Your browser does not support JavaScript


Harvard Law School charges each student going to Cambridge regular HLS tuition for the period abroad; tuition costs for Cambridge are billed to Harvard rather than to the student.

Students apply for financial aid in the same manner as in previous years at HLS without the need to file a FAFSA since students will be award Harvard Law School loans in place of federal loans for the period of study at Cambridge University.

Students interested in LIPP assistance for loans taken out during their year at Cambridge will be eligible accordingly: Half the year will be eligible for LIPP under the regular guidelines, and the other half will be eligible under the joint degree guidelines.

Travel and Living Expenses

Students are responsible for making their own visa and travel arrangements to the United Kingdom and for all associated costs. Students may obtain visas through the closest British Consulate or see

Living and studying abroad can be expensive and students should plan and budget accordingly. To help defray these costs, students in the HLS/Cambridge program receive a budget increase of $3,500. For more details on financial aid packages for participants in the HLS/Cambridge program, please see the JD Financial Services website or contact Denise Ryan.

Housing in one of the “colleges” will be arranged by Cambridge once the student has been offered a position; students are responsible for housing costs.

Medical Insurance

A student must obtain adequate health insurance coverage from an approved provider before departure.

Insurance Waiver

The student may also wish to waive the Blue Cross Blue Shield and University Health Service fees. If, after reviewing all of the options, the student chooses to waive one or more of these fees, s/he must take action by submitting a waiver application to the University Health Services Office. Please review and consult the UHS staff and website for detailed information regarding this decision and process. After the application waiver has been received, the University will submit the student’s name to the Law School Registrar’s office for verification of eligibility. The Registrar will then notify UHS that the student is eligible to waive these fees as a Traveling Scholar/Study Abroad student studying outside the country.

Harvard Travel Assist

Harvard Travel Assist provides medical and security advice and referrals and emergency evacuation services to Harvard travelers abroad. To ensure access to these services, it is crucial that all international travel be registered in the Harvard Travel Registry. More information can be found on the Harvard Travel Assist portal.