1920-29 | 1930-39 | 1940-49 | 1950-59 | 1960-69 | 1970-79 | 1990-99


Lawrence B. Damon ’24-’25 of Barnstable, Mass., died April 17, 2001. He cofounded the Boston insurance firm Storer, Damon and Lund, from which he retired in 1975. In addition to serving as alderman for the City of Newton and chairman of the Newton Community Chest (now the United Fund), he was a trustee and board chairman of the Boston Lying-In Hospital (now Brigham and Women’s Hospital) and a trustee of the Boston Museum of Science. He was a volunteer for the Coast Guard during WWII.

William N. Haddad ’26 of Winnetka, Ill., died April 6, 2001. He was a partner at Bell, Boyd & Lloyd in Chicago, where he concentrated in corporate, probate, and federal tax law and was head of the tax department. He joined the firm in 1926 when it was known as Fisher, Boyden, Kales & Bell and was a name partner from 1962 to 1981, when it was called Bell, Boyd, Lloyd, Haddad & Burns. He argued several tax-related cases before the U.S. Supreme Court during his career and continued working well into his 90s. Haddad took up tournament tennis at age 86 and played in over-85 and over-90 tournaments.

Jule E. Stocker ’29 of New York City died August 29, 2000.

Arthur Sweeny Jr. ’29-’30 died March 15, 2001, in Stamford, Conn. He was professor of organic chemistry at Hunter College and Lehman College. Upon his retirement he was named professor emeritus at Lehman College and an annual lecture series was endowed in his honor.


Charles F. Heidrick Jr. ’30 of Beaumont, Tex., died March 10, 2001.

William L. Broad ’32 of Fayetteville, N.Y., died October 9, 2000. He was a partner at Mackenzie Smith Lewis Michell & Hughes in Syracuse. He was also president of the Central New York Community Foundation and chairman of the board at Cazenovia College.

Mayer Koplovitz ’32 of Syracuse, N.Y., died December 15, 2000. He practiced law in Syracuse for more than 65 years.

John F. Varian ’32 of Orlando, Fla., died July 30, 2000. He was a retired partner and head of the probate department at Akerman Senterfitt & Eidson in Orlando. Early in his career he worked in his father’s Wall Street law firm and was a partner at Lewis, McDonald, Varian on Park Avenue. He also served as mayor of Shoreham, Long Island, in the 1950s. Varian fought in the D-Day invasion in Europe.

Robert V. Carton ’33 of Asbury Park, N.J., died February 11, 2001. He practiced law with his father and three brothers at Durand, Ivins and Carton and then its successor firms for more than 60 years. He also served as borough attorney for Interlaken, N.J., for many years.

Charles G. Briggle Jr. ’33-’34 of Springfield, Ill., died April 25, 2001. He practiced law in Illinois for many years. He also was an instructor at the Lincoln Law College in Springfield. Briggle was formerly special attorney for the state Department of Insurance, Republican precinct committeeman, parliamentarian for the Speaker of the Illinois House, and state senatorial committeeman. He served as a lieutenant in the U.S. Navy during WWII.

Donald R. Creighton ’34 of Cranford, N.J., died April 12, 2001. He was counsel to Palisade Savings Bank for 40 years. Upon his retirement in 1992, he retained the title of director emeritus. He also served as counsel to the Central Railroad of New Jersey, Hudson United Bank, and the township of Cranford.

Ray S. Donaldson ’35 of St. Petersburg, Fla., died April 9, 2001.

Joseph L. Frascona ’35 of Broomfield, Colo., died December 11, 2000. He was professor emeritus at the University of Colorado and a published author.

Louis Lisman ’35 of Burlington, Vt., died November 7, 2000. He was a lawyer in Burlington for more than 60 years.

Edwin P. Gordon ’36 of Fort Lee, N.J., died June 21, 2001. He was a sole practitioner in Union City, N.J., and a veteran of WWII.

Samuel Kalikman ’37 of Haddonfield, N.J., died April 9, 2001. He was senior partner at Kalikman and Masnik, based in Haddonfield. He practiced tax, corporate, and real estate law throughout his career, except during his years of active duty in the U.S. Naval Reserve during WWII. He was a navigator on a Landing Ship, Tank that landed British troops on Gold Beach on D-Day during the invasion of Normandy, and he served in North Africa and was in London during the Blitz.

