On June 21, The Coalition to Transform Advanced Care (C-TAC), a non-profit organization with a vision of improving advanced illness care for all Americans, and the Petrie-Flom Center for Health Law Policy, Biotechnology, and Bioethics at Harvard Law School, co-hosted the inaugural conference for their new collaboration: The Project on Advanced Care and Health Policy.
The conference, “Aligning Policy and People: Why the Time is Right to Transform Advanced Care,” addressed opportunities to improve advanced illness care delivery, as well as obstacles to be overcome, and it showcased innovations in advanced illness care, said Mark Sterling, senior fellow in advanced care and health policy at the Petrie Flom Center and Chief Strategy Officer at C-TAC.
“Through this collaboration, we hope to harness the energy and experience of leaders in improving advanced care to drive solutions to achieve comprehensive, person-centered care.” “Major strides are taking place to transform how advanced care is delivered in the United States,” said Holly Fernandez Lynch, executive director of the Petrie-Flom Center. “The conference highlighted the work that remains to be done. We’re excited about our collaboration with C-TAC, which will demonstrate how sound public policy can lead our country to do better by patients at the end of life.”
Video of all talks and panels is available below. Conference speakers included:
- Amy Berman, RN, senior program officer, The John A. Hartford Foundation
- Andrew Dreyfus, president and CEO, BlueCross BlueShield of Massachusetts
- Eric Schneidewind, president, AARP
- Vicki Jackson, MD, MPH, chief, Division of Palliative Care, Massachusetts General Hospital
- Suzi Johnson, RN, vice president, Sharp HospiceCare
- Tom Koutsoumpas, co-chair, C-TAC; president and CEO, National Partnership for Hospice Innovation
- Bill Novelli, co-chair, C-TAC; Professor, McDonough School of Business, Georgetown University
- Tyrone Pitts, Progressive National Baptist Convention; senior advisor, C-TAC
- Kristofer Smith, MD, MPP, senior vice president, Office of Population and Health Management; medical director, Northwell Health Solutions
- Bob Sowislo, government affairs officer, US Medical Management
- Harriet Warshaw, executive director, The Conversation Project
The C-TAC/Petrie-Flom Center Project on Advanced Care and Health Policy will identify barriers to comprehensive, person-centered care delivery at the end of life, and find timely, practical, and actionable policy strategies to address them through interdisciplinary analysis of important health law and policy issues.
For more information, visit http://petrieflom.law.harvard.edu/events/details/aligning-policy-and-people.