ebietti [at] sjd.law.harvard.edu
Joint Postdoctoral Fellow, NYU School of Law and Cornell Tech
Affiliate, Berkman Klein Center for Internet and Society at Harvard
Visiting Fellow, Information Society Project at Yale Law School
Law, Freedom and Power in the Digital Platform Economy
Fields of Research and Supervisors
- Internet Regulation, Law and Policy with Professor Yochai Benkler, Harvard Law School, Principal Faculty Supervisor
- Comparative EU-US Perspectives on Cyberlaw and Privacy with Professor Urs Gasser, Harvard Law School
- Constitutional Theory, Nonconsequentialist Normative Ethical Theory and Political Philosophy with Professor Richard Fallon, Harvard Law School
- Political Philosophy with Professor Lucas Stanczyk, Philosophy Department, Harvard Graduate School of Arts and Sciences
Additional Research Interests
- Law and Technology
- Antitrust Law
- Intellectual Property
- Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning
- Harvard Law School, S.J.D. Candidate 2022
- Oxford University, Diploma in Intellectual Property Law and Practice, 2016
- Harvard Law School, LL.M., 2012
- UCL, U.K., LL.B. 2011
Academic Appointments and Fellowships
- Yale Law School, Information Society Project, 2020- present, Visiting Fellow
- Harvard University, Berkman Klein Center for Internet and Society, 2017- present, Affiliate
- Harvard University, Kennedy Sinclair Scholar, 2019-20
- Harvard University, Edmond J. Safra Center for Ethics, 2018-19, Eugene P. Beard Graduate Fellow
- Harvard Law School, 2018-19 and 2020-21, Teaching Fellow
- Harvard Law School, 2018-19, Teaching Assistant
- Consent as a Free Pass: Platform Power and the Limits of the Informational Turn, Pace Law Review (2020), https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3489577.
- The Discourse of Consent and Control over Data in EU Data Protection Law and Beyond, Aegis Paper Series, Hoover Institution (2020), https://www.hoover.org/profiles/elettra-bietti.
- From Ethics Washing to Ethics Bashing: A View on Tech Ethics from Within Moral Philosophy, Proceedings of ACM FAT* Conference (FAT* 2020), https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3513182.
- Locked-in Data Production: User Freedom and Capture in the Platform Economy, Working Paper, https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3469819. A short version of this paper has been published on the Edmond J. Safra Center for Ethics’ For the Record Blog (May 13, 2019): https://ethics.harvard.edu/elettra-bietti-may-13-2019.
- Dissolving Privacy One Merger at a Time: Competition, Data and Third Party Tracking, (with Reuben Binns), https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3269473, Computer Law and Security Review (2020). Short version on the DLI Blog.
- Data is power: Towards additional guidance on profiling and automated decision-making in the GDPR, 2 Journal of Information Rights, Policy and Practice (2017) (with Frederike Kaltheuner), https://doi.org/10.21039/irpandp.v2i2.45.
- Languages: English, Italian, French
- Qualified to practice law in: New York, USA (2013), England and Wales (2016)
Last Updated: August 18th, 2022