Lecturer on Law
The Hon. Jay D. Blitzman, First Justice-Massachusetts Juvenile Court, Middlesex Division, Ret.
Prior to his judicial appointment, Judge Blitzman was a founder and the first director of the Roxbury Youth Advocacy Project, a community based interdisciplinary public defender unit which created the basis for the development of a statewide department. Jay also co-founded Citizen’s for Juvenile Justice (CfJJ) and serves on their advisory committee. He is a founder of Massachusetts Bar Association Juvenile and Child Welfare Section and is a section member. Jay is a co-founder of Our RJ, formerly known as the Juvenile Court Restorative Justice Diversion program. Jay also serves on the advisory committee of UTEC in Lowell, MA. Jay is a member of the BBA Steering Committee on the Cradle-to-Prison Pipeline, and the ABA Commission on Youth at Risk. Jay is also a faculty member of the Massachusetts General Hospital’s Center for Law Brain and Behavior (CLBB). He is a member of the National Juvenile Defender Center Judicial Advisory Council and has co-authored bench cards on honoring Gault, adolescent development, racial and ethnic bias, sexual orientation and gender, fines & fees & bail, and collateral consequences.
Committee Appointments and Membership Include:
- ABA Commission on Youth At Risk (Committee Member (Current)
- Boston Bar Association Steering Committee: Cradle to Prison Pipeline
- Judicial Advisory Council- National Juvenile Defender Center; contributor to national juvenile bench cards on variety of topics (access to counsel; adolescent development; bail, fines, fees; racial and ethnic disparities and bias; sexual orientation, gender identification and expression; this activity is current, and cards are approved by National Council of Juvenile and Family Court Judges (NCJFCJ)
- Supreme Judicial Court (SJC) Committee on Judicial Ethics
- SJC Committee on Rules of Criminal Responsibility
- SJC Study Group on Judicial Conduct
- SJC Study Group on Eyewitness Identification
- SJC Standing Committee on Eyewitness Identification (Current)
- SJC Trial Court Jury Advisory Committee
- Massachusetts Trial Court Committee on Fines, Fees, and Assessments
- Chair and Contributor: Massachusetts Juvenile Court Best Dispositional Sentencing Practices Committee, Report and Bench Card
- Juvenile Court Raise the Age Study Committee
- Juvenile Court Alternative Dispute Resolution Committee
- Designated Juvenile Court Mentor
- ABA Criminal Justice and Juvenile Justice Committees (Current)
- MBA Juvenile and Child Welfare Section Council (Current)
- Boston Bar Association Criminal Justice and Juvenile Justice Committees
- National Council of Juvenile and Family Court Judges
- ABA and MBA Bar Association Foundation Member
Board and Advisory Board Appointments
- Our Restorative Justice Our RJ) Advisory Board; a co-founder and former Board Member of Our RJ, a diversionary restorative justice program in Middlesex County, MA.
- Citizens for Juvenile Justice; (CfJJ) Advisory Board; Co-Founder and Advisory Board Member.
- UTEC- Advisory Board Member
- Lowell School Strategic Plan- Former Advisory Board Member
- RISE Cambridge Health Alliance Initiative- Former Advisory Board Memberli>
- Light of Cambodian Children- former Board Member
- Massachusetts Children’s Trust- former Board Member
- Northeastern University School of Law: Juvenile Courts (Current)
- Harvard Law School Trial Advocacy Workshop Team Leader (Current)
- Boston University School of Law- Community Courts
- Suffolk Law School- Trial Advocacy and Criminal Practice
- Livingston Hall Juvenile Justice Award (ABA Criminal Justice Section 2019)
- Rebecca Pries Indispensable Friend Award- Middlesex Juvenile Court Clinic (Adolescent Consultation Services 2019).
- Multi-Systemic Services (MST) Whatever It Takes All-Star (National MST Services Award 2019)
- State Juvenile Detention Alternative Initiative Appreciation Award (2019)
- Massachusetts Bar Association Juvenile Justice and Child Welfare Award (first recipient, 2019)
- Lowell 100 Honoree- International Institute of New England for supporting immigrant and refugee populations in Lowell, MA (2019)
- Servant of Justice Award (Greater Lowell Bar Association 2016).
- Adolescent Consultation Services Award (Middlesex Juvenile Court Clinic 2015)
- Massachusetts Juvenile Detention Alternative Initiative Special Recognition Award (2013)
- Justice Leo Lydon Award (Massachusetts Juvenile Bar Association 2009)
- Boston Bar Association John Brooks Public Service Award
- Trial Court Innovation Grant to Develop Diversionary Restorative Justice Program in Middlesex County (2014).
- National Council of Juvenile and Family Court Judges School Pathways to Juvenile Justice Initiative (In 2013, Middlesex County Juvenile Court was one of sixteen sites selected to participate in the National Council of Juvenile and Family Court Judges School Pathways to Juvenile Court Initiative).
- Boston Inns of Court Best Actor Oscar (2007-2008)
- Judge Blitzman is also a member of the Screen Actors Guild, Actor’s Equity, and has served as the writer’s consultant on the television series The Trials of Rosie O’Neil, and Judging Amy.
- The Massachusetts Committee for Public Counsel Services (CPCS- the state’s public defender agency) annually presents the Jay D. Blitzman Youth Advocacy Award.