The ITS Service Desk offers laptops for temporary use by HLS faculty and staff. Currently, the loaner laptop pool is comprised of PC-based laptops and a limited number of Mac laptops. All loaner laptops include a standard operating system, with Microsoft Office and other standard applications.
The ITS Service Desk also offers wireless broadband cards for loan. All of the loaner laptops have standard wireless networking cards built into them, which can be used to connect anywhere with a wireless hotspot. Broadband cards are for use in areas where normal wireless connectivity is not available, but cellular service is available. Policies for loaning the wireless cards are the same as those for loaner laptops, except where noted.
This policy document provides ITS Service Desk customers with usage guidelines and an accompanying description of the procedure for requesting and obtaining a temporary loaner laptop.
Loaner laptop kits
Include a laptop, power cord, and bag. Mouse and network cable may be supplied by request.
Installed software list:
- Windows 10/Mac OS X
- Office 2013 (Access, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Outlook)
- Adobe Acrobat Reader and Acrobat Pro
- HLS/FAS VPN Client Software
- Internet Explorer
- Mozilla Firefox
- VLC Media Player
- Runtimes (Java, Flash player, Silverlight, .Net framework)
- Antivirus Software
- Remote desktop access for Virtual Desktop
Non-standard software will not be installed on loaners by the ITS Service Desk.
Loaner wireless broadband card kits
Include a USB wireless device, software, and instructions on installation.
Who can use loaner devices
The HLS ITS loaner devices are available to accommodate HLS faculty and staff who:
- Need the loaner device for professional purposes, such as field research or professional conference attendance. These devices are not for personal use.
- Need a loaner to continue productive work while their primary computer is being serviced
- Need use of a loaner device for up to two weeks.
Loaner laptops are only available to students during the exam periods. Wireless Broadband cards are only available to faculty and staff.
- Please use the bag or kit provided by the HLS ITS Service Desk and treat it as “carry on” luggage when flying. Please do not carry a loaner device in your suit case.
- Please keep food and beverages away from the device
- Do not store confidential (Level 3), or HRCI (Level 4) data locally on the device
- Please avoid touching a laptop’s screen as it is very sensitive and can be punctured if not handled properly
- Please do not remove any components from loaner devices
- Do not otherwise alter the device’s hardware
Check-out and Return
- Requests for loaner devices can be made by contacting the ITS Service Desk at least 24 hours prior to the intended pickup date and time. The ITS Service Desk will let you know whether your loaner request can be accommodated.
- Borrowers of loaner devices must complete a loaner agreement form when they pick up their loaner at the ITS Service Desk.
- Faculty and staff must present a billing code at or prior to check-out. Any fees or costs incurred while using the loaner devices will be charged to this budget.
- Faculty and staff may borrow loaner devices for a maximum two-week term. Requests to borrow for longer time periods require approval by the ITS Technical Support Services Manager. Unplanned loaner extensions must be requested online via the HLS Services Hub, phone (617-495-0722), or walk-in, and also require approval by the ITS Technical Support Services Manager.
- Students may borrow exam loaner laptops for the day of their scheduled exam and must return this equipment on the following business day.
- The computer hardware and software are checked and known to be in working condition at the time of checkout. Please notify the ITS Service Desk of any malfunctioning items as soon as they are discovered.
- Borrowers are responsible for bringing loaner devices back to the ITS Service Desk at the conclusion of the loaner period. Upon return of the loaner laptop and accessories, ITS staff will check, in your presence, to ensure that the device is being returned with all parts present and intact.
- Before being given to another customer, all data will be removed from a loaner laptop’s hard drive. Please be sure to backup, transfer, or delete any personal data from the laptop before returning it. The ITS Service Desk is not responsible for loss of customer data on the loaner under any circumstances, whether it is lost during customer use or after being returned to the ITS Service Desk.
- If you were given a loaner laptop by a TSS technician to cover downtime on your primary office computer, the technician will bring the laptop back to ITS when your own machine is returned to you.
Customer agrees to return the loaner laptop to the ITS Service Desk on or before the agreed return date.
If there is a theft, or if the equipment is discovered missing, the borrower agrees to notify the ITS Service Desk (617-495-0722) as soon as possible, to submit a police report with the proper authorities, and to otherwise assist with recovery of the equipment. The full cost of any unrecovered equipment will be charged to the billing code provided when the loaner equipment was checked out.
Customer agrees to return the loaner kit in clean and working order. Failure to do so will result in charges for cost of cleaning/damages/loss.
Customer agrees not to use HLS ITS loaner devices to commit electronic crimes. Software piracy is a crime. HLS will not be held responsible for any illegal software or media downloaded to the loaner and will fully cooperate with authorities if an investigation is initiated by them.
Customer agrees to follow the Harvard Information Security Policy.
Charges to Customer’s Bill Code
Customers are financially responsible for loaner devices and accessories. Customers who do not return loaner devices by the equipment return date will be charged for the replacement cost of the equipment, as follows:
- PC laptop: $1,100.00
- Mac laptop: $1,215.00
- Wireless Broadband Card: $249.99
If a loaner laptop and/or accessories are damaged, stolen, or lost while checked-out to a customer, regardless of the reason it is in a customer’s possession, the customer’s manager is notified, and the bill code given at loaner sign out will be charged the cost of repair or replacement.
Borrowers of Sprint broadband cards may use the cards at no cost for up to 2 weeks. After the 2 week loan period, customers will be charged for the data usage on the phone line attached to the card, as follows:
- After 2 weeks = $21.50
- After 3 weeks = $32.25
- After 4 weeks = $43.00
- etc., continuing on at a rate of an additional $10.75 per week