E. Manning Seltzer ’37 of Washington, D.C., died April 18, 2001. In 1977 he retired after 21 years as general counsel of the Army Corps of Engineers, the Army’s first civilian general counsel. His 35-year career with the Army began with the Federal Works Agency and the office of the Army quartermaster general. Seltzer served as the Defense Department’s representative to the Interdepartmental Committee for the Revision of the Standard Form Construction Contract and as general counsel of the Society of American Military Engineers. His honors included the Meritorious Civilian Service Award, two Exceptional Civilian Service Awards, and the Army Commendation Medal. He helped establish a master’s degree program in environmental law at Georgetown University Law Center and for more than a decade was in private practice focusing on construction and environmental law. Seltzer served in the Army in England during WWII.

Milton I. Byer ’38 died March 16, 2001, in Cambridge, Mass. He was county attorney for Westchester County in New York. A Coast Guard lieutenant during WWII, he served as port captain of the American base at Bluie West One in Greenland.

Samuel S. Dennis III ’38 of Palm City, Fla., died August 1, 2001. He was a senior partner at Hale and Dorr in Boston, where he worked for 58 years. Dennis was a trustee of the Roxbury Latin School, a director and cofounder of Standex International, and a director of several charitable organizations. He served with the Army Corps of Engineers during WWII.

Max Isenbergh ’38 LL.M. ’39 of Washington, D.C., died March 10, 2001. He was a retired government lawyer and law professor. Spending much of the latter part of his government career on atomic energy matters, he was deputy general counsel of the Atomic Energy Commission, served the U.S. Department of State as a special assistant for atomic energy at the U.S. Embassy in Paris, and was a consultant to the International Atomic Energy Agency in Vienna and the European Nuclear Energy Agency in Paris. He later was deputy assistant secretary of state for educational and cultural affairs and chaired the U.S. delegation to the Conference on Protection of Cultural Property. Isenbergh was a visiting professor of law at the University of Virginia and at American, George Washington, and Yale Universities. He taught constitutional law, torts, and antitrust as a professor at the University of Maryland Law School. Early in his career he worked for the Federal Communications Commission, served as a law clerk to Supreme Court Justice Hugo Black, was an attorney with the U.S. Department of Justice, and was general counsel to the president’s Materials Policy Commission.

Robert Kramer ’38 of Mitchellville, Md., and Washington, D.C., died February 1, 2001. He was dean of George Washington University’s law school in the 1960s and 1970s. During his tenure, he presided over the creation of an endowment, the construction of a new law library, and the recruitment of faculty members, and he was instrumental in the promotion of clinical legal education. Kramer was an assistant attorney general during the Eisenhower administration and argued cases before the U.S. Supreme Court.

James O. Watts Jr. ’38 of Richmond, Va., died March 1, 2001. He practiced energy and securities law in his hometown of Lynchburg and successfully introduced natural gas into central and tidewater Virginia in 1950 as founder of Commonwealth Natural Gas. After serving briefly as company president, he became vice president and general counsel, the post he held until his retirement in 1981. An amateur golfer, Watts won the Virginia State Amateur Championship in 1938 and Senior Amateur Championship in 1974. During WWII he served in the Navy as commander of a submarine chaser.

Benjamin S. Asia ’39 of Seattle, Wash., died September 23, 2000. He practiced law in Seattle at the Coe Law Group, known as Franco Asia Bensussen & Coe until 1994.

Hugh R. Jones ’39 of Utica, N.Y., died March 3, 2001. He was a former judge of the New York State Court of Appeals. A member of the court from 1972 to 1984, he wrote the decisions upholding the state’s school-finance system, establishing the constitutionality of no-fault insurance, and striking down the prohibition of consensual sodomy. He practiced law in New York before and after WWII. In the 1960s he served on the New York State Board of Social Welfare and was appointed chairman by Governor Nelson Rockefeller. He later led the committee that reviewed the state’s prison system after the 1971 uprising at Attica. Resuming private practice after retiring from the bench, Jones joined Hiscock & Barclay in Syracuse and was with the firm until 1992.

