Position: UNPAID – Fall 2022 – Remote Legal Summer Intern/Extern
Who we are: NYC Office of Technology and Innovation (OTI)
Term: Fall 2022
Start: August 2022
About Us: OTI partners with over 100 government entities to help them obtain the right technology solutions that meet their business needs and delivery services to New Yorkers
• Learn useful skills and advanced knowledge by working with attorneys on issues relating to information technology, contracts, telecommunications, broadband, cybersecurity, privacy, municipal law, employment, conflicts of interest, and Freedom of Information Law (FOIL)
• Under close supervision, perform legal research, draft memoranda, legal opinions, policy statements, agreements, correspondence and other legal documents, attend virtual meetings, and work with clients as directed by attorneys.
• Collect, review, and redact information responsive to subpoenas, discovery requests, and requests pursuant to FOIL.
• Review and identify legal issues in policies, agreements, memoranda, correspondence, and other documents.
• Review and succinctly summarize federal, state, and local law requirements on various issues
Your Experience and Skills:
• Currently enrolled in or recently graduated from a graduate degree program in law school
• Preference for second or third-year law student with government, transactional, information technology, telecommunications, employment, FOIL, contracts, cybersecurity, municipal law, privacy law, and/or Internet
law coursework and/or experience and a demonstrated interest in technology
• You will learn how the Office of the General Counsel vigorously advocates for OTI, the Office of the Cyber Command, and other objectives while managing agency risk and compliance in a practical and effective manner
• You will learn skills and knowledge regarding a wide range of legal fields
• You will meet and work with a wide range of professionals and build your network
The Schedule and Compensation: August 2022 to December 2022
• This position is remote and requires interns to have the ability to connect remotely using their own device(s).
• This position is an unpaid volunteer opportunity; candidates are encouraged to seek funding and/or academic credit from outside sources
• Submit a cover letter, resume, transcript and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org with the title of this internship as the subject line
• Application period closes July 22, 2022
• Learn more about us at https://www1.nyc.gov/site/doitt/index.page