Michael McCann is a Visiting Professor of Law at Harvard Law School.
Professor McCann is Director of the Sports and Entertainment Law Institute at the University of New Hampshire Franklin Pierce School of Law, where he is also Professor of Law. He has been an innovator in legal education, creating the first law school course on Name, Image and Likeness, producing an intellectual property and antitrust law course at UFC in Las Vegas and designing first-of-their-kind online programs. Professor McCann also built the Deflategate course during the controversy involving Tom Brady and the New England Patriots.
Recognized as one of the world’s leading experts in sports law, Professor McCann has authored more than 20 articles published in the Yale Law Journal, Boston College Law Review, Georgia Law Review and other journals. His scholarly writings have been cited as authority by federal appellate and district court judges, and he has testified as an expert witness at the U.S. Senate. Professor McCann has also collaborated with HLS Professor Jon Hanson on writing projects and programs.
Professor McCann is Editor of the Oxford University Press Handbook of American Sports Law and he and former NBA player Ed O’Bannon co-authored Court Justice: The Inside Story of My Battle Against the NCAA. Professor McCann also writes legal commentaries for mainstream audiences at Sportico and previously Sports Illustrated.
Professor McCann served on the legal team for college football star Maurice Clarett in Clarett v. NFL and has represented clients in antitrust, labor, employment and intellectual property matters. He received his B.A., magna cum laude, from Georgetown University, J.D. from the University of Virginia School of Law, where he was a Hardy Cross Dillard Fellow and Editor-in-Chief of the Virginia Sports and Entertainment Law Journal, and LL.M. from Harvard Law School.
- LL.M. Harvard Law School, 2005
- J.D. University of Virginia School of Law, 2002
- B.A. Georgetown University, 1998
- Marc Edelman, Michael McCann & John T. Holden, The Collegiate Employee-Athlete, U. Ill. L. Rev. (forthcoming 2023).
- John T. Holden, Marc Edelman & Michael A. McCann, A Short Treatise on College-Athlete Name, Image, and Likeness Rights: How America Regulates College Sports’ New Economic Frontier, 57 Ga. L. Rev. 1 (2022).
- Michael A. McCann, Missing Link: League Punishments of Team Executives, 66 St. Louis U. L.J. 293 (2022).
- Michael A. McCann, Jump Ball: The Unsettled Law of Representing College Basketball Stars and Monetizing Their Names, Images, and Likeness, 61 Santa Clara L. Rev. 177 (2021).
- The Oxford Handbook of American Sports Law (Michael A. McCann ed., 2017).