Statistics released by the Social Science Research Network (SSRN) indicate that, as of the end of 2017, Harvard Law School faculty members have continued to feature prominently on SSRN’s list of the 100 most-cited law professors. HLS faculty captured 12 slots — including the number one and two slots — among the top 100 law school professors in all legal areas in terms of citations to their work.
As in previous years, Professor Lucian Bebchuk was ranked first among all law school professors in all-time total citations. Professor Bebchuk’s papers have attracted a total of 4,411 citations as of the end of 2017. Professor Steven Shavell was ranked second, with 3,779 citations.
In addition to Professors Bebchuk and Shavell, ten other HLS faculty members are among SSRN’s list of the 100 most-cited law school professors of all time:
- Cass Sunstein (1,484 citations) — Ranked 4
- Louis Kaplow (1,264 citations) — Ranked 7
- Reinier Kraakman (1,107 citations) — Ranked 9
- Mark Roe (1,103 citations) — Ranked 10
- Jesse Fried (1,096 citations) — Ranked 11
- Alma Cohen (1,037 citations) — Ranked 12
- Allen Ferrell (704 citations) — Ranked 21
- John Coates, IV (240 citations) — Ranked 74
- Oren Bar-Gill (211 citations) — Ranked 88
- Mark Ramseyer (196 citations) — Ranked 95
SSRN is the leading electronic service for social science research, and its electronic library contains (as of January 2018) 657,934 full-text documents by 362, 216 authors.
You can visit the SSRN website to see the top 10 rankings by citation, as well as additional measures tracked by SSRN. Sign in is required to view the full list.