Your browser does not support JavaScript

HLS requires student aid applicants to provide financial information regarding all parents, including biological parents, step-parents, adoptive parents, and legal guardians, even in cases where parents are divorced. After documents are submitted, the HLS Financial Aid Committee will determine the appropriate information that will be incorporated into the parent resource assessment.

Depending on your circumstances, you will be required to submit one or more of the following via our Secure Upload Form.

  • Parent 2016 1040 with All Schedules & W2s
  • Parent 2016 Canadian Tax Return with All Schedules, Statements, & T4s
  • Parent 2016 International Income Doc:
    • 2016 International Tax Returns
    • 2016 International Earnings Statements (when tax returns are unavailable)

NOTE: 2015 or preceding year’s tax documentation WILL NOT be accepted in place of 2016.


US Federal Returns

If you are applying for HLS need-based grant assistance and your parent(s) were required to file a U.S. Federal tax return in 2016, then they are required to submit their complete Federal tax documentation (1040 with all schedules and all W2s) to HLS Student Financial Services.

Canadian Tax Returns

If your  parents file a Canadian tax return, you will be required to submit their complete Canadian tax return (full version with all schedules, statements, and T4s) to HLS Student Financial Services.

Other International Returns/Earnings Statements

Students whose parents did not file a US Federal tax return or Canadian tax return in 2016 are required to document their earnings by submitting complete international tax documentation, if available; or, if this is not possible, an earnings statement from each of their parent’s 2016 employers (on official letterhead).

Please note the following when submitting international financial information:

  • All tax documentation or earnings statements submitted should be translated and all monetary figures converted into U.S. currency. To assist you in making all necessary monetary conversions, you may utilize Universal Currency Converter®.
  • Please make certain to list on your materials the conversion rate used.
  • International students whose parents own business, farms or personal real estate must also submit any relevant business statements they have, or business returns they file in their home country.


We will not use the step-parent’s income in the determination of your eligibility for need based aid. However we still need to collect tax data because we do factor the net worth of all parental assets into our determination of the student’s eligibility for aid. Our policy is to compile total net worth and then divide it in half to remove the 50% that belongs to the step-parent from our eligibility calculation.


While 2016 PARENT Federal tax information is ALWAYS required if you are applying for need-based grant assistance, you will notice that in most cases we DO NOT require 2016 student tax information (or 2016 student W2 information). This is because our determination of any assessed parental resources from income is based on prior tax year data, while our determination of any student contribution from income is based on projected summer 2017 income (which will submitted on the Student Financial Resources Web Form. Therefore, the student’s prior tax year data is not relevant for how we award our institutional need-based aid. Having said this, if your application is randomly selected to participate in either the Federal or Institutional Verification processes, we MAY contact you and ask you to submit your 2016 Federal tax data as part of these processes. Other than for these specific auditing purposes, we ask that you DO NOT submit your (the student) 2016 Federal tax returns or W2’s. Students who accidentally submit these documents when not required should understand that they will be destroyed.

Complete documentation entails:

  • A signed copy of your parents’ 2016 U.S. Federal tax form – 1040 (both pages) or 1040A (both pages) or 1040EZ
  • All Schedules/Statements filed with your parent’s 2016 Federal tax return
  • All 2016 W-2’s (the total dollar value of the W-2’s should match the amount reported for “Income Earned from Work” on the Federal tax return you filed)
  • If your parents’ do not have W2s we will remove this as a required document once we receive the Federal Tax Return (1040) and verify there is no amount reported for “Income Earned from Work”.
  • Full 2016 Canadian T1 General with all Schedules, Statements, and T4s
  • International Returns or Earnings statements, if applicable (see above)
  • If your parents’ did not file taxes, they must provide documentation of any earnings, as well as, submit our Monthly Cash Flow Web Form.

Helpful Hints

  • No 2015 or preceding year’s tax documentation will be accepted in place of 2016.
  • Please DO NOT submit your parent’s 2016 STATE income tax documentation.
  • Always verify the total dollar value of the W-2’s matches the amount reported for “Income Earned from Work” on the Federal tax return you filed.
  • If your parent(s) e-filed, a copy of Form 8453-OL, which serves as a summary page of your e-filing, is not sufficient. You need to submit this along with the more detailed pages used to create this summary page. In addition, you need to be sure to sign all pages before submitting them. These detail pages should exist within the software you used to e-file. If you cannot get this information, you will need to replicate your filing on Form 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ.
  • If your parent(s) filed a Canadian tax return, the T1 General-Condensed, which is an abbreviated version of the tax return, is not sufficient documentation. You must submit the full T1 General tax return.