Installing the Papercut MF Client in Windows 8 and Windows 10
IMPORTANT: Read and follow these instructions very carefully; if you miss a step, you’ll be unable to print.
- Download the Windows PaperCut installer and choose Run to launch the InstallShield Wizard
- When the PaperCut MF Client – InstallShield wizard window opens, click Next>
- The installation process should move quickly, installing the client and dropping the PaperCut printer driver on the desktop. Click Finish when you reach the screen that says it has completed.
- You will now see the Papercut printer driver on your Windows 10 desktop. Please do not delete this folder until you have mapped the print queues successfully.
Mapping Print Queues
- Open Devices and Printers
- Click The printer that I want isn’t listed to proceed
- Click on the bubble for Select a shared printer by name to enter the appropriate printer queue path as shown below:
- The Black and White queue path is http://lxpcutps1.law.harvard.edu:631/printers/HLS_BW_Ricoh
- The Color queue path is http://lxpcutps1.law.harvard.edu:631/printers/HLS_Color_Ricoh
- Click Next to continue
- The Add Printer Wizard window will appear. You will have to install the printer driver from your desktop. To do this click Have Disk…
- Click Browse… to locate the printer driver in the folder on your desktop
- The path should be: C:\Users\Public\Desktop\PC-Global-Print-Driver
- Click OK to continue and you will see the dialog box below
- Click OK
- You should then see a window indicating that you’ve successfully added the printer. Click Next to proceed.
- You can set this printer as the default printer if you would like. You can also print a test page at this stage, but you will be charged for printing this test page. Click Finish, and the printer queues will be available for use going forward!
Printing to Papercut Print Queues
First, make sure the PaperCut client is running. You may see the green icon in your system tray, and the client window in the bottom right corner of your desktop.
If it is not running, you will need to start the application. Search for PaperCut MF Client and click on that to open it.
When you send a job to a printer after installing and running Papercut, you’ll be asked for your HLS Me (LDAP) username and password. “For this job only” is all that is allowed in the “Remember:” field, which means you’ll need to enter your credentials for each print job you send.
After sending the job and successfully authenticating, you will see a message indicating that your document is being sent to the queue. A pop-up will display over your system tray indicating the job was sent to the queue.
You can either scan your ID card through the card swipe on the printer or enter your HLS Me (LDAP) credentials on the printer screen after pressing the “Username and Password” soft button. Once you do that, you will need to select which job(s) to release and print from the printer screen. You will not be charged until the job is released at the printer. *Please note: You can only release a color job at a color printer and a black and white job at a black and white printer. See student printer locations here.