Charles R. Norberg ’39 of Washington, D.C., died April 9, 2001. An international lawyer in Washington, D.C., since the 1950s, he was president of the D.C. Bicentennial Commission and the longtime Washington representative of the Inter-American Commercial Arbitration Commission. He began his law career in Philadelphia and later worked in the U.S. Department of State public affairs office and was assistant director at the White House for the Psychological Strategy Board. Norberg was with Morgan, Lewis & Bockius in Washington, D.C., before going into private practice in 1956. He was chairman of the board of the Inter-American Bar Foundation, the International Visitors Information Service, and the Mayor’s Committee on International Visitors. He served in the Army Air Forces in the China-Burma-India theater during WWII and later retired as a colonel in the Air Force Reserve.

Dwight C. Perkins ’39 of Lincoln, Nebr., died November 15, 2000. He was a partner at Mockett, Davies, Pace & Perkins in Lincoln and president of Farmers Mutual Insurance of Nebraska. Joining the latter as general counsel in 1946, he served as the company’s vice president before becoming president and later CEO and chairman of the board. Following his retirement in 1985, he continued to serve the company as chairman of the executive committee of the board. Perkins was also chairman of the National Association of Independent Insurers, and a director of First National Bank and Trust Co., FirstTier Corp., and Madonna Rehabilitation Hospital, all in Lincoln. Serving in the Judge Advocate General Division of the U.S. Army during WWII, he was stationed in Northern Ireland and England and completed his active duty at the end of the war with the rank of lieutenant colonel.

James W. Robinson ’39 (’40) of Broken Arrow, Okla., died January 21, 2001. He was a partner at Frueauff, Farrell, Sullivan and Bryan in New York for more than 30 years. After moving to Oklahoma in the mid-1970s, he worked as assistant general counsel for Cities Service Co. Robinson served in the U.S. Naval Reserve and attained the rank of lieutenant commander. He captained the naval Landing Ship, Tank 1033 in several Pacific theater battles during WWII, including Iwo Jima and Okinawa, and he commanded the first ship to carry medical supplies to Nagasaki, Japan, after the atomic bombing.


Arnold Gottlieb ’40 of West Palm Beach, Fla., died December 1, 2000.

William A. Moore ’40 of Glen Rock, N.J., died March 10, 2001. He was a partner at Satterlee, Stephens, Burke & Burke in New York City. During WWII he was a lieutenant in the Army Artillery with the 77th, New York’s Statue of Liberty division. He was a forward observer in both the invasion of Guam and the invasion of Leyte, and he received the Purple Heart.

J. Peter Williams ’40 of Newtown Square, Pa., died April 28, 2001. He was a lawyer in Philadelphia for more than 40 years, specializing in trust and estate law for most of his career. He worked at Barnes, Dechert, Price & Rhoads before and after WWII and then at Drinker Biddle & Reath, retiring in 1978 but continuing to work part-time until 1985. He also was a vice president at the Western Savings Fund Society for ten years. Williams was a past board member of the Philadelphia Foundation, Children’s Aid Society, Philadelphia General Hospital, the Seybert Institution for Poor Boys and Girls, the Philadelphia Orchestra, the Philadelphia Contributionship, and Lincoln University. He served in the Navy in the South Pacific during WWII.

Robert D. Kreider ’40-’41 of Salem, Ohio, died November 30, 2000.

Robert W. Clarke ’41 of Melbourne, Fla., died November 21, 2000. He practiced law for nearly 35 years at the firm that became Woods, Oviatt, Gilman, Sturman, and Clarke in Rochester, N.Y. He then moved to Boca Raton, Fla., where he continued to practice until retiring in 1991. Clarke was instrumental in bringing an American Hockey League team to Rochester in 1956 and went on to become one of the three owners of the Rochester Americans. He later became chairman of the American Hockey League’s board of governors, a position he held for more than 25 years. He was also a director and part-owner of the Western New York Hockey Club; a director of Rochester Transit, I. Gordon Realty, Monroe Abstract and Title, and the Freddie Thomas Charitable Foundation; and a director and president of the Isaac Gordon Charitable Foundation. Clarke served in the U.S. Navy during WWII, attaining the rank of lieutenant senior grade, and later became a commander in the Reserves.

