Residence Hall License Agreement Cancellation Policy
Students are officially responsible for the room once they sign the HLS Housing residence license agreement. Penalties will not apply if a student does not sign the residence license agreement. Students who have made a room reservation for the new academic year at the Gropius Complex, North Hall, or Hastings Hall may be charged a penalty for canceling the room. The penalty fee will be applied to the student’s account and escalates throughout the summer. Fees for cancelling a resident hall room are:
- Until June 30, 11:59pm ET: No penalty or fee of any kind
- July 1-July 15, 11:59pm ET: $500 cancellation fee, but no liability for room fee
- July 16- July 31, 11:59pm ET: $500 cancellation fee plus full academic year room fee until room is re-filled in which case the cost will be $500 plus the pro-rated fee
- August 1 and through the academic year: $1,000 cancellation fee plus full academic year room fee until room is re-filled in which case the cost will be $1,000 plus the pro-rated fee
Apartment Lease Cancellation Policy
Students who have selected a room in the HLS Apartments consisting of 1637 Massachusetts Avenue, 3 Mellen Street, and 5 Mellen Street are fully liable and responsible for the room once signing their HLS apartment lease. Students who sign the HLS apartment lease and then decide to cancel are subject to a cancellation penalty and the cost of the room until a new reservation is made. The tiered cancellations mentioned above for the HLS residence license agreement do not apply to HLS apartment leases.
- Date HLS apartment lease is signed until July 31: $500 cancellation fee and the cost of the room until a new reservation is made.
- August 1 and through the academic year: $1,000 cancellation fee and the cost of the room until a new reservation is made.
Exceptions to Cancellation Policies
Students who have a reserved booking but will not be enrolled at Harvard Law School, may be granted an exception to the cancellation penalties. This includes:
- Deferring admission to Harvard Law School
- Withdrawing or declining admission to Harvard Law School
- An approved leave of absence
- Study abroad / joint degree program, which will cause the student to not be in attendance at Harvard Law School for one or both semesters of the academic year
To cancel housing for any of the above exceptions, the student must contact the appropriate office (JD Admissions, Office of the Registrar, Graduate Program, etc.) to initiate their leave. The student should ensure HLS Housing is notified by the appropriate office upon the leave/withdrawal is processed.
Cancelling your Room
To cancel your current housing assignment, please contact Housing@law.harvard.edu.
To cancel your HLS Housing Room License Agreement or Lease, please log back onto the Student Life Portal and open your housing application. You will find a “Cancel Application” option on the top right of your application.