Student Financial Services manages financial aid and monitors student billing status for all JD students. Leading up to and during 1L Orientation, we ensure that all new JD students have obtained financial clearance to register for classes, and we issue cash advances to students whose financial aid credits exceed their fall term charges.
This page lists orientation requirements related to obtaining financial clearance and receiving a cash advance, and also describes basic financial aid requirements after registration. But first, you may want to review a few orientation-related financial aid terms worth knowing.
Prior to Fall Orientation, all entering JD students must:
- Obtain financial clearance by making a payment in full of the fall term student billing balance and/or securing sufficient financial aid to cover the full fall term student billing balance. We will send you an email confirmation when you have obtained financial clearance for the fall term.
- Login to HELIOS to confirm intent to enroll for the 2018-19 academic year and complete local address, permanent address, and emergency contact information on the Your Profile page.
- Submit all documents (college certifications, transcripts, health and immunization forms, etc) required by the JD Admissions Office.
All JD students are strongly encouraged to:
- Enroll in Direct Deposit on the Harvard University Billing System to have cash advances and refunds from your student billing account transferred directly to your bank account. It’s the quickest and easiest way to receive your money!
You are eligible to receive a cash advance if your anticipated financial aid credits for the fall term exceed the amount of charges billed. For students who qualify and meet the above registration requirements, cash advances will be issued by direct deposit. For students who have not signed up for direct deposit through the student billing system, cash advance checks will be delivered by US Mail to the local address on file with the HLS Registrar’s Office.
Prior to September 15, all entering JD students receiving financial aid must:
- Complete financial aid entrance counseling if receiving Federal student loan aid
- Complete any outstanding financial aid disbursement documents.
Student Financial Services will email you with more information about entrance interview and disbursement document requirements when it is time to take action.