George A. Mayer ’41 of Chenequa, Wisc., died December 15, 2000. A lawyer and stockbroker, he worked at Paine, Webber, Jackson & Curtis before becoming chairman of the board and CEO of Schwaab, Inc., the stamp and seal company that members of his maternal family started in Milwaukee in the late 19th century. He was also a former Wisconsin senator and Village of Chenequa trustee. He served in Army counterintelligence during WWII.

Austin S. Ashley ’42-’43 of Sudbury, Mass., died November 30, 2000. He worked at Bingham, Dana and Gould in Boston, focusing on admiralty law during WWII and then on corporate and banking law. He served the international and complex legal drafting needs of the First National Bank of Boston and became closely involved with the bank’s international operations.

Joseph P. Driscoll ’43 of Dallas, Tex., died March 28, 2001. In addition to operating several businesses, he worked in the U.S. Treasury Department’s Tax Legislative Council’s Office, was an associate professor at George Washington University Law School, and was a tax attorney. Driscoll was founder and chairman of Tyler Corp.; owner of Production Company Oil and Gas Properties in New Mexico and Stewart Fields in Texas; and chairman of Houston Complex, San Antonio Data Processing, Cadco Inc., and Midway Press. He was a Navy veteran of WWII and served in the Adjutant General’s Office in Washington, D.C.

Ralph B. Sussman ’43 of Millburn, N.J., died March 10, 2001.

Richard H. Schaffer ’46?-’47 of Vincennes, Ind., died April 26, 2001.

Edmund J. Kenny LL.M. ’47 of Northfield, Ill., died May 28, 2001. He was a partner at Winston & Strawn in Chicago. Kenny was a director of Catholic Charities of Chicago. During WWII he served as a lieutenant commander for the U.S. Coast Guard in both the Atlantic and Pacific theaters.

J. Richard Bockelman ’47-’48 of Chicago, Ill., and San Diego, Calif., died December 23, 2000. A practicing attorney, he was also founder and a leader of the Near North Association of Condominium Presidents, which promoted legislation and obtained discounts and benefits for the condominium community. He was also former owner of San Diego art galleries and a Chicago-area travel agency.

Malcolm R. Maclean ’48 of Savannah, Ga., died January 24, 2001. He was mayor of Savannah in the early 1960s and then practiced law at what is now Hunter, Maclean, Exley & Dunn, the largest Georgia law firm outside of Atlanta. As mayor, he oversaw the desegregation of public libraries and city rest rooms, and was instrumental in a church-led effort to create a committee of 100 business leaders that began a dialogue with black leaders. Before becoming mayor, he worked as an assistant city attorney for Savannah and was a member of its city council. During the course of his law practice, he represented the Chatham County School Board, Chatham County Hospital Authority, and Memorial Medical Center, and he was a former president of the Georgia Municipal Association. Commissioned as an ensign in the U.S. Navy in 1941, Maclean rose to lieutenant commander in WWII and earned a Bronze Star for extraordinary service in the North Atlantic and Mediterranean. He later returned to naval service as a commander during the Korean War.

Joseph M. Wahrhaftig ’48-’49 of Monticello, N.Y., died February 25, 2001. He was a businessman and lifelong resident of the Monticello area.

Dan F. Henderson ’49 of Seattle, Wash., died March 14, 2001. He helped develop the field of Japanese legal studies in the United States, and he started and then directed for almost 30 years the Asian Law Program at the University of Washington. He also served as a visiting professor at universities in the United States, Australia, England, China, Japan, and the Netherlands in a teaching career that spanned nearly four decades. He also authored or coauthored dozens of articles and a wide variety of books, including Conciliation and Japanese Law: Tokugawa and Modern, Foreign Enterprise in Japan,and Civil Procedure in Japan. Fluent in Japanese, Henderson served in the U.S. Army in WWII and became the head of censorship under U.S. General Douglas MacArthur’s occupational force in Hokkaido, Japan.

L. Richardson Preyer ’49 of Greensboro, N.C., died April 3, 2001. He served for many years in the U.S. Congress, Sixth District of North Carolina. He chaired the Select Committee on Ethics, which drew up the Congressional Code of Ethics, and the House Committee on Assassination of President Kennedy and Martin Luther King. Earlier in his career, in addition to serving as a city judge and a North Carolina Superior Court judge, he was appointed federal judge of the Middle District Court by President Kennedy in 1961, and he was later city executive for Greensboro at the North Carolina National Bank. At the time of his death, Preyer was cochairman of the Guilford Battleground Co., chairman of Coastal Futures Committee, and a trustee of Mary Reynolds Babcock Foundation, H. Smith Richardson Foundation, North Carolina Institute of Political Leadership, Woodrow Wilson Center (Smithsonian Institute), and the North Carolina Institute of Medicine. A lieutenant in the U.S. Navy during WWII, he received the Bronze Star for action in Okinawa.

