Skip to content

Official Transcripts for Incoming J.D. Students

Incoming J.D. students should provide the following official transcripts to HLS:
  1. Final official transcripts from all post-secondary academic institutions listed on your LSAC CAS report are required prior to registration.
  2. Transcripts from your degree-granting school(s) must show the conferral of your degree(s) and date(s).
  3. If you are currently in a degree program, you must arrange for official transcripts to be sent once your degree has been conferred.

Transcripts submitted to LSAC during the application process are sufficient to meet this requirement unless they were in progress at the time of submission to LSAC. In those cases where an in-progress transcript was submitted to LSAC, we will require a final version to be sent to our office.

Transcript FAQs

  • Transcripts are required for the following schools:
    • All undergraduate and graduate schools listed on your LSAC CAS report. Please be aware that all undergraduate and graduate schools you have attended should be noted on your LSAC CAS report. If we note that some institutions are missing, we will still request those transcripts and associated College Certifications.
    • All undergraduate and graduate courses attempted and/or completed regardless of whether they resulted in degree conferral.
    • Study abroad programs except when the courses, grades, and credits appear on the degree-granting school’s official transcript.
  • Transcripts must be sent from schools even if:
    • Credit was transferred from a school and it appears on another school’s transcript without the credit level and grade awarded clearly noted.
    • The school is closed. These transcripts are usually maintained by the Department of Higher Education or by another school in the state in which the school was located. In these cases, you will need to contact the state’s Department of Higher Education.
    • You have just enrolled. Request that the registrar’s office send a transcript of courses “in progress” or a statement of current enrollment. 
    • You withdrew from the program. Request that the registrar’s office send the most updated transcript along with the an official letter noting your withdrawal.
  • Transcripts are NOT required from the following programs:
    • Dual-enrollment courses taken while in high school.
    • Non-credit-bearing opportunities (i.e., certifications, prerequisite requirements for employment opportunities, etc.). Please contact the Admissions Office if you have any questions about your specific program.
    • Study abroad programs for which courses, grades, and credits appear on the degree-granting institution’s official, finalized transcript.

Please arrange for all required official transcripts to be sent to the J.D. Admissions Office by email ( or by post to the mailing address found here. To be considered official, transcripts must be sent directly from the issuing institution or through a third-party transcript service.

We will email you directly if we have questions or require additional information. Beginning in early May, you can visit your status checker to track your progress in relation to meeting this and other enrollment requirements.

If you are currently enrolled in an academic program, please wait to request transcripts until you have received official grades this semester. If you will not have a finalized transcript and College Certification available by the deadline, please let us know by emailing

You will not be able to pick up your Harvard University ID Card, attend Orientation, or begin your coursework until all of your College Certification forms and official transcripts have been received, reviewed, and approved.