Champions’ Marine Group.


Coleman L. Bornstein ’50 of Newton, Mass., died June 10, 2002. He was a partner at Bornstein & Rosenthal in Boston and a board member of Suburban National Bank.

Isadore M. Mackler ’50 of Stamford, Conn., died July 1, 2002. A practicing attorney for more than 50 years, he was a partner at Mackler & Gold in Stamford. He was Stamford’s corporation counsel for four years, creating a legal department at City Hall to centralize all legal files. He served as chairman of the Stamford Board of Finance, chairman of the 10th Charter Revision Commission and president of the Stamford Bar Association. In 1942, after the attack on Pearl Harbor, he enlisted in the U.S. Navy as a seaman and served on the USS Columbia and the USS MacDonough in the South Pacific, receiving eight battle stars.

Herschel A. Phillips ’50 of La Quinta, Calif., died May 17, 2002. An international corporate attorney and close associate of the late industrialist Justin Dart, Phillips was vice president for labor relations at Dart Industries Worldwide. He was a longtime member of the Employer Trustees of the Western Conference of Teamsters Pension Plan. As a paratrooper with the 17th Airborne Division during WWII, he led his company in a glider landing across the Rhine into Germany. He earned a Bronze Star and the Purple Heart.

William H. Angle ’51 of Taylor, Mich., died March 23, 2002.

Ernest D. Oakland ’51 of Daytona Beach, Fla., died June 11, 2002. He was an attorney for the federal government. A veteran of WWII, Oakland was injured at the Battle of the Bulge and received a Bronze Star.

Herbert L. Scharf ’51 of Woodmere, N.Y., died August 6, 2002. A sole practitioner, he focused his practice on antitrust and trade regulation. He also served in the U.S. Navy.

David G. Kilgour LL.M. ’52 of Clinton, Ontario, died June 17, 2002.

Sidney J. Spivak Q.C. LL.M. ’52 of Winnipeg, Manitoba, died July 8, 2002. A lawyer, businessman and politician, he was the member of legislative assembly for River Heights from 1966 to 1977. He served under three premiers and was leader of the Progressive Conservative Party from 1971 to 1975. He was chairman of the Canada-Israel Committee and held leadership positions with the Jewish National Fund, B’nai B’rith, Canadian Associates of Ben-Gurion University, Canadian Friends of Bar Ilan University and the Canadian Council of Christians and Jews. Involved in many of the major cultural organizations in Winnipeg, Spivak served on the board of governors of the University of Manitoba and as a director of St. Boniface Hospital. He was vice chairman and finance committee chairman of the St. Boniface Research Foundation and chairman of the Refugee Assistance Committee, resettling Vietnamese boat people in Winnipeg.

Jonathan F. Whetzel ’52 of Seattle died June 16, 2002. He served in both the state House of Representatives and Senate, playing a key role in the adoption of Washington’s first environmental laws, and supported the creation of the nation’s principal state environmental department. As assistant majority leader in the House, Whetzel got lawmakers to support clean air and water quality laws, establish the Department of Ecology, implement a permit system for new power plants and provide protections against pollution from strip mining. He was also secretary and later vice president of King Broadcasting from 1961 to 1973; executive vice president of Harbor Properties, a development company, from 1973 to 1980; and in private law practice from 1980 to 1998. He served in the U.S. Navy during WWII.

James P. Wood ’52-’54 of Orinda, Calif., died July 30, 2002. He was an associate editor of The San Francisco Examiner.

William Green ’53 of New York City died October 14, 2002. A U.S. representative from Manhattan, he served seven terms in Congress after winning a special election in 1978 to fill the seat vacated by Edward I. Koch. Earlier in his career, he was a lawyer for the Joint Legislative Committee on Housing and Urban Development. Green won a seat in the State Assembly in 1965 and made an unsuccessful bid for Congress in 1968. From 1970 to 1977, he was regional administrator of the federal Department of Housing and Urban Development. He served in the judge advocate general’s corps in the U.S. Army.

Robert A. Riegert ’53 of Birmingham, Ala., died July 2, 2002. He was professor emeritus at Cumberland School of Law, Samford University in Birmingham, where he taught for 25 years. He also taught at Southern Methodist University in Dallas. Riegert was one of the first Americans to earn a doctorate in administrative law from the University of Heidelberg in Germany. From 1943 to 1946, he was a first lieutenant in the U.S. Army Air Forces.

