History of Lewis Law Center
The Lewis International Law Center building, designed by Shepley Bulfinch Richardson & Abbott, has operated since constructed in 1957. The International Law Center was originally a largely autonomous library housed in Lewis with stacks, an independent circulation desk, and a reading room. In 2021 the building was renovated and renamed the Reginald F. Lewis Law Center. The renovation created an updated learning and work environment for HLS students, faculty, staff, as well as law clinic clients and research affiliates. The project included a fifth floor addition, improved building entrance, a new circulation system, increased teaching and office space, and a high-performance façade. The renovation also addressed deferred maintenance, including improvement to major building systems and upgrading of all utility infrastructure. This renewed HLS academic building now accommodates flexible meeting rooms, collaborative areas, offices, and spaces for the Berkman Klein Center on Internet & Society, Harvard Law School Cyberlaw Clinic, and Library Innovation Lab.