- The number of HLS credits you will receive for a cross-registered course will be determined by the HLS Registrar’s Office. Per ABA regulations, cross-registration credits will be awarded for every 720 minutes of faculty-led lecture hour/mandatory class time. Please note, we are not able to round up when determining credits. For example, if a course meets for 2,040 minutes, you will receive 2 credits.
- It is important to note that there are exceptions this rule. For example, FAS language courses are limited to a max of 3 credits, and intensive language courses are limited to a max of 4 credits. Additionally, studio and field courses are limited to a max of 2 credits. Other exceptions deemed appropriate by the HLS Registrar’s Office may apply.
- The maximum number of cross-registration credits per semester for all HLS students is six.
J.D. Credit Information
- See Handbook of Academic Policies for information about credit requirements for the J.D. degree.
- J.D. students may count a maximum of 12 credits of cross-registration toward their degree.
- For 2Ls and 3Ls, you are eligible to cross-register if you are enrolled in at least 8 HLS credits (classroom, writing, clinical) in a fall or spring term in which you cross-register and your cross-registered course is worth at least 2 credits to meet the HLS semester minimum of 10 credits.
LL.M. Credit Information
- LL.M. students may count a maximum of 6 credits of cross-registration toward their degree.
- LL.M. students do not receive degree credit for language courses.
Credit Examples by Course Type
- 2L/3L = 2 credits per semester (meeting minimum of 2 lecture hours per week); 3 credits per semester (meeting minimum of 3 lecture hours per week); or 4 credits per semester (intensive courses only that are a full year of work in one semester)
- LL.M. = no degree credit for languages
- Based on minutes of required class time over the term. 720 minutes is equal to 1 credit, 1440 minutes is equal to 2 credits and at least 2160 minutes is equal to 3 credits.
For more information about cross-registration, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.