The Office of Communications maintains an electronic database of more than 11,000 current (1985-present) HLS images. This collection of professional-quality images includes photos of the faculty, student life, HLS buildings, and events. We also assist members of the HLS community and the media needing new photography.
HLS Photo Collection
For the HLS Community
The majority of the HLS photo collection is available to the HLS community free of charge for use in official HLS print or web publications. Please submit your request via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Communications Office maintains a list of freelance photographers. We are available to help you find the right photographer for your needs at HLS, elsewhere in the U.S., or abroad. Please note that it is crucial to consider hiring a photographer for your print or web project early in the event or project planning process. The best photographers are hard to get at the last minute. Please submit your request via email at email@example.com.
For the Media and External Audiences
- Please email any of your photo needs or requests to firstname.lastname@example.org; include your deadline, the type(s) of images you need, and information about where the images will be used.
Working with Outside Photographers and Film Crews
If you are using an outside vendor for photography or video on the HLS campus, please refer to the guidelines listed below. You should also make sure that the vendor is aware of these restrictions. (They will be asked to sign a release agreeing to these terms.)
Non-Harvard Law School affiliates must receive permission from the HLS Office of Communications before taking photos or recording audio/video on campus. This allows us to alert all applicable personnel, including Campus Police and ITS.
To request permission, non-Harvard Law School affiliates should submit the Harvard Law School Campus Photography/Recording Permission Request at least 72 hours before arriving on campus.
Please note these restrictions for photography/recording on the HLS campus:
- Students may not be photographed or filmed for any reason without express permission from the HLS Office of Communications.
- Classes in session may not be photographed or filmed for any reason without express permission from the HLS Office of Communications.
- For audio/video recording, we require signatures on Recording Agreements (available above) from each student, staff member and faculty member being filmed or recorded.
- The inside of buildings may not be filmed without express permission from the HLS Office of Communications. Filming the exterior of buildings is permissible, as long as there is no disruption to the campus and no students are filmed without permission. Photographers and film crews should always request permission by submitting the HLS Campus Photography/Recording Permission Request at least 72 hours before arriving on campus.
- The HLS Office of Communications reserves the right to review recorded material prior to its publication and we reserve the right to use the media for our own promotional purposes on our web site or via other channels.
- All recording should be completed in a timely and unobtrusive manner, without disruption to the academic environment.