Working remotely but not sure how to access your work related files or email? Visiting another school and need network access? Here are some tools you may need or want to use when working away from HLS:
- VPN – VPN allows you to connect to the HLS network in a secure manner so that you can access files on the HLS network drives, connect to Virtual Desktop, and access some Harvard applications. See Setting up VPN with Two-Step Verification for information on how to access and setup VPN on your home computer.
- Office365 – Office365 gives you access to all of the Microsoft Office applications from anywhere. To access the applications:
- Go to office.microsoft.com and click Sign In
- Enter your email address and click Next
- Choose “Work or school account”
- Enter your computer login password
- Choose the application you would like to work in
- OneDrive – OneDrive is a cloud drive that comes with Office365. You can save your files to OneDrive so you can access them from any computer anywhere. Sign into Office365 using the directions above and choose OneDrive to access your files.
- Email on your mobile device – Stop by the ITS Service Desk with your mobile device and they can help you set it up to retrieve your email.
- Virtual Desktop – Need access to an application that your department uses? Connect to Virtual Desktop for access to those applications and your department’s network printers. See the Virtual Desktop page for more information on how to use Virtual Desktop.
Access your Harvard applications
- Call Forwarding and Simultaneous Ring – You can forward calls to your home or mobile phone or you can set up your phone so it rings on your office phone and your home or mobile phone at the same time. You can turn these on in the Harvard Phone Portal. (Note: you can only access the Harvard Phone Portal if the phone number is assigned to your HarvardKey.) Please see the VoIP FAQ page for directions on how to set these up in the portal. Note: you can only turn on one of these at a time. You can also forward a call appearance on your phone (for example a shared department line).
- Remotely Conference into Meetings – All HLS faculty and staff have Harvard Zoom accounts. Please see Zoom Professional Accounts for Video Conferencing for information on how to access your account and use Zoom.
- Wireless Network Connectivity at other Higher Ed Institutions – If you are visiting another higher ed institution that is also a member of eduroam, you can access their secure