Your first days at HLS
As a new member of the Harvard Law School community, we know that you may have many questions about the resources available to you. Below we have provided a simple check list of items to help you get started before you start and what you need to do during your first few days at HLS.
We hope that you find these steps helpful in finding your footing.
Before you start
- Complete part A of the Employee Form I-9, which will be sent to the email you used to apply to Harvard. Look for an email from HLS-Electronic I-9 within 30 days of your start date.
- The Human Resources office will then provide instructions on completing part B of the Employee Form I-9, which includes review of acceptable document(s).
- Register for a Virtual Harvard University Orientation, a one-hour presentation covering Harvard’s benefits, followed by a resource fair with representatives from our benefits vendors who are available to answer your questions.
- Become familiar with the HLS campus by viewing a campus map.
On your first day
- Information Technology Services (ITS) will provide you with your system access information, including your username and temporary password.
- All new hires are encouraged to participate in the Information Technology Services orientation. During the orientation, ITS will provide:
- Employee Laptop, charger, Backpack and HLS Phone Number (accessible via Jabber Softphone)
- Employee system access information, including your username, temporary password, and overview of laptop and peripherals available.
- Assistance setting up your account and devices.
- You can Claim your Harvard Key, which will allow you access to many online systems, including PeopleSoft, our Human Resources Information System.
Employees transferring from another Harvard school without a break in service should refer to the “Self-service” tab in PeopleSoft to review and update any benefits, transportation, or personal information.
On your second day
Sign into PeopleSoft and complete the new hire onboarding tile, available in the afternoon, including:
- Emergency contact information
- Sign up for the MessageMe, our emergency notification system
- State & federal tax forms
- Direct deposit
- Harvard Confidentiality agreement
- Benefits elections (must be elected within 30 days)
During your first few weeks
- Your Human Resources Business Partner will be a resource for you throughout your time at HLS. To ensure that you get to know who we are, all new hires are invited to meet with their Human Resources Business Partner. This meeting is an informal check in designed to make sure that you are getting the support and resources you need as your embark on your HLS journey.
- All new staff members are eligible to receive additional peripherals. For more information on standard hardware, eligibility, and how to obtain it, please visit the HLS ITS website. ITS encourages all new hires to evaluate their work arrangements and how they would like their equipment set up before requesting it.