Skip to content


Harvard Law School will charge each student going abroad regular Harvard tuition for the period abroad; tuition costs for the foreign school should be billed to Harvard rather than to the student.

Students will be fully eligible for regular Harvard financial aid and student loans for the period of study abroad.

Travel and Living Expenses

The student is responsible for making their own visa, travel, and living arrangements (including health insurance) in the foreign country, and for all associated costs. The visa application process for many countries can be very long, and students often need to begin the process several months prior to departure.

Living and studying abroad can be expensive and the student should plan and budget accordingly. Additional costs, and those that may be higher than what would be incurred during a semester at HLS, may include plane tickets, short-term housing, food, local transportation, and course materials. To help defray these costs, the student will receive a budget increase of $1,500 as part of their HLS financial aid package. This increase is eligible for grant assistance.

A student’s spouse may accompany them while studying abroad, but it is the student’s responsibility to make all necessary arrangements to accommodate the spouse (e.g., housing, health insurance, etc.), bearing in mind any rules and restrictions of the foreign university.

Medical Insurance

The student must obtain adequate health insurance coverage from an approved provider before departure.

Blue Cross Blue Shield Waiver

The student may also wish to waive the Blue Cross Blue Shield and University Health Service fees, in which case a waiver application must be submitted  to the University Health Services Office (UHS). Please review and consult the UHS website and staff for detailed information regarding this decision and process. After the student has applied for the waiver, the University will submit the student’s name to the Law School Registrar’s office for verification of eligibility. The Registrar will then notify UHS that the student is eligible to waive these fees as a Traveling Scholar/Study Abroad student studying outside the country.

Travel Health and Safety

Registering Your Travel

Prior to international travel, HLS students must register the trip in the International SOS MyTrips platform. This enables the University to locate students quickly and provide assistance in the event of an emergency (such as natural disaster, civil unrest, etc.). Registering is required for all students traveling under Harvard auspices and strongly recommended for everyone. Students should record their information as soon as their trip is booked and then make sure the information stays up-to-date.

International SOS

International SOS provides medical and security advice and referrals and emergency evacuation services to Harvard travelers abroad. It is a supplement to (not a substitute for) health insurance and can provide medical and security assistance and evacuation services, and travel assistance including translation services, legal referrals, and lost passport advice, among other things.

HLS students spending a semester abroad should review the services provided by International SOS, and the detailed health and safety information provided on the HLS International Travel Procedures web pages, and take appropriate steps.

Travel Advisories

Students should be sure to review  U.S. State Department country information prior to participation in their semester abroad program. HLS will advise students of any changes in the safety of the country or travel warnings either prior to or during the semester in question.