Edward H. Tuck ’53 of New York City died October 2, 2002. An attorney with Shearman & Sterling for nearly 50 years, he specialized in international business. He joined the firm in 1953 and was made partner in 1962. He set up its first overseas office, in Paris. Tuck helped found the French-American Foundation in the 1970s and served as president. He was awarded the French Legion of Honor for his service to French-American relations. He was also a founding board member of INFORM, a national nonprofit research organization. During WWII, he served in the U.S. Navy.

Marshall L. Zissman ’53 of Wilmette, Ill., died May 29, 2002. He was senior trust counsel for the First National Bank of Chicago.

John T. Chambers Jr. ’54 of New Orleans died August 1, 2002. An engineer, he worked for Louis Chambers Construction Co. and the Louisiana Department of Health. He was a U.S. Army veteran of WWII.

Paul J. Harriton ’55 of East Hampton, N.Y., died October 20, 2002. He practiced law in New York City for over 40 years. Harriton served in the U.S. Army during the occupation of Japan.

John K. O’Connor ’56 of Northfield, Ill., died July 7, 2002. A tax attorney with Lord, Bissell & Brook in Chicago for almost 40 years, he was chairman of the firm’s corporate tax department and executive committee. He served on the school board for St. Joseph’s Parish and was board president for the Wilmette Public Library.

Carl L. Zanger ’56 of New York City died October 6, 2002. A sole practitioner, he represented clients in a wide range of personal and business matters. From 1974 to 1977, he served as chairman of the Committee on Art Law of the Association of the Bar of the City of New York. Under his leadership, the committee helped shape legislation in New York and nationwide relating to artists and galleries. He served in the U.S. Army.

Frank R. Sherman ’57 of Sudbury, Mass., died March 31, 2002. An attorney in private practice, he focused his practice on civil law and litigation.

Edward R. Steefel ’57 of San Francisco died May 10, 2002. A founding partner at Steefel, Levitt & Weiss of San Francisco, he represented the San Francisco Redevelopment Agency and was instrumental in the development of many of the city’s institutions, including the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts, Pacific Bell Park, the Sony Metreon and the Gap headquarters. He was honored as a Member of the Year in 2001 by the Golden Gate chapter of Lambda Alpha for his contributions to San Francisco’s development. Steefel was co-president of the Yerba Buena Center and served on the boards of the Rhoda Goldman Plaza, Friends of Photography, Ansel Adams Center and the Endowment Fund of the San Francisco Jewish Community Federation.

Donald E. Biederman ’58 of Los Angeles died August 8, 2002. He was a professor and director of the National Institute of Entertainment and Media Law at Southwestern University School of Law in Los Angeles and a veteran executive in the entertainment industry. Biederman served for 17 years as executive vice president and general counsel of Warner/Chappell Music, the world’s largest music publishing company, and for a time as its executive vice president of business affairs. He wrote numerous articles on entertainment law and was a co-author of a casebook on entertainment law titled “Law & Business of the Entertainment Industries.” Prior to joining Southwestern’s full-time faculty in fall 2000, he taught there as an adjunct and was an instructor at UCLA. Earlier in his career, Biederman was a partner at Mitchell Silberberg & Knupp in Los Angeles, vice president of legal affairs and administration for ABC Records in Los Angeles and general counsel for CBS Records Group. From 1959 to 1962, he served as a legal assistance officer with the U.S. Army judge advocate general’s corps in Korea and New Jersey.

Eugene F. Prosnitz ’58 of New York City died July 31, 2002.

Alfred I. Puchner ’59 of Park City, Utah, died August 13, 2002. From 1988 until his death, he was a real estate investor and developer in Utah’s Park City and St. George areas. Beginning in 1982, he was president and chief executive officer of Far West Savings & Loan Association, Beach Savings Bank, and Investment Savings & Loan Association in Southern California. From 1961 to 1982, Puchner worked in various executive management positions at Chase Manhattan Bank in New York and London, Western American Bank (Europe) in London and Maryland National Co. in Baltimore. He began his career as a junior partner at the Milwaukee law offices of his father.

Francis C. Scanlon ’59 of Downey, Calif., died July 17, 2002. A public defender for 31 years, he retired in 1990 as chief deputy public defender in the Orange County Public Defender’s Office.


Gordon S. Ferguson ’60 of Glastonbury, Conn., died July 8, 2002. A partner with Tyler, Cooper & Alcorn in Hartford since 1968, he joined the firm as counsel in 1967, when it was Alcorn, Bakewell & Smith. Earlier in his career, he worked for the Internal Revenue Service in Washington, D.C., and with the former Connecticut Bank & Trust Co., supervising the trust department’s legal department. From 1952 to 1954, he served in the U.S. Army, mainly in Germany.

