Spring 2021 • Course
Exam Type: No Exam
The primary focus of this experiential learning course is on developing mediation skills — as a mediator and also as an advocate in the mediation process. We will also focus on the theoretical, ethical, and doctrinal dimensions of mediation practice. The primary tool for learning will be weekly role play simulations, for which you will maintain a journal. You will also receive feedback on your performance in the role plays. In addition, we will use reading responses as a springboard for classroom discussion of topics relating to mediation, such as ethics issues, mediator credentialing, and critiques of mediation. Approximately 70% of class time will be devoted to preparing for, conducting, and debriefing mediation role plays using role play facts adapted from actual cases. The remaining 30% will be devoted to classroom discussion of the readings, which are organized thematically in the syllabus.
There is no required text other than photocopied materials.
Some seats are reserved for students in the spring Mediation clinic. Students who claim a clinical seat in this course will be enrolled in this course by the Office of Clinical and Pro Bono Programs. If a student in a clinical seat drops the spring Mediation clinic, they will also lose their reserved seat in this course. Please note that there is an early drop deadline of December 4, 2020 for spring clinical students in this course.