September 15, 2022
The San Diego County District Attorney’s Office welcomes you to join our group of attorneys and staff who serve the community by prosecuting crimes, protecting victims and preventing crime. Our Spring Certified Legal Internship Program and Summer Fellowship Program (posted separately) provide invaluable experience to dedicated, diverse and passionate law students interested in pursuing a career in criminal law. Both programs offer opportunities to work closely with Deputy District Attorneys in all phases of prosecution; appearing in court, drafting motions, conducting legal research, and assisting with major case preparation.
The requirements and details for the Spring Certified Legal Intern Volunteer position are as follows:
- 2L/3L Status
- Completion of or concurrent enrollment in Evidence and Civil Procedure Courses (for CA State Bar Certification to appear on the record for attorney supervision in court)
- Minimum of 20 hours per week
- Grade Point Average of 3.0
- Subject to background clearance
- Unpaid volunteer position, but can be applied towards school credit
Highlights of both programs include:
- One-on-one mentorship
- Various trainings in criminal prosecution and how to work up a case
- Opportunities to learn about and work in various areas of prosecution such as Sex Crimes, Gangs, Domestic Violence, and Economic Crimes.
To apply for either position, please submit a (1) Resume, (2) Cover Letter, and (3) Official or Unofficial Transcript to your Career Services Office by your school’s application deadline. If you have previously worked for the San Diego County District Attorney’s Office, provide the names of any supervisors to whom you have previously been assigned or other DDAs from our Office who can speak to your work.
PLEASE INDICATE ON YOUR COVER LETTER WHETHER YOU ARE APPLYING FOR SPRING CERTIFIED LEGAL INTERN OR SUMMER FELLOW OR BOTH. IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO APPLY FOR BOTH, YOU WILL ONLY NEED TO INTERVIEW ONCE.
Cover letters addressed to:
Adriana Ross and Carder Chan, Hiring Deputies – Certified Legal Intern Program & Summer Fellowship
Office of the District Attorney
330 W. Broadway, Suite 940
San Diego, CA 92101
For general questions, e-mail us at email@example.com.