Richard M. Pfeffer ’62 of Baltimore died May 20, 2002. He was an attorney with the U.S. Department of Labor and the author of “Working for Capitalism.” Earlier in his career, he was a political science associate professor at Johns Hopkins University.

Richard J. Testa ’62 of Wayland, Mass., died December 3, 2002. A pioneer in high-technology and venture capital law, he co-founded Testa, Hurwitz & Thibeault in Boston in 1973. He was chairman of the firm and served as managing partner from 1973 to 2001. Earlier in his career, he was a partner at Gaston & Snow in Boston, where he advised Digital Equipment Corp.’s founder and financier. The National Law Journal recently listed him among the 100 most influential lawyers in the country. He was also a director of Teradyne and NewcoGen Group.

Paul Resnik ’63
 of Santa Fe, N.M., died May 20, 2002. A corporate lawyer, he worked for ITT in the United States and Europe. Earlier in his career, he worked for the U.S. State Department’s Agency for International Development, serving in Washington, D.C., and Uruguay. Resnik founded the Wine Bar in New York City and wrote “The Small Business Bible,” which was translated into several languages, later incorporating the principles described in the book into a joint project with Yale University to help inner-city children. He supported the School for American Research and the Southwest Literary Center, where a narrative center is to be established in his name.

Robert S. Miller ’64 of Lexington, Ky., died August 18, 2002. A partner at Miller, Griffin & Marks in Lexington, he concentrated his practice on real estate and land-use law, as well as commercial and equine law. He was a bar examiner for 17 years, ultimately serving as chairman of the Kentucky Board of Bar Examiners. In 1994, he served as a special justice of the Supreme Court of Kentucky and helped draft the opinion that approved the establishment of family courts. Miller also was a civil rights activist who helped plan the historic march on Washington led by the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. in 1963. He drafted the charter of the Lexington/Fayette County Urban League and was its first director, and he drafted the charter of the Lexington Human Rights Commission, serving as one of its first commissioners.

Alan I. Widiss LL.M. ’64 of Iowa City, Iowa, died February 28, 2001. A professor at the University of Iowa College of Law, he focused much of his scholarship on insurance and insurance law. He joined the faculty in 1965 and was appointed the Josephine R. Witte Distinguished Professor of Law in 1978. He also was a consultant and an expert witness on insurance coverage questions and was an adviser for the ABA litigation section’s task force on environmental litigation.

Lawrence D. Lee Jr. LL.M. ’65 of Carlsbad, Calif., died July 13, 2002. He was a professor at California Western School of Law in San Diego from 1971 to 2001. He also taught at Southern Methodist University and the University of Pittsburgh. At California Western he was instrumental in establishing the Al Simon Center for Telecommunications Studies, the forerunner of the law school’s present Telecommunications and Property Law Center.

John Matson ’65 of Greenwich, Conn., died July 8, 2002. An attorney at Ernst & Young in New York City for 25 years, he managed the litigation department and represented the firm before the Securities and Exchange Commission and other federal, state and professional regulators. In 1989, he appeared before the Supreme Court in Reves v. Ernst & Young, a case that helped establish the legal definition of a security. Before joining Ernst & Young, he was an associate and later a partner in Fleeson, Gooing, Coulson & Kitch in Wichita, Kan., from 1968 to 1976, and Ross & Hardies in Chicago from 1965 to 1968. After retiring, Matson worked as a legal volunteer assisting companies and individuals.

Ira Edward Yellin ’65 of Santa Monica, Calif., died September 10, 2002. A civic leader and longtime champion of historic downtown Los Angeles, he is best known for his restoration of Grand Central Market. He and a group of investors also bought and restored downtown Los Angeles’ landmark Bradbury Building, the Million Dollar Theater and the Metropolitan Water District headquarters. Earlier in his career, he was an attorney at a Beverly Hills firm for eight years before joining a real estate development and management company. In 1985, he established his own real estate firm, Yellin Co., focusing on downtown Los Angeles and other dense areas of the city. From 1996 to 1999, he was vice president of Catellus Development Corp. and directed the restoration of Union Station. Yellin was president of the American Jewish Committee. In 1966, he joined the U.S. Marines, serving just over a year before receiving an honorable discharge.

