To Apply for SPIF funding please follow the steps below. If you have any questions about the process please contact the SPIF Office directly.
Review the SPIF Orientation and complete the SPIF Registration Form. The SPIF Orientation is a Power Point presentation which outlines program policies and requirements and includes a link to the SPIF Registration Form. The Registration Form is due by February 8, 2019, however it will remain available online. Please note that while there is some flexibility on the Registration deadline this is NOT true of other SPIF deadlines.
- Secure a SPIF eligible position for the summer of 2019 and apply for supplemental funding.
- Start planning your summer budget! Use the SPIF Interactive Budget Tool to help you plan!
Notify the SPIF Office of your summer 2019 plan (the forms for this step will be available once you have completed the SPIF registration described in Step 1):
- If you have secured a SPIF eligible placement and plan to participate in SPIF you will:
- Complete the Summer Public Interest Funding Application on the SPIF tab of the SFS Self-Service Portal. This Application, along with the Employer Response Form in Step 4 comprise a completed application and must be received by March 29, 2019 to ensure a disbursement of funding on May 1, 2019.
- Submit a SPIF Direct Deposit Authorization Form. Be sure to fill out the Authorization Form completely, then attach the voided check before placing it in the drop box outside of the Student Financial Services office (WCC 5027); please disregard the note to send the form to Payroll. Non-US Citizens who will be working internationally should skip this step.
- If you no longer plan to participate in SPIF you will indicate on the SPIF application that you do not want to receive SPIF funding, which will remove you from our email list.
This form along with the SPIF Online Application Form in Step 3 comprise a completed application and must be received by March 29, 2019 to ensure a disbursement of funding on May 1, 2019. Funding can only be requested once a month, so applications completed after March 29 will be disbursed as follows:
- Application completed by May 3, awarded in mid-May, funding disbursed June 1
- Application completed by June 3, awarded in mid-June, funding disbursed July 1
- Application completed by July 5, awarded in mid-July, funding disbursed August 1
In early April you will receive notification of your SPIF award and will be directed to review a Power Point presentation with further details regarding the requirements of the program. Additionally, at that point you will need to drop off a voided check and completed Direct Deposit Form at our office so we can attempt to have your award direct deposited (Note, for tax purposes we cannot have the awards of non-US residents who are working internationally direct deposited).
Stipend checks will be available or direct deposited in early May for those students who have completed the above steps by March 29, 2019. We are only able to request stipend checks ONCE A MONTH, so while you will remain eligible for SPIF there will be a delay in the disbursement of funding as outlined in Step 4 for those students who miss the March 29th deadline.
Throughout the summer students should keep careful records of their weekly hours. We have a created an Optional Weekly Time Log students can use to record their time throughout the summer. The Excel sheet is for your personal record keeping ONLY and will not be accepted in lieu of or as an attachment to the Supervisor Evaluation and Time Log due on September 13th.
At the completion of your SPIF placement you will need to do the following:
All SPIF recipients must complete a Student Placement Evaluation in Helios regarding their summer placement. Access to the evaluation in Helios begins on 7/24/2019. To complete the form you will need to navigate to the Public Service Summary page in Helios and click the “evaluate” link next to the Summer Intern position. If your placement organization appears incorrectly, please contact the Office of Public Interest Advising (OPIA) to fix it BEFORE filling out your evaluation at email@example.com or 617-495-3108.
- All SPIF recipients must submit a Supervisor Evaluation and Timelog (PDF) signed by their employer, verifying the number of hours they worked. This form is due September 13, 2019 and will be made available mid-summer.
- If the above forms are not submitted by Friday, September 13th your student account will be charged the entire amount of your SPIF award; this charge will be removed once the documents are received, however, we will close the SPIF process on October 15th, after which we will no longer reverse any charges. Additionally, the last day SPIF 2019 awards will be created is also October 15th.
For your convenience, we have worked with the HLS Pro Bono program to ensure all the information they need to process your HLS Pro Bono credit is included on the SPIF forms. Therefore, all paperwork should be submitted to the SPIF Office and we will forward copies to the HLS Clinical and Pro Bono Office; there is no need for you to submit duplicate paperwork to the Office of Clinical and Pro Bono Programs. HLS Pro Bono credit and hours will be processed in early fall.