You may back up your data as often as you like, as long as your computer is turned on and connected to the Internet. The easy-to-use Connected Backup PC/AgentTM Backup Wizard lets you set days and times for your backup to automatically happen.
Typically, a backup of 100mb can take from 10 minutes to 15 minutes. Each successive backup thereafter will take less than 6 minutes because only the incremental changes need to be compressed, encrypted and backed up. However, you can check email or perform other computing activities while your backup takes place.
The easiest way to confirm that your backups are taking place is to check the logs. Here’s how:
- Open Connected Backup PC
- In the top center of the window, “Last Backup:” will show the date of the most recent successfully completed backup
- If you click on the date, it will take you to View History, which will show a list of all backed up files
The Connected Backup service is intended to protect your critical data files, not the commercial software that you install from disk or CD. If you were to have a system crash that destroyed your software you would be better off re-installing your software.
We recommend that you do not back up multi-media files. Their size and sheer volume would make it time consuming to restore via the Internet. Network shares cannot be backed up.
When you open Connected Backup, it will open to the Back Up window; in the left panel will be the list of all user accounts on the computer, and on the right will be a window that shows what files are currently selected for being backed up for the user account that is currently selected:
- If only part of a folder is being backed up, a green triangle icon will be next to the folder. If you wish to back up everything in that folder, click on the green icon to make it a green check instead.
- If a folder is being completely backed up, it will have a green check next to it. If you do not want to back up that folder, click on the green check, which will remove it. Nothing in that folder will be included in the next back-up.
- If you want to backup some of the contents of a folder, double click on the folder to browse down into it. Within the folder, click the check box next to any item that you wish to have included in the next back-up set.
File management is automatic. The Connected software vendor maintains the following data retention settings on their backup systems for HLS:
- Files older than 10 versions or 90 days are deleted, but your most recent version is always kept
- Files that have been deleted from your system will be deleted from the backup system for 90 days later
- Files that you backed up then de-selected from your backup set will be deleted after 7 days
When you open your account, it is assigned to a mirrored pair of backup systems that are geographically separate. Since the backup systems are identical, backups and restores can be made to or from either one of them. The software automatically handles the connection for you. The redundancy of a mirrored pair increases the security of your stored data. Additionally, the backup systems are themselves backed up. Further, duplication permits maintenance to be performed without interrupting the service.