HLS residence license agreement (Dorm) Cancellation Policy
Students who have selected or been assigned an HLS dorm (Gropius Complex, North Hall, or Hastings Hall) may be charged a penalty for canceling the room. The penalty fee will be applied to the Harvard term bill and escalates throughout the summer. Fees for cancelling a resident hall room are:
- Until June 30, 11:59pm ET: No penalty or fee of any kind
- July 1-July 15, 11:59pm ET: $500 cancellation fee, but no liability for room fee
- July 16- July 31, 11:59pm ET: $500 cancellation fee plus full academic year room fee until room is re-filled in which case the cost will be $500 plus the pro-rated fee
- August 1 and through the academic year: $1,000 cancellation fee plus full academic year room fee until room is re-filled in which case the cost will be $1,000 plus the pro-rated fee
Students are officially responsible for the room once they sign the HLS Housing residence license agreement. Penalties will not apply if a student does not sign the residence license agreement.
HLS Apartment Lease Cancellation Policy
Students who have selected a room or apartment in the HLS Apartments (1637 Massachusetts Avenue, 3 Mellen Street, and 5 Mellen Street) are fully liable and responsible for the unit once signing their HLS apartment lease in the Student Life Portal. Students who sign the HLS apartment lease and then decide to cancel are subject to a cancellation penalty and the cost of the unit until it is re-rented. The tiered cancellations mentioned above for the HLS residence license agreement do not apply to HLS apartment leases.
- Date HLS apartment lease is signed until July 31: $500 cancellation fee and the cost of the room until it is re-rented
- August 1 and through the academic year: $1,000 cancellation fee and the cost of the room until it is re-rented
Exceptions to the Cancellation Policies
Students who have a confirmed room or apartment, but will not be enrolled at Harvard Law School, may be granted an exception to the cancellation penalties. This includes:
- deferring admission to Harvard Law School
- withdrawing or declining admission to Harvard Law School
- an approved leave of absence
- study abroad / joint degree program, which will cause student to not be in attendance at Harvard Law School for one or both semester of the academic year
To cancel housing for any of the above exceptions, the student must contact the appropriate office (Admissions, Registrar, etc.) to initiate their leave. HLS Housing will be notified by the relevant office once leave/withdrawal is processed.
Cancelling your Room
To cancel your current housing assignment, please contact Housing@law.harvard.edu.
To cancel your upcoming HLS Housing Room License Agreement or Lease, please log back onto the Student Life Portal and open your housing application. You will find a “Cancel Application” option on the top right of your application.