For the 2018 Spring term, 1L students must enroll in both an International/Comparative Law course and an upper-level spring elective. Registration for those courses will take place in two separate registration rounds; all course preferences will be entered via HELIOS.
1L Registration Information Sessions – Lunch from Sugar and Spice Thai will be provided.
- Monday, October 23rd at noon in Austin West
- Wednesday, October 25th at noon in Langdell South
The following information is aimed at helping you select courses.
International/Comparative Law Course Registration (Spring 2018)
- Begin entering course preferences: Thursday, October 26, 9am
- Course preferencing deadline: Monday, October 30, 5pm
- Students must rank all 7 courses in order of preference
Public International Law (Modirzadeh, Naz K.)
Public International Law (Blum, Gabriella)
Law and the International Economy (Wu, Mark)
Comparative Law: Why Law? Lessons from China (Alford, William Philip)
Human Rights and International Law (Neuman, Gerald L.)
The Legal Architecture of Globalization: Money, Debt, and Development (Desan, Christine Adrienne)
Comparative Constitutional Law (Jackson, Vicki)
Spring Elective Registration (Spring 2018)
- Begin entering course preferences: Thursday, November 2, 9am
- Course preferencing deadline: Tuesday, November 7, 12pm
- Participating students must rank a minimum of 5 and a maximum of 10 courses
Below you will find links to lists of elective courses relevant to each 1L section. Please note:
- You will see other Spring Elective courses on the HELIOS registration page, however, you should choose your preferences from the courses listed for your section in the links below. Any course not on your list is not available to your section because you are ineligible to enroll in the class. If you choose to preference a course not included in your section list below, you will waste a preference.
- By Permission (or “by application”) courses are not included in course preferencing; you must follow the instructions in the course descriptions of these courses in order to obtain permission to enroll. If approved for a by permission course, you do not need to enter preferences during the Spring Elective registration round. Please notify the Office of the Registrar if you are approved for a by permission course. Please note: not all by-permission courses are available to first year J.D. students (i.e., 1-credit reading groups).
Spring Elective Lists By Section:
The 1L Spring Elective lists are available below. We encourage you to have your section list with you when submitting your spring elective preferences to ensure you are selecting classes available to your section schedule.
Enrolling in the Spring 2018 Negotiation Workshop
1Ls interested in enrolling in the Spring Negotiation Workshop to fulfill the elective requirement can apply by following the application procedures found at the following link: http://hnmcp.law.harvard.edu/application-procedures-for-1ls/.
For questions regarding any aspect of Registration, please consider attending a Registration Information Session. Information Session dates, along with a full registration calendar and additional registration resources, can be found on the Registration Information page. Questions may also be directed to email@example.com.