Skip to content

Domestic Students who complete a FAFSA during the financial aid application process are automatically eligible for a Federal Direct Unsubsidized loan and will see it listed under their financial aid eligibility.  However, if you previously chose to cancel this loan and now wish to reapply for this funding, you’ll need to follow these steps.

  • If you have not already done so, submit the FAFSA for the correct academic year. We cannot process your Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan without a valid current FAFSA on file.
  • After you have submitted the FAFSA, submit the Adjustment Form to request this loan:
    • Log into the SFS Self-Service Portal
    • Under the Financial Aid navigation menu select Adjustment Form
    • Start a New Adjustment
    • For Adjustment Category select “Request, Report, or Decrease Funding”
    • For Adjustment Reason select “Request Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan”
    • Complete the remainder of the form and then hit “Submit”

Additional notes about the Adjustment Form

This form is academic year specific, so be sure to submit it for the appropriate academic year. After you submit the form once, you may click on the same link in the Financial Aid navigation menu to see the adjustment form view. In this view you can monitor your request, submit supporting documentation (if applicable), and submit additional adjustment requests.

GradPLUS borrowers: Before you apply for a GradPLUS loan, you must borrow the maximum federal direct unsubsidized (Stafford) loan first.