- The 2016-2017 financial aid application process for New Students Entering HLS in the Fall of 2016 will open in late February 2016. Watch your HLS Email for details once the process is open.
- Continuing Students cannot begin the process of applying for aid for 2016-17 until late March, 2016. Once the process is up and running for continuing students, a notification will be sent via email inviting students to begin the process.
Welcome to the HLS Financial Aid Application Process! While we know applying for financial aid can be confusing, we hope that our step-by-step approach will make it as simple as possible. We want to help you understand what is required when, and why. The timeline for the entire application process covers much of the calendar year, with various steps along the way. This section gives a brief overview of the steps so that you can anticipate what’s next. We will email you regularly throughout the process to keep you posted on your application status and will always let you know when you can take action on the next step.
- Step 1 – Completing Your Preliminary Financial Aid Application
In this step you will submit the online HLS financial aid application, which will then create a personalized list of required documents for you to complete. Once all of your documents are received, we can begin reviewing your application to determine a provisional award offer.
- Step 2 – Reviewing/Understanding Your Provisional Financial Aid Award Offer
Once we complete our review of your application, you will receive email notification (on a rolling basis for admitted students and in July for returning students) of your provisional award. We use the word provisional because HLS financial aid awards are not final until the fall review process concludes in October of each academic year. When you receive your provisional award notification, review the information we provide and contact us with any questions.
- Step 3 – Understand and Apply for Your Loans
This step will help you understand the various loan options available so you can secure the funding you need. We will outline both the details of the loans you were offered as part of your aid package and your supplemental loan options for funding up to the entire cost of attendance.
- Step 4 – Obtaining Financial Clearance for Fall Registration and Receiving Your Fall Cash Advance Check
You will receive email notice of your fall semester charges in July from Harvard University’s central Student Receivables Office. You should ensure that your provisional financial aid award is sufficient to cover your fall balance. If it is not, you should plan to make an e-payment or apply for a supplemental education loan. If your anticipated financial aid credits exceed the total of your fall charges, you will be eligible for a fall cash advance check that can be used for living expenses. Eligible students will receive this check during the fall registration period.
- Step 5 – Finalizing Your Financial Aid Award and Getting Your Aid Disbursed
Financial aid awards are always provisional until the completion of our fall award review process in September and October of each academic year. In late August/early September we will send you a reminder of everything you will need to do to finalize your award; this includes e-signing master promissory notes for any federal and institutional loans in your package, completing an online financial aid entrance counseling session, submitting any remaining documentation still listed as outstanding in “Your Documents”, and completing the online Summer Income and Expense Update Web Form. After receiving all of this final documentation, we will review your file again, and notify you of your final aid package. Grant recipients should expect to receive their final award notification no later than November 1 of each academic year.