Henry S. Streeter ’49 of Wenham, Mass., died May 4, 2001.

Aaron Rabinovitz ’49-’50 of Greensboro, N.C., died April 11, 2001. He was a cofounder of A&A Paperback Book Distributors in Holbrook, Mass., and then vice president/director of sales and marketing at Ballantine Books/Random House in New York City. He later worked for Pacific Stars and Stripes in Tokyo. He was a Japanese language officer in WWII and again in the Korean War.

Kimber L. White ’49-’50 of Newport News, Va., died March 15, 2001.


A. Gordon Westly ’51 of Makati, Metro Manila, Philippines, died in June 2000. He was a businessman for Edward Keller Inc.

George N. Caravasios ’52 of Wheeling, W.Va., died February 22, 2001. He was an attorney in Wheeling for 45 years. He served in the Korean War as an Army sergeant.

Richard B. Humbert ’52 of Corona Del Mar, Calif., died in March 2001 in Newport Beach, Calif. He was founding general counsel, director, and a member of the executive committee at Fluor Corp. in Aliso Viejo, where he worked for more than 20 years. He focused on engineering, construction, and mining law, and his work took him to more than 100 countries. He was also a board member of the Bowers Museum in Southern California and the Orange County Cancer Society.

James C. Currey Jr. ’52-’53 of Dallas, Tex., died June 30, 2000.

Milo E. Shadle ’53 of Oceanside, Calif., died April 7, 2001. He practiced law in Los Angeles and Vista, and was later a real estate broker in Vista, working most recently with his son in a real estate partnership there. His involvement in local civic affairs included the presidency of Vista’s Chamber of Commerce, where he championed the cause of controlled growth. He was also head of the Vista Redevelopment Committee, for which he spearheaded a campaign resulting in voter approval of a redevelopment agency to oversee millions of dollars in public improvements. He was inducted into the Vista Hall of Fame in 1992. He also served 11 years on the board of governors of Palomar College, which presented him an honorary degree for distinguished community service. He served as a machinist mate in the Navy during WWII.

Ernest J. Howard ’54 of Greenville, S.C., died October 22, 2000. He was the senior and founding partner at Howard, Howard, Francis & Reid in Greenville. He was also past president of the Greenville County Bar Association and a former federal prosecutor in the U.S. Attorney’s Office. He was a member of the first board for the professional paralegal degree program at Greenville Technical College.

Arthur Gussaroff ’56 of New York City died April 30, 2001. A partner at Szold & Brandwen in New York City, he was also longtime counsel to Amalgamated Housing Corp., Park Reservoir Housing Corp., and A.H. Consumers Society, and longtime counsel to and past co-op member of Penn South.

Thomas R. Remington ’56 of St. Louis, Mo., and Boca Grande, Fla., died March 16, 2001. He was former vice president and general counsel at General Steel Industries and chairman of Armstrong Teasdale. He joined the latter in 1973, when it was called Armstrong Teasdale Kramer & Vaughan, as a partner. He also served as a councilman in Ladue, Mo., and as president of the Ladue City Council. Remington was a captain in the Marine Corps in the Korean War.


Edward M. Abramson ’60 of New York City died March 18, 2001. He was a partner at Herrick Feinstein and a philanthropist. He provided legal counsel to Gould Investors and was also past president of the Friends of Bezalel, Israel’s National Academy of Art and Design; vice president of the board of directors of 910 Park Avenue; and chairman of Metropolitan National Bank.

Charles F. Moore ’60 of Dover, Mass., died April 18, 2001. A securities lawyer, he practiced law with Purcell and Nelson in Washington, D.C., worked in the legal department of John Hancock Mutual Life in Boston, and worked at Keystone Custodian Funds, where he served for a number of years as general counsel. He was practicing securities law in Cambridge at the time of his death. He served in the U.S. Navy aboard the USS Mitchell in the Pacific.

