To apply for SPIF funding, please follow the steps below. If you have any questions about the process please contact the SPIF Office directly.
Review the SPIF Orientation 2022 and complete the SPIF Registration Form. All students eligible for SPIF will receive an email notification when the SPIF Orientation and Registration Form become available.
Secure a SPIF eligible position for the summer and apply for Supplemental Funding.
Notify the SPIF Office of your summer 2022 plan (the forms for this step will be available once you have completed the SPIF registration described in Step 1):
- Complete the Summer Public Interest Funding Application on the SPIF tab of the SFS Self-Service Portal. This Application, along with the Employer Response Form in Step 4 comprise a completed application and must be received by April 8th, 2022 to ensure a disbursement of funding in early May.
- If you no longer plan to participate in SPIF, please indicate on the SPIF application that you do not want to receive SPIF funding, which will remove you from our email list.
This form, along with the SPIF Online Application Form in Step 3, comprise a completed application and must be received by April 8th to ensure a disbursement of funds in early May. Funding can only be requested once a month, so applications completed after April 8th will be disbursed as follows:
- Application completed by May 1, awarded in mid-May, funding disbursed June 1
- Application completed by June 1, awarded in mid-June, funding disbursed July 1
- Application completed by July 1, awarded in mid-July, funding disbursed August 1
In early April, you will receive notification of your SPIF award and will be directed to review a Power Point presentation with further details regarding the requirements of the program. There will be a form to complete on the self-service portal to confirm you viewed the presentation.
A few days after you receive your award email you will receive an email from firstname.lastname@example.org regarding setting up your Direct Deposit.
Students NOT using Federal Work Study: Stipend checks will be available or direct deposited in early May for those students who have completed the above steps by April 8th, 2022. We are only able to request stipend checks ONCE A MONTH, so, while you will remain eligible for SPIF, there will be a delay in the disbursement of funding as outlined in Step 4 for those students who miss the April 8th deadline.
Students using Federal Work Study: will have weekly paychecks direct deposited for hours worked, up to 40 hours per week. Instructions for students and supervisors on how to get on the payroll, submitting weekly time (students), and approving weekly time (supervisors) will be sent from the University’s Student Employment Office.
Throughout the summer students should keep careful records of their weekly hours. The Supervisor Evaluation and Time Log due September 16th can be found in Step 8.
In addition, students using Federal Work Study will enter hours worked each week into the University’s PeopleSoft payroll system.
At the completion of your SPIF placement, you will need to do the following:
- All SPIF recipients must complete a Site Evaluation in Helios regarding their summer placement. Access to the evaluation in Helios begins in mid-August. To complete the form you will need to navigate to the Public Service Summary in Helios and click the “evaluate” link next to the Summer Intern position. If your placement organization appears incorrectly, please contact the Office of Public Interest Advising (OPIA) to fix it BEFORE filling out your evaluation at email@example.com or 617-495-3108.
- All SPIF recipients must submit a Supervisor Evaluation and Time Log signed by their employer, verifying the number of hours they worked. These forms will be due September 16th, 2022 and will be made available mid-summer.
- If the above forms are not submitted by September 16th your student account will be charged the entire amount of your SPIF award; this charge will be removed once the documents are received. However, we will close the entire SPIF process October 15th, after which we will no longer reverse any charges. Additionally, the last day SPIF 2022 awards will be created is also October 15th.
For your convenience, we have worked with the HLS Pro Bono program to ensure all the information they need to process your HLS Pro Bono credit is included on the SPIF forms. Therefore, all paperwork should be submitted to the SPIF Office and we will forward copies to the HLS Clinical and Pro Bono Office; there is no need for you to submit duplicate paperwork to the Office of Clinical and Pro Bono Programs. HLS Pro Bono credit and hours will be processed in early fall.