Alfred P. Bergner ’66 of Bethesda, Md., died September 24, 2002. He was in private practice in Washington, D.C., concentrating on federal taxation, estate and retirement planning, and probate. Earlier in his career, he was a partner at Wenchel, Schulman & Manning in Washington, D.C. Bergner was on the national board of the American Friends of Hebrew University and served as president of the Washington, D.C., chapter from 1988 to 1989. He founded the Alfred P. and Jane Bergner Family Scholarship at the Hebrew University in Jerusalem and served as a trustee of the Hebrew Home of Washington, D.C.

Lee J. Schwartz ’66 of Chicago died August 23, 2002. An attorney and legislative expert, he served as legal counsel to Jack Touhy during his tenure as speaker of the Illinois House of Representatives and to state Senate minority leader Thomas Arthur McGloon. He also advised Chicago Mayors Richard J. Daley, Michael Bilandic and Harold Washington. In the 1980s, he went into private practice, concentrating in municipal law. He helped craft the complaint by Friends of the Parks seeking to stop expansion of Soldier Field. Earlier in his career, he was a partner at Sidley Austin Brown & Wood.


D. Robert Webster ‘ 70 of Indianapolis died November 14, 2002. He was a managing partner at Bamberger & Feibleman and taught at Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis, Indiana University School of Business and Indiana State University. He was founder and president of the World Trade Center of Indianapolis, a director at the Indianapolis Economic Club and a recipient of the Sagamore of the Wabash award. He was previously a partner at Ice Miller.

Charles Himawan LL.M. ‘ 76 S.J.D. ‘ 78 of Jakarta, Indonesia, died May 11, 2002. He was a professor of law at the University of Indonesia and wrote 19 books, mostly on economic law. He was also a senior member of Indonesia’s National Commission on Human Rights and a consultant for P.T. Indulexo. Himawan was the first Indonesian to earn an S.J.D. from Harvard Law School.

Mary M. Hoag ‘ 76 of Raleigh, N.C., died March 5, 2002. She was deputy commissioner of the North Carolina Industrial Commission. During her career, she was an antitrust attorney, oil and gas attorney, and litigator on behalf of the Federal Savings and Loan Insurance Corp. in Houston. She also worked for Pennzoil Enterprise and Crown Petroleum in Houston and Sun Oil Co. in Pennsylvania and as a litigator for Davis, Polk and Wardwell in New York City. Earlier in her career, she served as a legislative assistant to Sen. Winston L. Prouty and as special assistant to then Secretary of Health, Education and Welfare Elliot Richardson ’44 (’47). She also worked in the White House Special Action Office for Drug Abuse Prevention.

Oki Ooko-Ombaka LL.M. ‘ 78 S.J.D. ‘ 79 of Nairobi, Kenya, died July 15, 2002. He was a member of parliament for Gem constituency in Siaya District, the founding director of the Public Law Institute in Nairobi and a law lecturer at the University of Nairobi. In 1991, he participated in the judicial commission of inquiry into the murder of foreign minister Dr. Robert Ouko.

John M. Stransman LL.M. ‘ 78 of Toronto died April 22, 2002. As a partner at Stikeman Elliott in Toronto, he guided some of Canada’s most powerful companies through takeover battles and securities scandals. Stransman advised MacMillan Bloedel when it was acquired by Weyerhaeuser Co. and helped Air Canada successfully defend itself against a hostile takeover bid by Onex Corp.


Timothy W. Joranko ’86 of Fairfax, Va., died June 5, 2002. He was deputy director of the U.S. Department of Justice’s Office of Tribal Justice and a former attorney for the city of Chicago. Earlier in his career, he was an associate at Mayer, Brown & Platt before joining the Peace Corps in Guatemala. He was a tribal attorney for the Cheyenne River Sioux Tribe in Eagle Butte, S.D., and briefly taught Indian law as a visiting professor at Wayne State University in Detroit. A memorial fund for the benefit of Joranko’s children has been established. Contributions may be sent to: Tim Joranko Memorial Fund, Northern Trust Bank, 50 S. LaSalle Street, B-2, Chicago, IL 60675.


Janet A. Viggiani ’96 of Mancos, Colo., died November 8, 2002. A resident of Malden, Mass., for nearly two decades, she was legal counsel and assistant to the president of Simmons College in Boston. Viggiani was an assistant dean for coeducation of Harvard College and a senior tutor in Harvard’s Adams House. She was known as the “dancing dean” to students and colleagues for her love of dance and guitar playing. She earned a doctorate from the Harvard Graduate School of Education in 1991. After graduating from HLS, she worked for Hill & Barlow in Boston. Earlier in her career, she was a career counselor and the assistant director of Radcliffe Career Services.