Jack M. Goldklang ’61 of Washington, D.C., died April 21, 2001. He was a Justice Department lawyer for more than 20 years, specializing in international law and spending much of his career as an adviser in the office of the legal counsel. He represented U.S. interests at the United Nations and at the World Court in The Hague in 1980 during the Iran hostage crisis. Early in his career he was a prosecutor with the Securities and Exchange Commission.

David G. Faris ’62 of Philadelphia, Pa., died March 9, 2001. He was a public-health physician for the Philadelphia Department of Health. His 25 years with the health department also included service as director of emergency medical services and chief of communicable-disease control.

Mebane M. Pritchett ’63 of Atlanta, Ga., died September 23, 2000. He was executive director of the John Motley Morehead Foundation in Chapel Hill, N.C., and the first president of the Coca-Cola Scholars Foundation, which he led for seven years before his 1994 retirement. Some of the Morehead scholars with whom he worked established the Mebane M. Pritchett Fund for Honors at the University of North Carolina. Early in his career he practiced law in New York.

Richard A. Hannaway ’65 of Stoughton, Mass., died April 7, 2001. He was an assistant district attorney in Suffolk County and then assistant clerk-magistrate at Suffolk Superior Court in Boston for many years. He was a veteran of the Vietnam War.

Martin I. Lubaroff ’66 of Greenville, Del., died January 1, 2001. He was a senior partner at Richards, Layton & Finger in Wilmington. He also served on committees as an expert on matters relating to partnerships, limited liability companies, and business trusts. He was a past president of the Jewish Community Center.

Roger N. Pyle ’68 of New York City and Palm Beach, Fla., died February 26, 2001. He was president of Global Capital Partners, a firm specializing in the initiation, structuring, and establishment of private equity investment funds. He was principally responsible for the establishment of more than a dozen such funds in Central and Eastern Europe, Russia, China, the Middle East, and the United States. Early in his career he was executive vice president of Investors Guaranty Fund, a Bermuda insurance company; managing director of Prudential Europe; and a vice president of Kidder Peabody & Co. He also practiced with Davis Polk & Wardwell in New York.


Justin D. Simon ’72 of Chevy Chase, Md., died April 5, 2001. He was a partner for more than 20 years at the firm now known as Dickstein Shapiro Morin & Oshinsky in Washington, D.C., where he served on the executive committee. He specialized in white-collar crime, health care law, and the defense of corporations and their officers in criminal, civil, and administrative proceedings; corporate compliance; and congressional investigations. Devoting a substantial portion of his practice to government contracts and health care for many years, he designed and assisted in the implementation of corporate compliance and business ethics programs for officers and employees of public companies, with special emphasis on the health care industry. Simon also represented witnesses from the Clinton White House during independent counsel and congressional investigations; the Democratic National Committee’s 1996 general chairman, Senator Christopher Dodd (D-Conn.), during inquiries into the committee’s fundraising practices; and former Senate minority leader Hugh Scott in an investigation by the Watergate special prosecutor. He began his career in the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Washington, D.C. He also taught at the National Institute for Trial Advocacy.

Jeffrey T. Graham ’74 of Jamaica Plain, Mass., died March 30, 2001. He was former director of government affairs and community investment for BankBoston. He joined the institution as senior public affairs counsel in 1983, when it was called Bank of Boston, and during his 17-year career there was responsible for its community investment portfolio throughout New England. He also acted as BankBoston’s liaison between local and national government officials, voicing community concerns and helping to develop programs designed to provide equal opportunity to low-income people and struggling small businesses, and he developed equal-access-to-lending programs in Boston, Providence, and New Haven. Graham began his career at the Michigan Department of Commerce and as an executive assistant to Governor William Milliken.

Rosemary E. Williams Hill ’74 of Malden, Mass., died May 18, 2001. She was a supervising criminal defense attorney with the Roxbury Defenders Committee and then a public defender with the Committee for Public Counsel Services.


Karin S. Newman Krueger ’91 of Bethesda, Md., died October 21, 2000. She was a lobbyist at the Motion Picture Association of America. Earlier in her career she was a legislative aide to Representative Dan Glickman (D-Kans.) and was in private practice with Preston, Gates, Ellis & Rouvelas Meeds in Washington, D.C.