Skip to content

As a veteran, you may be eligible for educational benefits from the Department of Veterans Affairs through one of the many educational benefit programs offered by the VA. The Post 9/11 GI Bill® program (Chapter 33), is one of the most frequently used VA benefits by veterans. Under Chapter 33, students are provided funding for tuition, books, housing and required fees.

Harvard Law School is also proud to participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program, a provision of the law which created the Post-9/11 GI Bill. The Yellow Ribbon program allows institutions of higher learning to make additional funds available to fund tuition and fee expense that exceed the tuition and fees covered by the Post-9/11 GI Bill. Under the program, the Department of Veterans Affairs matches school aid contributions made to eligible veterans. Harvard Law School has agreed to contribute the maximum amount to be matched by the VA for all eligible veterans. The combination of federal and HLS grants is expected to cover the full cost of tuition and fees for the academic year.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at​gibill.

As of August 1st, 2019, Harvard University adheres to the requirements of and complies with S2248 PL 1150497 Section 103. Harvard University does not impose late fees on any student and will not impose a late fee on students utilizing Chapter 33 and Chapter 31 benefits. Additionally, Harvard University will not prevent a student from attending classes or demand payment in advance for funds expected to be paid by the VA until at least 90 days post certification. Under this policy, Harvard University defines a covered individual as any student that has notified the University that they are eligible to receive Chapter 33 or Chapter 31 benefits in writing prior to the start of the academic term in which they plan to use those benefits. Covered individuals will see the amount anticipated from the VA on their student account in the form of Anticipated Aid for Chapter 33 or a third-party deferment for Chapter 31. If the VA fails to pay 90 days post certification, Harvard reserves the right to require payment from the student directly.

Application Process

  • Post 9-11/GI Bill
  • Yellow Ribbon Program
    • Applicants for the Yellow Ribbon Program must receive 100% of the benefits under the Post-9/11 GI Bill and have remaining eligibility for the Yellow Ribbon program as established by the VA. It is also important to note that you may not receive Yellow Ribbon benefits while you are still classified as “Active Duty.”
    • Veterans who choose to receive the Yellow Ribbon benefits will waive their eligibility for need-based HLS aid, and will not be required to complete an application for HLS financial aid.
    • Additional VA benefits for veterans provide substantial assistance for living expenses. These benefits should cover academic year living expenses for most Yellow Ribbon recipients. However, Yellow Ribbon recipients may also apply for federal student loans to meet living expenses costs, if needed. Because Yellow Ribbon recipients do not receive aid through the need-based HLS aid program, this borrowing will not be eligible for assistance through the Low Income Protection Plan. Students who elect to use Yellow Ribbon benefits can instead participate in the Federal Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program
    • If you are a Yellow Ribbon recipient and want more information on applying for federal student loans, contact Student Financial Services at
  • Voc-Rehab
    • The process for applying for Voc-Rehab funding (Chapter 31) is different than applying for Post 9-11/GI Bill funding, as Voc-Rehab funding must go through “Third Party Billing” with the University.
    • Students eligible for benefits under Voc-Rehab funding will not need to submit a Notice of Student Enrollment to Student Financial Aid Services. Instead, you will need to submit either a paper application to the VA, visit your nearest VA Regional Office, or submit an application online to apply for your Voc-Rehab benefits. You will then need to have the VA complete and submit a Third Party Billing Form and a Third Party Billing Letter to the Student Accounts Office. You will also need to complete and submit a Sponsorship Information Release Form.
    • Application Links
  • Chapter 1606, Chapter 30, REAP, and DEA
    • Students eligible to receive these kinds of VA benefits go through a separate application process than student’s receiving the Post 9-11/GI Bill or Voc-Rehab.
    • You will still need to apply for your benefits directly with the VA, and receive a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) from the VA to turn into our office. You will need to contact our office and also submit a Notice of Student Enrollment to our office, as HLS will need to certify your enrollment at in order for you to receive your benefits.
    • All funds through these benefit programs go directly to the student. Students receiving benefits from these VA programs are eligible to apply for Need Based Aid. Funding through VA Benefits will be treated on the same level as an outside scholarship.
  • Housing and Book Allowances
    • Students receiving VA benefits to pursue education may be eligible to receive their Monthly Housing Allowance (MHA) which is essentially the same as the Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) for an E-5 with dependents. Your MHA will come to be a living stipend of approximately $3,042 a month. Students are also eligible for a book allowance for up to $1,000.
    • Please note, the MHA housing allowance is paid after the start of school, so the earliest that you will be paid your MHA is October. If you have any concerns about affording living expenses before your MHA is paid out, please contact our office.
    • Students still classified as “Active Duty” will continue to receive their BAH until they are no longer classified as active duty. Your BAH rate can differ from the standard MHA rate. You can use the BAH monthly rate calculator to determine your BAH.
    • Related Links: